1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
skoobily doobily

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby skoobily doobily » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:02 am

romothesavior wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Can't wait to fail civpro in the morning! 8)

At least when you fail your Civ Pro exam, you won't have a 20 minute scooter ride (read: sustained 40mph winds) in 29 degree weather under your belt. The worst part is having been born and raised in Florida, and so only owning 3-4 light jackets to layer on top of each other.

Is it really that cold where you are?

http://preview.weather.com/weather/hour ... raph/30317

It's only a matter of time before I simply die from low body temperature on the way to school. Hopefully before my K's exam.

crEEp

Postby crEEp » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:02 am

apper123 wrote:Just keep it fresh, go to your outlines during the exam if you need to (I assume open book), and apply the law to the facts apply the law to the facts apply the law to the facts and you'll be fine. Oh, remember to apply the law to the facts.

Best advice ever. I intentionally make myself pissed off before an exam and try to write really terse answers with zero fluff. I don't retype the rules. I don't give a historical analysis. I don't create bullshit hypos (IF YOU'RE ON THE MOON AND SOMEONE SHOOTS A GUN AT YOU AND THE 1/6 GRAVITATIONAL FORCE CAUSES THE BULLET TO ACTUALLY HIT YOUR HEART INSTEAD OF YOUR STOMACH...). I just apply the law to the facts.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:08 am

crEEp wrote:
apper123 wrote:Just keep it fresh, go to your outlines during the exam if you need to (I assume open book), and apply the law to the facts apply the law to the facts apply the law to the facts and you'll be fine. Oh, remember to apply the law to the facts.

Best advice ever. I intentionally make myself pissed off before an exam and try to write really terse answers with zero fluff. I don't retype the rules. I don't give a historical analysis. I don't create bullshit hypos (IF YOU'RE ON THE MOON AND SOMEONE SHOOTS A GUN AT YOU AND THE 1/6 GRAVITATIONAL FORCE CAUSES THE BULLET TO ACTUALLY HIT YOUR HEART INSTEAD OF YOUR STOMACH...). I just apply the law to the facts.

I just keep watching this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMk5sMHj58I

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:09 am

7am in the library, what the fuck is wrong with me? It'd be much more convenient to embrace the under-achiever in me, blergh.

crEEp

Postby crEEp » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:19 am

beach_terror wrote:7am in the library, what the fuck is wrong with me? It'd be much more convenient to embrace the under-achiever in me, blergh.

I have an exam in a couple hours, and I stayed up all night playing starcraft 2. I'm just trying to help my classmates.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:44 am

crEEp wrote:
beach_terror wrote:7am in the library, what the fuck is wrong with me? It'd be much more convenient to embrace the under-achiever in me, blergh.

I have an exam in a couple hours, and I stayed up all night playing starcraft 2. I'm just trying to help my classmates.

You're an honorable fellow.

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:44 am

Welp, the classes in the other section is currently fighting their civ pro final right now.

After they're done at 12, my section will march in at 1 and prepare for our battle : (

I got here early so I could wish all my friends in that section good luck.

Now I am studying alone in the library : (

kxz

Postby kxz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:25 pm

I'll wish you good luck.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:40 pm

stratocophic wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Can't wait to fail civpro in the morning! 8)

At least when you fail your Civ Pro exam, you won't have a 20 minute scooter ride (read: sustained 40mph winds) in 29 degree weather under your belt. The worst part is having been born and raised in Florida, and so only owning 3-4 light jackets to layer on top of each other.

Heck man, it's that cold here and we're not even that far north

I know, but he's even further south than we are. I just looked it up, that's crazy.

I am really looking forward to some snow here.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:45 pm

romothesavior wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:At least when you fail your Civ Pro exam, you won't have a 20 minute scooter ride (read: sustained 40mph winds) in 29 degree weather under your belt. The worst part is having been born and raised in Florida, and so only owning 3-4 light jackets to layer on top of each other.

Heck man, it's that cold here and we're not even that far north

I know, but he's even further south than we are. I just looked it up, that's crazy.

I am really looking forward to some snow here.
Yikes. Thus neutralizing the only advantage Emory had over WUSTL for me.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:16 pm

Civ Pro outline done, finally. Fucking dragged ass doing a bunch of the rules outlining (thank god it's pretty straight forward). Now, to internalize this bitch. Any suggestions outside of hypos and straight memorization?

Roughly 1/3 of our class assignments pertained to personal jurisdiction - and everything up to choice of law covered about 70% of the course.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:20 pm

So I finished all my outlines early last week and I'm barely studying now. dur de dur headed for bottom of the class

No really, I feel like my school has like 1L for Babychildren or something...our schedule goes like this:

12/7, 1:30: Tizzorts
12/10, 1:30: Ks
12/15, 8:30: Crim
12/18, 8:30: Civ Pro

We get the hardest exam last and what ought to be the most straightforward first. Honestly I would be much better off squeezing everything into like half that time. The only exam I have that's completely closed everything is Crim, and even then, she gives us a statute to work from. Torts I can have my outlines, Ks I can have Rest/UCC marked up + two handwritten crib sheets, and Civ Pro is open materials. That said I don't plan on really using anything I bring in, and on all the practice questions I've tried out I haven't needed to reference much of anything...

I'm totally at my saturation point for Torts. It's just freaking TORTS and I'm getting really anxious to stroll in there, try to kill it, and be done. I have no clue how people spent the entire weekend huddled in our medieval dungeon of a library studying. No. Clue.

So ready to be done with this guyz

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:30 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:I'm totally at my saturation point for Torts. It's just freaking TORTS and I'm getting really anxious to stroll in there, try to kill it, and be done. I have no clue how people spent the entire weekend huddled in our medieval dungeon of a library studying. No. Clue.

I have torts as my first exam as well. Very conventional test, lots of practice exams/model answers/previous A exams available. Curve is going to suck.

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:31 pm

kxz wrote:I'll wish you good luck.

Thanks man.

Going into the battlefield now.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:46 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:I'm totally at my saturation point for Torts. It's just freaking TORTS and I'm getting really anxious to stroll in there, try to kill it, and be done. I have no clue how people spent the entire weekend huddled in our medieval dungeon of a library studying. No. Clue.

I have torts as my first exam as well. Very conventional test, lots of practice exams/model answers/previous A exams available. Curve is going to suck.

Traditional torts exams are the only exams I think typing speed will be a sizable advantage. Our torts teacher told us today that she rarely ever has any hand written exams that do particularly well.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:49 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Traditional torts exams are the only exams I think typing speed will be a sizable advantage. Our torts teacher told us today that she rarely ever has any hand written exams that do particularly well.

Agreed. I think most of the A papers tend to fall in the 6000-7000 word zone.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:13 pm

right there with you man, been at my home desk since 7am working on this civ pro outline/doing E&E hypos

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:31 pm

Civ pro exam in 12 minutes FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:45 pm

skoobily doobily wrote:Civ pro exam in 12 minutes FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

DOMINATION!

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:14 pm

Can someone reconcile the Gibbs 3 part test for supplemental jurisdiction with Exxon (or any case involving additional claims against additional parties that arise from the same nucleus)? Gibbs first step is 1P suing 1D. Is Gibbs just referring specifically to pendent jurisdiction, and not ancillary jurisdiction?

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:40 pm

finished crim. my mind feels like a sieve. if i try to read right now it'll hold onto nothing.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:41 pm

Going into lockdown mode until 12/17. See y'all on the flipside!

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:45 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Agreed. I think most of the A papers tend to fall in the 6000-7000 word zone.

In a four hour exam!? :shock:

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:49 pm

beach_terror wrote:Can someone reconcile the Gibbs 3 part test for supplemental jurisdiction with Exxon (or any case involving additional claims against additional parties that arise from the same nucleus)? Gibbs first step is 1P suing 1D. Is Gibbs just referring specifically to pendent jurisdiction, and not ancillary jurisdiction?

Nevermind - got it. Fuckin' Aldinger.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:50 pm

los blancos wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
most of the A papers tend to fall in the 6000-7000 word zone.

In a four hour exam!? :shock:

PLUS
--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”