1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
goosey

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby goosey » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:59 pm

ReesesPieces15 wrote:Stupid Civ Pro Q: Do long arm statutes apply only to cases brought in state court?

no. If a federal ct is sitting in diversity jdx, they apply that state's long arm statute [have been studying civ pro all day]

In order to establish jdx over a defendant you would need to have [if no consent] general personal jdx + comports with st long arm statute or else specific personal jdx + comports w state long arm statute---so yeah, they apply to cases in federal ct too

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:09 am

romothesavior wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:To any non 1Ls in this thread attending a school that lets you choose when you take your finals:

I hate all of you.

<3 OS

I am SOOO looking forward to doing this next year. If I could do it now, I would take my property and torts exams ASAP, and leave like a week and a half to study for Ks.

How many schools get to do this? I know the Virginians do, and I gave them grief for it. :) We can technically have ours moved if they fall within 48 hours of another exam, but it's done by petition to the registrar and has to be approved. It just means I have to be disciplined, unfortunately. :oops:

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:12 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:To any non 1Ls in this thread attending a school that lets you choose when you take your finals:

I hate all of you.

<3 OS

I am SOOO looking forward to doing this next year. If I could do it now, I would take my property and torts exams ASAP, and leave like a week and a half to study for Ks.

How many schools get to do this? I know the Virginians do, and I gave them grief for it. :) We can technically have ours moved if they fall within 48 hours of another exam, but it's done by petition to the registrar and has to be approved. It just means I have to be disciplined, unfortunately. :oops:

Thank god we don't have this, knowing me I'd always be taking all my exams back to back to back on the last day allowed.

goosey

Postby goosey » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:20 am

question: for exams that go 1-4 pm, should I study all morning? or should I relax..work out before, etc?

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:26 am

goosey wrote:question: for exams that go 1-4 pm, should I study all morning? or should I relax..work out before, etc?

Relax on the day of! Also eat something, and bring a jacket or blanket with you so you'll be as comfortable as possible.

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:28 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I hate all of you.

<3 OS

We have this, although not for the 1L required classes. I'm looking forward to being able to do that for my two electives in the spring.

mths

Postby mths » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:30 am

goosey wrote:question: for exams that go 1-4 pm, should I study all morning? or should I relax..work out before, etc?

I would kill myself if all my exams didn't start in the am.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:43 am

mths wrote:

I would just end up studying till 4 or so and then wake up at 11.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:45 am

Helmholtz wrote:
mths wrote:

I would just end up studying till 4 or so and then wake up at 11.

Pretty much same here. In fact I did that last night, though my exams have yet to start. /procrastination!

Postby 09042014 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:50 am

My undergrad has testing periods that started at 7pm, even for midterms. It was nice. Study all day, get some dinner then go get em.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:51 am

Tomorrow, 8:30am. Shit hits the fan.
:mrgreen:

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:59 am

Desert Fox wrote:My undergrad has testing periods that started at 7pm, even for midterms. It was nice. Study all day, get some dinner then go get em.

We had that for midterms (at the professor's discretion), but any registrar-scheduled finals were during the day. It was up to the prof whether to have a scheduled final, though, and quite a few were self-scheduled or take-home.

kxz

Postby kxz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:01 am

FML. Ravens lost and I'm back to studying.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:41 am

If it makes anyone feel better, I outlined (nearly) all my classes ~48 hours before each exam last year and did fine. For two of my classes (CivPro and Property), I didn't even do an outline. Once you have a mastery of how to apply the material, simply knowing the material is all that matters. For those of you who outlined through the entire semester, don't neglect the beginning of your outline. I kind of felt like I was at an advantage outlining so close to the final because I had everything fresh in my mind and couldn't afford to just blow anything off. I also work well under pressure.

If you had asked me 24 hours before my CivPro exam what joinder was, I honestly would have had no idea what to tell you (prob couldn't even told you what rule #s it was), and that's the question I scored the highest on on the exam.

Just keep it fresh, go to your outlines during the exam if you need to (I assume open book), and apply the law to the facts apply the law to the facts apply the law to the facts and you'll be fine. Oh, remember to apply the law to the facts.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:49 am

apper123 wrote:I kind of felt like I was at an advantage outlining so close to the final because I had everything fresh in my mind and couldn't afford to just blow anything off. I also work well under pressure.

This. Oh, and also this:

apper123 wrote:Oh, remember to apply the law to the facts.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:52 am

apper123 wrote:If it makes anyone feel better, I outlined (nearly) all my classes ~48 hours before each exam last year and did fine. For two of my classes (CivPro and Property), I didn't even do an outline. Once you have a mastery of how to apply the material, simply knowing the material is all that matters. For those of you who outlined through the entire semester, don't neglect the beginning of your outline. I kind of felt like I was at an advantage outlining so close to the final because I had everything fresh in my mind and couldn't afford to just blow anything off. I also work well under pressure.

If you had asked me 24 hours before my CivPro exam what joinder was, I honestly would have had no idea what to tell you (prob couldn't even told you what rule #s it was), and that's the question I scored the highest on on the exam.

Just keep it fresh, go to your outlines during the exam if you need to (I assume open book), and apply the law to the facts apply the law to the facts apply the law to the facts and you'll be fine. Oh, remember to apply the law to the facts.

This makes me feel way better, apper! This is also how I learn. If I had started outlining in September, I'd have forgotten everything by now. *sigh*

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:56 am

kxz wrote:FML. Ravens lost and I'm back to studying.

We can't help that Polamalu is a boss.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:05 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
apper123 wrote:If it makes anyone feel better, I outlined (nearly) all my classes ~48 hours before each exam last year and did fine. For two of my classes (CivPro and Property), I didn't even do an outline. Once you have a mastery of how to apply the material, simply knowing the material is all that matters. For those of you who outlined through the entire semester, don't neglect the beginning of your outline. I kind of felt like I was at an advantage outlining so close to the final because I had everything fresh in my mind and couldn't afford to just blow anything off. I also work well under pressure.

This makes me feel way better, apper! This is also how I learn. If I had started outlining in September, I'd have forgotten everything by now. *sigh*

I just do the readings, keep up with class discussion, take good notes and then a couple days before each final pound out an outline pretty much up to literally the last minute, go into the class room, drop some WPMs (that's a joke, don't freak out) and hope for the best. Same?

Edit - also obv scan practice exams to strategize, but I've never in my life actually sat down and done a full practice exam or even written out a complete answer

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:07 am

Can't wait to fail civpro in the morning! 8)

apper123

Postby apper123 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:10 am

Holly Golightly wrote:Can't wait to fail civpro in the morning! 8)

CivPro is one class where if you have your rulebook and a solid grasp of the policy behind how rules are interpreted or why they are enacted, you'll be fine. Your prof may even ask you, purposely, to use a rule you never studied in class that year.

Oh, another tip. Every freaking word in the fact pattern is essential. Every word is in there for a reason. If you read something and think, "oh, that's odd" it's probably REALLY important.

But be careful for red herrings.

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:22 am

At least when you fail your Civ Pro exam, you won't have a 20 minute scooter ride (read: sustained 40mph winds) in 29 degree weather under your belt. The worst part is having been born and raised in Florida, and so only owning 3-4 light jackets to layer on top of each other.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:24 am

skoobily doobily wrote:

At least when you fail your Civ Pro exam, you won't have a 20 minute scooter ride (read: sustained 40mph winds) in 29 degree weather under your belt. The worst part is having been born and raised in Florida, and so only owning 3-4 light jackets to layer on top of each other.
You know that COL loans aren't specifically earmarked only for alcohol, yes?

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:31 am

stratocophic wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:

You know that COL loans aren't specifically earmarked only for alcohol, yes?

Being rational was never one of my strong suits.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:55 am

skoobily doobily wrote:

Is it really that cold where you are?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:56 am

romothesavior wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:

Is it really that cold where you are?
Heck man, it's that cold here and we're not even that far north

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”