1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mths

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby mths » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:36 pm

SmittenMitten wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Sorry I should have said my civ pro only has four main issues on each test. He picks 4 out of pleading, discovery, summary judgment, personal jurisdiction, and erie doctrine.

Wow. that must be nice. No venue/Preclusion/subjectmatter

we have Venue, PJ, Pleading, Joinder, Amendments, Discovery, provisional remedies, rules of evidence, preclusion, sumjudge, erie...

fucking everything

4 substantive classes as well...

twert

Postby twert » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:38 pm

mths wrote:
SmittenMitten wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Sorry I should have said my civ pro only has four main issues on each test. He picks 4 out of pleading, discovery, summary judgment, personal jurisdiction, and erie doctrine.

we have Venue, PJ, Pleading, Joinder, Amendments, Discovery, provisional remedies, rules of evidence, preclusion, sumjudge, erie...

fucking everything

who doesn't have four substantive classes? What would they have instead. My classes are each 3 credits. do some people have 4 credit doctrinal classes?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:41 pm

twert wrote:who doesn't have four substantive classes? What would they have instead. My classes are each 3 credits. do some people have 4 credit doctrinal classes?

Yea some do.

NU used to but they cut them down a while back.

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:42 pm

twert wrote:
mths wrote:
SmittenMitten wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

fucking everything

who doesn't have four substantive classes? What would they have instead. My classes are each 3 credits. do some people have 4 credit doctrinal classes?

3 substantive classes and a graded legal writing course.

Everything on that list for civ pro, except minus joinder and plus right to jury trial

twert

Postby twert » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:43 pm

having only three doctrinal classes sounds brutal to me. less to learn means a tighter curve

goosey

Postby goosey » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:44 pm

beach_terror wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:As for Goosey? PEOPLE. Goosey rules. :mrgreen: (Hai, honey - get together during break?)

Nobody said she didn't, I'm just surprised she's still alive. She stopped posting for a week or two - I was sure she had kicked the bucket.

lol..nope, still alive and kicking. I just realized I spend a lot more time on tls now that finals started. I wonder if thats a bad sign.

nygrrrl, for sure! my last final is on the 21st, free any time after that :)

i just wrote out my intro blurbs for civ pro [consent and personal jdx so far]. I am going to have so many damn papers with me on test day...I want to get rid of some of this stuff. Considering getting it bound at staples (2.99, awesome)...so like one sep "book" for blurbs, one for my huge massive outline that has every little detail in it (that i will hopefully never have to look at), one for rules and statutes, and one for my bare bones outline.

Question about an issue checklist: should it just be basic ideas like this:

Personal Jdx
Subject Matter Jdx
Erie

or should it have main points under each one?

ps: i have one 5 credit class (civ pro), one 4 cr class (torts) one 3 cr class (crim) and one 2 cr class (legal writing)

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:45 pm

Some of us have 3 classes... others, 4... others yet, 5... all with varying amounts of credit... and with or without graded LR&W...

We are all so different, but united through lawl school

:lol:

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:46 pm

We have three substantive classes per semester plus LAWR. CivPro, Contracts, Torts first semester and Property, Crim and ConLaw next semester. We don't have any year long classes or first year electives though, which a lot of schools with four substantive classes do. Our classes are all 4 credit, except LAWR, which is 2.

CivPro in all one semester was insanity, though. I can see why a lot of schools split it up.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:47 pm

twert wrote:who doesn't have four substantive classes? What would they have instead. My classes are each 3 credits. do some people have 4 credit doctrinal classes?

3 Substantive Classes @ NYU. I feel like we're not learning much when I hear about all the classes others are taking, but then when I hear what they're learning in each class I feel a little better.

We've gone over so much crap in CivPro. Our professor told his that his exams are hard as hell, but "it's okay because you're all smart." QUE?

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:47 pm

twert wrote:having only three doctrinal classes sounds brutal to me. less to learn means a tighter curve

how do you know exactly what I want to hear so close to my first final? :shock:

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:50 pm

SmittenMitten wrote:
twert wrote:having only three doctrinal classes sounds brutal to me. less to learn means a tighter curve

Thinking three classes means "less to learn" :lol: :lol:. No, instead we do less crap filler and entire courses are shoved into one semester.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:52 pm

twert wrote:
mths wrote:
SmittenMitten wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

fucking everything

We have four-credit substantive courses at UT.

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:52 pm

keg411 wrote:
SmittenMitten wrote:

Thinking three classes means "less to learn" :lol: :lol:. No, instead we do less crap filler and entire courses are shoved into one semester.

I feel like there is still a ton to learn-especially since my prof wants all cases memorized including facts of the cases for his multiple choice-and to cite on exams.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:54 pm

5 classes + LRW here, but all of the classes are 2-semester except for Crim / Con.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:00 pm

4 classes + graded LRW

each semester consists of 2 year-long courses (contracts and civ pro), and 2 semester long courses

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:01 pm

I'm gonna do this right after I walk into the exam room

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iOUubdyLLo

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:03 pm

SmittenMitten wrote:
keg411 wrote:
SmittenMitten wrote:

I feel like there is still a ton to learn-especially since my prof wants all cases memorized including facts of the cases for his multiple choice-and to cite on exams.

I agree. lol-ing at the poster who said people with fewer substantive classes have "less to learn".

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:06 pm

keg411 wrote:
I agree. lol-ing at the poster who said people with fewer substantive classes have "less to learn".

3 substantive classes here. My crim teachers wants fact heavy analysis with citations to pretty much every case we've learned. So if it's a homicide case, we should be incorporating every case we read on that particular type of homicide.

Not looking forward to that exam at all.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:08 pm

I can't bring myself to study for crim at all, since he just gives us the statutes. Prob. bad.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:09 pm

To those about to head into finals (my first of the year is on Wednesday):

--ImageRemoved--

I would tell you it gets better by 2L year, and it usually does, but I am the designated worrier for my former section. Someone has to hold the torch aloft!

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:12 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:To those about to head into finals (my first of the year is on Wednesday):

I would tell you it gets better by 2L year, and it usually does, but I am the designated worrier for my former section. Someone has to hold the torch aloft!

Thanks! I'll take all the luck/prayer/witchcraft/runes/TheSecret I can get!

mths

Postby mths » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:18 pm

uwb09 wrote:4 classes + graded LRW

each semester consists of 2 year-long courses (contracts and civ pro), and 2 semester long courses

I feel like you go to cornell....

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:35 pm

bostonian wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
mths wrote:I don't know how anyone can get through law school without alcohol.

This. I stopped drinking like 2 weeks ago and I'm salivating just thinking about how much I plan on drinking ont he 16th.

Planning a repeat performance of Oct. 9?

I've cut back on drinking somewhat, but I don't want to stop entirely and then die next Thursday.

Trying to figure out wtf October 9 was...

I can't wait for death on the 16th! :mrgreen:

goosey

Postby goosey » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:14 pm

how long until everyones first final? and which class?

stayway

Postby stayway » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:25 pm

goosey wrote:how long until everyones first final? and which class?

13th-Civ Pro
16th-Crim
21st-Torts
Evening of 21st-Blackout

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”