1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Tangerine Gleam

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:53 pm

Yeah, how is it that we're already one month out? I can't believe it's gone by so quickly.

Every week, I tell myself I'm finally going to spend Saturday working, but I haven't really been able yet (other than an hour or two of reading). I seem to always need this day to relax, decompress, and remind myself not to get too stressed. I just can't study 7 days a week when I spend the other six days studying/learning for 10-12 hours.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:44 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Yeah, how is it that we're already one month out? I can't believe it's gone by so quickly.

Every week, I tell myself I'm finally going to spend Saturday working, but I haven't really been able yet (other than an hour or two of reading). I seem to always need this day to relax, decompress, and remind myself not to get too stressed. I just can't study 7 days a week when I spend the other six days studying/learning for 10-12 hours.

+1. Been sitting here with my torts text and the e&e open for over an hour, just can't focus. Time to bag it and resume tomorrow.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:19 am

Ha. I spent all day Saturday for the first time doing stuff. Streamlined notes and outlined for Torts and Property.

Property sucks. Thank God for the Glannon Guide.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:19 pm

Forgive me if this question has been asked before, but what is the best way to prep for exams? I have four weeks to prepare for three closed-book exams, and one open-book exam. I have set aside every evening from now until finals to spend time preparing (I'll knock out my day-to-day hw in the afternoon), but I'm not sure where/how to start. Obviously a ton of memorization is needed for my three closed exams, and Ill eventually want to take the available practice exams, but where do I start, and what is the best schedule? Since I have four weeks and four classes, should I spend one week per class? How should my prep differ for my one open book exam?

I have started outlines for all of my classes. Should my first order of business to finish all of the outlines, or just finish one outline and memorize/learn the material, then take a practice exam at the end of the week. Then at start a new course the following week?

I apologize for all the questions, but everyone seems to talk about exam prep and outlining, but Im struggling figuring out the best course of action for the next month. I realize it will be different from person to person, but if there is some 'universal' prep advice/theories, I would love to hear them. Thanks.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:45 pm

I'd consult Arrow's guide to doing well in law school. He had a bunch of closed book exams and did extremely well.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:49 pm

moandersen wrote:Forgive me if this question has been asked before, but what is the best way to prep for exams? I have four weeks to prepare for three closed-book exams, and one open-book exam. I have set aside every evening from now until finals to spend time preparing (I'll knock out my day-to-day hw in the afternoon), but I'm not sure where/how to start. Obviously a ton of memorization is needed for my three closed exams, and Ill eventually want to take the available practice exams, but where do I start, and what is the best schedule? Since I have four weeks and four classes, should I spend one week per class? How should my prep differ for my one open book exam?

I have started outlines for all of my classes. Should my first order of business to finish all of the outlines, or just finish one outline and memorize/learn the material, then take a practice exam at the end of the week. Then at start a new course the following week?

I apologize for all the questions, but everyone seems to talk about exam prep and outlining, but Im struggling figuring out the best course of action for the next month. I realize it will be different from person to person, but if there is some 'universal' prep advice/theories, I would love to hear them. Thanks.

Obviously, I'm not an expert, but I plan to use my outlines and work practice problems, refining my outlines and practicing exam writing together. Some of it is pure habit.

For instance, my contracts exams, we get points just for saying "This is a sale of goods, and therefore governed by the UCC. The UCC is silent on contract formation, directing to the common law instead. Common law requires an offer, acceptance, mutual assent, and consideration. Since this is governed by the UCC, a more liberal standard of contract formation is required..."

That's 2 or 3 points right there. I find it helpful to practice that sort of thing so it becomes habit instead of possibly skipping over it because it's so obvious.

Hope that helps some.

solotee

Postby solotee » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:04 pm

moandersen wrote:Since I have four weeks and four classes, should I spend one week per class? How should my prep differ for my one open book exam?

I'm spending one week for each class polishing outlines/synthesizing info. After each week, I will take a practice exam.

I would suggest doing E&E problems during the week to help you learn the material & practice answering a problem. Also consider doing separate hypo's from past exams during the week.

Just remember that your task is to learn what each professor wants on their exam. Before you do that, you need to know the law. Best of luck!

Paichka

Postby Paichka » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:25 am

On the Rule Against Perpetuities, this is an approach I found helpful:

Five Step Approach
(1) Determine if the Rule applies to the future interest at issue
The rule only applies to:
- Contingent remainders
- Vested remainders subject to open
- Executory interests

(2) Decide when the perpetuities period begins

(3) Determine what must happen for the interest to vest or forever fail to vest
□ IE, once a specified contingency is met, the contingent remainder will vest, becoming an indefeasibly vested remainder

(4) Identify the persons who can affect vesting
□ The relevant lives are persons who are alive at the time the instrument becomes effective
-The holder of the interest
-The person creating the interest
-The person who can affect a condition precedent attached to the interest
- Any person who can affect the identity of the holder

(5) Test each relevant life to determine if any one validates the interest

Example:
O conveys Blackacre to A for life, then to B's children who attain the age of 35. B is alive and has one child, C, age 6.

Step 1 -- identify the interests to which the RAP applies
-A has a life estate. (RAP does not apply)
- The class of B's children have a contingent remainder. (RAP applies).
- O has a reversion. (RAP does not apply)

Step 2 -- decide when the perpetuities period begins
- In our example, the perpetuities period begins when the interest is created, or at the moment of conveyance.

Step 3 -- determine what must happen for the interest to vest or forever fail to vest
- In our example, all of B's children must reach 35 or forever fail to reach 35 within the perpetuities period.

Step 4 -- identify the persons who can affect vesting
- The instrument becomes effective at the moment of conveyance. The lives in being are O, A, B and C.

Step 5 -- test each relevant life to determine if any one validates the interest.
- We can envision a scenario where B has another child, X, and then all of the lives in being at the creation of the interest (O, A, B and C) die. 21 years later, X would not have reached the age of 35 or failed to forever reach the age of 35. This interest is void, and would be struck.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:21 pm

Paichka wrote:On the Rule Against Perpetuities, this is an approach I found helpful:

Five Step Approach
(1) Determine if the Rule applies to the future interest at issue
The rule only applies to:
- Contingent remainders
- Vested remainders subject to open
- Executory interests

(2) Decide when the perpetuities period begins

(3) Determine what must happen for the interest to vest or forever fail to vest
□ IE, once a specified contingency is met, the contingent remainder will vest, becoming an indefeasibly vested remainder

(4) Identify the persons who can affect vesting
□ The relevant lives are persons who are alive at the time the instrument becomes effective
-The holder of the interest
-The person creating the interest
-The person who can affect a condition precedent attached to the interest
- Any person who can affect the identity of the holder

(5) Test each relevant life to determine if any one validates the interest

Example:
O conveys Blackacre to A for life, then to B's children who attain the age of 35. B is alive and has one child, C, age 6.

Step 1 -- identify the interests to which the RAP applies
-A has a life estate. (RAP does not apply)
- The class of B's children have a contingent remainder. (RAP applies).
- O has a reversion. (RAP does not apply)

Step 2 -- decide when the perpetuities period begins
- In our example, the perpetuities period begins when the interest is created, or at the moment of conveyance.

Step 3 -- determine what must happen for the interest to vest or forever fail to vest
- In our example, all of B's children must reach 35 or forever fail to reach 35 within the perpetuities period.

Step 4 -- identify the persons who can affect vesting
- The instrument becomes effective at the moment of conveyance. The lives in being are O, A, B and C.

Step 5 -- test each relevant life to determine if any one validates the interest.
- We can envision a scenario where B has another child, X, and then all of the lives in being at the creation of the interest (O, A, B and C) die. 21 years later, X would not have reached the age of 35 or failed to forever reach the age of 35. This interest is void, and would be struck.

My prof isn't teaching us the rule against perp. this year. He said himself he can't understand it so he doesn't expect us to. amazing.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:11 pm

Crim review week, hooray. The evolution of theft law is insanely stupid.

/killself

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:52 pm

My property professor spent a week or two on future interests and then a few days on Rule Against Perpetuities so that we had a general idea of how they work.

However, they won't be covered on the exam, because she thinks it's unnecessarily complicated and a poor use of our time. :D

solotee

Postby solotee » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:21 pm

when is everyone's first & last exam?

first exam: 12/8

last exam: 12/20

recovery from mad hangover: 12/21

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:45 pm

First: 12/6
Second: 12/9
Third: 12/13

I'm quite happy with this schedule.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:53 pm

12/13 - 12/21

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:55 pm

12/8 - 12/20

blerg

Postby blerg » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:21 pm

My classes are year long, with a midterm in Dec.

How many hypos/practice exams did you guys do before your midterms?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:17 pm

blerg wrote:My classes are year long, with a midterm in Dec.

How many hypos/practice exams did you guys do before your midterms?

2-3

Postby 09042014 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:21 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:My property professor spent a week or two on future interests and then a few days on Rule Against Perpetuities so that we had a general idea of how they work.

However, they won't be covered on the exam, because she thinks it's unnecessarily complicated and a poor use of our time. :D

You guys don't understand curved exams do you.

You want hard shit because any moron can understand adverse possession.

Rule against Perpetuities must be the only reason LG is on the LSAT.

Also RAP is easy.

Paichka

Postby Paichka » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:27 pm

My professor last spring ALSO said that RAP wouldn't be on the final. "Nobody really gets this, so I don't expect you to know it." He was lying just a bit -- RAP wasn't a major part of the final, but it WAS on there.

There was a small issue requiring RAP analysis in one of the essays. I tackled it using the above analysis. Got an A+ on the exam -- my best grade of the semester. I have NO idea if that "+" was because I answered the RAP question, but I figure it can't have hurt.

My only point is that it might not be a bad idea to throw it in your outline somewhere -- that way if you see a suspicious looking future interest, you won't be totally thrown. A familiarity with the concept can't hurt.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:36 pm

12/8-12/17

My exam on 12/17 is way weird since it's the non-cumulative one. We should know 50% of our grade in that class within the next week (2nd multiple choice exam is tomorrow and we should be getting grades on our 2nd written soon). Kind of scary.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:11 pm

OK, here's a torts hypo straight from an old test -

Dan Dangerous sees Max (a reindeer) jump Joe Bob's fence and bolt across the road onto the land owned by Addison Possessor, Dan's uncle. On seeing Max, Dan comes to an immediate stop, pulls out his trusty AK-47 assault rifle, and sets out on foot after Max. After a 30-minute chase, Dan catches up with Max on Addison's land (which Dan has been forbidden to set foot on the "incident" with with the Homecoming Queen at the 1980 High School Homecoming) and "blows the noble Max away." Dan, however, is very careful not to damage Addison's property or his livestock.

Addison Possessor sues Dan Dangerous for trespassing on his land. Discuss, including all defenses and possible damages.

What am I missing in this answer? Suggestions? Please, rip it apart.

Trespass to land is the intentional unauthorized entry onto the land of another. It requires 1) an intent to go onto the land, and 2) the act of intruding onto the land or causing an object to intrude on the land. No harm to the land is necessary for a cause of action. The mere act of intrusion is enough to establish the tort. Dan Dangerous (DD) intended to go onto the land owned by Addison Possessor (AP). DD knew the land belonged to AP, his uncle. By intending to pursue Max onto the land and physically entering the land, he satisfied both the necessary intent and the act of actual intrusion.
His act of intrusion would not be justified under consent. AP has specifically forbidden DD from coming onto the land since 1980. DD cannot claim the privilege defense of self-defense or defense of others. It’s possible he might be try to claim private privilege under § 197 of the 2nd RS for entering the land in defense of chattel (Max). However, his pursuit of Max with the trusty automatic assault rifle and subsequent slaughter of Max would probably invalidate that defense.
AP will probably prevail in court against DD for trespass to land. But since DD did not harm any of AP’s land or chattel, any damages awarded to AP will be nominal at best.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:24 am

Desert Fox wrote:You guys don't understand curved exams do you. You want hard shit because any moron can understand adverse possession.

Thanks, smart guy! Are you an engineer or seomthing?

I actually understand curved exams very well, which is why I'm happier that we're going to have overwhelming monster policy essays instead of a series of fill-in-the-blank future estate and R.A.P. questions that everyone in my class would probably nail anyway. Like you said, RAP is easy. I'm just glad I won't have to be wasting my brainspace retaining all of the future interest terminology.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:05 am

I've read through the cases, casebook notes, E&E, hornbook, and Emmanuel and I still don't get RAP.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:09 am

traehekat wrote:I've read through the cases, casebook notes, E&E, hornbook, and Emmanuel and I still don't get RAP.

Glannon Guide to Property.

Best $20 I've spent in a while.

solotee

Postby solotee » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:02 pm

traehekat wrote:I've read through the cases, casebook notes, E&E, hornbook, and Emmanuel and I still don't get RAP.

have you tried CALI?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”