1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby D. H2Oman » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:41 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I understand Erie Doctrine better than Ginsberg.

Weren't you going to bed like 2.5 hrs ago?


midnight pop tarts didnt agree with me. Woke up to use the bathroom cant go back to sleep.



You should be banned and perhaps put in front of firing squad for putting this image in my mind.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:45 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I understand Erie Doctrine better than Ginsberg.

Weren't you going to bed like 2.5 hrs ago?


midnight pop tarts didnt agree with me. Woke up to use the bathroom cant go back to sleep.

I bought iced tea, donuts and mini-muffins to leave within arms' reach as motivation for when I wake up from my nap.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby kalvano » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:34 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Thirteen wrote:Nice. I had Banditos for the first time yesterday, and I was impressed.

I need to merge my Bibles in the morning, then work through a few more practice problems. I'm nervous, but also am ready to get this shit behind me.


Banditos rocks. As does Goffs across the street, down from Jimmy Johns - best onion rings in existence.

Ugh, reminding me of my glory dayz. Goffs is amazing, as is Burger House.


That's what you get for being LSAT-better.

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby goosey » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:55 am

so..I dont feel sleep deprived--I sleep every night..dont work late into the night, etc.

I had no idea people were staying up all night studying. what are you people doing at night :oops:

I spend my days on hypos and filling in the last sections of my outline, creating tables for rules and crimes, and (soon) re-reading important cases that I know my professors love throwing into the mix. What am I missing?? Is there something else that needs to be done?

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:00 pm

goosey wrote:so..I dont feel sleep deprived--I sleep every night..dont work late into the night, etc.

I had no idea people were staying up all night studying. what are you people doing at night :oops:

I spend my days on hypos and filling in the last sections of my outline, creating tables for rules and crimes, and (soon) re-reading important cases that I know my professors love throwing into the mix. What am I missing?? Is there something else that needs to be done?


The only people I know who are pulling all-nighters are people who goofed off (relative to the rest of the class) for the majority of the semester, and had an OH SHIT moment when they finally got around to looking at a practice exam and now are playing catch up.

If you've been doing what you've needed to have been doing for the rest of the semester, any all-nighters seem completely unnecessary to me and will probably do more harm than good.

stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby stayway » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:07 pm

I hope I'm gaining knowledge as much as I'm gaining weight these days.

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby goosey » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:11 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
goosey wrote:so..I dont feel sleep deprived--I sleep every night..dont work late into the night, etc.

I had no idea people were staying up all night studying. what are you people doing at night :oops:

I spend my days on hypos and filling in the last sections of my outline, creating tables for rules and crimes, and (soon) re-reading important cases that I know my professors love throwing into the mix. What am I missing?? Is there something else that needs to be done?


The only people I know who are pulling all-nighters are people who goofed off (relative to the rest of the class) for the majority of the semester, and had an OH SHIT moment when they finally got around to looking at a practice exam and now are playing catch up.

If you've been doing what you've needed to have been doing for the rest of the semester, any all-nighters seem completely unnecessary to me and will probably do more harm than good.


ok that makes me feel better.

I have to say, the one thing I am most grateful for is outlining all semester. I know people that are yet to outline an entire class--I am wondering how they will even finish outlining in time for the exam, let alone digesting all the principles. It took me like 3 hours to add the last two weeks worth of content into my civ pro outline...I can't imagine how painful it is doing the entire semester.

for some reason, I assumed everyone on tls was an outline all semester person and was confused as to what they were doing all night now

BULAW13
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby BULAW13 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:17 pm

Are any of you finding it completely obnoxious that classmates keep posting what they're studying on facebook?

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19648
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby dailygrind » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:18 pm

goosey wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
goosey wrote:so..I dont feel sleep deprived--I sleep every night..dont work late into the night, etc.

I had no idea people were staying up all night studying. what are you people doing at night :oops:

I spend my days on hypos and filling in the last sections of my outline, creating tables for rules and crimes, and (soon) re-reading important cases that I know my professors love throwing into the mix. What am I missing?? Is there something else that needs to be done?


The only people I know who are pulling all-nighters are people who goofed off (relative to the rest of the class) for the majority of the semester, and had an OH SHIT moment when they finally got around to looking at a practice exam and now are playing catch up.

If you've been doing what you've needed to have been doing for the rest of the semester, any all-nighters seem completely unnecessary to me and will probably do more harm than good.


ok that makes me feel better.

I have to say, the one thing I am most grateful for is outlining all semester. I know people that are yet to outline an entire class--I am wondering how they will even finish outlining in time for the exam, let alone digesting all the principles. It took me like 3 hours to add the last two weeks worth of content into my civ pro outline...I can't imagine how painful it is doing the entire semester.

for some reason, I assumed everyone on tls was an outline all semester person and was confused as to what they were doing all night now


i just started outlining for my monday test like a week ago. it sucked. but i'm done now, and i don't think i'm much different in terms of crim knowledge than my peers.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19648
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby dailygrind » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:19 pm

BULAW13 wrote:Are any of you finding it completely obnoxious that classmates keep posting what they're studying on facebook?


this used to be kind of obnoxious. now it's whatever. what was really obnoxious was when people posted stuff like, "one more outline to go!" or, "finally done with outlining!" like a week or two ago. seriously? if they get good grades and publicize that too, my eyes are gonna roll out my fuckin sockets.

User avatar
GATORTIM
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby GATORTIM » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:22 pm

BULAW13 wrote:Are any of you finding it completely obnoxious that classmates keep posting what they're studying on facebook?


I "hide" these people b/c they fukn annoy the hell out of me

User avatar
mbusch22
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby mbusch22 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:29 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Thirteen wrote:Nice. I had Banditos for the first time yesterday, and I was impressed.

I need to merge my Bibles in the morning, then work through a few more practice problems. I'm nervous, but also am ready to get this shit behind me.


Banditos rocks. As does Goffs across the street, down from Jimmy Johns - best onion rings in existence.

Ugh, reminding me of my glory dayz. Goffs is amazing, as is Burger House.


Goff's sucks compared to Burger House... and every other burger place in Dallas. IMO

Here's to 10 days an 8 hours until I get my life back.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7237
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby beach_terror » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:29 pm

BULAW13 wrote:Are any of you finding it completely obnoxious that classmates keep posting what they're studying on facebook?

I hid all those kind of people from my minifeed. I then proceed to post shit that makes me seem like a moron 8)

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby los blancos » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:31 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
goosey wrote:so..I dont feel sleep deprived--I sleep every night..dont work late into the night, etc.

I had no idea people were staying up all night studying. what are you people doing at night :oops:

I spend my days on hypos and filling in the last sections of my outline, creating tables for rules and crimes, and (soon) re-reading important cases that I know my professors love throwing into the mix. What am I missing?? Is there something else that needs to be done?


The only people I know who are pulling all-nighters are people who goofed off (relative to the rest of the class) for the majority of the semester, and had an OH SHIT moment when they finally got around to looking at a practice exam and now are playing catch up.

If you've been doing what you've needed to have been doing for the rest of the semester, any all-nighters seem completely unnecessary to me and will probably do more harm than good.


Yeah, seriously. Like I've been saying all along, those of you who took care of their shit all through the semester and have the principles down, don't worry. It's not really in your hands anymore. Instead, sit back and laugh at people like me. :mrgreen:

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby goosey » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:44 pm

los blancos wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
goosey wrote:so..I dont feel sleep deprived--I sleep every night..dont work late into the night, etc.

I had no idea people were staying up all night studying. what are you people doing at night :oops:

I spend my days on hypos and filling in the last sections of my outline, creating tables for rules and crimes, and (soon) re-reading important cases that I know my professors love throwing into the mix. What am I missing?? Is there something else that needs to be done?


The only people I know who are pulling all-nighters are people who goofed off (relative to the rest of the class) for the majority of the semester, and had an OH SHIT moment when they finally got around to looking at a practice exam and now are playing catch up.

If you've been doing what you've needed to have been doing for the rest of the semester, any all-nighters seem completely unnecessary to me and will probably do more harm than good.


Yeah, seriously. Like I've been saying all along, those of you who took care of their shit all through the semester and have the principles down, don't worry. It's not really in your hands anymore. Instead, sit back and laugh at people like me. :mrgreen:


i cant laugh at people..I am too psychotic. I am one of those people that is hugely inconsistent..so basically, I did NOTHING even remotely fun all semester [I have probably watched 3 hours, total, of tv, since august] and "worked hard" [ie. worked hard 70% of the time, wasted time on the internet the other 30% of the time] all semester so that finals week would be less stressful. Yet I still feel like I never did enough and will be below median. But then I plan out my next 2-3 weeks and am like "wow...I can spend all week on hypos" and feel better.

my only fear is that maybe I should have been doing hypos all semester. I did cali lessons and stuff, but I dont know..its hard to ever feel like you've done enough

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7237
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby beach_terror » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:49 pm

Goosey, sometimes I'm amazed you're still alive. It seemed like you'd be dead of heart attack by late September.

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby goosey » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:32 pm

beach_terror wrote:Goosey, sometimes I'm amazed you're still alive. It seemed like you'd be dead of heart attack by late September.



I'm amazed too. I think its because I am accustomed to being a total nut-job for the past 27 yrs. My heart has learned to take the irrational freak-outs

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby romothesavior » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:35 pm

goosey wrote: I am one of those people that is hugely inconsistent..so basically, I did NOTHING even remotely fun all semester [I have probably watched 3 hours, total, of tv, since august] and "worked hard" [ie. worked hard 70% of the time, wasted time on the internet the other 30% of the time] all semester so that finals week would be less stressful.

You sound like a lot of fun.

User avatar
uwb09
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby uwb09 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:38 pm

goosey wrote:
los blancos wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
goosey wrote:so..I dont feel sleep deprived--I sleep every night..dont work late into the night, etc.

I had no idea people were staying up all night studying. what are you people doing at night :oops:

I spend my days on hypos and filling in the last sections of my outline, creating tables for rules and crimes, and (soon) re-reading important cases that I know my professors love throwing into the mix. What am I missing?? Is there something else that needs to be done?


The only people I know who are pulling all-nighters are people who goofed off (relative to the rest of the class) for the majority of the semester, and had an OH SHIT moment when they finally got around to looking at a practice exam and now are playing catch up.

If you've been doing what you've needed to have been doing for the rest of the semester, any all-nighters seem completely unnecessary to me and will probably do more harm than good.


Yeah, seriously. Like I've been saying all along, those of you who took care of their shit all through the semester and have the principles down, don't worry. It's not really in your hands anymore. Instead, sit back and laugh at people like me. :mrgreen:


i cant laugh at people..I am too psychotic. I am one of those people that is hugely inconsistent..so basically, I did NOTHING even remotely fun all semester [I have probably watched 3 hours, total, of tv, since august] and "worked hard" [ie. worked hard 70% of the time, wasted time on the internet the other 30% of the time] all semester so that finals week would be less stressful. Yet I still feel like I never did enough and will be below median. But then I plan out my next 2-3 weeks and am like "wow...I can spend all week on hypos" and feel better.

my only fear is that maybe I should have been doing hypos all semester. I did cali lessons and stuff, but I dont know..its hard to ever feel like you've done enough

Don't worry, I can relate.

I prob took a little bit easier than you throughout semester, but I still outline throughout semester, did hypos, and seemed like I was doing more work than 90% of the section. I basically do understand a lot of the stuff, but a couple times a day i'll have major irrational freak outs, text some of my friends back home being all "well, time to start planning for life after I fail out of law school", then i'll take another practice exam and do well on it and be like "oh nevermind, i'll be ok"

pretty sure i'm working on a couple pretty severe stomach ulcers

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby goosey » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:
goosey wrote: I am one of those people that is hugely inconsistent..so basically, I did NOTHING even remotely fun all semester [I have probably watched 3 hours, total, of tv, since august] and "worked hard" [ie. worked hard 70% of the time, wasted time on the internet the other 30% of the time] all semester so that finals week would be less stressful.

You sound like a lot of fun.


I can have fun after 1L is over.
secondly, I dont drink and 99.9% of all social activities in law school involve drinking..so basically, I could hang out with my non-law school friends that dont drink and spend the entire time feeling like I should be doing work (and not having fun anyway) or I could veg in front of the tv and waste time watching people move on a screen, which will be much more fun during break.

User avatar
SmittenMitten
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby SmittenMitten » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:55 pm

goosey wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
goosey wrote: I am one of those people that is hugely inconsistent..so basically, I did NOTHING even remotely fun all semester [I have probably watched 3 hours, total, of tv, since august] and "worked hard" [ie. worked hard 70% of the time, wasted time on the internet the other 30% of the time] all semester so that finals week would be less stressful.

You sound like a lot of fun.


I can have fun after 1L is over.
secondly, I dont drink and 99.9% of all social activities in law school involve drinking..so basically, I could hang out with my non-law school friends that dont drink and spend the entire time feeling like I should be doing work (and not having fun anyway) or I could veg in front of the tv and waste time watching people move on a screen, which will be much more fun during break.



I believe we were separated at birth/are soul mates/maybe both. Everything you just typed for the past three posts is exactly out of my head.

I'm looking at a dissociative break by the end of the semester.

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby mths » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:15 pm

SmittenMitten wrote:
goosey wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
goosey wrote: I am one of those people that is hugely inconsistent..so basically, I did NOTHING even remotely fun all semester [I have probably watched 3 hours, total, of tv, since august] and "worked hard" [ie. worked hard 70% of the time, wasted time on the internet the other 30% of the time] all semester so that finals week would be less stressful.

You sound like a lot of fun.


I can have fun after 1L is over.
secondly, I dont drink and 99.9% of all social activities in law school involve drinking..so basically, I could hang out with my non-law school friends that dont drink and spend the entire time feeling like I should be doing work (and not having fun anyway) or I could veg in front of the tv and waste time watching people move on a screen, which will be much more fun during break.



I believe we were separated at birth/are soul mates/maybe both. Everything you just typed for the past three posts is exactly out of my head.

I'm looking at a dissociative break by the end of the semester.

I don't know how anyone can get through law school without alcohol.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby JCougar » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:16 pm

I'm going to be done with my outline revisions by tonight. I finished my outlines over Thanksgiving, and tried to take some practice tests, but realized that my outlines were far too long and bulky and confusing and hard to quickly reference, so I went through and condensed each one while simultaneously reading a hornbook to make sure I completely understood the what, how and why of each concept. As I was making my outlines the first time, I used the E&Es and Emmanel's/Gilbert's, and did the hypos in the E&E. I'm at the point where I really don't know what else to do to understand the material better. Of course, I'm lucky in that I don't have CivPro until Spring, which maybe would have changed my entire story.

It didn't really take me all that long, though. I spent most of September and half of October getting drunk, but if you just take maybe 5 hours out of each weekend starting in October to outline as you finish each section, and another 2 to read through the Gilbert's/E&Es, it's not all that bad. I stayed here for Thanksgiving though and basically outlined the whole time, but it was worth it. Now I have three days before each exam to basically only do practice tests.

So I took the night off last night and got faded. It was a much needed reward. Now I have to get off of here and get my ass to a library. My first exam isn't until Thursday. But my goal was to put myself in a position where I wouldn't be frantic and all freaking out come exam time. I did a TON of work in November, but it's paid off. This approach is highly preferable...I have too much prior experience in the procrastination department...and all it does is stress you out. You have to do the work anyway, so why not just do it sooner?

I realize this post may make some want to kill me.

User avatar
BriaTharen
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby BriaTharen » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:41 pm

mths wrote:
SmittenMitten wrote:
goosey wrote:
romothesavior wrote:You sound like a lot of fun.


I can have fun after 1L is over.
secondly, I dont drink and 99.9% of all social activities in law school involve drinking..so basically, I could hang out with my non-law school friends that dont drink and spend the entire time feeling like I should be doing work (and not having fun anyway) or I could veg in front of the tv and waste time watching people move on a screen, which will be much more fun during break.



I believe we were separated at birth/are soul mates/maybe both. Everything you just typed for the past three posts is exactly out of my head.

I'm looking at a dissociative break by the end of the semester.

I don't know how anyone can get through law school without alcohol.

At the very minimum I need it to get to sleep at night

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:51 pm

1. JCougar, I totally agree... and if I hadn't been sidelined with pneumonia 2 weeks before Thanksgiving, my Master Plan would have been PERFECT! As it is, I'm doing a little bit of "playing catch up" but I still feel pretty good heading into this week (first final is Thursday.)

As for Goosey? PEOPLE. Goosey rules. :mrgreen: (Hai, honey - get together during break?)




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher, Itwasluck, peger, sprinx and 9 guests