1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
beach_terror

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby beach_terror » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:35 am

los blancos wrote:
Charles Barkley wrote:I feel like I'm going to fail because everyone else is studying 10-12 hours a day. I'm barely putting in half of that. I feel like I worked hard throughout the semester. Kept up with my outlines, studied them throughout, retyped them from memory. My first exam is Tuesday. I've taken all 5 practice exams and discussed them with my group. I feel like I did pretty well.

Should I be this laid back about things? :?:

Clueless 1L says the answer is YES.

Like I mentioned in another thread, I don't think Law School weeds out those who don't spend all day studying. I think it weeds out the people that got there through overachieving. I still think that as long as you put in the work you need to put in and you understand the material, your grades are largely a function of intrinsic ability and chance.

/Clueless 1L speculation

Obviously everything I say has the 1L disclaimer, but I certainly feel like taking practice exams and being proactive about my exam taking ability has put me farther up in the class than I would be if I just let my natural ability take over. My crim midterm was top 1/3rd and the only reason I didn't get an A-/A is because I didn't analogize facts in my analysis (which I had no idea I had to do - at least to the extent she wanted to). I don't think I would be in that position without busting my ass the few days prior hammering out PTs, discussing them, and figuring out what I can do better.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:42 am

Helmholtz wrote:Is there a reason that we get no break in between classes and exams? Is this normal? I thought most places got at least a week to study. It seems cruel and unusual to give use just one weekend between the last day of class and the first final.

Our classes end on Friday and our exams start on Monday. Saturday and Sunday, inexplicably, are labeled as "reading days."

mths

Postby mths » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:43 am

This thread is starting to give me anxiety. Holly, post again?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:46 am

mths wrote:This thread is starting to give me anxiety. Holly, post again?

I just skimmed over one of my prof's past exams and had an anxiety attack. Good thing I have 2 weeks before this particular final (CivPro)

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:49 am

Stanford4Me wrote:

I just skimmed over one of my prof's past exams and had an anxiety attack. Good thing I have 2 weeks before this particular final (CivPro)

I really wish my final schedule was inverted. I go civ pro - crim - torts. I'd much rather open up with torts than civ pro. At least if I freeze up, common sense can sort of guide me in torts. But in civ pro, not so much.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:51 am

Stanford4Me wrote:

I have Civ Pro in 36 hours :shock:

mths

Postby mths » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:52 am

beach_terror wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

I really wish my final schedule was inverted. I go civ pro - crim - torts. I'd much rather open up with torts than civ pro. At least if I freeze up, common sense can sort of guide me in torts. But in civ pro, not so much.

It's not common sense that 12(b)2-5 must be in your first rule 12 response?

REALLY?????

fuck my life

my heart bleeds for you 13 <3

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:56 am

mths wrote:It's not common sense that 12(b)2-5 must be in your first rule 12 response?

REALLY?????

fuck my life

If only it was, that'd be fucking wonderful.
Last edited by beach_terror on Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:57 am

mths wrote:my heart bleeds for you 13 <3

<3

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:03 am

Thirteen wrote:

<3

My heart doesn't. Can you get incredibly serious pneumonia or something?

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:09 am

kalvano wrote:
Thirteen wrote:

<3

My heart doesn't. Can you get incredibly serious pneumonia or something?

:lol:

You studying tomorrow at school?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:14 am

Nah. I get tired of the astonished looks when I'm there past 4:00 PM or on weekends. I study better at home anyway. Finished a massive re-tooling of all the Civ Pro outlines I've gotten and merged them all into one good one. Going to do some practice exams and MC questions and relax a bit.

I'll get there early on Monday to print my outline and flip through it...probably go have some Mexican at Banditos for lunch and be ready to to be completely median in Civ Pro.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:20 am

I think I have ingested enough caffeine to kill a baby elephant. And I still have like 200 pages of my Glannon Guide to read. And practice tests to take. And I don't understand anything and am going to flunk out.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:39 am

kalvano wrote:Nah. I get tired of the astonished looks when I'm there past 4:00 PM or on weekends. I study better at home anyway. Finished a massive re-tooling of all the Civ Pro outlines I've gotten and merged them all into one good one. Going to do some practice exams and MC questions and relax a bit.

I'll get there early on Monday to print my outline and flip through it...probably go have some Mexican at Banditos for lunch and be ready to to be completely median in Civ Pro.

Nice. I had Banditos for the first time yesterday, and I was impressed.

I need to merge my Bibles in the morning, then work through a few more practice problems. I'm nervous, but also am ready to get this shit behind me.

mths

Postby mths » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:44 am

Holly Golightly wrote:

I think I have ingested enough caffeine to kill a baby elephant. And I still have like 200 pages of my Glannon Guide to read. And practice tests to take. And I don't understand anything and am going to flunk out.

thanks...I've been doing civpro for 2 days...I still have no conception of what the fuck it is

Also, I feel like it's making me forget stuff from my other classes that I felt great about 2 days ago. This fucking study carrel feels way too much like home.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:45 am

I feel like a freak - I actually get Civ Pro.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:46 am

beach_terror wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

For that same reason, I wish CivPro had been my first. Ive just had more time
to study for my first exam since I have a bit of
a one track mind. I kind of wish we had more time for CivPro
and less for ConLaw.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:48 am

Thirteen wrote:Nice. I had Banditos for the first time yesterday, and I was impressed.

I need to merge my Bibles in the morning, then work through a few more practice problems. I'm nervous, but also am ready to get this shit behind me.

Banditos rocks. As does Goffs across the street, down from Jimmy Johns - best onion rings in existence.

Yeah, I'm ready to get things. I'm not really nervous - it won't help to be, and it won't make me study any differently, so why bother with it? But I'm definitely ready to be done.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:51 am

mths wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

thanks...I've been doing civpro for 2 days...I still have no conception of what the fuck it is

Also, I feel like it's making me forget stuff from my other classes that I felt great about 2 days ago. This fucking study carrel feels way too much like home.

The more I study civpro, the more convinced I am that I know absolutely nothing.

mths

Postby mths » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:04 am

los blancos wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

For that same reason, I wish CivPro had been my first. Ive just had more time
to study for my first exam since I have a bit of
a one track mind. I kind of wish we had more time for CivPro
and less for ConLaw.

those sentence breaks annoyed me so much that I can't even express it

....yep, it's time to go home

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:16 am

kalvano wrote:
Thirteen wrote:Nice. I had Banditos for the first time yesterday, and I was impressed.

Banditos rocks. As does Goffs across the street, down from Jimmy Johns - best onion rings in existence.

Ugh, reminding me of my glory dayz. Goffs is amazing, as is Burger House.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:16 am

At home. Need moar civpro.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:28 am

I understand Erie Doctrine better than Ginsberg.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:39 am

Desert Fox wrote:I understand Erie Doctrine better than Ginsberg.

Weren't you going to bed like 2.5 hrs ago?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:40 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I understand Erie Doctrine better than Ginsberg.

Weren't you going to bed like 2.5 hrs ago?

midnight pop tarts didnt agree with me. Woke up to use the bathroom cant go back to sleep.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”