1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Helmholtz

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:43 am

Is there a reason that we get no break in between classes and exams? Is this normal? I thought most places got at least a week to study. It seems cruel and unusual to give use just one weekend between the last day of class and the first final.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:44 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Coffee is starting to have no effect on me, should bought an energy drink. Or better yet, time to get my ass back to Teavana and buy some mate.

I drink absurd amounts of tea and diet coke, interspersed with caffeine pills and the occasional 5-hr energy drink. That's normal, right?

At some point tonight, I may go home and nap for a couple of hours. SO much to do still, though. Ugh. /self.

I've seen you work for dozens of hours for civ pro. What is left to do.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:44 am

Helmholtz wrote:Is there a reason that we get no break in between classes and exams? Is this normal? I thought most places got at least a week to study. It seems cruel and unusual to give use just one weekend between the last day of class and the first final.

We got 5 days.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:47 am

Helmholtz wrote:Is there a reason that we get no break in between classes and exams? Is this normal? I thought most places got at least a week to study. It seems cruel and unusual to give use just one weekend between the last day of class and the first final.
Our school's exam period starts Monday with just the weekend between it and classes, but the admins had mercy on the 1Ls and didn't schedule our first final till Thursday.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:51 am

That is kind of unfair/annoying. Mostly just because I wouldn't want to study the new material over again.

Our last day of Torts was Wed; the final is Monday. We had our other classes on Thursday, though.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:51 am

Do what? We were out on Wednesday, first exam on Monday, one day between each exam.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:51 am

We get 2 reading days, then the weekend - so 4 days total. A week would be fucking excellent though.

twert

Postby twert » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:52 am

i wish we had no time. we have six days, which just gives the stupid kids time to catch up.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:53 am

twert wrote:

i wish we had no time. we have six days, which just gives the stupid kids time to catch up.

The stupid kids will still be stupid. In class on Friday, the chick sitting next to me hadn't started to outline at all. Our first exam is in a week.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:53 am

twert wrote:

So you spun your wheels all semester and they catch up in 6 days? Who are the stupid people in that scenario?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:54 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Coffee is starting to have no effect on me, should bought an energy drink. Or better yet, time to get my ass back to Teavana and buy some mate.

I drink absurd amounts of tea and diet coke, interspersed with caffeine pills and the occasional 5-hr energy drink. That's normal, right?

At some point tonight, I may go home and nap for a couple of hours. SO much to do still, though. Ugh. /self.

I've seen you work for dozens of hours for civ pro. What is left to do.

Learn civil procedure?

twert

Postby twert » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:55 am

Desert Fox wrote:
twert wrote:

So you spun your wheels all semester and they catch up in 6 days? Who are the stupid people in that scenario?

frankly, there isn't that much to learn. next semester i will not spin my wheels. i will just cram for six days.

twert

Postby twert » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:57 am

beach_terror wrote:
twert wrote:

The stupid kids will still be stupid. In class on Friday, the chick sitting next to me hadn't started to outline at all. Our first exam is in a week.

i'm beginning to seriously question the effectiveness of outlining. maybe she'll surprise you

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:58 am

twert wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
twert wrote:

i'm beginning to seriously question the effectiveness of outlining. maybe she'll surprise you

I'd probably drop out if this chick beats me in class rank. And by drop out, I mean drop out of a window.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:06 am

beach_terror wrote:
twert wrote:

*Raises hand* (started outlining torts a week before the exam)

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:08 am

I haven't outlined crim at all and my exam is on Thursday.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:09 am

los blancos wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
twert wrote:

Torts is a far different beast than civil procedure, at least imo.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:11 am

beach_terror wrote:
los blancos wrote:

I won't have started outlining for CivPro until Monday. Exam is Friday. Not saying that's a good idea, though. Will not be using the casebook at all.

Similar situation for ConLaw. Didn't want it to pan out like this (didn't really have the chance to do anything over Thanksgiving) but I don't think it'll substantially affect how I do. It's still plenty of time IMO if I can keep going at a breakneck pace.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:17 am

los blancos wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
los blancos wrote:

I won't have started outlining for CivPro until Monday. Exam is Friday. Not saying that's a good idea, though. Will not be using the casebook at all.

Similar situation for ConLaw. Didn't want it to pan out like this (didn't really have the chance to do anything over Thanksgiving) but I don't think it'll substantially affect how I do. It's still plenty of time IMO if I can keep going at a breakneck pace.

It prob won't effect you, but where have you been all semester?

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:21 am

I feel like I'm going to fail because everyone else is studying 10-12 hours a day. I'm barely putting in half of that. I feel like I worked hard throughout the semester. Kept up with my outlines, studied them throughout, retyped them from memory. My first exam is Tuesday. I've taken all 5 practice exams and discussed them with my group. I feel like I did pretty well.

Should I be this laid back about things? :?:

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:23 am

kalvano wrote:

Do what? We were out on Wednesday, first exam on Monday, one day between each exam.

I don't know. I specifically remember somebody from another LS telling me that they had a full study week marked off between exams and the end of class.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:24 am

I just gave myself motivation by reminding myself about the grade distribution/curve.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:25 am

gwuorbust wrote:
los blancos wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
los blancos wrote:

It prob won't effect you, but where have you been all semester?

Been doing all of my work on a day to day basis but the first month was rough and I didn't really hit my groove until mid semester. There were also some personal issues along the way. Spent a good share of November trying to go back and brief cases I hadn't done before. In retrospect, that may not have been the best way of doing things but I learned a lot of doctrine along the way and really nailed that stuff down. I just didn't outline it at the time.

I'm not all that worried about studying for CivPro because we had a midterm that I did horribly on but in the process I went back and did a lot of review on the first half of the course. Whether I'll actually do well in the course is another matter, however. :mrgreen:
To me, CivPro isn't that much material, it's that the material itself can be retardedly complex. Even with my epic fail on the midterm and basically not studying for it I still wasn't that far from median.

The way I see it, I ultimately came here to learn the law, not kill exams. If I do, it's great, but I think exam grades are largely predetermined. But I figure knowing my shit will be enough to get me median. My screw ups early in the semester may make knowing my shit a more difficult goal but 4 full days of studying is a lot of time.

Not dwelling too much on it, can't do me any good at this point.
Last edited by los blancos on Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

mths

Postby mths » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:26 am

Helmholtz wrote:
kalvano wrote:

I don't know. I specifically remember somebody from another LS telling me that they had a full study week marked off between exams and the end of class.

classes ended friday - first exam wed - 2 days between exams

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:27 am

Charles Barkley wrote:I feel like I'm going to fail because everyone else is studying 10-12 hours a day. I'm barely putting in half of that. I feel like I worked hard throughout the semester. Kept up with my outlines, studied them throughout, retyped them from memory. My first exam is Tuesday. I've taken all 5 practice exams and discussed them with my group. I feel like I did pretty well.

Should I be this laid back about things? :?:

Clueless 1L says the answer is YES.

Like I mentioned in another thread, I don't think Law School weeds out those who don't spend all day studying. I think it weeds out the people that got there through overachieving. I still think that as long as you put in the work you need to put in and you understand the material, your grades are largely a function of intrinsic ability and chance.

/Clueless 1L speculation

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”