1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kalvano

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby kalvano » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:51 pm

Thirteen wrote:I need motivation.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:54 pm

uzpakalis wrote:Am I the only one on here not freaking out and studying 16 hours a day? I put in work throughout the ENTIRE semester. Don't get me wrong, I'm still putting in 8-10 hours a day throughout finals, but.....am I crazy for not putting in more hours and feeling confident about it?

I'm putting more effort now than during the semester, but less than some others (it seems) because I actually did all the reading and went to class and at least somewhat paid attention (bite me, thirteen, I can chat and listen). Now, as I review stuff, I find myself really understanding it being able to make short sheets for exams.

Except property. Fuck that soulless hellhole of a class.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:58 pm

After almost having a nervous breakdown yesterday, I feel much better about things today. I probably spent less time studying today than yesterday, but was much more productive overall instead of freaking out. Starting to feel better about exams and hoping it translates.

In the end it's a real help that our contract exams is non-cumulative and is just 10 MC questions mostly on remedies. I'm just worried that I'll be burnt out by the time I get to it since it's the last exam... but so will everyone else in my section so I guess I can't be too worried :lol:.

twert

Postby twert » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:00 pm

keg411 wrote:After almost having a nervous breakdown yesterday, I feel much better about things today. I probably spent less time studying today than yesterday, but was much more productive overall instead of freaking out. Starting to feel better about exams and hoping it translates.

In the end it's a real help that our contract exams is non-cumulative and is just 10 MC questions mostly on remedies. I'm just worried that I'll be burnt out by the time I get to it since it's the last exam... but so will everyone else in my section so I guess I can't be too worried :lol:.

10 mc questions sounds like a brutal curve. i have 40 mc questions and a typical issue spotter essay worth 40 percent. if i was in your shoes, i might be freaking out.

goosey

Postby goosey » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:04 pm

twert wrote:
keg411 wrote:After almost having a nervous breakdown yesterday, I feel much better about things today. I probably spent less time studying today than yesterday, but was much more productive overall instead of freaking out. Starting to feel better about exams and hoping it translates.

10 mc questions sounds like a brutal curve. i have 40 mc questions and a typical issue spotter essay worth 40 percent. if i was in your shoes, i might be freaking out.

ours is 90 min of mc and 90 issue spotter, both weighted equally. I have no idea how to feel about it.

twert

Postby twert » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:06 pm

goosey wrote:
twert wrote:

ours is 90 min of mc and 90 issue spotter, both weighted equally. I have no idea how to feel about it.

i like multiple choice. one of those answers is the most right. all you have to do if figure out which. what's even better is that it confuses a ton of people, so its doubly easy to do well.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:07 pm

twert wrote:

We've already had 2 MC exams and 3 Written in that class. The last K's exam is all of 25% of our grade. I already know how to study for these since I've done it all semester and have been above median on both the other MC exams. So I'll worry eventually, but it's not worth it to freak right now. It's kind of different when you know what to expect.

twert

Postby twert » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:10 pm

keg411 wrote:
twert wrote:

We've already had 2 MC exams and 3 Written in that class. The last K's exam is all of 25% of our grade. I already know how to study for these since I've done it all semester and have been above median on both the other MC exams. So I'll worry eventually, but it's not worth it to freak right now. It's kind of different when you know what to expect.

interesting. i didn't know any schools did it like that.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:16 pm

mths wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:I'm considering not sleeping tonight and spending like the next 24 hours entirely on civ pro/caffeine/nicotine.

my life for the past week

I only take naps

I have 4 exams

I have 4 exams, too. Death.

Stanford4Me wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:I'm considering not sleeping tonight and spending like the next 24 hours entirely on civ pro/caffeine/nicotine.

When is your CivPro exam?

Also, I smile every day I see your 'tar.

Monday. :shock:

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:18 pm

goosey wrote:
twert wrote:

My civ pro exam is mostly multiple choice, 1 issue spotter, and 2 short-answer. It's making me want to die.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:20 pm

twert wrote:interesting. i didn't know any schools did it like that.

They mostly don't. My professor is doing it as an "experiment" this year.

HGL, I wish I had MC for CivPro. Three multi-part essays instead :(.

twert

Postby twert » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:23 pm

keg411 wrote:

good for your prof. i often sit in class wondering if the whole system has any better justification than tradition.

mths

Postby mths » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:30 pm

twert wrote:
keg411 wrote:

good for your prof. i often sit in class wondering if the whole system has any better justification than tradition.

Well there is another reason...law school is supposed to be like violent rape, remember? Having to deal with the concept of one exam worth 100% of your grade is kinda like that.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:31 pm

twert wrote:i like multiple choice. one of those answers is the most right. all you have to do if figure out which. what's even better is that it confuses a ton of people, so its doubly easy to do well.

My only multiple choice test involves the possibility that all/some/none of the choices are correct and points taken off for incorrect answers. Makes me want to cry.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:32 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
twert wrote:i like multiple choice. one of those answers is the most right. all you have to do if figure out which. what's even better is that it confuses a ton of people, so its doubly easy to do well.

My only multiple choice test involves the possibility that all/some/none of the choices are correct and points taken off for incorrect answers. Makes me want to cry.

That is really brutal.

twert

Postby twert » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:32 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

do you have to choose the most right, or do you chose all that are correct? that sounds rough

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:33 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

Now that sounds like torture.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:36 pm

I'm not sure if I should be happy or worried about my most recent civ pro exam. It seems like the same main issues arise on every exam, so I'm more and more comfortable with the substantive points of law to use in addressing these issues. But my interpretation of the facts is sometimes completely divergent from the model answer that my professor made. I am still able, however, to put out a cogent and flowing analysis that incorporates points and counterpoints from both sides and reach an ultimate conclusion. Sometimes my conclusion ends up being the same, but sometimes it is the complete opposite. And other times, I find lots of little ambiguities and tidbits in an issue, whereas the model answer writes it off as if it is so clear-cut. Yet I can fairly easily break it down into a legal issue to talk about.

Sure, there are a few main overarching issues I missed, and those I know are areas I must improve on. But I don't see how I can change the way in which I interpret ambiguous facts (or if what I'm doing is even a bad thing at all). For example, we had an Erie issue in which the model answer said that it is quite clear that the FRCP and a state court decision are in conflict. Yet I interpreted the relationship as actually working hand in hand. Didn't stop me from fully fleshing out my Erie analysis, but I just read things differently so often that I have a very unsettling feeling about all this.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:38 pm

twert wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

do you have to choose the most right, or do you chose all that are correct? that sounds rough

No. If 3 out of 4 of the multiple choices can be construed by the prof as correct, we're supposed to circle those. Correct circles = one point, incorrect circles = minus half a point.

So we get none of the benefit of process of elimination, etc. that typically comes with MC exams.

twert

Postby twert » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:39 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
twert wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

No. If 3 out of 4 of the multiple choices can be construed by the prof as correct, we're supposed to circle those. Correct circles = one point, incorrect circles = minus half a point.

So we get none of the benefit of process of elimination, etc. that typically comes with MC exams.

that really sucks. your prof is mean.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:52 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
twert wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

If you're truly on the fence about an answer then, the +EV move is to circle it.

((+1) * (50%)) + ((-0.5) *(50%)) = +0.25
Last edited by JazzOne on Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:22 am

Helmholtz wrote:

Yeah, apparently all/some/none of the choices can be correct on mine, too. DEATH.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:28 am

You've inspired me to do the same (unfortunately). Tried to sleep, got about an hour or two, and woke up. I'm actually not even sure if I was sleeping, I remember dazing in and out dreaming about hypothetical long arm statutes.

Anyway, off to Wawa for coffee then to the library :(

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:40 am

Coffee is starting to have no effect on me, should bought an energy drink. Or better yet, time to get my ass back to Teavana and buy some mate.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:42 am

beach_terror wrote:Coffee is starting to have no effect on me, should bought an energy drink. Or better yet, time to get my ass back to Teavana and buy some mate.

I drink absurd amounts of tea and diet coke, interspersed with caffeine pills and the occasional 5-hr energy drink. That's normal, right?

At some point tonight, I may go home and nap for a couple of hours. SO much to do still, though. Ugh. /self.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”