1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Kilpatrick

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:11 pm

jdubb990 wrote:Can someone give me a good explanation of caveat lessee please?

Caveat lessee is an early common law doctrine that states a tenant takes possession of premises irrespective of their state of disrepair. This has been replaced by the modern rule of Implied Warranty of Habitability, that in every lease it is implied that the premises are safe, clean and fit for human habitation and this warranty cannot be waived.

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:12 pm

Wasn't nervous until today.

Fucccck.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:28 pm

took torts exam, essay had several cause-of-actions pre-pointed out, one involved recklessness, forgot to discuss hand test.... FML

I even mentioned typed it out in my little quick element paragraph at the beginning of the cause-of-action discussion, just totally brain farted and forgot to analyze it

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:33 pm

Charles Barkley wrote:Wasn't nervous until today.

Fucccck.

Come on Charles, this can't possibly be more intense than the 1993 NBA finals.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:24 pm

Sometimes it's hard to believe that this process actually weeds out the good lawyers.

Motivate me.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:42 pm

JCougar wrote:Sometimes it's hard to believe that this process actually weeds out the good lawyers.

Motivate me.

It probably doesn't.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
JCougar wrote:Sometimes it's hard to believe that this process actually weeds out the good lawyers.

Motivate me.

It probably doesn't.

Yeah, I wonder. Maybe it just weeds out the ones with/out stamina.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:46 pm

Motivate me.

it doesn't

but it seems like it will weed out the lazy people, who would've made good lawyers, but didn't get top grades & didn't do any networking/hustling to get a job absent the golden gates of top grades giving them easier access to the job market.

does suck though that the guy sitting on the other side of the room, who put in the one element i forgot, and maybe got a couple more multiple choice questions right than I did, will have a way easier time come next year than I will

but oh well, knew there was a high risk of that happening when I signed up for this crazy 3 year gig

Postby 09042014 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:54 pm

I'm not even sure it weeds out the lazy.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:56 pm

It doesn't weed out anyone.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:01 pm

4 more days

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:18 pm

Learn ALL the civpro? :shock:

Okay, learn all the civpro...

:cry:

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:20 pm

Okay, when I am doing practice exams, it doesn't take me anywhere close to 3 hours to get my answer down, including all the outlining, re-reading, etc. Am I doing this wrong?

So far I have done a bunch of the ones on the American website, and a couple from my school, and I have been pretty comfortable (though of course, they can be strengthened and refined) with my answers in regards to the "model" answer.

Also-this is only about civ pro.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:25 pm

Doesn't even weed out the people who don't go to class. Also, I'm behind in outlining for Crim . . . I can't force myself to finish.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'm not even sure it weeds out the lazy.

Definitely not. I'm amazed every day when I chat with my law review buddies and realize how lazy I truly am.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:26 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:Doesn't even weed out the people who don't go to class.

So are those kids getting to take the exam then?

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:37 pm

romothesavior wrote:

That argument died. Don't revive it.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:40 pm

bostonian wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I wasn't reviving it.

But I'll be nice to you because sometimes some crimes go slippin' through the cracks but these two gumshoes are pickin up the slack...

mths

Postby mths » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:42 pm

SmittenMitten wrote:Okay, when I am doing practice exams, it doesn't take me anywhere close to 3 hours to get my answer down, including all the outlining, re-reading, etc. Am I doing this wrong?

So far I have done a bunch of the ones on the American website, and a couple from my school, and I have been pretty comfortable (though of course, they can be strengthened and refined) with my answers in regards to the "model" answer.

clap-clap-clap

goosey

Postby goosey » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:45 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:Doesn't even weed out the people who don't go to class. Also, I'm behind in outlining for Crim . . . I can't force myself to finish.

seriously. its my first final [next friday] and its the only outline I am not either done [or one roman numeral away from] done with.

Its open book but I dont want to not be prepared...I was thinking about simply finishing my outline and my MPC v CL table of crimes but recently changed my mind and will prob prep for this the same as my other exams. I have been doing practice questions for crim throughout the semester though, so I feel like I may need to do a bit less rt now..but I plan on tabbing my outline and making an attack sheet, etc..all the stuff I would do for an in-class

I figure there will be people that were just like me [not planning on prepping] and so I should probably *not* do what everyone else is doing. I feel like I know what she wants...and that I can actually get an A in this class if I put some effort in..so...better get started on that outline!

im just so.sick.of.outlining.

ugh.

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:46 pm

mths wrote:
SmittenMitten wrote:Okay, when I am doing practice exams, it doesn't take me anywhere close to 3 hours to get my answer down, including all the outlining, re-reading, etc. Am I doing this wrong?

clap-clap-clap

No, I feel like something is wrong with this picture.

Plus, there are no bakeries around me for finals

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:54 pm

SmittenMitten wrote:
mths wrote:

clap-clap-clap

I'm starting to approach this in regard to civ pro. Just banged out a hypo, and I felt great about it, especially when talking it over. I need to meet with the teacher tomorrow, but I pretty much applied every fact to law and made creative arguments on top of the obvious ones.

The way I look at it, every fact is there to be applied to the law. The tougher ones take some creativity in applying though.

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm

beach_terror wrote:
SmittenMitten wrote:
mths wrote:

clap-clap-clap

I'm starting to approach this in regard to civ pro. Just banged out a hypo, and I felt great about it, especially when talking it over. I need to meet with the teacher tomorrow, but I pretty much applied every fact to law and made creative arguments on top of the obvious ones.

The way I look at it, every fact is there to be applied to the law. The tougher ones take some creativity in applying though.

Yeah, I am trying to throw everything into it as well- have you been taking the entire allotted time? Or are you finding that you can bang it out quickly?

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:58 pm

romothesavior wrote:
bostonian wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I wasn't reviving it.

But I'll be nice to you because sometimes some crimes go slippin' through the cracks but these two gumshoes are pickin up the slack...

Win!

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:19 am

My classes ended today, and my first exam is on Wednesday. Just paddling along here in the interim.

Outlines are good, and I've taken a few practice tests for each class (improving, I think). So I guess I'll just keep taking practice exams and making/refining checklists for a couple of classes where I need them. Not as stressed or motivated as I thought I would be--don't know if that's a result of my preparation or my laziness.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”