1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
spondee

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby spondee » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:33 pm

beach_terror wrote:I think some of you might be missing my point. If you're professor doesn't take attendance/doesn't care - then do whatever you want. But if they actually take attendance and express to you that you're skipping so many classes that you might face some sort of punishment, and you STILL don't go, then you deserve whatever's coming your way. The same holds true in all other aspects of life, law school should be no different.

The professor's reasoning is irrelevant, they're still your superior and in charge of your grades.

+1

That adulthood should free us to do what we want how we want is a fantasy.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:45 pm

dailygrind wrote:
beach_terror wrote:I think some of you might be missing my point. If you're professor doesn't take attendance/doesn't care - then do whatever you want. But if they actually take attendance and express to you that you're skipping so many classes that you might face some sort of punishment, and you STILL don't go, then you deserve whatever's coming your way. The same holds true in all other aspects of life, law school should be no different.

The professor's reasoning is irrelevant, they're still your superior and in charge of your grades.

deserve? isn't that a moral judgment? sort of like how people who smoke weed "deserve" the punishments coming their way, even if weed isn't bad?

Let's not try to blow this out of proportion. If you break the rules and the punishment is clearly proscribed, you can't act surprised or find some grave injustice in it. If you smoke weed, and get caught and get punished, then I'd give no sympathy. The rules are the rules, if you want to change them then go into politics. Until then, they stand as they are (no matter how unfair one perceives them to be).

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:47 pm

mths wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:omg that would be awful. I would fail civ pro torts.

...fucking 9am's lol

how could people continue to skip after being emailed by the prof?

That's what I'm wondering.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:49 pm

nooyyllib wrote:--ImageRemoved--

How did this not get more attention? I cracked up on this . . . and I still am.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:51 pm

I also love how all law students start using ". . ." instead of "..."

mths

Postby mths » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:53 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
mths wrote:

...fucking 9am's lol

That's what I'm wondering.

No sympathy for stupidity

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:02 pm

beach_terror wrote:
dailygrind wrote:

deserve? isn't that a moral judgment? sort of like how people who smoke weed "deserve" the punishments coming their way, even if weed isn't bad?

Let's not try to blow this out of proportion. If you break the rules and the punishment is clearly proscribed, you can't act surprised or find some grave injustice in it. If you smoke weed, and get caught and get punished, then I'd give no sympathy. The rules are the rules, if you want to change them then go into politics. Until then, they stand as they are (no matter how unfair one perceives them to be).

cool. so let's assume for the sake of argument that we're still in pre civil rights era america. rosa parks doesn't take her seat in the back. but hey, the rules is the rules. she can't find any grave injustice in it. no sympathy from beach terror!

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:05 pm

dailygrind wrote:cool. so let's assume for the sake of argument that we're still in pre civil rights era america. rosa parks doesn't take her seat in the back. but hey, the rules is the rules. she can't find any grave injustice in it. no sympathy from beach terror!

No, how about we don't assume that, because that's not analogous to this situation at all, jackass. Failing to show up to class and not being able to take the final is not discriminatory. Everyone is treated equally.

TigerBeer

Postby TigerBeer » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:17 pm

dailygrind wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
beach_terror wrote:If you regularly skip class, I think that's a fair punishment. By regularly, I mean missing at least 25% of the classes.

We're all adults, and paying a lot of money for law school. Why shouldn't we be able to skip classes? I have multiple professors who teach nothing that will be relevant to my exams, and if I don't want to wake up at 7am to go hear my prof wax poetic about nonsense, I don't feel I should have to.

when you attend law school you're not just some mass consumer. you're a living breathing representation of the school. given the school's interest in protecting its reputation/student caliber, and the fact that attendance requirements are easy to discover well before you come to lawl school, i think it's fair for them to require you to come.*

*devil's advocate. i would never have gone to civ pro this semester if i weren't worried about being barred from taking the exam.

i would feel better about this romantic idealized view about law school if they weren't, in addition to other things, paying firms to take their grads for a few months so they can pad their employment numbers. this type of behavior tells me that they're businesses peddling a premium* good, nothing more. this is america, not ancient greece.

*high-priced

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:25 pm

beach_terror wrote:
dailygrind wrote:cool. so let's assume for the sake of argument that we're still in pre civil rights era america. rosa parks doesn't take her seat in the back. but hey, the rules is the rules. she can't find any grave injustice in it. no sympathy from beach terror!

No, how about we don't assume that, because that's not analogous to this situation at all, jackass. Failing to show up to class and not being able to take the final is not discriminatory. Everyone is treated equally.

you're moving off of a rules based argument and onto a morality argument. i was just arguing against the former.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:30 pm

dailygrind wrote:i think i'd rather stab myself in the thigh with a fork than continue studying. anyone have any good motivational youtube clips?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX8O9RMOO8Y

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:18 pm

The entitlement on TLS sometimes horrifies me.

When you get a real job, you'll be expected to attend and pay attention to completely pointless, ridiculous meetings on a daily basis, where nothing gets done -- ones that were only called because some middle-manager with nothing better to do wants to bolster their image of importance to the company. Then the meeting turns into a circle jerk of other ass-kissers bringing up pointless things just for the sake of hearing themselves talk and to make it look like they are "involved." And if you don't attend those meetings with a perky, shaved face, dry cleaned clothes, and a smile, you're fired.

Sometimes you just have to learn to go along with the nonsense and bullshit, even if you yourself think it's pointless. Part of growing up and actually becoming an adult is realizing that your own personal satisfaction isn't a valid reason for either doing or not doing something. If you're not going to class even after the professor told you the rules, and even after e-mails, you probably shouldn't be allowed to take finals -- no sense in the school representing itself poorly and embarrassing itself by graduating you and sending you out into the work world with such a sense of entitlement. You don't even have to shower and shave to attend a law school class. I don't get what's so hard about it.

Sorry if that sounds bitchy, but at some point, people will have to realize that it's true.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:22 pm

JCougar wrote:The entitlement on TLS sometimes horrifies me.

When you get a real job, you'll be expected to attend and pay attention to completely pointless, ridiculous meetings on a daily basis, where nothing gets done -- ones that were only called because some middle-manager with nothing better to do wants to bolster their image of importance to the company. Then the meeting turns into a circle jerk of other ass-kissers bringing up pointless things just for the sake of hearing themselves talk and to make it look like they are "involved." And if you don't attend those meetings with a perky, shaved face, dry cleaned clothes, and a smile, you're fired.

Sometimes you just have to learn to go along with the nonsense and bullshit, even if you yourself think it's pointless. Part of growing up and actually becoming an adult is realizing that your own personal satisfaction isn't a valid reason for either doing or not doing something. If you're not going to class even after the professor told you the rules, and even after e-mails, you probably shouldn't be allowed to take finals -- no sense in the school representing itself poorly and embarrassing itself by graduating you and sending you out into the work world with such a sense of entitlement. You don't even have to shower and shave to attend a law school class. I don't get what's so hard about it.

Sorry if that sounds bitchy, but at some point, people will have to realize that it's true.

Demanding more than you deserve is quintessential americana.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:38 pm

I think attendance is an ABA thing. I don't think the lawl schools care if you show up as long as they are getting your $$$$.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:45 pm

dailygrind wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

you're moving off of a rules based argument and onto a morality argument. i was just arguing against the former.

How is deserving punishment for breaking the rules a moral argument? If I was making a morality argument, I would have said everyone should be punished for not going to class, even if there are no rules, because it's the right thing to do. I'm not commentating on the justifications for attending class, I'm simply saying that failure to attend class should lead to punishment. To use law school language, malum prohibitum not malum in se.

BTW, successful derail.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:52 pm

Hey, hey, what's that fuss? Everybody move to the back of the bus.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:54 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:
blerg wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:Apparently multiple people aren't being allowed to take the final in my crim class. That really sucks for them . . . I can only imagine how I would feel if that happened to me. Sheesh.

Why?

That would be an absolute nightmare. cheating?

Poor attendance, I believe. It's amazing how many people have missed a butt load of classes even after the professor sends them e-mails warning them that if they continue to miss they won't be allowed to take the final. New York UniversiTTTy for you.

(I still love you, NYU)

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:56 pm

I've got myself set up in an amazing win-win scenario. If I do well on exams I win. If I do poorly I win because I know I hate the law and will hate being a lawyer.

Take that bitches.

:|

king3780

Postby king3780 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:35 pm

keg411 wrote:I think attendance is an ABA thing. I don't think the lawl schools care if you show up as long as they are getting your $$$$.

NYU is explicit with the rule: http://www.law.nyu.edu/academicservices ... /index.htm

"Rules of the American Bar Association, the New York State Court of Appeals, other state high courts, and the Law School itself all require regular classroom attendance. Students are advised that excessive absenteeism can result without warning in: 1) grade lowering or 2) denial of permission to complete course work and/or sit for the exam, or receipt of a grade of WD (withdrawn) or FAB (failed for absence). Missing more than one-fifth of classes is presumptively excessive. Any student who finds herself at risk of missing more than one-fifth of classes for any course should immediately speak with the instructor and/or Assistant Dean for Student Affairs.

Faculty members may establish a higher standard of regular attendance than that described above, and may also take this higher standard of attendance, class participation, and the quality of class performance into account in determining the student’s grade as long as the faculty member has, during the first week of classes, announced an intention to do so or has included that intention in the syllabus or other class materials distributed in the first week of class.

The student’s obligation to be in regular attendance derives both from faculty rule and the rule of state bar examiners. As a prerequisite to a student’s admission to the bar, the Dean must certify to state boards of law examiners that the student has been in regular attendance."

Being a lawyer means following rules, right? If you don't file your motion on time, there are consequences. Don't show up for court, consequences. So if we're paying money for a professional school to help us learn skills needed to be a lawyer, why are we bitching about them making us follow rules?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:43 pm

mths wrote:

...fucking 9am's lol

I continued to show up to class late after my professor wanted me to die for showing up late. YAY BLIND GRADING!

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:44 pm

Except you get paid to attend those boring meetings. When someone's paying me a lot of money, I'm willing to put up with a lot of shit. When I'm paying someone else, not so much.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:46 pm

OMG CAN YOU TELL ME MORE ABOUT REAL LIFE AND BEING AN ADULT PLEASE?!?!?!?!??!?!?! AND HOW IT RELATES TO GOING TO MY HORRIBLE CIVIL PROCEDURE CLASS THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CIVIL PROCEDURE????

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:47 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
mths wrote:

...fucking 9am's lol

I continued to show up to class late after my professor wanted me to die for showing up late. YAY BLIND GRADING!

Could still technically bump your grade down though, eh? At least here teachers have discretion to bump up or down based on class performance.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:48 pm

beach_terror wrote:Could still technically bump your grade down though, eh? At least here teachers have discretion to bump up or down based on class performance.

lol, like he knows our names. He doesn't want to listen to anyone except himself speak.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:52 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Could still technically bump your grade down though, eh? At least here teachers have discretion to bump up or down based on class performance.

lol, like he knows our names. He doesn't want to listen to anyone except himself speak.

Oh word, you're probably set then. All of our teachers have our pictures/names in a database :(

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”