1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
emorystud2010

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby emorystud2010 » Thu May 12, 2011 2:48 pm

I can't believe people still have exams. It feels like the semester ended an eternity ago due to the write-on.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Thu May 12, 2011 3:28 pm

emorystud2010 wrote:I can't believe people still have exams. It feels like the semester ended an eternity ago due to the write-on.

GTFOTT NOIKY

geekrocker37

Postby geekrocker37 » Thu May 12, 2011 4:35 pm

DoneDoneDone

It almost seemed anticlimactic, although I'm sure it will hit me tomorrow and then will definitely hit me next week when write on begins.

Let the heavy drinking commence...

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Thu May 12, 2011 5:11 pm

Ugh, only have Con Lawl left, but its next thursday :evil:

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu May 12, 2011 5:15 pm

I now awaken from my slumber and open my eyes to real life. Relearning how to eat, sleep, and interact in a normal fashion will be quite difficult. But I am up to the task.

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Thu May 12, 2011 5:18 pm

dakatz wrote:I now awaken from my slumber and open my eyes to real life. Relearning how to eat, sleep, and interact in a normal fashion will be quite difficult. But I am up to the task.

The Starbucks lady looked at me crazy this morning when I asked for 3 expresso shots in my iced coffee while holding a mtn dew. My sleep schedule is in ruins.

Chiglaw

Postby Chiglaw » Thu May 12, 2011 5:20 pm

The one thing I look forward to less than write-on after I finish on Monday is picking up the shattered remains of my relationship. Apparently I have been very selfish by focusing on lawl school instead of gchatting with her.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu May 12, 2011 5:24 pm

Chiglaw wrote:The one thing I look forward to less than write-on after I finish on Monday is picking up the shattered remains of my relationship. Apparently I have been very selfish by focusing on lawl school instead of gchatting with her.

I am so appreciative of how supportive my gf has been throughout this whole thing. I hope I tell her often enough, though I probably don't. The people who matter in life are the ones who put others ahead of themselves. Sure, she might be frustrated, but I'm sure that deep down she understands.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu May 12, 2011 5:25 pm

starchinkilt wrote:
dakatz wrote:I now awaken from my slumber and open my eyes to real life. Relearning how to eat, sleep, and interact in a normal fashion will be quite difficult. But I am up to the task.

The Starbucks lady looked at me crazy this morning when I asked for 3 expresso shots in my iced coffee while holding a mtn dew. My sleep schedule is in ruins.

Wow, I think I would be trying to climb the walls with my teeth if I loaded up on that much caffeine

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Thu May 12, 2011 5:28 pm

dakatz wrote:
starchinkilt wrote:

Wow, I think I would be trying to climb the walls with my teeth if I loaded up on that much caffeine

I didn't drink it all at once. Spread it all out over my 7 hour take out. Still, I was pretty much like :shock: for 7 hours

mths

Postby mths » Thu May 12, 2011 5:29 pm

dakatz wrote:
starchinkilt wrote:

this made me laugh

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Thu May 12, 2011 5:54 pm

weee wrote:It is all a little surreal that 1L will be over soon. Just knowing there is freedom on the other side of my last exam is motivation enough for me now.

LOL.. wait until you get the write-on packet. 1L doesn't end with your last exam. In fact it gets worse.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu May 12, 2011 6:00 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
weee wrote:It is all a little surreal that 1L will be over soon. Just knowing there is freedom on the other side of my last exam is motivation enough for me now.

LOL.. wait until you get the write-on packet. 1L doesn't end with your last exam. In fact it gets worse.
CR

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Thu May 12, 2011 6:02 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:

really really REALLY not looking forward to this, especially since I'm gonna be working on it for the one 10-day period that i'm back home and relaxing with old friends....

I guess my hometown friends and family will get to experience the "law-school version" of me

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu May 12, 2011 6:05 pm

stratocophic wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:

CR

Meh, it's not horrible so far. And while it's a little frustrating, it's much better then exams (Then again, we have three weeks, so there is no rush).

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Thu May 12, 2011 6:54 pm

keg411 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:

CR

Meh, it's not horrible so far. And while it's a little frustrating, it's much better then exams (Then again, we have three weeks, so there is no rush).

I am sick of hearing about everyone elses write on is so much easier than mine. We have two weeks and much more work than seems to be the norm.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Thu May 12, 2011 7:07 pm

Our law review changed it up this year and whereas before you could get on with just a solid writing entry, now it's a holistic process that includes a personal statement and personal details as 2 of the 4 factors (writing contest and grades being the other two of course).

With the way I'm feeling about exams I beginning to think applying would just be wishful thinking.

mths

Postby mths » Thu May 12, 2011 7:29 pm

Sogui wrote:Our law review changed it up this year and whereas before you could get on with just a solid writing entry, now it's a holistic process that includes a personal statement and personal details as 2 of the 4 factors (writing contest and grades being the other two of course).

With the way I'm feeling about exams I beginning to think applying would just be wishful thinking.

everyone loves another admissions process

man fuck law school

mths

Postby mths » Thu May 12, 2011 7:29 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:I am sick of hearing about everyone elses write on is so much easier than mine. We have two weeks and much more work than seems to be the norm.

Our packet is apparently 1000 pages and we get 10 days.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Thu May 12, 2011 7:39 pm

mths wrote:
Sogui wrote:Our law review changed it up this year and whereas before you could get on with just a solid writing entry, now it's a holistic process that includes a personal statement and personal details as 2 of the 4 factors (writing contest and grades being the other two of course).

everyone loves another admissions process

man fuck law school

Law Review's Response:

Oh, you've got it all backwards. You see, you're already here in law school. That means you had to (1) Take SAT/ACTs (or maybe both), (2) Fill out application forms for undergrad, (3) Go to undergrad and do well, (4) Study for and take your LSATs, (5) Apply to law school.

The only reason we've made it such a tedious process is because, from your personal history, it appears as though you enjoy the tedium. We're just trying to make your life better!

:x

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu May 12, 2011 7:44 pm

mths wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:I am sick of hearing about everyone elses write on is so much easier than mine. We have two weeks and much more work than seems to be the norm.

Our packet is apparently 1000 pages and we get 10 days.

I've heard the horrors of Cornell write on. Also, just so you know, people who "grade" those and decide your fate do things like read them at Yankee stadium.

weee

Postby weee » Thu May 12, 2011 9:42 pm

DOneL

swc65

Postby swc65 » Fri May 13, 2011 4:58 am

Done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit- was being a bit dramatic :)
Last edited by swc65 on Tue May 17, 2011 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Fri May 13, 2011 12:19 pm

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Fri May 13, 2011 2:57 pm

I should insert a correction here, despite the fact Columbia law review changed up the selection description on their page- the writing competition file says it is still the same old method:

1. Writing Component: 15 positions on the staff are reserved for the highest scoring responses to the Writing Component Problem.
2. Writing Component and Grades: 20 positions on the staff are reserved for the applicants who are selected on the basis of a combination of their response to the Writing Component Problem and the grades they have earned in Law School.
3. Holistic Review: 10 positions on the staff are reserved for applicants who are selected on the basis of a holistic review of the entire application, including a personal statement.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”