1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Unitas

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby Unitas » Tue May 10, 2011 8:55 am

10 minutes until 8 hour property take home final exam with a stricter word limit then what the teacher uses to answer the question in her memos (she goes over 1000 words over usually-instant F). I know nothing about property, this class has made no sense, I can't even read or understand the usual policy question on previous exams, and my note stack is larger than the textbook..

This is where we see how much I can BS property, it seems to me everything about property is BS so my answers may go over very well.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue May 10, 2011 9:28 am

Just noticed something. We have 3 sections at my school, 2 of them have a 3-4 hour essay final. My essay final consists of ONE long fact oattern and he gives us multiple NEW cases we haven't read to read and apply during the test...the last section has a 1 hour multiple choice...I call BS on this.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:36 am

beach_terror wrote:I'M BACK, LOL

Last exam in 1.5 hours. Feel infinitely better about my exam performance this semester. Made a conscious effort to slow down and think more on my exams, instead of typing my way into a B+/A-.

Looking forward to getting white boy wasted tonight.

Welcome back, b_t! Enjoy the celebrating!

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Tue May 10, 2011 12:13 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Just noticed something. We have 3 sections at my school, 2 of them have a 3-4 hour essay final. My essay final consists of ONE long fact oattern and he gives us multiple NEW cases we haven't read to read and apply during the test...the last section has a 1 hour multiple choice...I call BS on this.

So? Yours was more work, but their curve is going to be super tight. I'd take the hard exam over 1 hour multiple choice every time. If you're feeling really gunnery, I guess you could complain they didn't need to devote as much time to that exam, so they could study more for the exam that you share with them--but that's stupid and bitchy. They're still on a curve and the same amount of people will end up with DEM Bs.

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue May 10, 2011 12:21 pm

1L IS OVER

swc65

Postby swc65 » Tue May 10, 2011 12:35 pm

TTH wrote:1L IS OVER

Congratz!!!

49.5 moar hours.........

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue May 10, 2011 12:38 pm

Finding it hard to study for my torts exam on Friday...then my Admin exam on Tuesday. Especially considering that most of my friends are done.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue May 10, 2011 12:43 pm

Sitting in final exam room 15 minutes away from ConLaw exam. Never prepared but always ready. Lets do this!

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue May 10, 2011 2:57 pm

DONE-ZO. I was terrified of contracts going in, but leaving I felt the best out of any of my exams. If I don't make law review, I'm going to jump off a building (not really, but maybe).

S-S-S-S-S-SUMMER TIME

Thanks for all those that suffered in this thread with me, the motivation of others doing well certainly made me bust my ass this semester. Good luck to all still taking too!

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Tue May 10, 2011 4:30 pm

Went into my Con Law final, read the question and checked to see if I walked into the wrong room.

No...all the people I know are there. Read the question again and pinched self to see if I am dreaming.

Nope...still awake. Read the question a third time while sobbing and welcoming future unemployment.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Tue May 10, 2011 4:34 pm

Gamecubesupreme wrote:Went into my Con Law final, read the question and checked to see if I walked into the wrong room.

No...all the people I know are there. Read the question again and pinched self to see if I am dreaming.

Nope...still awake. Read the question a third time while sobbing and welcoming future unemployment.

Pretty much how I felt during my Con Law final, too...

Hopefully Torts is better (last exam tomorrow!).

IthacaIsWet

Postby IthacaIsWet » Tue May 10, 2011 4:46 pm

Gamecubesupreme wrote:Went into my Con Law final, read the question and checked to see if I walked into the wrong room.

Yeah, this was me in my Property exam. :|

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue May 10, 2011 4:53 pm

2 hours into my ConLaw exam I wasn't sure I was writing on the right topic and it felt more like undergrad rambling than cohesive legal analysis. I fully expect to set the bottom of the curve. I literally could not put into words what I wrote because it was so awful.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue May 10, 2011 4:55 pm

This time around I made sure to keep my shortcomings in my mind throughout the exam. It made me catch 5 or 6 issues on contracts that I probably wouldn't have. I would have totally missed an argument for promissory estoppel in the final fact pattern today if I didn't reread the fact pattern and question after I wrote what I initially thought. My word count was probably a bit high, but I manged to cover nearly every big topic in our Ks class without doing any stretching. Most of it came from, well if the court finds there isn't consideration here, then you can say X should be estopped from denying the promise because.... etc, etc. Hopefully that's on point.

Con law was the toughest to not shit the bed on. But I made attack outlines so detailed that even when I felt the urge to shit the bed, I just took a deep breath and got back on course. Deep breathes, repeated readings, and big picture outlines before I write should hopefully correct any defects I had last semester (except be being long-winded as fuck, as evidenced here, lol).

/rant/vent

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Tue May 10, 2011 5:50 pm

I'm terrified to take Con Law next year now after reading this, especially since I thought my Ks exam sucked.

Property on Thursday then I'm doneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Bring it.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue May 10, 2011 7:10 pm

as stars burn wrote:I'm terrified to take Con Law next year now after reading this, especially since I thought my Ks exam sucked.

Property on Thursday then I'm doneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Bring it.

Be happy it's a 2L course and pray you have a job lined up by then.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue May 10, 2011 7:25 pm

Is it possible to learn Civ Pro (the FRCP part) within the next 12 hours or so? Definitely hoping I can memorize a good part of it. We're only allowed a 5 page outline :(

solotee

Postby solotee » Tue May 10, 2011 8:00 pm

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue May 10, 2011 8:08 pm

solotee wrote:

GOING TO GET DRUNK AND GOING TO MAKE ATTEMPTS AT PICKING UP CHICKS, TOO BAD I HAVE NO GAME (READ: SOCIAL SKILLS) ANYMORE

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Tue May 10, 2011 8:38 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Just noticed something. We have 3 sections at my school, 2 of them have a 3-4 hour essay final. My essay final consists of ONE long fact oattern and he gives us multiple NEW cases we haven't read to read and apply during the test...the last section has a 1 hour multiple choice...I call BS on this.

It's easy to get pissed about this stuff, but remember it's all on a curve. You may feel like shit now, but imagine if the curve is tight on the MC test and your memory about an obscure fact decides if your grade is A-range or B-range.

Harder exams suck, but it also makes the differences in grades less arbitrary. Our crim-law professor argued as much, easy question = 80% of the answers are almost impossible to distinguish = arbitrary and superficial distinctions between top and mediocre grades.

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Tue May 10, 2011 9:11 pm

Just out of curiosity: how big of an affect do earlier exams have on later exams for most of you? I took my Criminal Justice exam today, the third out of four substantive exams, and I swear I couldn't piece a grammatically correct sentence together for the life of me. Forget knowing the law, I hope something I wrote makes sense. Hopefully this is common; soul crushing curve ftw?

nymario

Postby nymario » Tue May 10, 2011 9:27 pm

Torvon wrote:Just out of curiosity: how big of an affect do earlier exams have on later exams for most of you? I took my Criminal Justice exam today, the third out of four substantive exams, and I swear I couldn't piece a grammatically correct sentence together for the life of me. Forget knowing the law, I hope something I wrote makes sense. Hopefully this is common; soul crushing curve ftw?

Still can't, judging by the affect/effect usage up there...

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed May 11, 2011 1:35 am

nymario wrote:
Torvon wrote:Just out of curiosity: how big of an affect do earlier exams have on later exams for most of you? I took my Criminal Justice exam today, the third out of four substantive exams, and I swear I couldn't piece a grammatically correct sentence together for the life of me. Forget knowing the law, I hope something I wrote makes sense. Hopefully this is common; soul crushing curve ftw?

Still can't, judging by the affect/effect usage up there...

Don't be a douchebag in my thread, fucker.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:44 am

Sogui wrote:

It's easy to get pissed about this stuff, but remember it's all on a curve. You may feel like shit now, but imagine if the curve is tight on the MC test and your memory about an obscure fact decides if your grade is A-range or B-range.

Harder exams suck, but it also makes the differences in grades less arbitrary. Our crim-law professor argued as much, easy question = 80% of the answers are almost impossible to distinguish = arbitrary and superficial distinctions between top and mediocre grades.

This. On hard exams the curve will tend to naturally represent the distribution of scores. Those easy issue spotters that turn into word dumps don't test shit. The result is that a clusterfuck of scores, all hovering within a few points of each other, have a curve superimposed upon them. It totally distorts how good the "As" actually are and how bad the "B-s" actually are.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:39 am

solotee wrote:

I can't wait to say that. You guys have me terrified!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”