1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
traehekat

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby traehekat » Sat May 07, 2011 12:20 pm

as stars burn wrote:Someone please tell me to quit worrying about how bad my Ks exam sucked.....................

i feel pretty bad about my civ pro exam. there were 6 directed questions after the fact pattern, and while i don't THINK any of them really asked for a person jurisdiction analysis, i realized like 30 min after the exam that i didn't talk about minimum contacts ANYWHERE on the exam. since that was a huge part of the class, i feel like i missed some huge issue somewhere.

Cherith Cutestory

Postby Cherith Cutestory » Sat May 07, 2011 1:07 pm

i feel pretty bad about my civ pro exam. there were 6 directed questions after the fact pattern, and while i don't THINK any of them really asked for a person jurisdiction analysis, i realized like 30 min after the exam that i didn't talk about minimum contacts ANYWHERE on the exam. since that was a huge part of the class, i feel like i missed some huge issue somewhere.

In our review session for Ks, our prof heavily hinted that offer and acceptance, Statute of Frauds, and 2-207 would be a big part of the exam.

Every question literally began with "A and B enter into a written and signed contract that states..."

I 'finished'/hit the word limit with about six minutes left and basically tried to will a 2-207 problem into existence on the page.

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Sat May 07, 2011 2:02 pm

--ImageRemoved--

I can't believe a cat has more confidence than me.

*sobs in a corner*

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Sat May 07, 2011 2:08 pm

as stars burn wrote:Someone please tell me to quit worrying about how bad my Ks exam sucked.....................

My K's exam was a horrible nightmare that both went too quick and seemed to never end.

I went home and looked up summer school to see if I could re-take K's then in the event that I fail.

goosey

Postby goosey » Sat May 07, 2011 6:42 pm

K's exam monday..

took another practice test...4k words, finished 1.5 hours early. That is a huge fail because I clearly missed a LOT

no idea how the hell to study for this damn test.

lawloser22

Postby lawloser22 » Sat May 07, 2011 7:18 pm

goosey wrote:K's exam monday..

took another practice test...4k words, finished 1.5 hours early. That is a huge fail because I clearly missed a LOT

I recall Omerta suggested checking out Radin's old best student answers to get a general overview of how to write exams (comparing the best student answers to the not so great ones). I would probably blindly do whatever he told me to when it comes to exam taking. They're also in Ks, so you might find them particularly helpful:

--LinkRemoved--

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Sat May 07, 2011 10:12 pm

SmittenMitten wrote:

My K's exam was a horrible nightmare that both went too quick and seemed to never end.

I went home and looked up summer school to see if I could re-take K's then in the event that I fail.

Phew. While this feeling totally blows...it's somewhat comforting to know I'm not alone.

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Sat May 07, 2011 11:59 pm

Wtf @ my property class

Didn't cover future interests. Covered no sort of easement other than expressed... can't say I'm upset though

IthacaIsWet

Postby IthacaIsWet » Sun May 08, 2011 12:05 am

So, 36 hours until my closed-book Civ Pro (the Jurisdiction/Preclusion half, the FRCP/erie half was last semester) final.

Took a practice exam and it made me realize how little I know. I'm fuuuuucked.

What the hell should I be doing? Besides drinking heavily and praying for median?

mths

Postby mths » Sun May 08, 2011 12:33 am

Charles Barkley wrote:Wtf @ my property class

Didn't cover future interests. Covered no sort of easement other than expressed... can't say I'm upset though

enjoy that curve

mths

Postby mths » Sun May 08, 2011 12:33 am

IthacaIsWet wrote:So, 36 hours until my closed-book Civ Pro (the Jurisdiction/Preclusion half, the FRCP/erie half was last semester) final.

What the hell should I be doing? Besides drinking heavily and praying for median?

While my heart bleeds for Holden-Smith's class, I have to take a Clermont exam.

Soooo yeah.

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Sun May 08, 2011 12:45 am

mths wrote:
Charles Barkley wrote:Wtf @ my property class

enjoy that curve

Our professor didn't teach anything... Class was completely unhelpful.

I don't think the curve will be as tight as it would have been otherwise.

weee

Postby weee » Sun May 08, 2011 4:53 am

I just can't shake the feeling that I'm not adequately prepared. Close Book Conlaw Monday, scared.

IthacaIsWet

Postby IthacaIsWet » Sun May 08, 2011 10:31 am

mths wrote:
IthacaIsWet wrote:So, 36 hours until my closed-book Civ Pro (the Jurisdiction/Preclusion half, the FRCP/erie half was last semester) final.

While my heart bleeds for Holden-Smith's class, I have to take a Clermont exam.

Soooo yeah.

His exam is hard, but really fair. 1 or 2 out of 30 MC questions might be out of left field, but most are just challenging and might require research. I'd trade with you in a heartbeat though.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun May 08, 2011 11:31 am

Oh Con Law, I Hate
Strict Scrutiny always
GPA is sinking

mths

Postby mths » Sun May 08, 2011 1:17 pm

IthacaIsWet wrote:His exam is hard, but really fair. 1 or 2 out of 30 MC questions might be out of left field, but most are just challenging and might require research. I'd trade with you in a heartbeat though.

Good luck, bro.

goosey

Postby goosey » Sun May 08, 2011 1:30 pm

I talk to myself to memorize and am starting to feel really crazy.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Sun May 08, 2011 1:34 pm

goosey wrote:K's exam monday..

That sucks. Hmmmmm, did you use every single fact? Whenever I finish early, I try to figure out what facts I didn't use, and I usually find more issues that way.

Good luck!!

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Sun May 08, 2011 1:42 pm

goosey wrote:I talk to myself to memorize and am starting to feel really crazy.

we decided to go to law school, we're all already certified crazy

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Sun May 08, 2011 2:37 pm

weee wrote:I just can't shake the feeling that I'm not adequately prepared. Close Book Conlaw Monday, scared.

That's the stuff nightmares are made of

studebaker07

Postby studebaker07 » Sun May 08, 2011 6:05 pm

What really helped me in Civ Pro was to just look at the rules and copy them over and over until I actually had the rules down pat. Taking a big picture approach to jurisdiction/preclusion and how they work in conjunction with the rest of a lawsuit really helps too.

Do you not understand the concepts period or are you just not getting the entirety of the rules?

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Sun May 08, 2011 8:11 pm

goosey wrote:anyone else freaking out significantly less about what their grades are?

i am just like...man..as long as I keep that scholarship, I dont care if I get straigh B+'s...last semester I was gunning for A's
and there is also the occasional moment of "as long as I am above median and keeo 80% of my scholarship..."

Definitely. We got a look at last year's OCI results (like 70% of the class accepted offers at OCI) and in that moment I lost all motivation to work hard on exams. I think the only way I can maintain even passable levels of motivation is by living under the gun, "Oh god if I don't work hard now I will be buried under massive loans working in shitlaw and never able to show my face in public again...". Now I'm like "Meh, I just need to beat the median and not goof up my interviews". I have a feeling I'm going to regret this attitude.

For 2/2 of my exams this Spring I haven't been able to present a coherent answer for the last problem before time ran out, same thing happened in the fall for 1 of my exams and that was my lowest grade. I just now made the connection that law professors might not be so sympathetic about rambling final answers as I thought and I'm fully bracing for lousy grades this semester.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sun May 08, 2011 8:33 pm

Sogui wrote:
goosey wrote:anyone else freaking out significantly less about what their grades are?

i am just like...man..as long as I keep that scholarship, I dont care if I get straigh B+'s...last semester I was gunning for A's
and there is also the occasional moment of "as long as I am above median and keeo 80% of my scholarship..."

Definitely. We got a look at last year's OCI results (like 70% of the class accepted offers at OCI) and in that moment I lost all motivation to work hard on exams. I think the only way I can maintain even passable levels of motivation is by living under the gun, "Oh god if I don't work hard now I will be buried under massive loans working in shitlaw and never able to show my face in public again...". Now I'm like "Meh, I just need to beat the median and not goof up my interviews". I have a feeling I'm going to regret this attitude.

For 2/2 of my exams this Spring I haven't been able to present a coherent answer for the last problem before time ran out, same thing happened in the fall for 1 of my exams and that was my lowest grade. I just now made the connection that law professors might not be so sympathetic about rambling final answers as I thought and I'm fully bracing for lousy grades this semester.

So true! Once they gave us last Fall's EIP numbers, my motivation evaporated!

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Sun May 08, 2011 8:48 pm

swc65 wrote:
Sogui wrote:

So true! Once they gave us last Fall's EIP numbers, my motivation evaporated!

Out of curiosity, and this is probably the most irreverent place to ask this question, but what are the material differences between say a V10 firm and a V50 one? Obviously prestige and bonuses are a factor, but many of the V10 appear to work you to the bone for that extra money anyway. I'm curious about the other factors that I might be downplaying. Will there be significantly my in-house opportunities be limited in any significant way? What other factors make V10 distinguishable from V25-50?

Maybe this will help motivate me :?

IthacaIsWet

Postby IthacaIsWet » Sun May 08, 2011 9:12 pm

studebaker07 wrote:

What really helped me in Civ Pro was to just look at the rules and copy them over and over until I actually had the rules down pat. Taking a big picture approach to jurisdiction/preclusion and how they work in conjunction with the rest of a lawsuit really helps too.

Do you not understand the concepts period or are you just not getting the entirety of the rules?

It's some minutae and individual rules (the gilbert factors for FNC, the factors for the fairness analysis when doing an international shoe analysis) . I've heard that this professor expects a open-book level of specificity on a closed book exam. But at least we're all in the same boat.

Plus it feels like I'm trying to cram so much into my head that it's going to go blank tomorrow and I'll be looking down at a sheet saying "Jurisdiction? What the fuck is jurisdiction?"

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”