1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BarbellDreams

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu May 05, 2011 8:44 pm

If my entire property exam was ONLY present estates and future interests I would guarantee an A/A-. Its all that other stuff that I seemed to neglect studying while putting time into present estates and future interests that scares me.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Thu May 05, 2011 8:57 pm

I'm strongly considering pulling a Cerrano and sacrificing a live chicken right before the exam for good luck. I think it's my best chance to do well in civ pro

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Thu May 05, 2011 8:59 pm

Property exam is at 8:30. I cannot study for one more fricking minute.

Property, I hate you. I hate you so much. Just let me pass, don't totally asplode my GPA, and then we can leave each other alone until the bar exam. Please. I'm begging here.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:00 pm

fathergoose wrote:I'm strongly considering pulling a Cerrano and sacrificing a live chicken right before the exam for good luck. I think it's my best chance to do well in civ pro

:lol:

But in the end, Cerrano didn't need the chicken: "Fuck you, Jobu - I'll do it myself"
LOVE that movie.

hds2388

Postby hds2388 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:02 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:Property exam is at 8:30. I cannot study for one more fricking minute.

Property, I hate you. I hate you so much. Just let me pass, don't totally asplode my GPA, and then we can leave each other alone until the bar exam. Please. I'm begging here.

I have property tomorrow at 2. Then I'll be following it with the drink I just thought up. The fee simple absolut.

smiley

Postby smiley » Thu May 05, 2011 9:05 pm

hds2388 wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:Property exam is at 8:30. I cannot study for one more fricking minute.

I have property tomorrow at 2. Then I'll be following it with the drink I just thought up. The fee simple absolut.

WOW! i love it! what's gonna be in it?

edit: besides absolut

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Thu May 05, 2011 9:11 pm

hds2388 wrote:

So an entire bottle of absolut that no one has the rights to the remainder once you pass out?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu May 05, 2011 10:27 pm

Hey, hey
My, my
Civ Pro
Can fucking die

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu May 05, 2011 10:42 pm

Property exam in 10 hours, feel more prepared than ever after today's review session. Lets do this!

IthacaIsWet

Postby IthacaIsWet » Thu May 05, 2011 11:04 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:If my entire property exam was ONLY present estates and future interests I would guarantee an A/A-. Its all that other stuff that I seemed to neglect studying while putting time into present estates and future interests that scares me.

I was like this earlier today.

My property exam barely had any future interests on it.

:(

goosey

Postby goosey » Thu May 05, 2011 11:19 pm

spent a good portion of the day going thru law in a flash for K's..worked my way through half a deck and spent 3 hours on a practice test [teh sad part about this is that I only got 1/3 of the way through the test]

tomorrow morning:
6-10: finish prop outline
10-1: K's practice test
1-2: review practice test
2-330: random prop exam prep
330-630: another Ks test

..and then I will see where I find myself.
Ks on monday, prop on friday. then I am DONE,,woooo

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu May 05, 2011 11:19 pm

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu May 05, 2011 11:22 pm

iminlstrick wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
Gamecubesupreme wrote:Future Interests is killing me.

I just did my teachers sample questions and don't even remember learning this stuff. He talked about remainder life estates. Vested remainderin fee simple. Ugh it's like watching 20% of my exam go down the toilet.

For that stuff, I found it best to just spend a few hours going through all Estates/FI stuff and diagramming it out on one piece of paper (front and back) for easy reference during the exam. That and just practice problems. If you can overnight Edwards' "Estates and Future Interests" via Amazon 1-day, the book is really straightforward and has diagrams for you if you need guidance. GL!

My exam is literally at 8:30, but if anyone has some sort of flow char they're willing to donate to me, well... you'd pretty much be my best friend for ever and ever and ever.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu May 05, 2011 11:23 pm

It is 10:30 here. In 13 hours I will be done; in 14 hours I will be so drunk as to be unrecognizable as a human being.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu May 05, 2011 11:29 pm

Legislation exam tomorrow. Hopefully this will pick me up after my conlaw-induced bout of PTSD. I could use a boost going into the homestretch and final week. I can't believe that in exactly 1 week, the party will be raging since we will be DONE.

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Thu May 05, 2011 11:43 pm

I need to stop looking in this thread. I haven't even started exams yet, and you all are starting to freak me out. :shock: Need to be on my game for my 24 hr crim take out Mon.

IthacaIsWet

Postby IthacaIsWet » Fri May 06, 2011 1:16 am

--LinkRemoved--

All 1L classes except the one I'm currently preparing for. :(

Even Lexis hates CivPro

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Fri May 06, 2011 1:56 am

IthacaIsWet wrote:http://www.lexisnexis.com/lawschool/study/outlines/

Even Lexis hates CivPro

That crim law outline is an outline of Dressler's Understanding book, which is what I'm pretty sure my professor taught out of. It's perfect :shock: :mrgreen:

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Fri May 06, 2011 2:16 am

alcohol is my friend

<3 1L.

Do not <3 possible future grades.

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Fri May 06, 2011 2:24 am

Baylan wrote:alcohol is my friend

<3 1L.

Do not <3 possible future grades.

UVA? :p

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Fri May 06, 2011 2:26 am

Anyone complaining about anything other than a closed-book Con Law exam get no sympathy from me.

FUCK THIS SHIT.

Alas, no need to outrun the bear. Just outrun the collection of misfits and one-legged men in the woods beside me.

IthacaIsWet

Postby IthacaIsWet » Fri May 06, 2011 2:27 am

starchinkilt wrote:
IthacaIsWet wrote:http://www.lexisnexis.com/lawschool/study/outlines/

Even Lexis hates CivPro

That crim law outline is an outline of Dressler's Understanding book, which is what I'm pretty sure my professor taught out of. It's perfect :shock: :mrgreen:

Shit, my professor recommended Dressler's Understanding as well, but I hadn't started to look at crim law yet.

good to know

IthacaIsWet

Postby IthacaIsWet » Fri May 06, 2011 2:27 am

Ty Webb wrote:Anyone complaining about anything other than a closed-book Con Law exam get no sympathy from me.

FUCK THIS SHIT.

Closed book civ pro.

:(

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri May 06, 2011 2:46 am

Insomnia strikes again. Going to have 2 beers, hoping it will help.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Fri May 06, 2011 2:55 am

I'm already so apathetic it's incredible, I'm taking solace in the possibility that even straight B's wouldn't sink my job prospects.

Seriously, who goes to CLS and doesn't start prep'ing for an exam until the day before?

Also, yea whoever has those closed-book exams for CivPro has my sympathy. ConLaw isn't so bad as long as you remember the leading case(s) on each major topic and just try to go off rough memory beyond that, it's hard to completely screw up a ConLaw answer as long as your logic is consistent with something that a majority or dissent has used before.

I've come to the cynical conclusion that open-book isn't much better. Too many professors just give their exams the "check" treatment and inevitably give top grades to people who can simply talk "more" about a topic without necessarily talking "smart" about it. Sure the smart answers will trump bland ones of equal length, but can an intelligent insight really put you above someone who cranked out 2,000/3,000/4,000 more words than you? Unless you've got a strong working memory of the relevant case law and black letter, you still spend too much time flipping through notes or outlines while the truly prepared have already got a paragraph framing their discussion typed in to ExamSoft.

Maybe I'm wrong but I can't help but notice how all our model answers in my core classes have 3000/word per hour of answer time, that includes the time it would take to read the question and outline your answer (written or mentally). Am I just looking for excuses or is this a common trend among professors to favor the longest answers as the best answers?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”