1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
YourCaptain

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby YourCaptain » Wed May 04, 2011 9:27 am

snowpeach06 wrote:I REALLY don't get the rule against perpetuities. Like, I can't even figure out who the measuring life is.

Take the Lives in being mentioned, when Owner dies, kill them too. Do you know in 21 years whether the contingency will be satisfied? Even if it might be satisfied, if you do know for fact it will be, RAP violated.

maf70

Postby maf70 » Wed May 04, 2011 9:44 am

YourCaptain wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:I REALLY don't get the rule against perpetuities. Like, I can't even figure out who the measuring life is.

Take the Lives in being mentioned, when Owner dies, kill them too. Do you know in 21 years whether the contingency will be satisfied? Even if it might be satisfied, if you do know for fact it will be, RAP violated.

I always played RAP like Clue. If I kill this guy with a lead pipe in the living room...and then this guy...and then this guy...will some other person's interest vest or fail to vest within 21 years.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed May 04, 2011 10:37 am

Honestly, I haven't even started reviewing RAP yet but I basically just look at the original deed/will/whatever and see who all the named people are and then count 21 years after the last one of the named people dies and see if the future interest has vested by then. I have no idea if this is right, will know in like 4 hours after I do supplement work on it :)

stayway

Postby stayway » Wed May 04, 2011 10:44 am

7 days till I can blackout really really hard.

Mroberts3

Postby Mroberts3 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:03 am

maf70 wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:

I always played RAP like Clue. If I kill this guy with a lead pipe in the living room...and then this guy...and then this guy...will some other person's interest vest or fail to vest within 21 years.

While I never really "got" RAP, its more about practice and patterns than it is about conceptual understanding. Once you know the basic rule its not that hard to guess and check by killing people and having new people be born. I know that doesn't really help, but my advice is less "learn the rule inside and out" and more "just know the patterns that violate it."

One thing I think is a good trap to know about is that a reversion interest in grantor does not violate rule. EX:

To A until a woman is elected president. = OK under the rule (because reversion to O's heirs when that happens).
To A until a woman is elected president, then to B. = Not ok because A could die and then 60 years later a woman is elected and A's heirs would have to give it to B's heirs.

Mroberts3

Postby Mroberts3 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:04 am

YourCaptain wrote:
rad law wrote:

I hope what yall said is right. At this point I would be ecstatic to just maintain my GPA.

I would do terrible things to just maintain it.

Agreed. Shameful, horrible, awful things.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed May 04, 2011 11:25 am

I know there are presentestates and future interests that "go together" (like fee simple determinable always goes with possibility of reverter and life estate always goes with reversion, etc.). Anyone have a list of which go with which? Anyone have any idea what the hell I am talking about?

uzpakalis

Postby uzpakalis » Wed May 04, 2011 12:11 pm

I'm going to make crim law my bitch tomorrow, who's coming with me?!

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Wed May 04, 2011 12:12 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I know there are presentestates and future interests that "go together" (like fee simple determinable always goes with possibility of reverter and life estate always goes with reversion, etc.). Anyone have a list of which go with which? Anyone have any idea what the hell I am talking about?

"Subject to Condition Subsequent" ----------------- "Right of Entry"
"Determinable" ------------------------------------ "Possibility of Reverter"
"Executory Interest" ------------------------------ "Reversion...Subject to Executory Limitation"
"Life Estate" -------------------------------------- "reversion"
"Contingent Remainder" ----------------------------"reversion... subject to divestment"

Is this what you are looking for?

Edit: forgot one... and tried to make it more readable
Last edited by Scurredsitless1 on Wed May 04, 2011 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed May 04, 2011 12:35 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:I know there are presentestates and future interests that "go together" (like fee simple determinable always goes with possibility of reverter and life estate always goes with reversion, etc.). Anyone have a list of which go with which? Anyone have any idea what the hell I am talking about?

"Subject to Condition Subsequent" to "Right of Entry"
"Determinable" to "Possibility of Reverter"
"Subject to Executory Limitation" to "Executory Interest"
"Life Estate" to "reversion"

Yes, thats exactly what I am looking for. Thanks. Are those all of them? Does RAP only apply to executory interest and contigent remainders?

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Wed May 04, 2011 12:40 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
Scurredsitless1 wrote:

Yes, thats exactly what I am looking for. Thanks. Are those all of them? Does RAP only apply to executory interest and contigent remainders?

As I understand it, Determinable and condition subsequent are also subject to the rule. But I think some people learn those as being a subset of contingent remainders.

Also, my prof keeps telling us that different people teach it different ways. So the language he used may not be exactly what your prof is looking for.

Note: I added one. Good luck man.

ogurty

Postby ogurty » Wed May 04, 2011 1:06 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:
Scurredsitless1 wrote:

As I understand it, Determinable and condition subsequent are also subject to the rule. But I think some people learn those as being a subset of contingent remainders.

Also, my prof keeps telling us that different people teach it different ways. So the language he used may not be exactly what your prof is looking for.

Note: I added one. Good luck man.

Your prof must have taught it differently because this just isn't right. Estates in land can't be subject to RAP - so determinable estates or estates subject to condition subsequent are not subject to the rule. And the future interests which follow those two estates aren't subject to RAP because they're retained by the grantor.

Contingent remainders, executory interests, and remainders subject to open are subject to the rule. Remainders follow life estates (as can reversions which are not subject to RAP), executory limitations follow fees or life estates subject to an executory limitation.

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed May 04, 2011 1:06 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:

"Subject to Condition Subsequent" ----------------- "Right of Entry"
"Determinable" ------------------------------------ "Possibility of Reverter"
"Executory Interest" ------------------------------ "Reversion...Subject to Executory Limitation"
"Life Estate" -------------------------------------- "reversion"
"Contingent Remainder" ----------------------------"reversion... subject to divestment"

Edit: forgot one... and tried to make it more readable

Transpher

Postby Transpher » Wed May 04, 2011 1:23 pm

Does anyone feel like they're actually doing better this semester? My level of confidence is unnerving to me. But I feel like I learned how to take an exam last semester and now I'm just putting it into practice. And spending way less time studying. Am I the guy who's going crazy and is going to fail out now or do others feel the same?

Rurik

Postby Rurik » Wed May 04, 2011 1:24 pm

Transpher wrote:Does anyone feel like they're actually doing better this semester? My level of confidence is unnerving to me. But I feel like I learned how to take an exam last semester and now I'm just putting it into practice. And spending way less time studying.

I feel like that except the opposite.

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed May 04, 2011 1:26 pm

Rurik wrote:
Transpher wrote:Does anyone feel like they're actually doing better this semester? My level of confidence is unnerving to me. But I feel like I learned how to take an exam last semester and now I'm just putting it into practice. And spending way less time studying.

I feel like I studied less and will fail.

smiley

Postby smiley » Wed May 04, 2011 1:38 pm

goosey wrote:
Rurik wrote:

I feel like last semester I had a top secret plan (TLS wisdom) and it worked, and this semester everyone else figured it out. Therefore, I think I failed this semester.

IthacaIsWet

Postby IthacaIsWet » Wed May 04, 2011 1:45 pm

goosey wrote:
Rurik wrote:

I feel like Rurik and Transpher.

Also, I hate you, Goosey. So so much. >:O

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:47 pm

I feel like i'm hitting the wall, and i'm only 1 final in... my brain will not let me concentrate/focus at all

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed May 04, 2011 1:49 pm

I feel like I am waiving good bye to my GPA every damn day.

mbusch22

Postby mbusch22 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:51 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I feel like I am waiving good bye to my GPA every damn day.

It's at least comforting that a lot of us feel like this though. I'm happy I added some major padding last semester.

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed May 04, 2011 1:59 pm

IthacaIsWet wrote:
goosey wrote:
Rurik wrote:

I feel like Rurik and Transpher.

Also, I hate you, Goosey. So so much. >:O

why what did i do

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed May 04, 2011 2:19 pm

smiley wrote:
goosey wrote:
Rurik wrote:

I feel like last semester I had a top secret plan (TLS wisdom) and it worked, and this semester everyone else figured it out. Therefore, I think I failed this semester.

Me too, me too! This site was surprisingly helpful.

maf70

Postby maf70 » Wed May 04, 2011 2:23 pm

mbusch22 wrote:

It's at least comforting that a lot of us feel like this though. I'm happy I added some major padding last semester.

Everyone seems MORE confident coming out of exams this semester at my school..except the people at the top who seem scared out of their minds.

NarwhalPunter

Postby NarwhalPunter » Wed May 04, 2011 3:20 pm

maf70 wrote:
mbusch22 wrote:

Everyone seems MORE confident coming out of exams this semester at my school..except the people at the top who seem scared out of their minds.

This. I'm one of those at the top, and things just don't feel the same coming out of an exam this semester. It's as if I just didn't learn the law as well as I should have. Meanwhile, everyone below the top 15% or so seems to feel great about everything.

Gophigure.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”