1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
geekrocker37

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby geekrocker37 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:30 pm

I just beat the crap out of some pillows due to finals stress.

--ImageRemoved--

tortsmakemehot10

Postby tortsmakemehot10 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:33 pm

Yea they shouldn't be on the same curve (though you can't curve 5 people against each other either).[/quote]

Good point, I just wish there was some way to protect against it. As far as I can tell all they have to do is pay a private psychiatrist to do a couple tests and recommend them for extra time.[/quote]

They could just give them the grade, but not put them on the curve - like the LSAT. This way they would not take away from people who had the regular time. Schools can make it known that sure, the kid "achieved" an A, but did it with extra time - whatever that is worth. A judge is not going to give someone a continuance or extra time because, Oh I'm sorry, you are "special?" I mean lets be totally honest, ALMOST ANYONE who did the work all semester and read GTM etc could get an A on an exam with time and a half. Time and a half for my con law exam is nearly 6 hours - are you kidding me?

IthacaIsWet

Postby IthacaIsWet » Tue May 03, 2011 11:42 pm

IthacaIsWet wrote:Anyone have any good attack-charts or something for easements/servitudes/covenants?

Something that talks about requirements to create them, and the requirements for the burden and benefit to run, and other things that can help me with a professor who loves making long complex hypos with a ton of servitudes and shit?

Oh god please help :(

This got lost in the shuffle two pages ago.

Anyone?

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:44 pm

tortsmakemehot10 wrote:
They could just give them the grade, but not put them on the curve - like the LSAT. This way they would not take away from people who had the regular time. Schools can make it known that sure, the kid "achieved" an A, but did it with extra time - whatever that is worth. A judge is not going to give someone a continuance or extra time because, Oh I'm sorry, you are "special?" I mean lets be totally honest, ALMOST ANYONE who did the work all semester and read GTM etc could get an A on an exam with time and a half. Time and a half for my con law exam is nearly 6 hours - are you kidding me?

I think stigmatizing their transcript would probably be illegal under ADA, and maybe some other health privacy laws.

I'd give them a 24/hr period to do the test, but let the professors know that they are grading an exam that has been taken over a day. Let the professor give them whatever they think they deserve. They'll probably do better on average, but not significantly.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Wed May 04, 2011 12:15 am

lawloser22 wrote:Good point, I just wish there was some way to protect against it. As far as I can tell all they have to do is pay a private psychiatrist to do a couple tests and recommend them for extra time.

A lot of people also have physical disabilities that just aren't very noticeable to the casual observer (for instance, my roommate in college is legally blind, but barely anyone knows this because she just seems like a normal girl and is good at pretending to fit in). Idk, maybe I'm just naive, but I honestly believe that all or most of those who get extra time really need it. Like someone mentioned earlier, the schools won't just give extra time without a good reason. So, if someone who really needs and gets extra time also gets the top grade in a class, it probably just means that person would've gotten the top grade in the class had they not been disabled and had taken it with everyone else. I guess I could be wrong in some cases, but I hope I'm not.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Wed May 04, 2011 12:17 am

forty-two wrote:
lawloser22 wrote:Good point, I just wish there was some way to protect against it. As far as I can tell all they have to do is pay a private psychiatrist to do a couple tests and recommend them for extra time.

A lot of people also have physical disabilities that just aren't very noticeable to the casual observer (for instance, my roommate in college is legally blind, but barely anyone knows this because she just seems like a normal girl and is good at pretending to fit in). Idk, maybe I'm just naive, but I honestly believe that at least the vast majority of people who get extra time really need it. Like someone mentioned earlier, the schools won't just give extra time without a good reason. So, if someone who really needs and gets extra time also gets the top grade in a class, it probably just means that person would've gotten the top grade in the class had they not been disabled and had taken it with everyone else. I guess I could be wrong in some cases, but I hope I'm not.

Difference between disability and inability to do something as well as other people: GO!

tortsmakemehot10

Postby tortsmakemehot10 » Wed May 04, 2011 12:23 am

forty-two wrote:

A lot of people also have physical disabilities that just aren't very noticeable to the casual observer (for instance, my roommate in college is legally blind, but barely anyone knows this because she just seems like a normal girl and is good at pretending to fit in). Idk, maybe I'm just naive, but I honestly believe that all or most of those who get extra time really need it. Like someone mentioned earlier, the schools won't just give extra time without a good reason. So, if someone who really needs and gets extra time also gets the top grade in a class, it probably just means that person would've gotten the top grade in the class had they not been disabled and had taken it with everyone else. I guess I could be wrong in some cases, but I hope I'm not.

I was basing my assumptions on the fact that peachtree said that nothing seemed to be wrong with the person. But I agree with what you are saying - some things may not be as apparent. Regardless, law schools perpetuate this competitive environment, it seems unfair to allow someone to have more time than others unless they have some material issues that are really preventing them from doing well in the allotted time.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Wed May 04, 2011 12:35 am

tortsmakemehot10 wrote:
forty-two wrote:

I was basing my assumptions on the fact that peachtree said that nothing seemed to be wrong with the person. But I agree with what you are saying - some things may not be as apparent. Regardless, law schools perpetuate this competitive environment, it seems unfair to allow someone to have more time than others unless they have some material issues that are really preventing them from doing well in the allotted time.

Oh I agree. I think people getting extra time that they don't deserve is nothing short of cheating. However, I don't really want to judge who should and shouldn't be getting extra time because some people really need it and not every legitimate reason is noticeable.
Last edited by forty-two on Wed May 04, 2011 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed May 04, 2011 12:39 am

tortsmakemehot10 wrote:
forty-two wrote:

Nothing SEEMS to be wrong with her. But, she has alluded that she doesn't share everything about herself, and I don't doubt that there actually is something wrong with her. She doesn't strike me as dishonest, but, I'm not ready to ask yet.

lawloser22

Postby lawloser22 » Wed May 04, 2011 12:46 am

tortsmakemehot10 wrote:
forty-two wrote:

Yeah, it just seems pretty much impossible that all the students who get this extra time actually need it -- especially when looking at where they tend to end up on the curve as a group. Most of them are just the biggest gunners there is (generally those with wealthy families). Say there are 10 students in your grade who are receiving these accommodations. The top three students all come from this group, two more are in the top 10% (read, 50%), and the rest are scattered -- how would you feel? I strongly believe that this practice is widely abused - though it likely varies depending on the school. Maybe i'm just paranoid, but others at my school have brought this up too.

/rant
Last edited by lawloser22 on Wed May 04, 2011 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed May 04, 2011 12:59 am

I haven't noticed anyone here with accommodations and I don't think they give them. If you're noticing it, something's wrong because a significant number of people in law school shouldn't need extra time (it's different if it's just one or two people).

lawloser22

Postby lawloser22 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:07 am

keg411 wrote:I haven't noticed anyone here with accommodations and I don't think they give them. If you're noticing it, something's wrong because a significant number of people in law school shouldn't need extra time (it's different if it's just one or two people).

I agree, they shouldn't. This is why I think many, if not most of them, are cheating. Anyway, if interested, see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=117434, http://federalism.typepad.com/crime_fed ... w_sch.html, xoxohth

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Wed May 04, 2011 1:18 am

uwb09 wrote:eff you Con Law, you go to hell, you go to hell and you die!

on to contracts

+5

Rurik

Postby Rurik » Wed May 04, 2011 1:22 am

lawloser22 wrote:Yeah, it just seems pretty much impossible that all the students who get this extra time actually need it -- especially when looking at where they tend to end up on the curve as a group. Most of them are just the biggest gunners there is (generally those with wealthy families). Say there are 10 students in your grade who are receiving these accommodations. The top three students all come from this group, two more are in the top 10% (read, 50%), and the rest are scattered -- how would you feel? I strongly believe that this practice is widely abused - though it likely varies depending on the school. Maybe i'm just paranoid, but others at my school have brought this up too.

/rant

How would I feel? I would be spending some time convincing the school I had a disability. Don't hate the players.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Wed May 04, 2011 1:47 am

Rurik wrote:
lawloser22 wrote:Yeah, it just seems pretty much impossible that all the students who get this extra time actually need it -- especially when looking at where they tend to end up on the curve as a group. Most of them are just the biggest gunners there is (generally those with wealthy families). Say there are 10 students in your grade who are receiving these accommodations. The top three students all come from this group, two more are in the top 10% (read, 50%), and the rest are scattered -- how would you feel? I strongly believe that this practice is widely abused - though it likely varies depending on the school. Maybe i'm just paranoid, but others at my school have brought this up too.

/rant

How would I feel? I would be spending some time convincing the school I had a disability. Don't hate the players.

I believe lawloser22's hating the game. And rightfully so, IMO.

lawloser22

Postby lawloser22 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:55 am

BeenDidThat wrote:
Rurik wrote:

/rant

I believe lawloser22's hating the game. And rightfully so, IMO.

Probably true. As a strong believer in karma, I would never take the gross extra time advantage knowing that I didn't need it, but I am positive that many more people would take advantage of this it if they knew it was a possibility/so easy to get and wasn't accompanied by any asterisk/recognizable signal. Many of you probably just don't realize it's going on. Unfortunately, so far in LS I've ended up being in every class with the kid who's #1 in the class and receives extra time for bs add. Poor me, I know. This person and the others haven't stopped me from CALI'ing (though, not surprisingly, only in classes w/ exam word limits).

Rurik

Postby Rurik » Wed May 04, 2011 2:00 am

lawloser22 wrote:Probably true. As a strong believer in karma, I would never take the gross extra time advantage knowing that I didn't need it, but I am positive that many more people would take advantage of this it if they knew it was a possibility/so easy to get and wasn't accompanied by any asterisk/recognizable signal. Many of you probably just don't realize it's going on. Unfortunately, so far in LS I've ended up being in every class with the kid who's #1 in the class and receives extra time for bs add. Poor me, I know.

That's really weird. I'm personal friends with a lot of people in top 10 schools and nobody has ever mentioned anything like this happening. I've never heard even stories of this happening. I would probably be raising hell. Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but have you said anything to the Dean of Student Affairs, etc.?

lawloser22

Postby lawloser22 » Wed May 04, 2011 2:12 am

At top ten schools I don't think the pressure is quite as high as at some of the lower tiered. When students at TTT/TTTT schools know they have to be in the top 5% to get their dream job, I have a feeling they're much more likely to use these methods to get there than someone who just needs to be median - especially where everyone believes they'll be in the top 10% (and therefore doesn't think they'll need the advantage).

No, I haven't said anything. I don't want to be 'that guy'. I can't really complain since my grades are good, but the problem seemed much worse this semester during exams than last. I keep thinking it's probably just the nerves, but like I said, others have noticed. I wouldn't've said anything if others hadn't brought it up (here and IRL), but it is absolutely ridiculous. I almost lost my shit during my last exam when I noticed both the #1 & #2 in our class were missing from the exam room when I had seen them just minutes prior. Maybe it's just my section or just my school/type of school, idk.

I would welcome anyone to check this out if interested: --LinkRemoved--

I apologize for detracting from the thread, but, if it helps, I truly turned this frustration into motivation to kick their asses on exam day, and you should too!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed May 04, 2011 5:17 am

I CANNOT sleep. FUCK.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed May 04, 2011 5:18 am

rad law wrote:I CANNOT sleep. FUCK.

Smoke a cigarette with me.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed May 04, 2011 5:19 am

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
rad law wrote:I CANNOT sleep. FUCK.

Smoke a cigarette with me.

Monday or Tuesday next week bro. My tobacco habit is out of control.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed May 04, 2011 7:46 am

I keep falling asleep at 2 an waking up at 7. So tired! And now I need to literally learn property in 2 days.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Wed May 04, 2011 8:33 am

rad law wrote:

I hope what yall said is right. At this point I would be ecstatic to just maintain my GPA.

I would do terrible things to just maintain it.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed May 04, 2011 8:49 am

I REALLY don't get the rule against perpetuities. Like, I can't even figure out who the measuring life is.

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed May 04, 2011 9:01 am

1 down [cone law], two to go [Ks and property]

i feel like I did REALLY well on part 1 of the con law exam and then as time went on and as I got tired, my answers got crappier and crappier. I didnt even finish the last question..it was worth 15 points...I will be lucky if I got 5. It had an 800 word limit and I wrote like 222. fail.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”