1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
stayway

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby stayway » Tue May 03, 2011 7:18 pm

edit due to fail

weee

Postby weee » Tue May 03, 2011 7:24 pm

Multiple Choice exams with "none of the above" as an answer to most questions are evil.

Oh well, crim law down, two to go, and zero exam fatigue thanks to the multiple choice nature.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Tue May 03, 2011 7:50 pm

Survived Contracts. Survived Con Law. Survived Civ Pro.

If I can make it through Property (closed book) on Friday, I'm counting it as a win.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue May 03, 2011 8:06 pm

I knew exactly what would be on con law, but, for the first time ever, I didn't have enough time. My teacher likes order ,and my commerce clause quesiton was all out of order. And I didn't mention a ton of things. I felt kind of confident going in, but I could hardly concentrate. And, for once I really do think the curve will kill me. Ugh. I don't know if I did like, b bad, or like c bad in all my exams. I need to mentally prepare myself for C's though. But to be quite honest, I'll still be upset with B's. It's hard to like, think maybe i'll still get a-'s, since I did last semester, but at the same time know that it's also completely possible you'll get c's. Your not sure which one to believe.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue May 03, 2011 8:07 pm

some of these civ pro horror stories out there are freaking me out.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue May 03, 2011 8:20 pm

I wonder how many people do worse in their second semester. While still trying.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue May 03, 2011 8:38 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:I wonder how many people do worse in their second semester. While still trying.

I mean there is literally .1% chance I repeat this semester so whatever, hope the GPA doesn't get hurt TOO badly, I really can't afford to lose more than .1 or so.

The damn job search took up a LOT of time. Oh, that and the whole NBA/NHL playoff thing didn't help.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue May 03, 2011 8:41 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:I wonder how many people do worse in their second semester. While still trying.

I mean there is literally .1% chance I repeat this semester so whatever, hope the GPA doesn't get hurt TOO badly, I really can't afford to lose more than .1 or so.

The damn job search took up a LOT of time. Oh, that and the whole NBA/NHL playoff thing didn't help.

Everyone else seemed so well prepared this semester. For me, it literally could be like, from a 3.5 to a 2.5. Good lord, I hope it's not worse than that. I hope I don't lose my money.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue May 03, 2011 8:47 pm

Well on my way. My first semester grades were a surprise, so anything else will essentially be a letdown. My hope is that they don't drop too much. If they only drop a little bit, I will be totally fine with it. Though I guess I can't complain too much since, even if I mess up pretty much every class, I'll be at least in decent shape.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Tue May 03, 2011 8:49 pm

Hopefully all of the people above me.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue May 03, 2011 9:01 pm

i think ive mentioned this before, but while i was talking with a professor this semester about some stuff, i brought up concerns about possibly getting lucky last semester. she said it almost never happens - the vast majority of people who do well continue to do well. so yeah, fwiw, there you go.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Tue May 03, 2011 9:08 pm

traehekat wrote:

i think ive mentioned this before, but while i was talking with a professor this semester about some stuff, i brought up concerns about possibly getting lucky last semester. she said it almost never happens - the vast majority of people who do well continue to do well. so yeah, fwiw, there you go.

I talked to a prof today who said the same thing...it's just really hard to believe right now.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:24 pm

traehekat wrote:

*here's hoping. Also, i don't know that my grades were so good that I'd be completely insulated. But, that does make me feel slightly better. My friend who is top 5 or 10% just called me freaking out that she answered our last con law question completely wrong. Actually, I realized that she even gets extra time. But no one can figure out why - i mean, the girl got 2 cali's last semester an seems 100% of normal intelligence.

IthacaIsWet

Postby IthacaIsWet » Tue May 03, 2011 9:25 pm

forty-two wrote:
traehekat wrote:

I talked to a prof today who said the same thing...it's just really hard to believe right now.

They say that here as well, and it feels hollow.

I hope it's true!

IthacaIsWet

Postby IthacaIsWet » Tue May 03, 2011 9:26 pm

snowpeach06 wrote: an seems 100% of normal intelligence.

Aren't (at least) most people 100% of normal intelligence?

tortsmakemehot10

Postby tortsmakemehot10 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:59 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
traehekat wrote:

*here's hoping. Also, i don't know that my grades were so good that I'd be completely insulated. But, that does make me feel slightly better. My friend who is top 5 or 10% just called me freaking out that she answered our last con law question completely wrong. Actually, I realized that she even gets extra time. But no one can figure out why - i mean, the girl got 2 cali's last semester an seems 100% of normal intelligence.

What? that is totally unfair! why would the school allow this? Is this person foreign or something or is english their second language? 2 Cali's - that is a joke! That person should not be getting more time - anyone can Cali an exam with more time!!!!!!!!!! Even people who get more time on the LSAT are off the curve!!!!!

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Tue May 03, 2011 10:01 pm

tortsmakemehot10 wrote:What? that is totally unfair! why would the school allow this? Is this person foreign or something or is english their second language? 2 Cali's - that is a joke! That person should not be getting more time - anyone can Cali an exam with more time!!!!!!!!!!

Must be some sort of disability. Someone in our class got more time due to a disability. From what I understand it's a really high threshold to pass in order to get more time, i.e. it can't just be your normal "I have ADHD" nonsense.

tortsmakemehot10

Postby tortsmakemehot10 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:04 pm

fathergoose wrote:
tortsmakemehot10 wrote:What? that is totally unfair! why would the school allow this? Is this person foreign or something or is english their second language? 2 Cali's - that is a joke! That person should not be getting more time - anyone can Cali an exam with more time!!!!!!!!!!

Must be some sort of disability. Someone in our class got more time due to a disability. From what I understand it's a really high threshold to pass in order to get more time, i.e. it can't just be your normal "I have ADHD" nonsense.

Maybe so, but if you are Cali'ing exams - I am not sure what handicap you have... That is not easy whatsoever. That does not merely mean the person can get an A, but beats everyone else - which to me- seems to make that person "quasi-suspect" (not in a good way). Law school... has ruined... how I talk.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:37 pm

eff you Con Law, you go to hell, you go to hell and you die!

on to contracts

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:00 pm

forty-two wrote:
traehekat wrote:

+1

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue May 03, 2011 11:02 pm

keg411 wrote:
forty-two wrote:
traehekat wrote:

+1

I hope what yall said is right. At this point I would be ecstatic to just maintain my GPA.

lawloser22

Postby lawloser22 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:14 pm

fathergoose wrote:

Yeah I've noticed this at my school as well. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing some kids get 1.5x as much time when they clearly don't need it (as evidenced by their CALIs/summer work). I'm sure some people need it, but isn't that what their meds are for? There are way too many people who are doing this to cheat. In some of my classes I noticed 5+ people getting extra time this semester (most of whom I know did extremely well last semester). F-ing ridiculous... At least put them on a separate curve...

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:19 pm

lawloser22 wrote:
fathergoose wrote:

Yeah I've noticed this at my school as well. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing some kids get 1.5x as much time when they clearly don't need it (as evidenced by their CALIs/summer work). I'm sure some people need it, but isn't that what their meds are for? There are way too many people who are doing this to cheat. In some of my classes I noticed 5+ people getting extra time this semester (most of whom I know did extremely well last semester). F-ing ridiculous... At least put them on a separate curve...

Yea they shouldn't be on the same curve (though you can't curve 5 people against each other either).

mbusch22

Postby mbusch22 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:20 pm

keg411 wrote:
forty-two wrote:
traehekat wrote:

+1

lawloser22

Postby lawloser22 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
lawloser22 wrote:
fathergoose wrote:

Yea they shouldn't be on the same curve (though you can't curve 5 people against each other either).

Good point, I just wish there was some way to protect against it. As far as I can tell all they have to do is pay a private psychiatrist to do a couple tests and recommend them for extra time.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”