1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
jbarl1
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby jbarl1 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:36 pm

24-hour property take home exam starting now...too bad I know absolutely nothing about property.

J-tow10
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:24 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby J-tow10 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:44 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:36 hours till Civ Pro Exam, I am slowly going through everything with BOTH the E & E and the Glannon Guide but it seems like this is just too time consuming so I am thinking of just doing the Glannon Guide and only do the practice problems from the E & E without actually reading the substantive materials. Good idea? Bad idea? Great idea?



The practice problems at the end of each chapter of the E&E are golden. Soooooo glad I did them before my civ pro exam.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby keg411 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:49 pm

Sogui wrote:
keg411 wrote:
Sogui wrote:I had 1 take-home exam last semester and none this semester. I *really* wish we had more take-home exams.

The one I had was 8 hours, open book, and had a fair word limit to keep people from going crazy and transcribing everything they have on the subject into the answer. On the other hand I'm finding most of the stress for these timed issue spotters isn't about spotting the issues, nor is it about giving an intelligent discussion of them, it's about who can type at 90wpm and fit in as MUCH discussion about the issues as possible. Sure some professors are more discriminating in their grading, but others seem to grade on "checks" and if the another student can bring up more "stuff" then he's going to be ahead of you on the curve.

I still don't think I've heard a satisfying answer as to what a 3-4 hour exam does that an 8 hour take-home cannot, besides making studying 4x stressful/tedious/depressing.


I'll trade you my 8 hour ConLaw take home for a 3-4 hour in-class.


Is there a world limit? :D


Page limit on every question. We also have to quote from cases and include page numbers; so it's definitely not a test geared towards "racehorses".

FML.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby Grizz » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:50 pm

What is the difference between regulation and commandeering? If there is a difference, I don't see it. Maybe because I am an idiot.

User avatar
Rurik
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby Rurik » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:52 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:36 hours till Civ Pro Exam, I am slowly going through everything with BOTH the E & E and the Glannon Guide but it seems like this is just too time consuming so I am thinking of just doing the Glannon Guide and only do the practice problems from the E & E without actually reading the substantive materials. Good idea? Bad idea? Great idea?


My Civpro exam is in roughly 40 hours. I spent the last 27 hours (yes, 27 hours straight) going back through the E&E and the Glannon, through the entire Friedenthal hornbook for the first time, and then used all that to update my outline, refine my outline, and build flowcharts. Hell, yeah.

I think I'm going to go to bed now.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby keg411 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:54 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
Sogui wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Can someone explain to me the Lopez factors for determining if something has a substantial relationship to interstate commerce?

edit: Are there only 4 factors in Morrison?

and for 10th amendment - can states pass laws that commandeer so long as the fed gov enforces those rules themselves? Now I'm all confuzzled.


1) the channels of interstate commerce,
2) the instrumentalities of interstate commerce, or persons or things in interstate commerce,and
3) activities that substantially affect or substantially relate to interstate commerce

Pretty self-explanatory right?

Morrison added a sub-point to #3) That the regulated activity must be an economic activity in order for a "substantial aggregate affect" to make the activity fall under commerce clause authority.


Your 10th amendment question is confusing. The whole points of commandeering is that the Federal Gov ISN'T enforcing the rules themselves under their Constitutional authority, they are using threats (not just withholding benefits) as a means to control a state's actions or they are delegating state officials to the enforcement of federal laws. Is there a specific case you read that said otherwise?


A sample exam I'm reading said that the Morrison thing is:
1. Is regulated thing economic
2. Is there a jurisdictional element
3. Leg. history
4. Connection is attenuated
This seemed like the test in Lopez - minus some factors, but I don't remember a test from morrison so I got confused. Is there even a 7 factor test from Lopez?

It also said that the federal government must enforce its own regulations and not make states do that. But, I thought the federal government simply couldn't make regulations for states at all.


Those are all part of the "substantially affects" interstate commerce prong; it's articulated in Morrison.
I'm not sure what you mean by the last part about the federal gov't enforcing its own regulations unless you mean the Raich thing where it's part of a "statutory scheme" (in which you get CC + N&P).

User avatar
YourCaptain
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby YourCaptain » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:03 pm

500 word limits on analysis of a Taking is simply sadistic. Laying out the barest form of the doctrine alone is between 100-150

User avatar
Mroberts3
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:10 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby Mroberts3 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:29 pm

rad law wrote:What is the difference between regulation and commandeering? If there is a difference, I don't see it. Maybe because I am an idiot.


Look at New York v. United States. Its the best example I can think of because congress set out 3 things that regulated toxic waste, but only the last (take care provision requiring states to take title to the stuff) was unconstitutional under the 10th Amendment.

I can see where the confusion comes from, but as long as Congress isn't explicitly telling the state legislature (or state officials) to do something under a federal guideline, it is probably ok.

For example: Compare Printz v. United States where Congress told the chief law enforcement officer of each county to run background checks for gun purchases (and SC struck it down) to a hypothetical ban on interstate gun sales that don't have certain documentation. I think the 2nd one would be ok even if local cops often enforced the law because congress isn't mandating it.

Someone make sure I'm not making crap up?

EDIT: In any event, a commandeer question will almost certainly be an "argue both sides" kind of thing. Fact that show explicit direction from congress = bad for law. Facts that show incentives or voluntary enforcement by state officials = good for law.

Baylan
Posts: 356
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby Baylan » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:32 pm

Mroberts3 wrote:
rad law wrote:What is the difference between regulation and commandeering? If there is a difference, I don't see it. Maybe because I am an idiot.


Look at New York v. United States. Its the best example I can think of because congress set out 3 things that regulated toxic waste, but only the last (take care provision requiring states to take title to the stuff) was unconstitutional under the 10th Amendment.

I can see where the confusion comes from, but as long as Congress isn't explicitly telling the state legislature (or state officials) to do something under a federal guideline, it is probably ok.

For example: Compare Printz v. United States where Congress told the chief law enforcement officer of each county to run background checks for gun purchases (and SC struck it down) to a hypothetical ban on interstate gun sales that don't have certain documentation. I think the 2nd one would be ok even if local cops often enforced the law because congress isn't mandating it.

Someone make sure I'm not making crap up?


Cases are right. Essentially: U.S. Congress can't tell State legislatures/executives what to do, though they can "encourage" - there is a difference between coercion and encouraging, though.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby Grizz » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:03 pm

Mroberts3 wrote:
rad law wrote:What is the difference between regulation and commandeering? If there is a difference, I don't see it. Maybe because I am an idiot.


Look at New York v. United States. Its the best example I can think of because congress set out 3 things that regulated toxic waste, but only the last (take care provision requiring states to take title to the stuff) was unconstitutional under the 10th Amendment.

I can see where the confusion comes from, but as long as Congress isn't explicitly telling the state legislature (or state officials) to do something under a federal guideline, it is probably ok.

For example: Compare Printz v. United States where Congress told the chief law enforcement officer of each county to run background checks for gun purchases (and SC struck it down) to a hypothetical ban on interstate gun sales that don't have certain documentation. I think the 2nd one would be ok even if local cops often enforced the law because congress isn't mandating it.

Someone make sure I'm not making crap up?

EDIT: In any event, a commandeer question will almost certainly be an "argue both sides" kind of thing. Fact that show explicit direction from congress = bad for law. Facts that show incentives or voluntary enforcement by state officials = good for law.


That actually makes sense, and I think I'm beginning to get this now. Thanks.

User avatar
jbarl1
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby jbarl1 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:47 pm

HELP: I am taking a take-home property exam and using the Gilbert's Law Summary Supplement and one of the pages has been torn out (I bought it used). I believe what is on the page is what I need to answer part of one of my fact patterns. If someone has the 17th edition of the Gilbert's Law Summary on Property could you possibly PM me so I can send you my email address and you can email me a copy of the page I need? If it page 243/244. PLEASE!

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby swc65 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:54 pm

jbarl1 wrote:HELP: I am taking a take-home property exam and using the Gilbert's Law Summary Supplement and one of the pages has been torn out (I bought it used). I believe what is on the page is what I need to answer part of one of my fact patterns. If someone has the 17th edition of the Gilbert's Law Summary on Property could you possibly PM me so I can send you my email address and you can email me a copy of the page I need? If it page 243/244. PLEASE!



Try google books too!!

Also are you allowed to use the interwebs to get answers for your exams? If so, just look up the topic.

User avatar
solotee
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby solotee » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:01 pm

6 PM Tuesday....I am finished with 1L.

I keep repeating this to myself over and over.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:07 pm

Just read an article on people losing scholarships. Holy fuck.... I can't be one of those people. I didn't do well on my last two, I ned at least an a- in con law and I don't really know where to even start studying or trying to learn things. What do I do???

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby Grizz » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:11 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Just read an article on people losing scholarships. Holy fuck.... I can't be one of those people. I didn't do well on my last two, I ned at least an a- in con law and I don't really know where to even start studying or trying to learn things. What do I do???


Study MOAR

And pray to your deity of choice.

forty-two
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:33 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby forty-two » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:15 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Just read an article on people losing scholarships. Holy fuck.... I can't be one of those people. I didn't do well on my last two, I ned at least an a- in con law and I don't really know where to even start studying or trying to learn things. What do I do???

I think the best thing to do for con law is to come up with analytical frameworks for answering different question types, and then throw in cases to make analogies because you never actually know what SCOTUS is going to do. Then, as long as you just follow the framework, use the facts, and include a few case analogies, you should be fine. It seems weird, but con law exams can be very formulaic.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:16 pm

rad law wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Just read an article on people losing scholarships. Holy fuck.... I can't be one of those people. I didn't do well on my last two, I ned at least an a- in con law and I don't really know where to even start studying or trying to learn things. What do I do???


Study MOAR

And pray to your deity of choice.

Fucking Atheism!
forty-two wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Just read an article on people losing scholarships. Holy fuck.... I can't be one of those people. I didn't do well on my last two, I ned at least an a- in con law and I don't really know where to even start studying or trying to learn things. What do I do???

I think the best thing to do for con law is to come up with analytical frameworks for answering different question types, and then throw in cases to make analogies because you never actually know what SCOTUS is going to do. Then, as long as you just follow the framework, use the facts, and include a few case analogies, you should be fine. It seems weird, but con law exams can be very formulaic.

Uhm, good plan. I need to focus on learning cases. I remember holdings, but, I remember very few facts, or random holdings that aren't the main ones. Should I like... make flash cards or something?

forty-two
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:33 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby forty-two » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:23 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
forty-two wrote:I think the best thing to do for con law is to come up with analytical frameworks for answering different question types, and then throw in cases to make analogies because you never actually know what SCOTUS is going to do. Then, as long as you just follow the framework, use the facts, and include a few case analogies, you should be fine. It seems weird, but con law exams can be very formulaic.

Uhm, good plan. I need to focus on learning cases. I remember holdings, but, I remember very few facts, or random holdings that aren't the main ones. Should I like... make flash cards or something?

Is your final closed book or do you get to use an outline?

IthacaIsWet
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:56 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby IthacaIsWet » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:32 pm

When Paula Franzese starts singing during her Barbri lectures, I wish terrible things would happen to her.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:48 pm

Ugh. 2 down, 2 to go.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:51 pm

forty-two wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
forty-two wrote:I think the best thing to do for con law is to come up with analytical frameworks for answering different question types, and then throw in cases to make analogies because you never actually know what SCOTUS is going to do. Then, as long as you just follow the framework, use the facts, and include a few case analogies, you should be fine. It seems weird, but con law exams can be very formulaic.

Uhm, good plan. I need to focus on learning cases. I remember holdings, but, I remember very few facts, or random holdings that aren't the main ones. Should I like... make flash cards or something?

Is your final closed book or do you get to use an outline?

Fucking closed book. Our teacher says he doesn't care if you use cases, but every single model answer has them. And you can't just say a name, you need to say why you are using the case.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby 09042014 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:54 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
forty-two wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
forty-two wrote:I think the best thing to do for con law is to come up with analytical frameworks for answering different question types, and then throw in cases to make analogies because you never actually know what SCOTUS is going to do. Then, as long as you just follow the framework, use the facts, and include a few case analogies, you should be fine. It seems weird, but con law exams can be very formulaic.

Uhm, good plan. I need to focus on learning cases. I remember holdings, but, I remember very few facts, or random holdings that aren't the main ones. Should I like... make flash cards or something?

Is your final closed book or do you get to use an outline?

Fucking closed book. Our teacher says he doesn't care if you use cases, but every single model answer has them. And you can't just say a name, you need to say why you are using the case.


Make sure you know the case that is the current "good law." For commerce you only need to know Lopez and Raich for example. All the law before that is pretty much irrelevant. So don't waste your time learning old cases that you can't even use to make a point.

Did you read getting to maybe? I'm pretty sure just knowing how to take the exam puts you past a huge chunk of your class.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:58 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Make sure you know the case that is the current "good law." For commerce you only need to know Lopez and Raich for example. All the law before that is pretty much irrelevant. So don't waste your time learning old cases that you can't even use to make a point.

Did you read getting to maybe? I'm pretty sure just knowing how to take the exam puts you past a huge chunk of your class.


What school does she attend? If it's anything in the first (second too?) tier then hell no it won't. If it's in the top 25 then HELL, and I mean HELL no it won't.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:59 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Make sure you know the case that is the current "good law." For commerce you only need to know Lopez and Raich for example. All the law before that is pretty much irrelevant. So don't waste your time learning old cases that you can't even use to make a point.

Did you read getting to maybe? I'm pretty sure just knowing how to take the exam puts you past a huge chunk of your class.


That's true for the two issue spotters, but my prof. does a big "thematic" question. He was a poli. sci professor so hes' basically looking for you to spill out the history of everything.

What I know about taking a law school exam: Spell out your entire thought process, argue both sides, use tests, and analyze, don't just make conclusions. Type quickly! Anything I'm missing? I feel like second semester everyone that fucked up the first go around kind of learned how to take an exam though.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:00 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Make sure you know the case that is the current "good law." For commerce you only need to know Lopez and Raich for example. All the law before that is pretty much irrelevant. So don't waste your time learning old cases that you can't even use to make a point.

Did you read getting to maybe? I'm pretty sure just knowing how to take the exam puts you past a huge chunk of your class.


What school does she attend? If it's anything in the first (second too?) tier then hell no it won't. If it's in the top 25 then HELL, and I mean HELL no it won't.

Everyone tries to hide their schools on here, but, I go to Case, which will - hopefully - hit the T1 by the time I graduate or soon thereafter. First semester some people couldn't take an exam, this semester, most people probably can. Few people make the same mistake twice.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gadzooks, Ivy2015, ladybug1 and 22 guests