1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby snowpeach06 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:08 pm

For removal, it says you can file to remove within 30 days. This this mean you only have 29 days and the 30th day doesn't count?

User avatar
mbusch22
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby mbusch22 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:58 pm

i.....i just don't get it. typing as hard as you can definitely slows you down. so why are you doing it? does it make you feel more productive? "I'll show YOU who knows the law, pesky keyboard!" 12 more days.... 12 more days....

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby snowpeach06 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:05 pm

So confused... help please! So, if we have diversity jurisdiction. Then D adds in a 3rd party D. And that 3rd party D sues the Plaintiff, then can the plaintiff then sue him? I know P is barred from suing the 3rd party D first, but doesn't that change if the 3rd party D sues the Plaintiff?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby Grizz » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:19 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:So confused... help please! So, if we have diversity jurisdiction. Then D adds in a 3rd party D. And that 3rd party D sues the Plaintiff, then can the plaintiff then sue him? I know P is barred from suing the 3rd party D first, but doesn't that change if the 3rd party D sues the Plaintiff?


Depending on what jx you are in, P may be able to bring compulsory counterclaims. He can always sue in state court.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby snowpeach06 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:44 pm

rad law wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:So confused... help please! So, if we have diversity jurisdiction. Then D adds in a 3rd party D. And that 3rd party D sues the Plaintiff, then can the plaintiff then sue him? I know P is barred from suing the 3rd party D first, but doesn't that change if the 3rd party D sues the Plaintiff?


Depending on what jx you are in, P may be able to bring compulsory counterclaims. He can always sue in state court.

Is this this thing where there is no answer. Rule 14 allows this under 13(a) - but, then 1367 says no, so no real answer?

User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby as stars burn » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:52 pm

Soooo...random question. All of my professors this year are fairly new and refuse to give out more than one practice exam. I'm taking both this week, sending them to my TAs to review, and then that'll be it. Should I try to take other professor's exams teaching the same class? I've looked at other exams and their structure is completely different than my professors' exams, and the material coverage tends to be different as well. Thoughts? Last semester I literately had unlimited practice exams (only took about 2 per class though).

P.S. This semester blows. 12 days until my first final of the semester, and 18 days until it is all over.
Last edited by as stars burn on Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby romothesavior » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:54 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
rad law wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:So confused... help please! So, if we have diversity jurisdiction. Then D adds in a 3rd party D. And that 3rd party D sues the Plaintiff, then can the plaintiff then sue him? I know P is barred from suing the 3rd party D first, but doesn't that change if the 3rd party D sues the Plaintiff?


Depending on what jx you are in, P may be able to bring compulsory counterclaims. He can always sue in state court.

Is this this thing where there is no answer. Rule 14 allows this under 13(a) - but, then 1367 says no, so no real answer?

I think 1367 is controlling here. I think P would have to sue the TPD separately if the TPD would destroy diversity. Is that what you're asking?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby Grizz » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:12 pm

as stars burn wrote:Soooo...random question. All of my professors this year are fairly new and refuse to give out more than one practice exam. I'm taking both this week, sending them to my TAs to review, and then that'll be it. Should I try to take other professor's exams teaching the same class? I've looked at other exams and their structure is completely different than my professors' exams, and the material coverage tends to be different as well. Thoughts? Last semester I literately had unlimited practice exams (only took about 2 per class though).

P.S. This semester blows. 12 days until my first final of the semester, and 18 days until it is all over.


I wouldn't take other classes PT's if they are different. Profs. write the fact patterns to bring up the law they taught you, and if you didn't learn it they way they taught it, you might get frustrated. Maybe an exception for torts here because it's so fundamental and easy.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby snowpeach06 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:23 pm

romothesavior wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
rad law wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:So confused... help please! So, if we have diversity jurisdiction. Then D adds in a 3rd party D. And that 3rd party D sues the Plaintiff, then can the plaintiff then sue him? I know P is barred from suing the 3rd party D first, but doesn't that change if the 3rd party D sues the Plaintiff?


Depending on what jx you are in, P may be able to bring compulsory counterclaims. He can always sue in state court.

Is this this thing where there is no answer. Rule 14 allows this under 13(a) - but, then 1367 says no, so no real answer?

I think 1367 is controlling here. I think P would have to sue the TPD separately if the TPD would destroy diversity. Is that what you're asking?

Sort of. My teacher said something about, because it's a counterclaim than you can. I'm just going to write both things on my exam if it comes up I think.

As for PT's, only do them if they seem relevant to your class. Or, try to make them relevant, by perhaps only bringing up things you did, answering the way your teacher would want you to.

Omerta
Posts: 381
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby Omerta » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:08 pm

rad law wrote:
as stars burn wrote:Soooo...random question. All of my professors this year are fairly new and refuse to give out more than one practice exam. I'm taking both this week, sending them to my TAs to review, and then that'll be it. Should I try to take other professor's exams teaching the same class? I've looked at other exams and their structure is completely different than my professors' exams, and the material coverage tends to be different as well. Thoughts? Last semester I literately had unlimited practice exams (only took about 2 per class though).

P.S. This semester blows. 12 days until my first final of the semester, and 18 days until it is all over.


I wouldn't take other classes PT's if they are different. Profs. write the fact patterns to bring up the law they taught you, and if you didn't learn it they way they taught it, you might get frustrated. Maybe an exception for torts here because it's so fundamental and easy.


Disagree slightly. IMO it's only worth fully writing out exams you get from your professor, but outlining/issue spotting other exams is a good pre-exam day activity that isn't too draining.

User avatar
emorystud2010
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby emorystud2010 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:23 pm

Just pounded the entire Chemerinsky supplement (thru the 10 chapters that the course covered) from 11 am to now. Third time Ive done that this semester, but the first time in one sitting minus eating and restroom breaks. I feel like I'm on Conlaw steroids or something right now. Omg i am exhausted, but I think Im ready for the exam...hopefully.

User avatar
mbusch22
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby mbusch22 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:26 pm

emorystud2010 wrote:Just pounded the entire Chemerinsky supplement (thru the 10 chapters that the course covered) from 11 am to now. Third time Ive done that this semester, but the first time in one sitting minus eating and restroom breaks. Omg i am exhausted, but I think Im ready...hopefully.


Did that help solidify a lot of stuff? I'm planning on doing this next weekend. For some reason con law just doesn't stay with me. I've made flowcharts, outlines, mini outlines, and read chem. I just never feel comfortable enough with it. Maybe it's my aversion to politics.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby gwuorbust » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:28 pm

I feel like I'm ready for property. I say: Bring It!

watch me eat my words tomorrow around 5:15 when I log back into TLS

User avatar
emorystud2010
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby emorystud2010 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:29 pm

mbusch22 wrote:
emorystud2010 wrote:Just pounded the entire Chemerinsky supplement (thru the 10 chapters that the course covered) from 11 am to now. Third time Ive done that this semester, but the first time in one sitting minus eating and restroom breaks. Omg i am exhausted, but I think Im ready...hopefully.


Did that help solidify a lot of stuff? I'm planning on doing this next weekend. For some reason con law just doesn't stay with me. I've made flowcharts, outlines, mini outlines, and read chem. I just never feel comfortable enough with it. Maybe it's my aversion to politics.


It really did. I made my con law outline using a friend of mine's from last year and integrating all my notes into it, including the Chem stuff. I looked at it after my Crim final and I had no idea what I was looking at. After reading through the book and looking at my outline each time I hit a case, I feel very solid on everything. I'd highly recommend doing it, but I think a 2 day process would be better.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby Grizz » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:13 pm

Omerta wrote:
rad law wrote:
as stars burn wrote:Soooo...random question. All of my professors this year are fairly new and refuse to give out more than one practice exam. I'm taking both this week, sending them to my TAs to review, and then that'll be it. Should I try to take other professor's exams teaching the same class? I've looked at other exams and their structure is completely different than my professors' exams, and the material coverage tends to be different as well. Thoughts? Last semester I literately had unlimited practice exams (only took about 2 per class though).

P.S. This semester blows. 12 days until my first final of the semester, and 18 days until it is all over.


I wouldn't take other classes PT's if they are different. Profs. write the fact patterns to bring up the law they taught you, and if you didn't learn it they way they taught it, you might get frustrated. Maybe an exception for torts here because it's so fundamental and easy.


Disagree slightly. IMO it's only worth fully writing out exams you get from your professor, but outlining/issue spotting other exams is a good pre-exam day activity that isn't too draining.


As someone who balled out 1st semester, I'll defer to you. Also, your advice to me has been helpful, I think haha.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6045
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:47 pm

I hate Torts.

User avatar
Always Credited
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby Always Credited » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:51 pm

Tomorrow I will be halfway done with finals, and completely done by Friday afternoon whoooo

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby romothesavior » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:51 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:I hatemiss Torts.

FTFM

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:52 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:I hate miss Torts.


FTFM

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby traehekat » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:53 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:I hatemiss Torts.

FTFM

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby romothesavior » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:56 pm

traehekat wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:I hatemiss Torts.

FTFM

BTW, thanks for pointing out that LN crim outline to me. It has been golden.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:06 pm

How a decent portion of my day was spent:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15951/Crim%20Flowcharts.jpg

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:09 pm

Got a really easy Crim Pro hypo wrong today, all confidence is now lost :)

IthacaIsWet
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:56 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby IthacaIsWet » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:11 pm

traehekat wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:I hatemiss Torts.

FTFM

IthacaIsWet
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:56 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby IthacaIsWet » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:13 pm

Helmholtz wrote:How a decent portion of my day was spent:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15951/Crim%20Flowcharts.jpg


Shit, thanks for this.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], lymenheimer, mselbz and 11 guests