1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
snowpeach06

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:54 pm

15 days til' the end. Then like 4 days off and the write-on begins. Ohh, and in doing a sample exam, I see that the one outline I am actually allowed to bring into my exam is not up to par whatsoever. But, I'm thinking I'm gonna have to wait til' right before that exam to fix it, as civ pro is gonna require a lot of studying.

goosey

Postby goosey » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:15 pm

22 days til exams are done

writing ocmpetition is about a week later

outlinign future interests right now and panicking

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:32 pm

goosey wrote:22 days til exams are done

writing ocmpetition is about a week later

outlinign future interests right now and panicking

The Cali lessons are fantastic for understanding them, because that's what I'm doing now as well. Site is down right now, so they created a random new one.
--LinkRemoved--

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:02 am

crim law time, all day.

emorystud2010

Postby emorystud2010 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:16 am

What time is it? CRIM TIME! What time is it? CRIM TIME. All my felony murders in the house? WOO WOO WOO WOO!

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:00 am

emorystud2010 wrote:What time is it? CRIM TIME! What time is it? CRIM TIME. All my felony murders in the house? WOO WOO WOO WOO!

Made me laugh while in Crim pro review.

Jmdh

Postby Jmdh » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:07 am

Ok - Con Law outline is in pretty good shape. I think I have most of it done. The only part I am really struggling with is the Milligan/Quirin/Rasul/Hamdi/Hamdan/Boumediene cases. (Yes, all of them).

Apparently the best approach is to look at: who is a us citizen? What are the asking for? committed war crime?

Anyone have any ideas of how to organize this? I was thinking a flow chart? Something besides the textbook that might be helpful? Thanks!

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:12 am

Jmdh wrote:Ok - Con Law outline is in pretty good shape. I think I have most of it done. The only part I am really struggling with is the Milligan/Quirin/Rasul/Hamdi/Hamdan/Boumediene cases. (Yes, all of them).

Apparently the best approach is to look at: who is a us citizen? What are the asking for? committed war crime?

Anyone have any ideas of how to organize this? I was thinking a flow chart? Something besides the textbook that might be helpful? Thanks!

:shock: Haven't heard of any of those cases in my Con Law class....

FireNextTime

Postby FireNextTime » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:24 am

Jmdh wrote:Ok - Con Law outline is in pretty good shape. I think I have most of it done. The only part I am really struggling with is the Milligan/Quirin/Rasul/Hamdi/Hamdan/Boumediene cases. (Yes, all of them).

Here's what I have as the basic takeaways from those cases (leaving out Milligan b/c I forgot about it). Hope it's right.

Detention Enemy Combatants
• Congress must authorize military tribunals.
o Ex parte Quirin: Congress OK, CT happy.
o Hamdan: Congress didn’t, CT sad.

• Courts have habeas jxn re: forgnnat’ls captured abroad in connect hostilities. Rasul. (Eisentrager = no jxn. Gitmo different b/c ~US control)

• Citizens held must be able to challenge EnmyCombt status in court, regardless where caught. Hamdi.

• All, even non-cit, detainees should have some ability to challenge EC status. Boumediene.
o Should consider cit’ship & status of detainee, where picked up/kept and obstacles in resolving the writ q
o Tribunals to determine EC status may work, but as constituted at time in Boumediene, nope.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:31 am

Whether the person is -

1) A U.S. citizen or not
2) Arrested on a battlefield or on U.S. soil
3) In a time of crisis

Basically, if you're a U.S. citizen, the Court is going to be pretty strict about things. If you aren't, then the Court allows more leeway. Also, it depends on if there is a time of crisis and whether the President is acting with or without Congressional approval.

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:07 pm

Feeling good about all my courses except for Con Law.

Although this might be because I am worrying too much about what specific narrow issue our professor will test us on. This is because as our legal process/civ pro professor last semester, his final exam was focused solely on opportunity to be heard. There was nothing on Erie, personal jurisdiction or subject-matter jurisdiction.

However, I really don't think he will be pulling something like that for Con Law. I mean, we have Equal Protection, Substantive Due Process and Commerce Clause for him to play around with. If he seriously tests us on something obscure like power to tax (we talked about it in one class for 5 seconds) or Privilege and Immunity Clause, then I guess he wins.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:23 pm

Almost done with all outlines. Trying to finish one today, finish one tomorrow, and finish one Sunday, so I should be done by Sunday. I am way ahead of where I was last semester. In the fall I was scrambling to finish outlines like a day or two before each exam, but this semester I have three days to do PTs before my first exam, and I'll be able to use the time between each exam to do PTs. So I am feeling REALLY good about my finals.

Bring it.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:25 pm

I'm done with my Civ Pro outline and have actually had time to take two PTs so far...and had my professor look over one of them with me and give me feedback.

Struggling to finish my Crim law one. I've ignored Crim Law all semester. It seems like torts revisited except for with more policy...and some statutory interpretation mixed in. I'm more than half done, but it's getting boring.

Con Law is open-book take home. We have 8 hours to answer 4 hour-long questions. And we get to choose from 6 total. I'm contemplating not studying or outlining the last two weeks of class at all, and just omitting any questions I get on abortion. Also half-done with this outline.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:30 pm

I'm generating malice aforethought for when I meet the guy who invented those clickable highlighters (the ones that click like pens, except louder). If you're going to draw a highlighter rainbow on every page of your casebook, please do not use those in the library.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:39 pm

JCougar wrote:I'm generating malice aforethought for when I meet the guy who invented those clickable highlighters (the ones that click like pens, except louder). If you're going to draw a highlighter rainbow on every page of your casebook, please do not use those in the library.

This reminds me of the times I would tell normal people about how frustratingly loud some people wrote while I was doing my LSAT taking. Nobody understood.

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:00 pm

kalvano wrote:

Whether the person is -

1) A U.S. citizen or not
2) Arrested on a battlefield or on U.S. soil
3) In a time of crisis

Basically, if you're a U.S. citizen, the Court is going to be pretty strict about things. If you aren't, then the Court allows more leeway. Also, it depends on if there is a time of crisis and whether the President is acting with or without Congressional approval.

Here's how I think of these cases, FWIW. The executive can set up military tribunals and detain people, but cannot trample on other branches in doing so (think Youngstown). So the court has basically said that the president is always going to need authorization from Congress. (Hamdan)(detention in Quirin was also done w/ Congressional authority). Additionally, its generally going to need to allow detainees/those subject to military tribunals due process rights. Failure to provide the same usurps the power of the judiciary. (Hamdi).

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:14 pm

Can someone give me an example of a compelling government interest that would potentially satisfy strict scrutiny?

Just curious.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:20 pm

Charles Barkley wrote:Can someone give me an example of a compelling government interest that would potentially satisfy strict scrutiny?

Just curious.

National security typically does the trick.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:34 pm

Charles Barkley wrote:Can someone give me an example of a compelling government interest that would potentially satisfy strict scrutiny?

Just curious.

diversity in the affirmative action context (bakke, grutter)

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:31 pm

Good grief. My Property outline for the exam (not for class, but for the exam) is going to be 55+ pages. We've covered SO much in that class.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:51 pm

kalvano wrote:Good grief. My Property outline for the exam (not for class, but for the exam) is going to be 55+ pages. We've covered SO much in that class.

Agreed. Mine is down to 60 or so currently, hoping to streamline it some more.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:56 pm

fathergoose wrote:
kalvano wrote:Good grief. My Property outline for the exam (not for class, but for the exam) is going to be 55+ pages. We've covered SO much in that class.

Agreed. Mine is down to 60 or so currently, hoping to streamline it some more.

I talked to someone who said that his outline was 120 pages. My property outline is... 3 pages. This weekend will suck.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:57 pm

kalvano wrote:Good grief. My Property outline for the exam (not for class, but for the exam) is going to be 55+ pages. We've covered SO much in that class the last 2 weeks.

ftfy

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:33 am

Finals pretty much turn me into an emotionless robot. :|

td6624

Postby td6624 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:35 am

how are people's outlines longer than all of my notes for a class for an entire semester

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”