1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
IAFG

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby IAFG » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:20 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
IAFG wrote:i'm making sweet tender love to civpro right now.

funny, I'm teasing the heck out of contracts.

as long as its consensual for both parties

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:23 pm

IAFG wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
IAFG wrote:i'm making sweet tender love to civpro right now.

funny, I'm teasing the heck out of contracts.

as long as its consensual for both parties

Oh believe you me, there has been offer, acceptance and much consideration.
I always make sure all three of those are in place, before moving ahead.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:27 pm

blerg wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
Kretzy wrote:Dear Crim: Go fuck yourself.

Outlining defenses is the worst, I fucking loathe crim outlining.

however, it's actually starting to make sense now

I've been sitting on an otherwise done crim outline for a week and I haven't mustered the oomph to do defenses.

My defenses portion is turning into bit of a beast. 7 pages on justification defenses and I'm just starting to break into excuse defenses. With the clusterfuck that is insanity defenses, I'm predicting my finished defenses outline will be at least 15 pages.

rowlf

Postby rowlf » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:45 pm

beach_terror wrote:
rowlf wrote:To what extent is everyone incorporating rules/reasoning from dissents in their outlines? I'm not doing that much of this. Should I be? Thanks.

Depends on the class, case and topic. I find civ pro/crim dissents particularly useful for counterarguments. I don't pay much attention to torts dissents, and to be fair, the tort cases themselves. The E&E should be my fucking torts teacher.

Thanks!

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:49 pm

rowlf wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
rowlf wrote:To what extent is everyone incorporating rules/reasoning from dissents in their outlines? I'm not doing that much of this. Should I be? Thanks.

Depends on the class, case and topic. I find civ pro/crim dissents particularly useful for counterarguments. I don't pay much attention to torts dissents, and to be fair, the tort cases themselves. The E&E should be my fucking torts teacher.

Thanks!

I second using dissents for insightful counterarguments for Civ Pro. I haven't found too many for crim that I think I would use.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:58 pm

HGL: Need anything from 711?
IAFG: Do they have cyanide?
HGL: I bought lots of chocolate.
IAFG: GIMME.
HGL: I got cigarettes.
IAFG: WANT.
HGL: Want some vitamins?
IAFG: *blank stare*

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:02 pm

I'm fucked, My contracts exam is 6 hours closed book (not take home) WTF!?! I don't even know...

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:03 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:HGL: Need anything from 711?
IAFG: Do they have cyanide?
HGL: I bought lots of chocolate.
IAFG: GIMME.
HGL: I got cigarettes.
IAFG: WANT.
HGL: Want some vitamins?
IAFG: is that code for adderall?
HGL: B-6 give you energy!

IAFG: *blank stare*

ftfy

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:10 pm

As I am going through and outlining and prepping for exams, I feel a little better. For instance, I sat down for Contracts to make a nice outline, and I realized as I was doing it that I already knew all the main points. I knew what Home Office Approval Clause was, or the Mailbox Rule. So I just started making a checklist instead. It doesn't give details, but just reminds me to look for things.

I don't know if that's good or bad, but it seems good to me.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:12 pm

kalvano wrote:As I am going through and outlining and prepping for exams, I feel a little better. For instance, I sat down for Contracts to make a nice outline, and I realized as I was doing it that I already knew all the main points. I knew what Home Office Approval Clause was, or the Mailbox Rule. So I just started making a checklist instead. It doesn't give details, but just reminds me to look for things.

Shut it with your sharing of personal victories. We're all supposed to be bitter, stressed, and wondering why we ever came to lawl school.

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:16 pm

kalvano wrote:As I am going through and outlining and prepping for exams, I feel a little better. For instance, I sat down for Contracts to make a nice outline, and I realized as I was doing it that I already knew all the main points. I knew what Home Office Approval Clause was, or the Mailbox Rule. So I just started making a checklist instead. It doesn't give details, but just reminds me to look for things.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:17 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:

Shut it with your sharing of personal victories. We're all supposed to be bitter, stressed, and wondering why we ever came to lawl school.

Well, like I said. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. I feel like I must be missing something, but as I go through old exams and answers, I haven't found much yet.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:19 pm

robin600 wrote:I'm fucked, My contracts exam is 6 hours closed book (not take home) WTF!?! I don't even know...

:shock:

Postby 09042014 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:19 pm

Shit I slept til 3pm today.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:23 pm

How often am I allowed to go outside for smoke breaks?

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:36 pm

Thirteen wrote:
robin600 wrote:I'm fucked, My contracts exam is 6 hours closed book (not take home) WTF!?! I don't even know...

:shock:

i hear that, and all i can see in my head is just an absolute beast, a fucking monster of a fact pattern. i'd probably have a better grade on something like that than the typical open book issue spotter, but the stress would be enormous.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:44 pm

kalvano wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

Well, like I said. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. I feel like I must be missing something, but as I go through old exams and answers, I haven't found much yet.

I guess you'll find out when you start taking practice exams? If you're able to discuss the issues w/o feeling like you're missing important concepts, then you're good.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:01 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

I guess you'll find out when you start taking practice exams? If you're able to discuss the issues w/o feeling like you're missing important concepts, then you're good.

That's where I am pulling stuff to put on my list from. As we go over practice exams, I am noting certain things, like is it an advertisement? Solicited or unsolicited?

Things like that, which then get added. Our prof made a big book of all his past exams, most with answers, and has been going over them in review sessions.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:16 pm

A 6 hr K's exam? So different from what I'm in for. My professor puts out like 10 short answer questions each with a 100 word limit. It is not about time pressure at all. He told us that he is giving us WAY more time than we will need to actually come up with answers. So he wants us to use the additional time to cut the wordiness down to meet the strict 100-word limits on each question. That makes it so we can't just throw the kitchen sink at the exam and spit out everything we know. It needs to be the exact right arguments and it must be concise. My first thought was "oh wow, no time pressure! This will make it so much easier." But I realize that the lack of time crunch will be more than offset with increased difficulty, if past exams are any indication.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:34 pm

dakatz wrote:A 6 hr K's exam? So different from what I'm in for. My professor puts out like 10 short answer questions each with a 100 word limit. It is not about time pressure at all. He told us that he is giving us WAY more time than we will need to actually come up with answers. So he wants us to use the additional time to cut the wordiness down to meet the strict 100-word limits on each question. That makes it so we can't just throw the kitchen sink at the exam and spit out everything we know. It needs to be the exact right arguments and it must be concise. My first thought was "oh wow, no time pressure! This will make it so much easier." But I realize that the lack of time crunch will be more than offset with increased difficulty, if past exams are any indication.

:evil:
It's def. going to be more than one question, I think two questions probably, either way I'm scared shitless! Ks is my worst subject because the prof I have is super old school, and super old school doesn't work for me...like writing every Issue sentence as an issue statement an appellate court would write...grrr. The man's brilliant I just don't learn that way! I'm praying it's a SOF question so I can just analyze the shit out of it.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:16 am

I'm going to flunk out of law school.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:28 am

Holly Golightly wrote:I'm going to flunk out of law school.

LOL t13's are too smart for that. They just pass you along collecting money.

Then when you go to get your PI job people are all like LOL 2.9 from Northwestern U TARD'D?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:35 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:I'm going to flunk out of law school.

LOL t13's are too smart for that. They just pass you along collecting money.

Then when you go to get your PI job people are all like LOL 2.9 from Northwestern U TARD'D?

By "flunk out," I mean drop out after I get straight Cs, go back to my old job, and pay off my 1st semester loans over the next 30 years.

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:53 am

5 practice exams in the last 24 hours. Will be going on 60oz of red bull by lunch today.

I. Love. Law. School.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:40 am

Dilemma: FC Barcelona and Real Madrid play at 2:55 today. Biggest game of the year for me.

I have a crim class 2:40-3:50 and then a Civ Pro review session from 4-5:30. Fuck.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”