1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mths

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby mths » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:56 pm

remember to relax

--LinkRemoved--

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:58 pm

There is some girl frantically sobbing somewhere in the library now. I cant see her or where she is but she is somewhere behind the stacks and I can hear her pretty clearly. What does this mean? It means that finals are upon us folks!

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:00 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I hate civ pro FRCP but loved Civ Pro Jurisdiction. The more I am here the more I realize it really has a lot more to do with the quality of your professor than most give credence to.

My professor is outstanding but I hate the FRCP.

Jurisdiction though, man I liked that.

I'm just dreading Property; I feel it's like the grotesque lovechild of K's and Torts after promnight

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:02 pm

mths wrote:remember to relax

--LinkRemoved--

SCREW YOU BUT THANK YOU!

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:05 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:There is some girl frantically sobbing somewhere in the library now. I cant see her or where she is but she is somewhere behind the stacks and I can hear her pretty clearly. What does this mean? It means that finals are upon us folks!

THE MORE THAT FALL, THE BETTER.

ONWARD.

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:56 pm

I just booked my honeymoon tickets to the maldives. I AM SO EXCITED!!

::totally ignoring that finals come before the maldives::

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:43 pm

goosey wrote:I just booked my honeymoon tickets to the maldives. I AM SO EXCITED!!

honeymoon? MARRIAGE?! Congrashulashions!!

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:55 pm

--LinkRemoved--

I'm still playing with this.

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:14 pm

Always Credited wrote:
goosey wrote:I just booked my honeymoon tickets to the maldives. I AM SO EXCITED!!

thanks. its very distracting though...I have weddingitis this semester. And for all the "I dont have much to plan" ideals I had....I wasted an AWFUL lot of time on wedding prep so far. but thankfully most of it is done now..just in time for finals! the rest can wait until after finals.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:29 pm

goosey wrote:
Always Credited wrote:

thanks. its very distracting though...I have weddingitis this semester. And for all the "I dont have much to plan" ideals I had....I wasted an AWFUL lot of time on wedding prep so far. but thankfully most of it is done now..just in time for finals! the rest can wait until after finals.

Marriage > lawschool. Always.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Thirteen wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

I'm still playing with this.

I was playing with that and it crashed my computer.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:40 pm

In property the our final is always divided:

40% estates
40% zoning/covenants/easements/nuisance
20% public policy of eminent domain

while I think I'm getting a good handle on the last 60%, estates are still killing me. I always seem to get something mixed up. It is sucking the life right out of me.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:47 pm

gwuorbust wrote:In property the our final is always divided:

40% estates

while I think I'm getting a good handle on the last 60%, estates are still killing me. I always seem to get something mixed up. It is sucking the life right out of me.

Fuck I love estates in land.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:51 pm

What the fuck is interpleader? Is it just like, if the bank is holding a disputed property, and me and my roomie are fighting over it, they would make us both join the suit so that different courts don't come to different conclusions?

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:50 am

snowpeach06 wrote:What the fuck is interpleader? Is it just like, if the bank is holding a disputed property, and me and my roomie are fighting over it, they would make us both join the suit so that different courts don't come to different conclusions?

Last semester has been flushed outta my skull already.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:20 am

snowpeach06 wrote:What the fuck is interpleader? Is it just like, if the bank is holding a disputed property, and me and my roomie are fighting over it, they would make us both join the suit so that different courts don't come to different conclusions?

Interpleader is basically when a third party who has money (lets say in escrow) needs to know who the hell to give the money to but both parties can't come to any agreement so he makes them go to court to duke it out. Happens in real estate sales a lot. Our prof said some student confused interpleader with impleader on her final and lost major points, dont do that!

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:27 am

Always Credited wrote:

Last semester has been flushed outta my skull already.

So true. I still kind of remember Civil Procedure, but not Torts or Crim. I would also probably fail the legal research pass/fail test too, lol

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:32 am

BarbellDreams wrote:

Interpleader is basically when a third party who has money (lets say in escrow) needs to know who the hell to give the money to but both parties can't come to any agreement so he makes them go to court to duke it out. Happens in real estate sales a lot. Our prof said some student confused interpleader with impleader on her final and lost major points, dont do that!

Still don't 100% get it, but that helps. Thanks.

Also... so likely to do that. haha.

maf70

Postby maf70 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:44 am

From my outline...

I. Interpleader: Provides a procedure by which a stakeholder- often a bank or insurer- can require the competing claimants to litigate their rights to some common fund or property in question. Avoids multiple litigation and liability.
o Ex. Insurance company is the stakeholder and names all four wives of some mormon guy who dies as the Ds
 The insurance company is asking the court to decide who is the right wife (who gets the policy award)
 Insurance company's problem is solved b/c the other wives were parties to the claim and are bound by the judgment
o Two Kinds: Rule 22 and Statutory

Hope it helps.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:24 am

My professor is explaining strict liability and has completely fucked it up. I'm super pissed right now.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:44 am

40% estates

Check out "Estates in Lan and future Interests by Linda H. Edwards.
only ~200 pages (quick read) but makes estates/future interests incredible straightforward. I knew nothing about future interests until that book.. Can be had for ~$10 on Amazon.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:54 am

maf70 wrote:From my outline...

I. Interpleader: Provides a procedure by which a stakeholder- often a bank or insurer- can require the competing claimants to litigate their rights to some common fund or property in question. Avoids multiple litigation and liability.
o Ex. Insurance company is the stakeholder and names all four wives of some mormon guy who dies as the Ds
 The insurance company is asking the court to decide who is the right wife (who gets the policy award)
 Insurance company's problem is solved b/c the other wives were parties to the claim and are bound by the judgment
o Two Kinds: Rule 22 and Statutory

Hope it helps.

Ahh. Thanks.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:35 am

pleasetryagain wrote:

40% estates

only ~200 pages (quick read) but makes estates/future interests incredible straightforward. I knew nothing about future interests until that book.. Can be had for ~$10 on Amazon.

TLS, Help me decide:

Gilbert's Property? or
Estates in Land and Future Interests by Linda H. Edwards

I'm going to get overnight shipping so tis going to be costly either way. whatever though, INEEDTOKEEPMYSCHOLARSHIP.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:44 am

gwuorbust wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:

40% estates

TLS, Help me decide:

Gilbert's Property? or

I'm going to get overnight shipping so tis going to be costly either way. whatever though, INEEDTOKEEPMYSCHOLARSHIP.

I went with Emanuel's, and it let me go beastmode on outlining. Really, it taught me present estates and future interests basically from scratch.

Edit to answer: I'd go Gilly's, man. Property is all about getting the big picture and applying big doctrines from that big picture to little facts. Nothing helps you get that more than a BLL summary outline. So really, if your scholly hangs in the balance I'd beg you to get Emanuel's Crunchtime. Its crucial. Read 70 pages, understand property.
Last edited by Always Credited on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:47 am

Always Credited wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:

40% estates

TLS, Help me decide:

Gilbert's Property? or

I went with Emanuel's, and it let me go beastmode on outlining. Really, it taught me present estates and future interests basically from scratch.

Kind of happy my textbook has everything explained super well. The 2L outline I have for it is fucking killer too. That + my textbook should = gg. We're not going over anything particularly malleable though.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”