1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
stratocophic

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby stratocophic » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:06 am

traehekat wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
Eco wrote:Definitely more relaxed heading into these finals. Got my outlining done earlier and I generally know what to expect. Hopefully will keep my grades at same level at least, or maybe push them higher? Who knows...don't really care that much. I find that not caring about grades while doing the finals works for me. I just want to know the law and do the best I can on the exams.

I feel more screwed this semester than last. I've generally been lazyier, and my one class I'm lost in isn't a class where I can just buy a supplement and learn shit. Plus, civ pro is so straightforward, that everyone will do well. Con law is a jumble, and I have an extra class.

+1 to all of this.
The second semester 1Ls THEY DO NOTHING

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:07 am

Somehow still feel overwhelmed. I have a paper due for my elective in a few weeks, then that class is over. After that, finals start. Since my elective is a paper class, I only have 3... and my conlaw outline is already basically done. But still... overwhelmed.

stayway

Postby stayway » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:08 am

beach_terror wrote:Somehow still feel overwhelmed. I have a paper due for my elective in a few weeks, then that class is over. After that, finals start. Since my elective is a paper class, I only have 3... and my conlaw outline is already basically done. But still... overwhelmed.

Stay calm, brah. We'll be OK.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:09 am

nooyyllib wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Somehow still feel overwhelmed. I have a paper due for my elective in a few weeks, then that class is over. After that, finals start. Since my elective is a paper class, I only have 3... and my conlaw outline is already basically done. But still... overwhelmed.

Stay calm, brah. We'll be OK.

Yeah, thank god I didn't bother with that RegState shit :lol: . Easy elective A ftw (I hope)

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:09 am

Holly Golightly wrote:Crackdown starts tomorrow. No more excuses. :(

+1. Sad but necessary. I feel a lot less prepared and motivated than I did last semester.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:11 am

I honestly think the majority of people came into 1st semester with this drive/fire under them and gave it all they got and winter break wasn't enough to kill off the burnout, especially with summer applications/cover letters. I really need to do well, but there is no way in hell I am getting what I got last semester this time around. I truly felt way more prepared and felt like I knew the material much better during Fall semester.

stayway

Postby stayway » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:15 am

BarbellDreams wrote:I honestly think the majority of people came into 1st semester with this drive/fire under them and gave it all they got and winter break wasn't enough to kill off the burnout, especially with summer applications/cover letters. I really need to do well, but there is no way in hell I am getting what I got last semester this time around. I truly felt way more prepared and felt like I knew the material much better during Fall semester.

I'm not really burnt out but it was the brief and then the job search/interview process that destroyed my mindset of "I should really read for class" and "I should try to outline as I go."

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:17 am

I had a bunch of half-outlines at this point in time last year because all of my classes had midterms. None of mine do this semester so I have done nothing to get ready for them.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:17 am

D-hops wrote:

+1. Sad but necessary. I feel a lot less prepared and motivated than I did last semester.

I feel the same way. My first final is in 16 days, and I still don't feel like busting my ass to prep for finals.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:20 am

BarbellDreams wrote:I honestly think the majority of people came into 1st semester with this drive/fire under them and gave it all they got and winter break wasn't enough to kill off the burnout, especially with summer applications/cover letters. I really need to do well, but there is no way in hell I am getting what I got last semester this time around. I truly felt way more prepared and felt like I knew the material much better during Fall semester.

Everyone feels this way. This final month is going to be wildly disproportionate in terms of importance like it was before. If I don't make a few silly mistakes on my exams again :evil:, I should be able to grade onto LR. Property is simple. Ks is a hide the ball class, but the material isn't intrinsically difficult. ConLaw will be interesting, but it's only 3 credits and I have a good idea of how to make my attack outlines for that class (flowcharts ftw).

Cherith Cutestory

Postby Cherith Cutestory » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:23 am

By the end of my first year, I'll have taken three word-limited exams and four take home exams.

Sort of glad I never spent studying time upping my WPM.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:53 am

traehekat wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
Eco wrote:Definitely more relaxed heading into these finals. Got my outlining done earlier and I generally know what to expect. Hopefully will keep my grades at same level at least, or maybe push them higher? Who knows...don't really care that much. I find that not caring about grades while doing the finals works for me. I just want to know the law and do the best I can on the exams.

I feel more screwed this semester than last. I've generally been lazyier, and my one class I'm lost in isn't a class where I can just buy a supplement and learn shit. Plus, civ pro is so straightforward, that everyone will do well. Con law is a jumble, and I have an extra class.

+1 to all of this.

Having a1L summer job that can turn into permanent post-grad employment should I so choose takes a lot of the stress (a lot of the fun?) out of finals.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:00 pm

Always Credited wrote:
traehekat wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:

+1 to all of this.

Having a1L summer job that can turn into permanent post-grad employment should I so choose takes a lot of the stress (a lot of the fun?) out of finals.

So jealous. I was one person away from that type of 1L summer job too :(

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:13 pm

Its a cool safety net, but its also taken away all motivation to ever learn anything unrelated to criminal law. So...not fired up whatsoever for this round of finals. Hopefully people's annoying questions at the upcoming review sessions are enough to kickstart me into wanting to do well just so gunners can't get the As.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:35 pm

thank god freer covers class actions, glannon guide and e&e missing it.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:38 pm

traehekat wrote:thank god freer covers class actions, glannon guide and e&e missing it.

Damn looks like I gotta get Freer because my prof loves this stuff but doesn't explain it well.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:39 pm

Always Credited wrote:Its a cool safety net, but its also taken away all motivation to ever learn anything unrelated to criminal law. So...not fired up whatsoever for this round of finals. Hopefully people's annoying questions at the upcoming review sessions are enough to kickstart me into wanting to do well just so gunners can't get the As.

Yeah I hear that. My motivation right now is the opposite of yours. I was a split hair away from a 120k midlaw job. Kill it this summer man. Job security ftw.

Onion

Postby Onion » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:44 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Onion wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Taking the night off. Bummed out for some reason, law school has been getting to me recently.

Slacker! (I have taken off the last two nights.)

I wanted to go out so bad last night, but nobody was feeling it. Did your crew go out on Fri/Sat? Bastards.

Just went for dinner and some drinks on Friday, and had to run home sat.

mths

Postby mths » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:04 pm

Haven't you been sleeping in the library?

stayway

Postby stayway » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:09 pm

I feel my outlining is so behind. Scared as hell right now.

Onion

Postby Onion » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:26 pm

nooyyllib wrote:I feel my outlining is so behind. Scared as hell right now.

Feeling the same way. And on top of being behing, I am dumb so I am really screwed.

stayway

Postby stayway » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Onion wrote:

Feeling the same way. And on top of being behing, I am dumb so I am really screwed.

I'm the dumbest one

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Onion wrote:

Proof.

Nah but for real, I'm dumb too.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:34 pm

We may be collectively dumb, but at least we aren't at this level of re-re

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:38 pm

Always Credited wrote:We may be collectively dumb, but at least we aren't at this level of re-re

I thought that was a joke. Then I found this. How is this possible?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”