1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
beach_terror

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby beach_terror » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:39 pm

Skipping Ks to outline property and do some laundry. My teachers are so god damn bad this semester that I don't miss anything by skipping class.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:17 pm

beach_terror wrote:Skipping Ks to outline property and do some laundry. My teachers are so god damn bad this semester that I don't miss anything by skipping class.

yeah i've been doing the same more recently. fact is my time is better spent outlining or doing other things than sitting in class, messing around facebook/TLS, and occasionally taking a couple notes on something the professor says.

edit: finally reading freer, definitely helping to cement everything, at least regarding personal jurisdiction. thanks to everyone who suggested it.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:19 pm

traehekat wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Skipping Ks to outline property and do some laundry. My teachers are so god damn bad this semester that I don't miss anything by skipping class.

yeah i've been doing the same more recently. fact is my time is better spent outlining or doing other things than sitting in class, messing around facebook/TLS, and occasionally taking a couple notes on something the professor says.

edit: finally reading freer, definitely helping to cement everything, at least regarding personal jurisdiction. thanks to everyone who suggested it.

Freer for President, mang.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:22 am

aight, goal for today is to basically outline the whole erie, hanna, byrd, etc. thing. pray for me.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:07 pm

traehekat wrote:aight, goal for today is to basically outline the whole erie, hanna, byrd, etc. thing. pray for me.

If that's all you're doing for Erie, I boiled it all down to this... which was on my attack outline. I got bonus points on my Choice of Law analysis on the actual civ pro exam IIRC (12/10).

Final Test
a. 1) likelihood that applying federal law will affect the outcome of the case
i. Guaranty Trust quote above (same ideas as (2) of twin aims)
ii.1) discouragement of forum shopping and 2) avoidance of inequitable administration of the laws
b. Federal interest in applying its rule
c. State’s interest in applying its rule

Hanna’s rule on FRCP
a. Is a FRCP on point? No (state law) – Yes (apply Sibbach does it really regulate procedure?) Yes (apply
FRCP, No apply state rule).
b. Make sure to analyze broad readings (Shady Grove, Burlington) and narrow readings (Ragan, Walker)
i. Policy: broad preserves the rules, continuous narrow readings would doom them

I can send you the whole attack outline if you want.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:07 pm

traehekat wrote:aight, goal for today is to basically outline the whole erie, hanna, byrd, etc. thing. pray for me.

If that's all you're doing for Erie, I boiled it all down to this... which was on my attack outline. I got bonus points on my Choice of Law analysis on the actual civ pro exam IIRC (12/10).

Final Test
ii.1) discouragement of forum shopping and 2) avoidance of inequitable administration of the laws

Hanna’s rule on FRCP
a. Is a FRCP on point? No (state law) – Yes (apply Sibbach does it really regulate procedure?) Yes (apply
b. Make sure to analyze broad readings (Shady Grove, Burlington) and narrow readings (Ragan, Walker)
i. Policy: broad preserves the rules, continuous narrow readings would doom them

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:30 pm

beach_terror wrote:

Final Test

Hanna’s rule on FRCP

nice. yeah nothing in our casebook about those 4 cases under hanna. if you dont mind sending the whole thing i'd love to take a look.

traehekat@gmail.com

thnx!

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:45 pm

traehekat wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

Final Test

Hanna’s rule on FRCP

nice. yeah nothing in our casebook about those 4 cases under hanna. if you dont mind sending the whole thing i'd love to take a look.

thnx!

This looks good. Would you mind sharing with me, beach? I can PM with my e-mail.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:47 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
traehekat wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

Final Test

Hanna’s rule on FRCP

thnx!

This looks good. Would you mind sharing with me, beach? I can PM with my e-mail.

Sure, PM me your email.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:57 pm

I understand that it's the key to getting the issues and writing down, but I cannot quite articulate just how much I dislike taking practice tests.

mbusch22

Postby mbusch22 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:39 pm

YourCaptain wrote:I understand that it's the key to getting the issues and writing down, but I cannot quite articulate just how much I dislike taking practice tests.

Do you actually write (type) out whole answers when you do it? I just draw rough outlines of my answers, in a back-and-forth argument kind of form. (sort of like a LEEWS ugly but effective format).

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:41 pm

mbusch22 wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:I understand that it's the key to getting the issues and writing down, but I cannot quite articulate just how much I dislike taking practice tests.

Do you actually write (type) out whole answers when you do it? I just draw rough outlines of my answers, in a back-and-forth argument kind of form. (sort of like a LEEWS ugly but effective format).

same.

quiver

Postby quiver » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:44 pm

Absolutely agreed. Getting the motivation to actually sit down and do them is definitely the worst part.

I think the key is to go with the mentality of: "you can do it wrong a thousand times but you only have to get it right once". That helped me last semester when I bombed a few practice tests. I'm giving myself an A+ for mental justification of poor performance.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:49 pm

mbusch22 wrote:

I type full answers to make sure my writing and organization is effective.

Right now I'm in "burn out" mode and am taking the night off. Overworked myself last weekend/this week and, in retrospect, it was just not a good idea. However, since I overworked myself I have very little reading to do and my outlines are in decent shape, so at least I can "afford" it.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:52 pm

mbusch22 wrote:

I type it out; the point of it is beyond getting out the issues for me. The 4-hour simulation gets me accustomed to the environment. Also, as I write out the answers, I definitely come up with more nuances and points that I wouldn't see just outlining my arguments.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:52 pm

god i hate civ pro so much.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:54 pm

I hate all of my classes. Seriously. ALL of them. Even the one I love, I still hate.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:35 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:I hate all of my classes. Seriously. ALL of them. Even the one I love, I still hate.

This.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:54 pm

currently treating myself to a $3.45 piece of cheesecake. shit is delicious, but i'm gunna feel bad about the $3.45 when i devour it in 30 seconds.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:14 pm

traehekat wrote:currently treating myself to a $3.45 piece of cheesecake. shit is delicious, but i'm gunna feel bad about the $3.45 when i devour it in 30 seconds.

Better solution. Cake batter = $1.00, Frosting = $1.50. $2.50 gets you 25x as much food. It will all get you fat, but whatever :lol:.

Then again, I went out to dinner like I was still working last night... but it made me happy so screw the $$ at this point.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:51 pm

Taking the night off. Bummed out for some reason, law school has been getting to me recently.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:04 am

beach_terror wrote:Taking the night off. Bummed out for some reason, law school has been getting to me recently.

Chin up, tomorrow is a new day. Everyone needs some time every now and then to just chill and recharge the battery. Thanks again for the civ pro stuff.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:08 am

beach_terror wrote:Taking the night off. Bummed out for some reason, law school has been getting to me recently.

yeah I felt the same so I bought crysis 2 and have been glued tot he computer for 12 hours!

goosey

Postby goosey » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:36 am

making some progress on my K's outline. wooohooo

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:20 pm

alright... on to joinder. gunna work for 3 more hours then break for late lunch and miami/boston at 2:30. i feel good that i am making headway on my civ pro outline, but then i remember that i haven't done any actual reading for class in like 2 weeks.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”