1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:52 pm

minuit wrote:hello 1Ls... quick question. I will be starting this fall, and both schools I may go to (FSU or GW) have exam weeks going through December 16. How many people actually have exams on Friday?? I ask because my best friend just got engaged and asked me to be her maid of honor, and she set the date for December 17 without checking with my schedule. It's a destination wedding, too. So really just wondering how common it is to have exams on the last day... I am sort of sick to my stomach at the moment.

Book a flight 4 hours after the exam ends. Plenty of people did that at my school.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:58 pm

minuit wrote:hello 1Ls... quick question. I will be starting this fall, and both schools I may go to (FSU or GW) have exam weeks going through December 16. How many people actually have exams on Friday?? I ask because my best friend just got engaged and asked me to be her maid of honor, and she set the date for December 17 without checking with my schedule. It's a destination wedding, too. So really just wondering how common it is to have exams on the last day... I am sort of sick to my stomach at the moment.

I always have an exam on the last day. It's not uncommon at all. Even so, if you book a flight for Friday evening, you can still make it for the ceremony on Saturday. Unless the destination has a dramatic time change.

minuit

Postby minuit » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:00 pm

beach_terror wrote:

This isn't the place to ask this, but exams can be any day of the week. Friday, Saturday, etc., are all game. If you have more questions, PM someone or start a thread in the lounge. This place is only for self-loathing.

Yeah... I know it's not exactly the place, but I really didn't think it deserved its own thread, and this is probably where a lot of 1Ls congregate, so I figured you all would know best. Thanks though!

snowpeach06 wrote:I always have an exam on the last day. It's not uncommon at all. Even so, if you book a flight for Friday evening, you can still make it for the ceremony on Saturday. Unless the destination has a dramatic time change.

The biggest problem is missing the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner on Friday... I'm going to have to talk to her about what her expectations are. But thanks for answering my question - I will go ahead and plan on having an exam the last day! I don't want her to bank on me not having one.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:34 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:

I always have an exam on the last day. It's not uncommon at all. Even so, if you book a flight for Friday evening, you can still make it for the ceremony on Saturday. Unless the destination has a dramatic time change.

+1

I think my school intentionally schedules 1L finals in an effort to spread them out. Meaning there's one on the first day, as well as one on the last day of exam period.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:43 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:

+1

I think my school intentionally schedules 1L finals in an effort to spread them out. Meaning there's one on the first day, as well as one on the last day of exam period.

+1. my school does a great job of spreading it all out and for 1L core classes all the exams begin at 1pm, so nothing really early in the morning.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:10 pm

traehekat wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:

+1

+1. my school does a great job of spreading it all out and for 1L core classes all the exams begin at 1pm, so nothing really early in the morning.

So jealous!!! My grades are definitely correlated with the time of my tests :( two of my tests are at 10am this semester :cry:

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:49 pm

swc65 wrote:

So jealous!!! My grades are definitely correlated with the time of my tests :( two of my tests are at 10am this semester :cry:

10am? We get 8 AM's. Although, I actually prefer them. Me and my friends have a buddy system going for making sure that we all wake up - we go eat a leisurely breakfast, and by lunch, we're free to take some time off and relax before we have to start studying again. This semester though, I think most of my exams are in the afternoon, which means, I'll spend the morning worrying and last minute studying that will be ineffective. I think my brain is better in the morning too. And, there are only 2 or 3 days inbetween each exam. Better than no days in between. But, I had like 4-5 days inbetween last semester.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:06 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
swc65 wrote:

10am? We get 8 AM's. Although, I actually prefer them. Me and my friends have a buddy system going for making sure that we all wake up - we go eat a leisurely breakfast, and by lunch, we're free to take some time off and relax before we have to start studying again. This semester though, I think most of my exams are in the afternoon, which means, I'll spend the morning worrying and last minute studying that will be ineffective. I think my brain is better in the morning too. And, there are only 2 or 3 days inbetween each exam. Better than no days in between. But, I had like 4-5 days inbetween last semester.

8AM??? /self! I am useless in the mornings. I am so much better at this stuff in the afternoons. The exams that I had that were in the after noons were a couple grades above the exams I had in the morning! Partly because I was half asleep.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:49 pm

My microsoft word keeps crashing. Luckily I'm a compulsive saver - like, every time I type a sentence. But this is annoying as fuck.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Looking for something with which to practice non-multiple choice application of crimlaw. Think E&E's without the suckitude that is the Crim E&E.

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:08 pm

Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

mbusch22

Postby mbusch22 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:12 pm

mistergoft wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Looking for something with which to practice non-multiple choice application of crimlaw. Think E&E's without the suckitude that is the Crim E&E.

Crunchtime has some DECENT essay questions. Look over the Emmanuels I think it has about five essays. I would spend most of your time going over your professor's exams, though.

its annoying when your professors (like most of mine) don't make old exams available, though.

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:13 pm

j
Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:27 pm

mbusch22 wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Looking for something with which to practice non-multiple choice application of crimlaw. Think E&E's without the suckitude that is the Crim E&E.

Crunchtime has some DECENT essay questions. Look over the Emmanuels I think it has about five essays. I would spend most of your time going over your professor's exams, though.

its annoying when your professors (like most of mine) don't make old exams available, though.

This. Especially when you're taking kind of weird classes like my electives. And have conlaw profs who babble about nothing related to anything. :|

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:29 pm

mistergoft wrote:

Yeah, that's what I would be doing, but she's a new prof, has only taught the class one other time, and she used every portion of the one crim exam she has done as in-class hypos.

Will try your suggestion, though. Looked around last night for other crim exams from a Dressler-casebook class, but didn't run across anything very useful within my very limited search. She likes to cherry pick parts of the book (e.g. "read this case, but none of the notes; read notes 3 and 5 following this case, but don't read the case; read pages 125-7, 524, 527, and 396-404 for class tomorrow), so that puts another layer of difficult on it I think.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:36 pm

mbusch22 wrote:
mistergoft wrote:

It's even more annoying when you throw away the practice exam packet, then find out that it has exam problems from the spring. 5 extra bucks down the drain.

mths

Postby mths » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:36 pm

swc65 wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
swc65 wrote:

8AM??? /self! I am useless in the mornings. I am so much better at this stuff in the afternoons. The exams that I had that were in the after noons were a couple grades above the exams I had in the morning! Partly because I was half asleep.

we had 8am ones too

I'd much rather that than an afternoon exam

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:43 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
mistergoft wrote:

Yeah, that's what I would be doing, but she's a new prof, has only taught the class one other time, and she used every portion of the one crim exam she has done as in-class hypos.

Will try your suggestion, though. Looked around last night for other crim exams from a Dressler-casebook class, but didn't run across anything very useful within my very limited search. She likes to cherry pick parts of the book (e.g. "read this case, but none of the notes; read notes 3 and 5 following this case, but don't read the case; read pages 125-7, 524, 527, and 396-404 for class tomorrow), so that puts another layer of difficult on it I think.

i used the black letter outline in crim that low writes, and that one had a few essay questions w/ answers. dressler writes one too, and i have to guess there are a few essay question/answers in there as well. http://www.amazon.com/Criminal-Law-Blac ... 0314152334

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:47 pm

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:55 pm

dailygrind wrote:i used the black letter outline in crim that low writes, and that one had a few essay questions w/ answers. dressler writes one too, and i have to guess there are a few essay question/answers in there as well. http://www.amazon.com/Criminal-Law-Blac ... 0314152334

I have the Dressler BLL Outline. It only has two actual essay questions in it, while the rest of the review questions are stuff like, "If Albert intentionally kills Bob, what does intentionally mean in this context?". Helpful, but not outstanding.

mistergoft wrote:So, my prof was a new prof as well, first semester of law school, had no idea what to do.

My recommendation: TRY to find some crim law exams, especially ones that relate to your prof's teaching style. I read LaFave, Dressler and every other supplement. Just make sure you know the material front/back, you'll do alright.

This will be my plan. Thanks!

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:04 pm

[

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:57 pm

God, I miss last semester. I would gladly swap conlaw for civpro, property for crim, etc. etc.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:28 am

Holly Golightly wrote:God, I miss last semester. I would gladly swap conlaw for civpro, property for crim, etc. etc.

so-signed. Con Law is absolute torture. My exam will be fail-tastic in this class.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:41 am

Holly Golightly wrote:God, I miss last semester. I would gladly swap conlaw for civpro, property for crim, etc. etc.

property is the spawn of the devil

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:56 am

gwuorbust wrote:property is the spawn of the devil

so credited. So, so credited.

Also I just cleaned my apartment and went grocery shopping instead of starting my outlines (yeah, you read that right...starting...okay, I have half a property outline).

DOOMED

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”