1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby traehekat » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:35 pm

I've been worried this whole semester about Evidence because I'm in a class with mostly 2Ls and 3Ls who are much more seasoned when it comes to exam taking and have had moot court experience and generally just have a better foundation in Evidence than I do. Then today I thought, "Well, maybe since they are 2Ls and 3Ls, they just don't care about their grades as much anymore? I mean... I wouldn't." Pretty sure this still doesn't cure the fact I am 100+ pages behind in reading and have no clue what is going on, but whatever.

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby pleasetryagain » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:41 pm

gwuorbust wrote:hmm, that is what I am thinking on the one hand. but I asked because if you buy half of someone's fee simple estate you are not in possession of the "original party's entire estate." so I am thinking maybe you aren't bound by the covenant anymore? but like you said, you are in possession of the entire durational interest. I'll ask my prof on Monday and post answer here.


Raw law is correct. you dont have to be in possession of the grantors' (servient) entire physical estate. You just have to have the entire interest in what you do have (fee simple, no lease/life estate etc). B could sell you 1/2 or 1/200 of his land and you would still be burdened by the covenant. See HOA example.
Last edited by pleasetryagain on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:41 pm

I outlined 10 pages of reading today. That counts for something, right?

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby pleasetryagain » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:43 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:I outlined 10 pages of reading today. That counts for something, right?


Counts for 10 less pages than you had to do this morning. I read and outline a 200 page property supplement on future interests. I feel pretty winning until I realize I still have 2/3 of the class left to do.

Morgan12Oak
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:59 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby Morgan12Oak » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:16 am

I planned to outline today from noon till 10 pm. I started outlining at 11 pm yet am finally hitting my stride. I feel like I should take advantage of this rare productivity and pull an all-nighter.

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:51 am

Morgan12Oak wrote:I planned to outline today from noon till 10 pm. I started outlining at 11 pm yet am finally hitting my stride. I feel like I should take advantage of this rare productivity and pull an all-nighter.


Dude what are you doing on the internet GET BACK 2 WORK

User avatar
YourCaptain
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby YourCaptain » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:57 am

rad law wrote:
kalvano wrote:I just spent today cramming most of a semester of Civ Pro into my brain.

Personal Jurisdiction / Venue does not seem that hard.


PJ is incredibly amenable to a flowchart, which makes it easier to tackle on the exam


except of course when your professor only permits you use of the FRCP and nothing else

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby snowpeach06 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:22 am

YourCaptain wrote:
rad law wrote:
kalvano wrote:I just spent today cramming most of a semester of Civ Pro into my brain.

Personal Jurisdiction / Venue does not seem that hard.


PJ is incredibly amenable to a flowchart, which makes it easier to tackle on the exam


except of course when your professor only permits you use of the FRCP and nothing else

Yup. Luckily it has a few pages in which to cram a short outline, but, my teacher won't even let us tab the book. That's gonna suck because it means I have to memorize the number for every rule, and then spend time finding them.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby traehekat » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:34 am

snowpeach06 wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:
rad law wrote:
kalvano wrote:I just spent today cramming most of a semester of Civ Pro into my brain.

Personal Jurisdiction / Venue does not seem that hard.


PJ is incredibly amenable to a flowchart, which makes it easier to tackle on the exam


except of course when your professor only permits you use of the FRCP and nothing else

Yup. Luckily it has a few pages in which to cram a short outline, but, my teacher won't even let us tab the book. That's gonna suck because it means I have to memorize the number for every rule, and then spend time finding them.


I just don't get some professors. He/she won't let you tab the book? What exactly is that supposed to be testing? Who can flip through the book the quickest?

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby snowpeach06 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:41 pm

traehekat wrote:I just don't get some professors. He/she won't let you tab the book? What exactly is that supposed to be testing? Who can flip through the book the quickest?

Our ability to memorize the number of a rule. Cuse lord knows in practice I can't just google it. Or have a tabbed book saying the name of the rule vs. it's number. My teacher is great. But she always asks "and what rule is that?" I'm like... who the fuck cares? As long as we know the contents of said rule. But, whatever.

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby swc65 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:42 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:I outlined 10 pages of reading today. That counts for something, right?


Counts for 10 less pages than you had to do this morning. I read and outline a 200 page property supplement on future interests. I feel pretty winning until I realize I still have 2/3 of the class left to do.



We skipped future interests!! no RAP or all of that jazz. We still have to do present interests, which aint all that hard.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby D. H2Oman » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:50 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:lol I know nothing about property



So far I've read exactly two property cases, and one of them was unassigned. This is going to end well.

User avatar
Cemoore4
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:21 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby Cemoore4 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:01 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
rad law wrote:
kalvano wrote:I just spent today cramming most of a semester of Civ Pro into my brain.

Personal Jurisdiction / Venue does not seem that hard.


PJ is incredibly amenable to a flowchart, which makes it easier to tackle on the exam


except of course when your professor only permits you use of the FRCP and nothing else


Our prof won't even let us use the FRCP. Should be fun.

User avatar
geekrocker37
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:26 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby geekrocker37 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:32 pm

I dream of last Semester and Civ Pro. Tabbing the FRCP, making flow charts, oh those were the days.

Open Notes Civ Pro > Closed Note Property and Contract exams.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby snowpeach06 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:17 pm

If anyone is looking for a good way to procrastinate, I highly recommend watching episodes of Episodes. Google will give you a bit of trouble, but type in showtime and you can see it online. Like, the perfect blend of British and American humor. Now that I've just finished watching all 7 episodes, I have to go back to trying to figure out what the hell estates and future interests are.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby zeth006 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:44 pm

Arg. Trying to review whatever the hell I went through in property this past week. Prof put a ton of info in the slides concerning the Fair Housing Act and the CRA of 1866. We unfortunately got into one tangent after another and wound up not going over a good chunk of the material.
Last edited by zeth006 on Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby gwuorbust » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:45 pm

just printed out the last 20 years of my K II professors exams. he taught K II every year. I think my print job killed a small tree.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:56 pm

How am I supposed to outline when I have a billion pages of reading for this week?! Gah.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6043
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:57 pm

gwuorbust wrote:just printed out the last 20 years of my K II professors exams. he taught K II every year. I think my print job killed a small tree.

Are you going to be able to go through 20 years of exams AND focus on your other classes?

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby swc65 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:00 pm

gwuorbust wrote:just printed out the last 20 years of my K II professors exams. he taught K II every year. I think my print job killed a small tree.



OMG i was probably the cute charlies brown Christmas tree! You bastard!!!

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6043
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:06 pm

swc65 wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:just printed out the last 20 years of my K II professors exams. he taught K II every year. I think my print job killed a small tree.



OMG i was probably the cute charlies brown Christmas tree! You bastard!!!

:lol:

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby swc65 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:10 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:just printed out the last 20 years of my K II professors exams. he taught K II every year. I think my print job killed a small tree.

Are you going to be able to go through 20 years of exams AND focus on your other classes?



I would use ten to just read and get a feel for what the professors asks, five for pure issue spotting, two for issue spotting and outlining., and then three to do full length exams. One of the mistakes I made last semester was taking too many practice exams. In the few days before my last final, I was so burnt out, I simply could not study!! I seriously just couldn't do it at all. Taking the exam was hell too.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby gwuorbust » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:18 pm

swc65 wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:just printed out the last 20 years of my K II professors exams. he taught K II every year. I think my print job killed a small tree.

Are you going to be able to go through 20 years of exams AND focus on your other classes?



I would use ten to just read and get a feel for what the professors asks, five for pure issue spotting, two for issue spotting and outlining., and then three to do full length exams. One of the mistakes I made last semester was taking too many practice exams. In the few days before my last final, I was so burnt out, I simply could not study!! I seriously just couldn't do it at all. Taking the exam was hell too.


my plan is to take a few one hour chunks to get a feel for his exam style. I'll put like 3 or 4 exams aside. and then using the other ~12 I'll cross reference similar things that come up consistently across his exams. pull those consistent themes. then, closer to finals, I'll take those 3 or 4 full length exams and hopefully be good to go.

User avatar
Gatriel
Posts: 2015
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby Gatriel » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:37 pm

Checking in

Still same as last week. Stupid LRW finals (3 of them) sucks up all my time for the next two weeks. Jesus I hate LRW with such a passion.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19639
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby dailygrind » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:59 pm

anyone got a list of youtube motivational clips? i'm making a folder for the rough times. so far my favorites are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNP16ulyd6c

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rFx6OFooCs




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acr, charmonster, j431e782 and 13 guests