1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
beach_terror

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby beach_terror » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:56 pm

Been in the library for like 4 hours and making little to no progress. I fucking loathe these days. If I wasn't such a pansy, I could have my entire conlaw outline for the year done in a few hours.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:12 pm

beach_terror wrote:Been in the library for like 4 hours and making little to no progress. I fucking loathe these days. If I wasn't such a pansy, I could have my entire conlaw outline for the year done in a few hours.

I'm having one of those days too. Just horrible productivity.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:14 pm

Alright, the goal for the next 5 hours is the finish personal jurisdiction and put a large dent in subject matter jurisdiction. Prediction? I bitch about the Freer hornbook being checked out still for the next hour, then watch old WWF clips on youtube and bail at around 7 to eat dinner.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:42 pm

rad law wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Been in the library for like 4 hours and making little to no progress. I fucking loathe these days. If I wasn't such a pansy, I could have my entire conlaw outline for the year done in a few hours.

The massive hangover isn't helping me either. That might be my last night out of the semester (okay, maybe 1 or 2 more)

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:47 pm

beach_terror wrote:
rad law wrote:

The massive hangover isn't helping me either. That might be my last night out of the semester (okay, maybe 1 or 2 more)

My hangover from last night is pretty much gone thank god. What sucks even more is that is was a pretty lame pre-exam last hurrah

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:51 pm

rad law wrote:My hangover from last night is pretty much gone thank god. What sucks even more is that is was a pretty lame pre-exam last hurrah

It's my birthday, it's the most beautiful day in NYC since sometime in October/November of last year, and I'm spending it in my room reading. This is an all new low.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:55 pm

traehekat wrote:Alright, the goal for the next 5 hours is the finish personal jurisdiction and put a large dent in subject matter jurisdiction. Prediction? I bitch about the Freer hornbook being checked out still for the next hour, then watch old WWF clips on youtube and bail at around 7 to eat dinner.

I have watched an entire season of united states of tara today while swearing each episode was my last before I start outlining. I am going to fucking fail this semester and im ok with it.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:58 pm

2/3 done with my schedule. Just need to briefly zip through 2 weeks of torts then finish up the week's worth of property reading. I think I'm going to take it kind of slow today but leave myself with a bit of free time to goof off.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:58 pm

swc65 wrote:
traehekat wrote:Alright, the goal for the next 5 hours is the finish personal jurisdiction and put a large dent in subject matter jurisdiction. Prediction? I bitch about the Freer hornbook being checked out still for the next hour, then watch old WWF clips on youtube and bail at around 7 to eat dinner.

I have watched an entire season of united states of tara today while swearing each episode was my last before I start outlining. I am going to fucking fail this semester and im ok with it.

I spent 2 hours watching a documentary about the rise and fall of World Championship Wrestling.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:04 pm

Acing Contracts is amazing... I highly recommend that for exam review

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:24 pm

Brought beer to school to aid my outlining.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:31 pm

Property Question:

The requirement for vertical privity under covenants is that the subsequent property owner "must succeed to an original party's entire estate in the property."

So say B sells a lot to A with a covenant for neither to sell alcohol, which is is binding on all subsequent owners and heirs. Say 5 years later B finds that because of this covenant he will get less for his property. B divides his property into two parts and sells to two different buyers. Each constructs a bar. A sues for damages and injunctive relief. What result?

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:40 pm

Today's been a mixed productivity day. I discovered the Sundance channel on Demand. So... that wasn't great. And granted I'll only have done personal jurisdiction before I give up and go drink. But, at least its like the biggest topic. Right?

Goal tomorrow: not be hungover. Catch up on the reading I didn't do last week, and do reading for this week.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:48 pm

Tomorrow is my 2 year anniversary with the girlfriend so I am just chalking it up to nothing getting done. Goal of having all outlines complete by the end of this weekend has been an epic failure.

solotee

Postby solotee » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:59 pm

My gosh, I am not good at keeping to deadlines.

Also, not having Legal Writing anymore has been the most pleasant feeling ever since the bliss of winter break.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:23 pm

gwuorbust wrote:Property Question:

The requirement for vertical privity under covenants is that the subsequent property owner "must succeed to an original party's entire estate in the property."

So say B sells a lot to A with a covenant for neither to sell alcohol, which is is binding on all subsequent owners and heirs. Say 5 years later B finds that because of this covenant he will get less for his property. B divides his property into two parts and sells to two different buyers. Each constructs a bar. A sues for damages and injunctive relief. What result?

I'm not the good with this stuff yet, but I don't believe there's a vertical privity problem here. The subsequent buyers must succeed the entire party's estate in the sense that it doesn't work for leases, for example, but it works here, assuming all the sales are in fee simple. The successor must hold the entire durational interest, which they do, if all the transactions are in fee simple.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:38 pm

rad law wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:Property Question:

I'm not the good with this stuff yet, but I don't believe there's a vertical privity problem here. The subsequent buyers must succeed the entire party's estate in the sense that it doesn't work for leases, for example, but it works here, assuming all the sales are in fee simple. The successor must hold the entire durational interest, which they do, if all the transactions are in fee simple.

hmm, that is what I am thinking on the one hand. but I asked because if you buy half of someone's fee simple estate you are not in possession of the "original party's entire estate." so I am thinking maybe you aren't bound by the covenant anymore? but like you said, you are in possession of the entire durational interest. I'll ask my prof on Monday and post answer here.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:40 pm

I just read all of this, but I was going to say "they're fucked" and can't do that (b/c if it's not a servitude by law, it's a servitude by equity). Also, my casebook basically says "lol" to vertical privity and that it's not really used anymore.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:44 pm

gwuorbust wrote:hmm, that is what I am thinking on the one hand. but I asked because if you buy half of someone's fee simple estate you are not in possession of the "original party's entire estate." so I am thinking maybe you aren't bound by the covenant anymore? but like you said, you are in possession of the entire durational interest. I'll ask my prof on Monday and post answer here.

I'm pretty sure I'm right. Courts enforce covenants like this all the time. Say a developer buy property in fee simple and sells off lots in fee simple with covenants running with the land that the lots may only be used for residential purposes. This is enforceable.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:48 pm

rad law wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:hmm, that is what I am thinking on the one hand. but I asked because if you buy half of someone's fee simple estate you are not in possession of the "original party's entire estate." so I am thinking maybe you aren't bound by the covenant anymore? but like you said, you are in possession of the entire durational interest. I'll ask my prof on Monday and post answer here.

I'm pretty sure I'm right. Courts enforce covenants like this all the time. Say a developer buy property in fee simple and sells off lots in fee simple with covenants running with the land that the lots may only be used for residential purposes. This is enforceable.

When a developer buys land and puts covenants on it such as HOA requirements, they don't have to sell the entire parcel of land in order to have the covenants be enforceable.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:50 pm

lol I know nothing about property

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:59 pm

I'm trying to kill my reading for next week so that I have time to outline during the week rather than attempting to outline all weekend. I feel like I've only made a dent in Property (and still have 20 more pages) and I worked both last night and pretty much all of today :(.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:04 pm

Y'all don't feel bad. First exam is exactly a month from today. Thus far: 0 outlines. Haven't even started on them. I've been way too lax this semester, and I think it's going to come back and bite me (and I don't think I really care....).

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:05 pm

I just spent today cramming most of a semester of Civ Pro into my brain.

Personal Jurisdiction / Venue does not seem that hard.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:13 pm

kalvano wrote:I just spent today cramming most of a semester of Civ Pro into my brain.

Personal Jurisdiction / Venue does not seem that hard.

PJ is incredibly amenable to a flowchart, which makes it easier to tackle on the exam

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”