1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Holly Golightly

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:19 pm

It appears studying is going to wait until tomorrow...

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:19 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Gotta get motivated tomorrow, today I spent 4 hours in the library and only got half an outline done. Concentration was horrid, tomorrow's to-do list is to finish Crim Pro outline and entirely go over it with the supplement at hand. Have about 6-7 hours to do this, seems realistic.

You got half an outline done in only four hours??? Damn, I'm even slower than I thought. It took me longer than that to just do co-tenancy and marital interests the other day :(

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:31 pm

forty-two wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Gotta get motivated tomorrow, today I spent 4 hours in the library and only got half an outline done. Concentration was horrid, tomorrow's to-do list is to finish Crim Pro outline and entirely go over it with the supplement at hand. Have about 6-7 hours to do this, seems realistic.

You got half an outline done in only four hours??? Damn, I'm even slower than I thought. It took me longer than that to just do co-tenancy and marital interests the other day :(

Half of what we have learned up to now, so I guess more like 1/3 of the total outline since like 3 weeks of class left.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:32 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
keg411 wrote:Based on how many classes everyone else has, I definitely picked the right lawl skool :lol: :lol: (note to lurking 0L's - do not pick your school based on number of substantive classes... this is a joke).

Disagree. Go to Mich. 3 classes + ungraded LRW. Fucking bitches.

Go to NYU. Same setup, higher ranking :wink: I'm sure we'll be a non-top-10 school soon enough, though.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:35 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
keg411 wrote:Based on how many classes everyone else has, I definitely picked the right lawl skool :lol: :lol: (note to lurking 0L's - do not pick your school based on number of substantive classes... this is a joke).

Go to NYU. Same setup, higher ranking :wink: I'm sure we'll be a non-top-10 school soon enough, though.

Fuck all of you!

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:40 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

While we're at it, just go to Yale.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:09 am

solotee wrote:If anyone is interested in exam exchange w/ answers, then PM me.

I have to offer:

3-4 Civ Pro exams with answers.

3-4 property exams with answers.

3-4 torts exams w/ answers.

1 contracts exam with answers.

What I'm looking for:

Crim Law exam w/ answers

Con Law exam w/ answers.

Contracts exam w/ answers.

Messing around with many exams is what I attribute 1st semester success to. Let me know!

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:42 am

I'm liking this Glannon Guide to Civ Pro. I think more than the E&E, although I'll probably still read both. I also just figured out an organization for my personal jurisdiction outline that works for me. Hooray!

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:51 am

snowpeach06 wrote:I'm liking this Glannon Guide to Civ Pro. I think more than the E&E, although I'll probably still read both. I also just figured out an organization for my personal jurisdiction outline that works for me. Hooray!

hmm interesting, im sitting here trying to outline PJ and i have the E&E with me that i read but im struggling with organization. luckily, also sitting in front of me is the glannon guide, which i haven't cracked opened yet. looks like i know what im doing with the next hour or so of my time...

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:59 am

traehekat wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:I'm liking this Glannon Guide to Civ Pro. I think more than the E&E, although I'll probably still read both. I also just figured out an organization for my personal jurisdiction outline that works for me. Hooray!

hmm interesting, im sitting here trying to outline PJ and i have the E&E with me that i read but im struggling with organization. luckily, also sitting in front of me is the glannon guide, which i haven't cracked opened yet. looks like i know what im doing with the next hour or so of my time...

I use the E&E, Freer, and the Guide.

I like Freer, but it's very dry. I mean, wow.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:08 pm

yeah i plan on hitting up freer later today in the library, if its not checked out. i've heard enough hype, gotta see it for myself.

god.. you know its getting close to exams when you are start getting amped up about hornbooks.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:43 pm

traehekat wrote:yeah i plan on hitting up freer later today in the library, if its not checked out. i've heard enough hype, gotta see it for myself.

god.. you know its getting close to exams when you are start getting amped up about hornbooks.

If you want interesting-Freer, watch the BarBri videos instead of reading the Hornbook. Yes, you have to shell out the $50, but it's worth it x infinite. And I'm not even a supplement person (except for Crunchtimes and that's for the questions more than anything else).

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:07 pm

traehekat wrote:

I don't know if it will work for you, but I did
A. 3 Types
B. Minimum Contacts
i. Is purposeful availment if...
ii. Isn't purposeful availment if...
iii. The randomnessof stream of commerce
iv. General and Specific Jurisdiction
v. Reasonableness
vi. Random stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere.
YourCaptain wrote:
traehekat wrote:

That's a lot of supplements.

Thats a lot of supplements.

Onion

Postby Onion » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:15 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
traehekat wrote:

I don't know if it will work for you, but I did
A. 3 Types
B. Minimum Contacts
i. Is purposeful availment if...
ii. Isn't purposeful availment if...
iii. The randomnessof stream of commerce
iv. General and Specific Jurisdiction
v. Reasonableness
vi. Random stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere.
YourCaptain wrote:
traehekat wrote:

That's a lot of supplements.

Thats a lot of supplements.

I am using 4 for contracts because our professor has taught us nothing. The only thing he discusses are the issues in the case, and the exam is closed book. Need to read a ton and see rules of law from multiple angles to fully understand to the point where I can discuss them without an outline.

stayway

Postby stayway » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:22 pm

Onion wrote:I am using 4 for contracts because our professor has taught us nothing. The only thing he discusses are the issues in the case, and the exam is closed book. Need to read a ton and see rules of law from multiple angles to fully understand to the point where I can discuss them without an outline.

Which one's you using broseph?

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:23 pm

I used 4 supplements for Crim last semester cause I prof literally has taught us nothing and it worked out well. This semester I may have to do the same with Crim Pro but seems like I only found 1 legit supplement for Crim pro and its not very good.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:31 pm

I'm also a fan of using a lot of different supplements for classes (even though my highest grade last semester was in the class I only used 1 supplement for - I refuse to find a correlation!). It is just kind of a confirmation/solidifying process for me. I don't trust any ONE supplement, but if every other supplement says the same stuff, then it helps me understand, "Okay, this is the law, no doubt about it."

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:45 pm

keg411 wrote:
traehekat wrote:yeah i plan on hitting up freer later today in the library, if its not checked out. i've heard enough hype, gotta see it for myself.

If you want interesting-Freer, watch the BarBri videos instead of reading the Hornbook. Yes, you have to shell out the $50, but it's worth it x infinite. And I'm not even a supplement person (except for Crunchtimes and that's for the questions more than anything else).

+1000000 Freer is awesome and his lectures are pretty entertaining, he's seriously a great lecturer.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:52 pm

I feel like one of the only people who hasn't touched a civ pro hornbook or whatever. My teacher is really damn good. I'll probably do the E&E just to be safe.

Onion

Postby Onion » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:53 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
Onion wrote:I am using 4 for contracts because our professor has taught us nothing. The only thing he discusses are the issues in the case, and the exam is closed book. Need to read a ton and see rules of law from multiple angles to fully understand to the point where I can discuss them without an outline.

Which one's you using broseph?

Farnsworth, E&E, Charleston(sp) and the Casenotes Legal Briefs.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:19 pm

rad law wrote:I feel like one of the only people who hasn't touched a civ pro hornbook or whatever. My teacher is really damn good. I'll probably do the E&E just to be safe.

My textbook is really good as well. I just find that supplements take less time to go through, when you've practically forgotten everything you've already learned. I also apparently forget that we spent like 3 or 4 weeks on Personal Jurisdiction. Outlining it is taking me FOREVER. Ugh, I hope I finish today.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:08 pm

Should today be Property outlining/supplement day, or State & Local Gov day? hmmm...

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:11 pm

Freaking Civ Pro assigned 40 pages + Problems and Excercises for Monday. This is ridiculous and severely gets in my way of outlining!

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:19 pm

I don't want to outline :cry: :cry: :cry:

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:47 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:I don't want to outline :cry: :cry: :cry:

I hate outlining too. But it's the only way I'll refresh the material and have something to look at during reading period. Working on torts outline at the moment. After 2 hours, I've made little progress, but hopefully will be done updating it by dinner time.

Keep pushing forward.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”