1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BarbellDreams

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:39 am

Just realized I hit 1k posts. FML I really need to get off TLS to study... :evil:

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:51 am

BarbellDreams wrote:Just realized I hit 1k posts. FML I really need to get off TLS to study... :evil:

*checks post count* :oops:

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:01 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Just realized I hit 1k posts. FML I really need to get off TLS to study... :evil:

*checks post count* :oops:

Exactly! :mrgreen:

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:21 pm

Has anyone done well in conlaw that is willing to critique my exam prep plan:

(Its an 8 hour take home consisting of 8 short answer that are strictly textual followed by 2 essays and one "fun" question like write the 28th amd or write a dissent to a case we read)

1. Breaking apart old exams and doing questions once or twice a week and going over them with the TAs and prof but not taking a full exam in one shot

2. Outlining major topics we covered in class and then just skimming chemerinsky and taking notes on things I think hell put on the exam that we didn't go over in class

3. Outlining the constitution to get $ore of a familiarity with it for the straight textual questions

Is there anything else that I can do to prep that would be helpful? Its a 5 cr class and I cnt mess it up

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:28 pm

1. 5 credit classes? Wow, never even heard of those.

2. Not sure if you need to outline the constitution. Even if you dont remember the text verbatim, its take home so you have the text in front of you and as long as you have the common sense to know what amendment is in play you wont have a problem looking the exact text up in 5 seconds.

3. Is your professor willing to critique your practice exams/essays? I found this extremely helpful last semester.

4. Not sure if everyone likes this or if it will work but I make a "case outline" which outlines each case we read and why we read it (why its important), that was I can see the structuring and analyzation of the amendment I am writing about in stages.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:31 pm

goosey wrote:Has anyone done well in conlaw that is willing to critique my exam prep plan:

(Its an 8 hour take home consisting of 8 short answer that are strictly textual followed by 2 essays and one "fun" question like write the 28th amd or write a dissent to a case we read)

1. Breaking apart old exams and doing questions once or twice a week and going over them with the TAs and prof but not taking a full exam in one shot

2. Outlining major topics we covered in class and then just skimming chemerinsky and taking notes on things I think hell put on the exam that we didn't go over in class

3. Outlining the constitution to get $ore of a familiarity with it for the straight textual questions

Is there anything else that I can do to prep that would be helpful? Its a 5 cr class and I cnt mess it up

I have the same type of exam (minus that crazy bonus question). one thing I am doing is reviewing all the cases (we've had a particularly light reading load - well under 300 pages for the semester). My professor has made it clear that the ability to navigate the precedent and argue by analogy will be an important part of her exam. So I'm going to be identifying important factual differences between cases that affected which way the court went on a particular issue.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:11 pm

First paper returned for my elective class. Got an A. Stoked because philosophy definitely isn't my game and this was on a 3.0 scale with people who are definitely smarter/better at philosophy than I am.

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:04 pm

Geist13 wrote:
goosey wrote:Has anyone done well in conlaw that is willing to critique my exam prep plan:

I have the same type of exam (minus that crazy bonus question). one thing I am doing is reviewing all the cases (we've had a particularly light reading load - well under 300 pages for the semester). My professor has made it clear that the ability to navigate the precedent and argue by analogy will be an important part of her exam. So I'm going to be identifying important factual differences between cases that affected which way the court went on a particular issue.

Our reading was insane and I considered re-reading some of the cases but don't think I'll be doing that bc there is not even close to enough time nor do I have the patience or willpower to put myself through that hell twice. I did, however, include cases in my outline

Barbell, this is my 3rd 5 credit class (civ pro, K's, and con law). They are gpa makers or breakers

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:09 pm

1 month out, check in time

Con Law I: yeah uhm what? I hate how this class is taught, I'm learning everything out of supplemental material.
Property: Outline finished, and reading done out till the end of the semester.
Contracts II: Only current, outline current, working on memorizing damages calculations.
Civil Procedure II: Round two of hell. Outline done. Reading current.
LW/LR: Graded final in 3 weeks for LR, 2 more papers and LW is finally done. Ours is all graded. FML

1 month

I just have to keep staring at that. :shock:

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:32 pm

evilxs wrote:I just have to keep staring at that. :shock:

Cannot wait for summa time. Hanging out by the pool, drinking beers, actually talking to chicks outside of the law school.

stayway

Postby stayway » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:33 pm

beach_terror wrote:

Cannot wait for summa time. Hanging out by the pool, drinking beers, actually talking to chicks outside of the law school.

You a 1L bro?

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:33 pm

beach_terror wrote:

going to the maldives in the summer for my honeymoon. I am more excited about the fact that I get a post-1L vacation than the honeymoon part.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:38 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

You a 1L bro?

Top 10% looks, REAL TALK (clap clap)

stayway

Postby stayway » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:44 pm

beach_terror wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

You a 1L bro?

Top 10% looks, REAL TALK (clap clap)

Lmao

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:07 pm

After exams I want to take Negotiation and Mediation over the summer. Then 2L classes, finally something I WANT to study. :mrgreen:

Gonna spend a week in June in Yellowstone 8)

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:54 pm

evilxs wrote:After exams I want to take Negotiation and Mediation over the summer. Then 2L classes, finally something I WANT to study. :mrgreen:

Gonna spend a week in June in Yellowstone 8)

Are you working?

solotee

Postby solotee » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:18 am

oral arguments today, then 100% focus will be on exams.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:41 am

solotee wrote:oral arguments today, then 100% focus will be on exams. drinking

FTFM... at least for today :).

weee

Postby weee » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:02 am

Ordered the ConLaw Emanuel, Chemerinsky supp is good but I needed something more outline-like, am I wasting my money?

Edit: Anyone know of an good online source of criminal law multiple choice questions with answers? my Crim final is 100% MC.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:04 pm

It's officially April. Looks like we'll be seeing club/mixer events slowly winding down as everyone preps their outlines and practice tests and starts living at the library.

Life of a law school student.

EDIT: They didn't make it so that "law school student" wouldn't be phrased as "lawl school student."

solotee

Postby solotee » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:29 pm

If anyone is interested in exam exchange w/ answers, then PM me.

I have to offer:

3-4 Civ Pro exams with answers.

3-4 property exams with answers.

3-4 torts exams w/ answers.

1 contracts exam with answers.

What I'm looking for:

Crim Law exam w/ answers

Con Law exam w/ answers.

Contracts exam w/ answers.

Messing around with many exams is what I attribute 1st semester success to. Let me know!

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:33 pm

keg411 wrote:Based on how many classes everyone else has, I definitely picked the right lawl skool :lol: :lol: (note to lurking 0L's - do not pick your school based on number of substantive classes... this is a joke).

Disagree. Go to Mich. 3 classes + ungraded LRW. Fucking bitches.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:40 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
keg411 wrote:Based on how many classes everyone else has, I definitely picked the right lawl skool :lol: :lol: (note to lurking 0L's - do not pick your school based on number of substantive classes... this is a joke).

Disagree. Go to Mich. 3 classes + ungraded LRW. Fucking bitches.

We have graded legal writing, in addition to 5 classes. Last semester, we took all 5 finals in 9 days. SMU ftl.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:11 pm

Gotta get motivated tomorrow, today I spent 4 hours in the library and only got half an outline done. Concentration was horrid, tomorrow's to-do list is to finish Crim Pro outline and entirely go over it with the supplement at hand. Have about 6-7 hours to do this, seems realistic.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:16 pm

Ultimate in the morning, weights in the afternoon. Will begin my hardcore study session beginning at three. I had a (moot) moot today and realized how horrible my oral advocacy skills are. I'd rather not look like a fool during my actual argument. Unfortunately this means I'll have to devote time to perfecting my oral argument.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”