1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dakatz

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby dakatz » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:33 pm

Just got brief back. Given that it was worth 50%, it determined my grade for the semester. Not sure how, but my writing instructor said it was my best submission of the year. Needless to say, I'm pretty psyched right now. Given all the stress and craziness starting to brew up with the semester coming to an end, I really needed that.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:37 pm

keg411 wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
swc65 wrote:Oh how I do not miss Civil Procedure!

compared to con law i do.

+1

Still amazed some people don't dig conlawl. Come on guys, "it's a Constitution we are expounding"!

Yeah, I should kill myself. But for serious, con law is the only intrinsically interesting class this semester for me. My teacher is also awesome and our text rox sox to the point of it bitchslapping the Chemerinsky treatsie into oblivion.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:38 pm

dakatz wrote:Just got brief back. Given that it was worth 50%, it determined my grade for the semester. Not sure how, but my writing instructor said it was my best submission of the year. Needless to say, I'm pretty psyched right now. Given all the stress and craziness starting to brew up with the semester coming to an end, I really needed that.

Congrats!

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:38 pm

beach_terror wrote:
keg411 wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
swc65 wrote:Oh how I do not miss Civil Procedure!

compared to con law i do.

+1

Still amazed some people don't dig conlawl. Come on guys, "it's a Constitution we are expounding"!

Yeah, I should kill myself. But for serious, con law is the only intrinsically interesting class this semester for me. My teacher is also awesome and our text rox sox to the point of it bitchslapping the Chemerinsky treatsie into oblivion.

con law this semester and civ pro last semester? you're a freak, man.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:42 pm

I liked CivPro significantly more than I like Conlaw. It's funny because I like my professor, but I find Conlaw is so subjective to that point that it bothers me.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:43 pm

keg411 wrote:I liked CivPro significantly more than I like Conlaw. It's funny because I like my professor, but I find Conlaw is so subjective to that point that it bothers me.

it's also freakishly schizophrenic. different justices always have different opinions on what to do and where to go, and keeping it all straight is a nightmare.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:43 pm

Fuck fucking conlaw

stayway

Postby stayway » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:55 pm

Last edited by stayway on Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:55 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Fuck fucking conlaw

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:57 pm

It's okay b_t. I like LRW. And Property. We all have our "freak" classes that we enjoy :D.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:58 pm

keg411 wrote:It's okay b_t. I like LRW. And Property. We all have our "freak" classes that we enjoy :D.

You are sick, too

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:58 pm

i dug contracts. i'm in corporations right now and i kinda like it. i'll get back to you on whether or not i love it after i see my grade.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:00 am

dailygrind wrote:i dug contracts. i'm in corporations right now and i kinda like it. i'll get back to you on whether or not i love it after i see my grade.

If I chose which classes I liked/hated based on grades instead of preference, I would love my least favorite class and hate my favorite class from 1st sem.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:25 am

dailygrind wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I still haven't read a single case in Crim. Not one. It's getting sad.

why bother when you've got two uncurved classes to spend time on instead?

. . .

BURN HIM!!!!!!!

Hey I've devoted a lot of time to getting someone to send me a Islamic law outline.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:30 am

I LOVED Con Law. I think I might like Crim even more, though.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:32 am

JCougar wrote:Finally done with personal jurisdiction. My outline is a mess organizationally, but that's because the doctrine doesn't develop like branches on a tree (that is amenable to outlining).

Everything starts with Pennoyer, and almost everything ends with Schaffer (and Hertz), and there's total chaos in between.

Make a flow chart of specific jx, general jx, and 5th amend. jx (if yall did that). It's a lot easier to see it that way. I'm a big flowchart fan.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:34 am

Hate

Con - amorphous mess
Crim - more divorced from real life than law school classes usually.

Civ pro - good teacher who is actually clear about shit
Property - like history and medieval shit

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:51 am

keg411 wrote:I liked CivPro significantly more than I like Conlaw. It's funny because I like my professor, but I find Conlaw is so subjective to that point that it bothers me.

I hear you. I just reread Lawrence v. Texas after reading it in my elective. It really bothers me how wrong the majority opinion is, not to mention how annoyed I'm going to be listening to classmates assert that homosexual sex is a fundamental right as understood by the Constitution. It may lead to me actually speaking in class for once. Its also possible I'm annoyed that Scalia has won me over.

And dg, I'm definitely a freak. Civ pro is the shit though :lol:

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:07 am

beach_terror wrote:

I hear you. I just reread Lawrence v. Texas after reading it in my elective. It really bothers me how wrong the majority opinion is, not to mention how annoyed I'm going to be listening to classmates assert that homosexual sex is a fundamental right as understood by the Constitution. It may lead to me actually speaking in class for once. Its also possible I'm annoyed that Scalia has won me over.

And dg, I'm definitely a freak. Civ pro is the shit though :lol:

That was the first case we read in crim LOL

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:55 am

We read a bit of Lawrence in Crim too (but our casebook only had a small snippet and put it under the heading "Right to Privacy"). Haven't talked about that case yet in ConLaw. But the rest of you debated on this for like 10 pages in the other thread, so I'm going to leave it alone because I don't particularly care :lol:.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:44 am

keg411 wrote:We read a bit of Lawrence in Crim too (but our casebook only had a small snippet and put it under the heading "Right to Privacy"). Haven't talked about that case yet in ConLaw. But the rest of you debated on this for like 10 pages in the other thread, so I'm going to leave it alone because I don't particularly care :lol:.

Hippies.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:31 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I still haven't read a single case in Crim. Not one. It's getting sad.

I hadn't, but I spent two days over spring break reading about 250 pages.

My Crim Law class is going to be a repeat of Property from last year. The professor loves assigning policy articles from outside the casebook, she hands out outlines and practice exams like candy, is very "how do you feel about this," and to top it off, nothing about Criminal Law is hard to understand...it's torts all over again, and we're being babied through it. The curve is going to be overwhelmingly undifferentiated, and the grades are going to turn on petty bullshit (in other words, the professor's ego). The final exam is going to be an information barf contest to see who can retype their outline the fastest while still somehow tying the outline in to the fact pattern, however much of a stretch it takes. And she gives tons of participation points in class.

Might as well just focus on Con Law and Civ Pro, and cross my fingers for a median grade in Crim Law and get some "participation points" as a safety.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:36 pm

JCougar wrote:

I hadn't, but I spent two days over spring break reading about 250 pages.

My Crim Law class is going to be a repeat of Property from last year. The professor loves assigning policy articles from outside the casebook, she hands out outlines and practice exams like candy, is very "how do you feel about this," and to top it off, nothing about Criminal Law is hard to understand...it's torts all over again, and we're being babied through it. The curve is going to be overwhelmingly undifferentiated, and the grades are going to turn on petty bullshit (in other words, the professor's ego). The final exam is going to be an information barf contest to see who can retype their outline the fastest while still somehow tying the outline in to the fact pattern, however much of a stretch it takes. And she gives tons of participation points in class.

Might as well just focus on Con Law and Civ Pro, and cross my fingers for a median grade in Crim Law and get some "participation points" as a safety.

Sounds like my crim law class. My teacher is notorious here for a) not indicating points on your paper and b) grading everything out of 20. She ended up grading things on feel and I tried to figure it out post-crim midterm and I left the office apathetic to that class for the rest of the semester. For instance, I got 35 checks on my crim midterm and ended up at a point value that you can't arrive at mathematically from 35. She also disagreed with me a perfectly valid point about a questionable actus reus sub-point and said "yeah that's a good argument, but nobody else saw that so I didn't give you any points"

Some teachers..

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:06 pm

Literally freaking out about my paper. It's wrong, but I don't know how to fix it. I'm just stumped, and everything I do seems to make it worse. I can't find a solution. I'm so fucked. I don't even know what to do. Like, spending time on it is getting me nowhere, but, I need to spend time on it because it's due Friday. Even when I try to breathe and collect my thoughts, I'm not coming up with anything.

solotee

Postby solotee » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:10 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Literally freaking out about my paper. It's wrong, but I don't know how to fix it. I'm just stumped, and everything I do seems to make it worse. I can't find a solution. I'm so fucked. I don't even know what to do. Like, spending time on it is getting me nowhere, but, I need to spend time on it because it's due Friday. Even when I try to breathe and collect my thoughts, I'm not coming up with anything.

Put it aside for a day. Come back to it Thursday. You will then have a better chance of figuring out how to fix it, rather than working on it tomorrow and Thursday.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”