1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby 98234872348 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:46 am

j
Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

geekrocker37

Postby geekrocker37 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:51 pm

Best supplement to easily learn Contracts?

As much as I using my own outlines, somehow I don't think our 25 minute explanation on who Lady Duff-Gordon is will help me on the final...

In the past, I've been a big fan of crunchtime...

lsathalon

Postby lsathalon » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:56 pm

geekrocker37 wrote:Best supplement to easily learn Contracts?

As much as I using my own outlines, somehow I don't think our 25 minute explanation on who Lady Duff-Gordon is will help me on the final...

I really liked Acing Contracts. It has helpful lists of how to go through different issues.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:57 pm

I really liked K's E&E though I know some didnt, other than that Law in a Flash helped me as well.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:13 pm

I'm using Chirelstein (sp?). Our prof had it in his office when I went to meet with him. Its adequate, but nothing amazing. PS I feel like there's a 60% chance I met you two weekends ago.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:43 pm

Dammit, after 2 days of really solid outlining I got really sick this weekend from something. I am barely awake enough to get the reading done. I will proceed to overdose on Tylenol Cold for the next 3 days in hopes of killing this by friday.

goosey

Postby goosey » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:23 pm

my library doesnt have cherilinsky. I have the farnsworth hornbook [which is what my prof recommends] and am super behind on the reading for it.

I have a very bad feeling about my K's grade

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:29 pm

goosey wrote:my library doesnt have cherilinsky. I have the farnsworth hornbook [which is what my prof recommends] and am super behind on the reading for it.

i struggled to read farnsworth, even tho my prof suggested it. its just too dense, imo.

goosey

Postby goosey » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:33 pm

traehekat wrote:
goosey wrote:my library doesnt have cherilinsky. I have the farnsworth hornbook [which is what my prof recommends] and am super behind on the reading for it.

i struggled to read farnsworth, even tho my prof suggested it. its just too dense, imo.

yeah theres so much extraneous info.

do you have any other suggestions?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:39 pm

goosey wrote:
traehekat wrote:

chirelstein was good for a broad overview, blum/e&e was good for clarifying things throughout the semester, and gilbert was sufficient for outlining. honestly i didn't love any of the supplements i had for Ks, though.

stayway

Postby stayway » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:24 pm

beach_terror wrote:

I'm using Chirelstein (sp?). Our prof had it in his office when I went to meet with him. Its adequate, but nothing amazing. PS I feel like there's a 60% chance I met you two weekends ago.

COME OUT BROS

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:42 pm

JCougar wrote:There's a lot of really fuckin' smart people that thought it would be easy last semester that didn't get the grades they wanted...that are killing it this semester. I know people that are literally spending every waking moment in the library when they're not in class. People that stayed here all spring break to study.

I can't imagine how this is going to fuck up the curve. I'm trying to be one of those people...but there's a lot of other people with a burr up their ass about last semester's grades. This semester is going to be much, much harder.

The urge to go on a drinking binge is building. I just need to hold off for 6 more weeks...

honestly, I think studying that hard is just stupid and counter-productive

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:16 pm

Contracts was my highest grade and I really thought Farnsworth helped me out. I got it with two weeks to go in the semester, and used it to refine my outline. If I had done it all over, I would have gotten it much earlier and read through it twice. Chirelstein is virtually worthless, as it's such a high-level overview that the stuff it goes over is stuff you would surely get from simply having gone to class and reading the cases.

Parts of Farnsworth are dense, but I really think it helps you get the big picture...which is important for me.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:51 pm

goosey wrote:
traehekat wrote:

If you want something pretty simple, try Acing Contracts. I know other people have recommended it and I used it last semester. The Crunchtime is also solid, but I only used it for the MC questions since my prof recommended the Acing book and I didn't want to get confused.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:08 pm

traehekat wrote:
goosey wrote:
traehekat wrote:

chirelstein was good for a broad overview, blum/e&e was good for clarifying things throughout the semester, and gilbert was sufficient for outlining. honestly i didn't love any of the supplements i had for Ks, though.

I used the Camarillo BLL outline that the "Unique Perspective" article writer advocated.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:26 pm

JCougar wrote:

Contracts was my highest grade and I really thought Farnsworth helped me out. I got it with two weeks to go in the semester, and used it to refine my outline. If I had done it all over, I would have gotten it much earlier and read through it twice. Chirelstein is virtually worthless, as it's such a high-level overview that the stuff it goes over is stuff you would surely get from simply having gone to class and reading the cases.

Parts of Farnsworth are dense, but I really think it helps you get the big picture...which is important for me.

I loved farnsworth! I think my professor did too because they had so many similar points. Lucked out on that one.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:42 pm

Finally done with personal jurisdiction. My outline is a mess organizationally, but that's because the doctrine doesn't develop like branches on a tree (that is amenable to outlining).

Everything starts with Pennoyer, and almost everything ends with Schaffer (and Hertz), and there's total chaos in between.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:45 pm

Haha, oh Pennoyer. Everything started with Shoe in mine and had random ends depending on what the issue in the case was. Of course on my final the prof decided to give us something we barely covered because he said he assumed we all knew substantive law. Basically, the 40 hours of studying I put in on the weekend was worthless. 3 hours, 1 question you learned nothing about, lets see your legal reasoning.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:00 pm

Oh how I do not miss Civil Procedure!

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:05 pm

swc65 wrote:Oh how I do not miss Civil Procedure!

compared to con law i do.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:09 pm

dailygrind wrote:

+1

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:16 pm

keg411 wrote:
dailygrind wrote:

+1

+ a million.

I am realizing I'm fucked in all of my classes for different reasons.

conlaw - my prof doesn't teach and no one knows wtf is going on

State & Local Gov - a million seemingly random concepts that I have no idea how to fit into an exam, much less into an outline

1st Amendment - curve pwnage

Property - I know nothing

fuckfuckfuckfuck

Postby 09042014 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:27 pm

I still haven't read a single case in Crim. Not one. It's getting sad.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I still haven't read a single case in Crim. Not one. It's getting sad.

why bother when you've got two uncurved classes to spend time on instead?

. . .

BURN HIM!!!!!!!

swc65

Postby swc65 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:31 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I still haven't read a single case in Crim. Not one. It's getting sad.

WTF? two uncurved classes?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”