1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mythosopher

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Postby mythosopher » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:36 am

Finals are in four weeks. I haven't even started my outlines. I am severely behind in the readings for Negotiations. I don't have a flipping inkling about what the heck is going on in Con Law and haven't done those readings either. I have a two-issue brief to rewrite, and its oral argument to give. I'm still applying for summer internships (although, THANK GOD, I have an interview Tuesday). Haven't even thought about practice tests.

My procrastination really is going to get me in trouble this semester. :shock: I'm so, so f*cked, there's not even a word for it. :cry:

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:43 am

My first exam is April 26. I have one outline that is almost up-to-date, but my other ones either don't exist or have next to nothing on them. I really need to just sit down and figure out what the format of all my exams are going to be and develop a strategy.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:00 am

beach_terror wrote:
swc65 wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:So I just realized that my first final is in less than a month. I think 3 weeks. This week I'm struggling just to finish my reading and write a paper. Getting all my outlining done in time is gonna be a bitch.

That's so soon I have 6 or so weeks and I am feeling the heat

5 weeks here. I felt overwhelmed last week but I'm on top of everything now. Conlaw outline will be 100% caught up with by tomorrow. Up to date in Contracts. Elective paper is no sweat. Next week is all property.

By this time next week I should have all my outlines up to date. LETS DO IT

I'm so envious. This is my week to catch up on everything, I stupidly let 1L employment stuff get in the way of schoolwork. Here's to getting everything up to date by the end of this week/end :D

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:03 am

First exam in a month. I have 1 outline up to date and another half way. Other 2 are non-existent. Also I have officially started panicking more about FRCP Civ Pro than abut Con Law. Our prof literally just expects too much from us, assigns 35 pages + problems and excercises + quiz every day and we have gone over more FRCPs than either of the other two sections by a lot. I have no idea what the hell is going on on half of these FRCPs and the majority of the class have failed all her quizzes (including myself). Basically the curve needs to save me in this class like it did in Crim Law last semester, but banking on that is just scary.

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:44 am

I'm starting my gunning today and its unreal how hard im gonna go. Need a 3.9 this semester to make LR safely at my T10.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:05 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:First exam in a month. I have 1 outline up to date and another half way. Other 2 are non-existent. Also I have officially started panicking more about FRCP Civ Pro than abut Con Law. Our prof literally just expects too much from us, assigns 35 pages + problems and excercises + quiz every day and we have gone over more FRCPs than either of the other two sections by a lot. I have no idea what the hell is going on on half of these FRCPs and the majority of the class have failed all her quizzes (including myself). Basically the curve needs to save me in this class like it did in Crim Law last semester, but banking on that is just scary.

so fucking glad i had civpro last semester before i knew how bad it was (although too bad it totally screwed my gpa - as in, it was a good .5 lower than any other grade). and my professor wasn't even 10% as rough as yours. good luck man.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:13 pm

I also am going to start cranking up my finals prep today. Time to start outlining, supplementing, working on my last brief, and eventually doing some PTs.

GUNNING TIME IS HERE. BRING IT.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:14 pm

yeah civ pro is the one class i haven't even begun to outline or form a plan for. like contracts and the UCC/Restatement last semester, the thought of organizing everything in the class/readings + the FRCP for civ pro is just scary. no idea how i am going to do it. right now i am just trying to get the easier stuff out of the way, cause it has to get done eventually. when i run out of productive stuff to do, then ill prolly start outlining civ pro.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:15 pm

romothesavior wrote:I also am going to start cranking up my finals prep today. Time to start outlining, supplementing, working on my last brief, and eventually doing some PTs.

GUNNING TIME IS HERE. BRING IT.

god, the advertisement you have to watch before the video is such a fucking buzzkill.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:20 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:First exam in a month. I have 1 outline up to date and another half way. Other 2 are non-existent. Also I have officially started panicking more about FRCP Civ Pro than abut Con Law. Our prof literally just expects too much from us, assigns 35 pages + problems and excercises + quiz every day and we have gone over more FRCPs than either of the other two sections by a lot. I have no idea what the hell is going on on half of these FRCPs and the majority of the class have failed all her quizzes (including myself). Basically the curve needs to save me in this class like it did in Crim Law last semester, but banking on that is just scary.

Go listen to the Freer sections that cover FRCP as opposed to JX/Erie. Freer is win. Also, if anyone wants a baller CivPro outline, PM me your e-mail address.

I have a month from Monday and my outlines are mostly bad so far (and nowhere near up-to-date). I do have a good basic idea of what to do with ConLaw, but I'm not happy with Crim, and I've only done the RAP/FI part of my property outline.

DG - speaking with ConLaw, my roommate found out from a 2L the Chem lecture isn't good for our book. I'm going to listen to it anyway, though, since my prof actually assigns sections of the Chemerinsky treatise as class readings.

Thank god the brief is done and my oral argument will be done after Thursday morning and we have no Property this week.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:23 pm

traehekat wrote:god, the advertisement you have to watch before the video is such a fucking buzzkill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0qVUn4797g&feature=related

Let's try that one. Though the hug at the end does create a bit of strange sexual tension.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:53 pm

Brief and oral argument are DONE, three weeks until exams start, and I am way less prepared now then I was at this time last semester. There was too much other stuff to do this semester (finding a job, mock trial/moot court) and I definitely got a lot lazier. Luckily one professor essentially outlines for us, and I found a workable old outline for another professor, so I'm not starting from nothing.

Thanks for the inspirational videos romo. Training montages are just what I need to get in the zone.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:08 pm

I made a vow not to become a gunner... until I glanced at the GPA / Top X% breakdowns. It's going to be a long month and a half.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:44 pm

keg411 wrote:DG - speaking with ConLaw, my roommate found out from a 2L the Chem lecture isn't good for our book. I'm going to listen to it anyway, though, since my prof actually assigns sections of the Chemerinsky treatise as class readings.

Thank god the brief is done and my oral argument will be done after Thursday morning and we have no Property this week.

i managed to find an old outline written by someone on LR that's crystal clear, so i'll hopefully be able to bypass chemerinksy. thanks for the update though, it's much appreciated.

Onion

Postby Onion » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:31 pm

Just finished my Prop outline (up to date) and have started outline for my other two classes. Oral argument is done, so hoping to finish the next two outlines by the end of the week (K one is going to be very brief as we are not allowed to bring it in, Con Law is going to be a monster as it is the only thing we can bring in). 5 weeks to go!

mths

Postby mths » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:01 pm

jesus

already?

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:03 pm

Finishing an outline today- other two need to be started. Finished my trial brief- slept enough over spring break to start the madness.

Here we go again.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:06 pm

I think I'd actually rather start to outline than continue to work on this paper. Now that's just sad.

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:12 pm

Also- does anybody else think this semester went much, much quicker?

Probably because of the 1L Summer Employment Search, the uptick in writing, or my own personal head injury, but I feel like this semester just began.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:15 pm

SmittenMitten wrote:Also- does anybody else think this semester went much, much quicker?

Probably because of the 1L Summer Employment Search, the uptick in writing, or my own personal head injury, but I feel like this semester just began.

I only landed a job mid March and spent an insane amount of time applying. Sending apps Dec 1st without grades is a much smarter idea than waiting till grades are out like CSO recommended. I would do a LOT of things differently this semester if I could do it all over again.

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:24 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
SmittenMitten wrote:Also- does anybody else think this semester went much, much quicker?

I only landed a job mid March and spent an insane amount of time applying. Sending apps Dec 1st without grades is a much smarter idea than waiting till grades are out like CSO recommended. I would do a LOT of things differently this semester if I could do it all over again.

I would do nearly everything differently in regards to employment search. I would also not injure myself-which was totally my own doing. I would also re-do my first memo, and not take a weekend off to go to New York.

Ugh.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:38 pm

There's a lot of really fuckin' smart people that thought it would be easy last semester that didn't get the grades they wanted...that are killing it this semester. I know people that are literally spending every waking moment in the library when they're not in class. People that stayed here all spring break to study.

I can't imagine how this is going to fuck up the curve. I'm trying to be one of those people...but there's a lot of other people with a burr up their ass about last semester's grades. This semester is going to be much, much harder.

The urge to go on a drinking binge is building. I just need to hold off for 6 more weeks...

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:13 pm

JCougar wrote:There's a lot of really fuckin' smart people that thought it would be easy last semester that didn't get the grades they wanted...that are killing it this semester. I know people that are literally spending every waking moment in the library when they're not in class. People that stayed here all spring break to study.

I can't imagine how this is going to fuck up the curve. I'm trying to be one of those people...but there's a lot of other people with a burr up their ass about last semester's grades. This semester is going to be much, much harder.

The urge to go on a drinking binge is building. I just need to hold off for 6 more weeks...

Really? my experience is the total opposite. Everyone seems distracted and to care less this semester than last. My schools, effectively has only two grades tho. B and B+ (I am exaggerating but 75% of the class gets one of these two grades.) I think people realized that there is just so little differentiation because the curve is smashed together that it is is pointless to study uber hard to get ahead of the pack, only to get the same grade!

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:15 pm

j
Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:17 pm

mistergoft wrote:
JCougar wrote:There's a lot of really fuckin' smart people that thought it would be easy last semester that didn't get the grades they wanted...that are killing it this semester. I know people that are literally spending every waking moment in the library when they're not in class. People that stayed here all spring break to study.

You realize the worst possible thing you can do in law school is focus on what everyone else is doing instead of focusing on getting yourself ready for exams, right?

If it scares me enough to get my own shit in order, I don't see how that could be a bad thing.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”