1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
keg411

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby keg411 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:51 pm

I used Acing Contracts. Liked it a lot, but my prof also pretty much taught to it.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:55 pm

kalvano wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Anyone mind recommending some contracts supplements? Based on another thread, I'm getting Gilbert's for property. I have no idea wtf is up with my conlaw class because we have a visiting prof, but I'm trying to sort out my supplements now.

Kalv, I remember you saying Acing Contracts was good (I think), should I grab it?

Concepts And Case Analysis in the Law of Contracts (the boat book). It's basic, but it helped reinforce some principles.

the chirelstein book. i found it most useful as a precursor to reading the casebook. for deeper reading, get a hornbook called farnsworth on contracts.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:35 am

Farnsworth is so boring it will make you cry. Our prof assigned that book.

It's good, just incredibly boring.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:47 am

kalvano wrote:Farnsworth is so boring it will make you cry. Our prof assigned that book.

Sooooo boring. Also, based on our casebook/teacher it was pretty much not worth it because there is so much in Farnsworth I had to dig through to try and find a relevant point. I liked the organization in Emmanuel a lot better.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:05 am

beach_terror wrote:Anyone mind recommending some contracts supplements? Based on another thread, I'm getting Gilbert's for property. I have no idea wtf is up with my conlaw class because we have a visiting prof, but I'm trying to sort out my supplements now.

Kalv, I remember you saying Acing Contracts was good (I think), should I grab it?

I thought the e&e was awesome. Its long and in depth, works well if you stick with it all semester. The only topic I found it lacking on was modification. We finished the entire casebook and that was the only subject that didn't get complete treatment in the e&e.

The Chirelstein gets a lot of praise but it sucks. It's Just the author's stream of consciousness rambling about contracts. It has no discernible organization and most things get very superficial treatment.

I started seeing this acing series around a lot toward the end of the semester. Do people like it? I'm particularly interested in hearing if anyone knows anything about the Acing property book.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:57 pm

kalvano wrote:Farnsworth is so boring it will make you cry. Our prof assigned that book.

I actually liked Farnsworth. It's very detailed and it's pretty easy to find things in it. I just used it to look things up when confused though...I'd probably think it's boring if I tried to read it straight through or something. I also really liked Chirelstein for damages.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:07 pm

keg411 wrote:I don't go to your school, but I go to one of the area schools. My career services counselor suggested the Philadelphia Law Department if you're interested in DA/prosecutor jobs (I don't think it's quite as competitive as the DA).

Keg, how are you handling the bidding when the organizations say something like this "Only interested in students who are committed to a career in public interest law." ?

I have no idea what the fuck I want to do at this point, so I don't want to bid without having the commitment they're looking for. I find it tough to believe after 1 semester of law school anyone can say anything for sure. Like most, my grades are going to determine a lot.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:09 am

Just bid on organizations that don’t say that. You don’t have to use all of your bids.

Amy wineBerry

Postby Amy wineBerry » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:39 am

The Crunchtime is an awesome exam study aid; it may also work as a broad and general introduction to topics.

*Granted, my professor taught the class the exact same way he tested (which was a major plus). Also, I haven't gotten any grades back yet. :roll:

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:26 pm

Geist13 wrote:The Chirelstein gets a lot of praise but it sucks. It's Just the author's stream of consciousness rambling about contracts. It has no discernible organization and most things get very superficial treatment.

Agree with everything here. Chirelstein is only really good for an 0L overview of Contracts. It is kind of aimless rambling.

I loved Farnsworth though. A few parts were boring, and I just kind of speed-read through them, but I found most sections really useful as yet another perspective from which to review the material -- one that explained things thoroughly, including answering the question of "why?"

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:14 pm

I was in Atlantic City last night, I went up like 120$ and immediately thought "yes, I can buy a bunch of supplements with this!"

God, I had no idea law school made me into this.

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:55 pm

beach_terror wrote:I was in Atlantic City last night, I went up like 120$ and immediately thought "yes, I can buy a bunch of supplements with this!"

Jesus Christ.

stayway

Postby stayway » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:42 pm

beach_terror wrote:I was in Atlantic City last night, I went up like 120$ and immediately thought "yes, I can buy a bunch of supplements with this!"

For that, you deserve an F

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:50 pm

Isn't it funny how that works?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:05 pm

seespotrun wrote:

Jesus Christ.

To be fair, I told myself I went up 200$ then I'd be going to the strip club. Roulette turned out to be a cruel bastard later on in the night and I only walked out 20$ up which is enough for a used E&E

Fuck it, commuting from home this semester anyway.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:36 pm

JCougar wrote:
Geist13 wrote:The Chirelstein gets a lot of praise but it sucks. It's Just the author's stream of consciousness rambling about contracts. It has no discernible organization and most things get very superficial treatment.

Agree with everything here. Chirelstein is only really good for an 0L overview of Contracts. It is kind of aimless rambling.

I loved Farnsworth though. A few parts were boring, and I just kind of speed-read through them, but I found most sections really useful as yet another perspective from which to review the material -- one that explained things thoroughly, including answering the question of "why?"

--ImageRemoved--

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:25 pm

lol

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:36 pm

beach_terror wrote:lol
How dare you bump this and remind me of exams

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:37 pm

stratocophic wrote:
beach_terror wrote:lol
How dare you bump this and remind me of exams

It's my thread and I'll bump if I want to, bump if I want to, bump if I want to.. you'd bump too if you had a thread OPd by youuuuu

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:44 pm

Yeah Philly DAs office never even called me back. I guess that place is fairly competitive.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:45 pm

Round 2?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:49 pm

nooyyllib wrote:Round 2?

DING DING DING

Need a 3.8 to safely hit last years rumored law review cut off. LETS DO IT.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:50 pm

beach_terror wrote:

DING DING DING

I say 3.9 to be really safe. Doable? #SMH

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:52 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

DING DING DING

If it's the cutoff from last year, a 3.8 gives me a decent chunk of breathing room.

geekrocker37

Postby geekrocker37 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:53 pm

beach_terror wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

DING DING DING

If it's the cutoff from last year, a 3.8 gives me a decent chunk of breathing room.

What was that number by chance? 3.6?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”