1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
beach_terror

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby beach_terror » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:29 am

I overheard some girls in my section talking after my torts exam.

"Did you talk about loss of consortium?"
"Yeah!"

At my teachers office hours, she specifically told us not to speak about specific damage types or specific damages in our analysis. Basically, she told us just to say here there are damages because P hit her head due to D's negligence. I felt kinda bad for laughing to myself as I walked out.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:47 pm

beach_terror wrote:I overheard some girls in my section talking after my torts exam.

"Yeah!"

At my teachers office hours, she specifically told us not to speak about specific damage types or specific damages in our analysis. Basically, she told us just to say here there are damages because P hit her head due to D's negligence. I felt kinda bad for laughing to myself as I walked out.

I firmly believe that even the smartest people fall into this kind of trap under exam pressure. They see something that looks familiar or that they can talk about and run with it, even if it's contrary to instructions.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:20 pm

kalvano wrote:I firmly believe that even the smartest people fall into this kind of trap under exam pressure. They see something that looks familiar or that they can talk about and run with it, even if it's contrary to instructions.

Yep, I think even a lot of very smart people get caught up by things like this. On our property exam there was a question that was framed something like this:

Town X wants to acquire a strip of property for an economic development project. The details are blah blah blah. The state where X is located is subject to the following statute:

(Statutory Language)

Assume for the purposes of this question that the state complies with the statutory language. Are there any potential issues for the town's plan under the federal constitution?

A whole bunch of people were really happy after the exam that they remembered that states after Kelo passed laws restricting the power of eminent domain, and recognized the statutory language as being one of these types of laws. But the instructions clearly stated that we were to assume the statute was satisfied (probably to trip us up?) and to analyze it under the U.S. constitution. With only 300 words to answer each question, I think falling into this trap was probably devastating.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:16 am

kalvano wrote:
beach_terror wrote:I overheard some girls in my section talking after my torts exam.

"Yeah!"

I firmly believe that even the smartest people fall into this kind of trap under exam pressure. They see something that looks familiar or that they can talk about and run with it, even if it's contrary to instructions.

We didn't cover loss of consortium, so correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it a tort, not strictly a damage (punatitive, compensatory)?

stayway

Postby stayway » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:50 am

"Yeah!"

I was thinking about mentioning that briefly but it was too minor compared to all the issues that were present in the fact pattern.

Coulda been a point. Oh Well.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:05 am

quakeroats wrote:
kalvano wrote:

"Yeah!"

We didn't cover loss of consortium, so correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it a tort, not strictly a damage (punatitive, compensatory)?

Nope, it's a compensatory damage.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:14 am

delBarco wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
kalvano wrote:

"Yeah!"

Nope, it's a compensatory damage.

To keep this going without doing actual research:

Loss of consortium has been brought into the law as a cause of action by civil codes, for example, in Maine[1] or into the common law by action of justices. Other jurisdictions view loss of consortium as an element of damages, not as an independent cause of action; in which case the claim must be brought under another tort. As an example, in suits brought under Washington State's wrongful death statute, loss of consortium is an element of damages [2]. While some jurisdictions only recognize spousal consortium (usually considered as sex) others recognize parental consortium (love and affection) as well allowing children to recover for the death or disability of a parent and vice versa.
Last edited by quakeroats on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:21 am

quakeroats wrote:To keep this going without doing actual research:

/TLS

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:25 am

The longer break goes on, the more I'm convinced I'm going to be lucky to be at median.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:39 am

beach_terror wrote:The longer break goes on, the more I'm convinced I'm going to be lucky to be at median.

Onion

Postby Onion » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:45 am

beach_terror wrote:The longer break goes on, the more I'm convinced I'm going to be lucky to be at median.

This.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:20 pm

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:27 pm

Ayup.

Also, I keep having dreams about four-part balancing tests. Fuck law school.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:32 pm

clintonius wrote:Ayup.

Also, I keep having dreams about four-part balancing tests. Fuck law school.

i keep making numbered lists. fuck you, law school.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:39 pm

I haven't really stressed about grades, but do know that I need to take school more seriously next semester. There's nothing that can be done to improve my fall grades, so I plan to bust my ass in the spring.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:40 pm

Thirteen wrote:

I haven't really stressed about grades, but do know that I need to take school more seriously next semester. There's nothing that can be done to improve my fall grades, so I plan to bust my ass in the spring.

+1

uvahooo

Postby uvahooo » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:34 pm

Busted my ass. Felt good after most every exam.

No point in stressing now; it's already done.

Drinking a glass of wine now.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:40 pm

uvahooo wrote:Busted my ass. Felt good after most every exam.

No point in stressing now; it's already done.

Drinking a glass of wine now.

Varietal/Vintner/Vintage?

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:33 pm

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:27 am

as stars burn wrote:

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:32 am

Also, applying for summer jobs sucks. It'd be great if lawyers were in demand, then I wouldn't have to do jack shit.

There's an opening with the attorney general's office in Philadelphia, I'd kill to lock that down. I'm hopeful that grades only determine if you get paid or not, as they accept applications without transcripts. If not, my ex-gf knows a partner at a firm that's in my desired specialty, maybe that'll pan out. If all else fails, praying for the DA's office or research with a prof.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:43 am

beach_terror wrote:Also, applying for summer jobs sucks. It'd be great if lawyers were in demand, then I wouldn't have to do jack shit.

There's an opening with the attorney general's office in Philadelphia, I'd kill to lock that down. I'm hopeful that grades only determine if you get paid or not, as they accept applications without transcripts. If not, my ex-gf knows a partner at a firm that's in my desired specialty, maybe that'll pan out. If all else fails, praying for the DA's office or research with a prof.

I don't go to your school, but I go to one of the area schools. My career services counselor suggested the Philadelphia Law Department if you're interested in DA/prosecutor jobs (I don't think it's quite as competitive as the DA).

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:49 am

beach_terror wrote:Also, applying for summer jobs sucks. It'd be great if lawyers were in demand, then I wouldn't have to do jack shit.

don't forget about volunteering/pro bono work. I know it's not paid, but at least it's something to add to the resume. I'm really leaning toward public interest right now so I've managed to pick up two volunteering gigs that will make some nice additions to the resume. But yes, applying for summer jobs blows. I wish I knew people in the legal field. I guess I should do those informational interviews, eh?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:34 pm

Anyone mind recommending some contracts supplements? Based on another thread, I'm getting Gilbert's for property. I have no idea wtf is up with my conlaw class because we have a visiting prof, but I'm trying to sort out my supplements now.

Kalv, I remember you saying Acing Contracts was good (I think), should I grab it?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:47 pm

beach_terror wrote:Anyone mind recommending some contracts supplements? Based on another thread, I'm getting Gilbert's for property. I have no idea wtf is up with my conlaw class because we have a visiting prof, but I'm trying to sort out my supplements now.

Kalv, I remember you saying Acing Contracts was good (I think), should I grab it?

I used the Glannon Guide to Property. It was like $22 and excellent. I feel fairly sure it's the only reason I might have passed Property, since my professor likes to just make shit up.

For Contracts, I have an awesome professor who very clearly explains everything, so I don't really need supplements. But I did enjoy Concepts And Case Analysis in the Law of Contracts (the boat book). It's basic, but it helped reinforce some principles.

Edit - disclaimer: no grades back yet.
Last edited by kalvano on Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”