1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Sogui

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Sogui » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:49 pm

Our torts professor only started teaching torts last year.

It was "easy" last year.

This year's 9 short answer problems don't look hard either.

So we have 30 questions in about 3.5 hours, 29 of them are 2-4 sentence short answers. With 1 1-hour essay.

One one hand, only 9 practice short answers to practice on = not so worried about prep'ing.

On the other hand many of them are like "A kicked B in the chest during a boxing match", what would B's best argument against A be?

next question: What would B's best defense be to that argument?

next: How could A overcome B's defense against your claim?

The doubt about your answer multiplies each time. Is the best defense to argue for a "malice-based" standard of intent for battery? Or is it to argue that B had consented to a highly physical and dangerous sport, he profits off the violence, why should we shift harm?

Etc... some answers are clearer than others, but this "best argument" stuff is too arbitrary for me, some of the answers are just too close to call and there's nothing in the notes about which way we should go.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:53 pm

Sogui wrote:Our torts professor only started teaching torts last year.

It was "easy" last year.

This year's 9 short answer problems don't look hard either.

So we have 30 questions in about 3.5 hours, 29 of them are 2-4 sentence short answers. With 1 1-hour essay.

One one hand, only 9 practice short answers to practice on = not so worried about prep'ing.

On the other hand many of them are like "A kicked B in the chest during a boxing match", what would B's best argument against A be?

next question: What would B's best defense be to that argument?

next: How could A overcome B's defense against your claim?

The doubt about your answer multiplies each time. Is the best defense to argue for a "malice-based" standard of intent for battery? Or is it to argue that B had consented to a highly physical and dangerous sport, he profits off the violence, why should we shift harm?

Etc... some answers are clearer than others, but this "best argument" stuff is too arbitrary for me, some of the answers are just too close to call and there's nothing in the notes about which way we should go.

I fail to see how that's any different than what you'd do for a normal issue spotter. You don't have time to analyze every argument on both sides; usually you just parse out the best arguments, anyway.

EDIT: Also, I don't know your professor, but for the first question what would be wrong with saying that there are two strong courses of action? Perhaps B can argue that malice and excessive force is the appropriate construction in this case, or that a kick is outside the scope of what is consented in a boxing match?

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:26 pm

Yea let me clarify, professor wants the BEST (singular) answer.

Some cases aren't bad, like you said it's similar to an issue spotter.

But, some questions have two very good answers, on an issue spotter I would just include both. Yet here I must artificially exclude one or risk not getting credit at all. There is only one right answer too, the other "good" answer will still get most credit, but that -1 for not using the "best" defense means you just slid down the curve a little.

So naturally it's a little anxiety-inducing when you feel like you're flipping a coin for points.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:43 pm

torts? more like tttorts

amirite

goosey

Postby goosey » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:47 pm

beach_terror wrote:torts? more like tttorts

amirite

i am about to stop caring about law school and my career. I would actually enjoy housewifery...it wouldnt be the end of the world for me.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:48 pm

Gametime tomorrow for torts. Took every practice exam my professor has on file (which appear to be surprisingly consistent, thank god). I feel like I'm hitting the majority of points on the exam, but what scares me is the time constraint, plus the fact that our professor pretty much told us that she doesn't expect us to all be able to finish the whole thing in time. Makes me wonder what is more important: Going into a good analysis of all the relevant points and possible claims, or just getting all the points onto the page without extensive discussion so everything is at least on there. Given the checklist-style approach I feel like a torts exam would be graded by, something tells me to go with the latter, especially given the time constraint.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:48 pm

goosey wrote:
beach_terror wrote:torts? more like tttorts

amirite

i am about to stop caring about law school and my career. I would actually enjoy housewifery...it wouldnt be the end of the world for me.

Same...and I'm a guy :(

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:50 pm

dakatz wrote:Gametime tomorrow for torts. Took every practice exam my professor has on file (which appear to be surprisingly consistent, thank god). I feel like I'm hitting the majority of points on the exam, but what scares me is the time constraint, plus the fact that our professor pretty much told us that she doesn't expect us to all be able to finish the whole thing in time. Makes me wonder what is more important: Going into a good analysis of all the relevant points and possible claims, or just getting all the points onto the page without extensive discussion so everything is at least on there. Given the checklist-style approach I feel like a torts exam would be graded by, something tells me to go with the latter, especially given the time constraint.

Honestly, analysis is usually what gets you point. Spotting the issue and knowing the rule might get you a point or two, but there's probably at least double that in analysis which should only take an extra 2-3 sentences in most cases. I'm trying to analyze fully when I can, but I'm scrapping a lot of needless counterarguments in the favor of time.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:53 pm

beach_terror wrote:
dakatz wrote:Gametime tomorrow for torts. Took every practice exam my professor has on file (which appear to be surprisingly consistent, thank god). I feel like I'm hitting the majority of points on the exam, but what scares me is the time constraint, plus the fact that our professor pretty much told us that she doesn't expect us to all be able to finish the whole thing in time. Makes me wonder what is more important: Going into a good analysis of all the relevant points and possible claims, or just getting all the points onto the page without extensive discussion so everything is at least on there. Given the checklist-style approach I feel like a torts exam would be graded by, something tells me to go with the latter, especially given the time constraint.

Honestly, analysis is usually what gets you point. Spotting the issue and knowing the rule might get you a point or two, but there's probably at least double that in analysis which should only take an extra 2-3 sentences in most cases. I'm trying to analyze fully when I can, but I'm scrapping a lot of needless counterarguments in the favor of time.

Sounds like a smart balance. Make sure to get all the issues and arguments on the page, but don't belabor them with excessive "P will argue; D will counter, etc" on every point.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:27 pm

dakatz wrote:
Sounds like a smart balance. Make sure to get all the issues and arguments on the page, but don't belabor them with excessive "P will argue; D will counter, etc" on every point.

Lets hope so.

Also, proximate causation isn't that hard.

goosey

Postby goosey » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:13 pm

anyone have any good techniques to cram for torts?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:15 pm

goosey wrote:anyone have any good techniques to cram for torts?

Read and reread the E&E.. it's what I'm doing atm

goosey

Postby goosey » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:18 pm

beach_terror wrote:

im home and dont have the e&e, plus my professor is like, the king of torts [twerski--wrote the caebook] and he disagrees with every case and the trick to his exam is to be twerski jr. I doubt the e&e would help at all.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:20 pm

Just do practice exams. The concepts for torts are not that difficult, so unless you have policy questions or anything like that, I think the best way to prepare is to do some practice. Also, I made a one page checklist of causes of action/elements, defenses, and other little things that really helped on the real thing.

How is your exam structured?
Last edited by romothesavior on Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:21 pm

goosey wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

im home and dont have the e&e, plus my professor is like, the king of torts [twerski--wrote the caebook] and he disagrees with every case and the trick to his exam is to be twerski jr. I doubt the e&e would help at all.

Just do hypos then, there's a ton on the interwebs. They're fun and pass the time, and they help you realize what areas you need to work on.

goosey

Postby goosey » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:42 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Just do practice exams. The concepts for torts are not that difficult, so unless you have policy questions or anything like that, I think the best way to prepare is to do some practice. Also, I made a one page checklist of causes of action/elements, defenses, and other little things that really helped on the real thing.

either one giant hypo and a bunch of short answer, or two medium hypos and a bunch of short answers. The short answers are basically just "tell me exactly what I think" and Im not worried about them. I am worried about spotting and discussing issues on the essays because I just realized I dont know all the nuances by heart and its a closed book exam

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:10 pm

goosey wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

either one giant hypo and a bunch of short answer, or two medium hypos and a bunch of short answers. The short answers are basically just "tell me exactly what I think" and Im not worried about them. I am worried about spotting and discussing issues on the essays because I just realized I dont know all the nuances by heart and its a closed book exam

Practice, practice, practice. Even if you don't get all the little nuances, you likely won't need them. You need to work on spotting the causes of action and quickly running through the elements with an application of the law to the facts. Best way to learn to apply law to facts is to practice.

blerg

Postby blerg » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:21 pm

4 exams down & my last one is tomorrow.

FREEDOM. NOW. PLS.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:33 pm

DONE!! and each exam went progressively better than the last. Today's torts exam went surprisingly well (fingers crossed for an A). I budgeted my time pretty much perfectly and finished with about 5 min left on a 4 hr exam (3 hrs of essay, 1 hr multiple choice) and made almost all the points of discussion I wanted to make.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:38 pm

Stuff seems to be coming together for Wednesday's Civ Pro exam. Got a review session tonight, then it's back to flash cards and practice exams for 42 hours or so. Hoping I can actually pull this off.

stayway

Postby stayway » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:58 pm

I expect myself to be completely blacked out or partially blacked out by this time tomorrow.

Exam ends at 2 pm.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:08 pm

nooyyllib wrote:I expect myself to be completely blacked out or partially blacked out by this time tomorrow.

Exam ends at 2 pm.

I'll probably be fully blacked out in rage, I feel like I don't know jack shit for torts. I might just bring some tequila to the exam in case I manage to forget everything as soon as the exam starts.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:21 pm

This Civ Pro E&E is the best thing I have ever read!

stayway

Postby stayway » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:23 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:This Civ Pro E&E is the best thing I have ever read!

it's a delicious book

blerg

Postby blerg » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:26 pm

nooyyllib wrote:I expect myself to be completely blacked out or partially blacked out by this time tomorrow.

Exam ends at 2 pm.

I am expecting to be blacked out by 2 pm. Thank you 12:30 finish.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”