1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TigerBeer
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:00 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby TigerBeer » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:11 am

I'm dropping out if I do poorly (T10). So either way I win, I think.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby BruceWayne » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:20 am

TigerBeer wrote:I'm dropping out if I do poorly (T10). So either way I win, I think.


Why are you attending law school?

TigerBeer
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:00 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby TigerBeer » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:27 am

BruceWayne wrote:
TigerBeer wrote:I'm dropping out if I do poorly (T10). So either way I win, I think.


Why are you attending law school?


Big law or "good" fed govt. If I end up doing badly enough that I have no shot at either I don't think it's worth throwing more money into the pot.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby BruceWayne » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:33 am

TigerBeer wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
TigerBeer wrote:I'm dropping out if I do poorly (T10). So either way I win, I think.


Why are you attending law school?


Big law or "good" fed govt. If I end up doing badly enough that I have no shot at either I don't think it's worth throwing more money into the pot.


If you drop out you will already be down a sizable sum of money correct? On top of that, if the only way you are willing to be a lawyer is if you get an extremely prestigious job, you really should only attend HYS. Going to a top 10 means that if you network and hustle you will be able to get a decent job; just not necessarily one at Williams and Connolly or the appellate section of the Crim Division of DOJ. It sounds like you don't actually want to be a lawyer. In which case, even if you get Biglaw or a "good" fed govt. any law school is probably a bad idea.

TigerBeer
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:00 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby TigerBeer » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:42 am

BruceWayne wrote:
TigerBeer wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
TigerBeer wrote:I'm dropping out if I do poorly (T10). So either way I win, I think.


Why are you attending law school?


Big law or "good" fed govt. If I end up doing badly enough that I have no shot at either I don't think it's worth throwing more money into the pot.


If you drop out you will already be down a sizable sum of money correct? On top of that, if the only way you are willing to be a lawyer is if you get an extremely prestigious job, you really should only attend HYS. Going to a top 10 means that if you network and hustle you will be able to get a decent job; just not necessarily one at Williams and Connolly or the appellate section of the Crim Division of DOJ. It sounds like you don't actually want to be a lawyer. In which case, even if you get Biglaw or a "good" fed govt. any law school is probably a bad idea.


Well, it's a bit too late for that now.

Anyway, I don't feel like the type of thing I'm looking for is "extremely prestigious." I just want something that'll let me pay my loans back quickly. And yeah, I know what it means to be at a T10. The grades get you the interview, blah blah. I'm just saying, if I don't even have the grades to get the interview, then it's probably better to quit rather than throw good money after bad, no?

And no, I don't especially want to be a lawyer. But I want to be an accountant, actuary, financial analyst, or waiter even less, so.

User avatar
skoobily doobily
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:40 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby skoobily doobily » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:51 am

My newest motivation is making memes for every major subject I work through.


--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:00 pm

TigerBeer wrote:Anyway, I don't feel like the type of thing I'm looking for is "extremely prestigious." I just want something that'll let me pay my loans back quickly. And yeah, I know what it means to be at a T10. The grades get you the interview, blah blah. I'm just saying, if I don't even have the grades to get the interview, then it's probably better to quit rather than throw good money after bad, no?

You said you were looking for either biglaw or "good" fed work; either of those are going to be pretty prestigious. However, if you're willing to take anything that will let you pay your loans back, then it makes more sense for you to stay in law school than to drop out.

The reason for this is your school's LRAP which could pay your loans for you. All the T10 schools have one, but most of them limit your eligibility to actual legal employment. If you drop out and take a $40K/yr non-legal job, then LRAP won't help you. But if you stick it out and end up getting a $40K/yr legal job, then your school's LRAP should pay your student loans off for you. Sure, you won't be making much even after your loans are taken care of, but at least your loans aren't eating you alive anymore.

If you're actually interested in holding legal work long-term, even if it's not great or well-paying work, then it can make more sense to finish through to the end.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7237
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby beach_terror » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:06 pm

Currently sitting in the library trying to finish all the readings for the rest of the semester so I can kick it into 100% final prep mode. God damn internet is distracting though.

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Kretzy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:30 pm

2 outlines (Civ Pro/Torts) + Torts case list down. Crim starts today; Contracts whenever I get around to it.

18 days until I'm no longer a 1st quarter 1L. That's silly.

User avatar
jdubb990
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:16 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby jdubb990 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:17 pm

Classes are over, how many hours a day is everybody putting into studying? 7-9hrs solid efficient studying for me is about the max, after that I'm just so tired its kind of pointless unless I'm doing something that is mechanical like making flash cards.

User avatar
rowlf
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:55 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby rowlf » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:33 pm

To what extent is everyone incorporating rules/reasoning from dissents in their outlines? I'm not doing that much of this. Should I be? Thanks.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby IAFG » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:48 pm

rowlf wrote:To what extent is everyone incorporating rules/reasoning from dissents in their outlines? I'm not doing that much of this. Should I be? Thanks.

how much did your prof focus on it?

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7237
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby beach_terror » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:59 pm

rowlf wrote:To what extent is everyone incorporating rules/reasoning from dissents in their outlines? I'm not doing that much of this. Should I be? Thanks.

Depends on the class, case and topic. I find civ pro/crim dissents particularly useful for counterarguments. I don't pay much attention to torts dissents, and to be fair, the tort cases themselves. The E&E should be my fucking torts teacher.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:45 am

IAFG wrote:i hate everything and everyone and want to die.

User avatar
mbusch22
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby mbusch22 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:17 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
IAFG wrote:i hate everything and everyone and want to die.


+1

I laughed out loud at this.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:45 am

beach_terror wrote:
rowlf wrote:To what extent is everyone incorporating rules/reasoning from dissents in their outlines? I'm not doing that much of this. Should I be? Thanks.

Depends on the class, case and topic. I find civ pro/crim dissents particularly useful for counterarguments. I don't pay much attention to torts dissents, and to be fair, the tort cases themselves. The E&E should be my fucking torts teacher.

I want your Torts class. :(

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7237
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby beach_terror » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:43 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
IAFG wrote:i hate everything and everyone and want to die.

My fucking computer bluescreened, and I cannot for the life of me fix it. I have a partial backup, but I'm still going to lose a bunch of shit, namely my redone civ pro outline.

Oh yeah, it's my birthday. AWESOME

User avatar
bostonian
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:08 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby bostonian » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:37 pm

Image

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:47 pm

Do they make December 1 the date we can start applying for summer jobs just to make sure we all want to kill ourselves???

User avatar
Kiersten1985
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Kiersten1985 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:19 pm

skoobily doobily wrote:My newest motivation is making memes for every major subject I work through.


--ImageRemoved--


lol made my morning

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19653
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby dailygrind » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:17 pm

bostonian wrote:Image


seems kind of hard to do that by yourself. we might need to get together. i foresee mutual gains from trade in our future.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Borhas » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:43 pm

it's not about beating others, the only competition is against my own vices... what motivates me is the excellence I demand from myself, especially in my work since it's a representation of myself.

at least that's what I tell myself

User avatar
blerg
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:52 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby blerg » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:58 pm

The library is so empty today. You'd think it'd light the competitive fire under me, but it's just depressing.

uci2013
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:32 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby uci2013 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:39 pm

Kretzy wrote:2 outlines (Civ Pro/Torts) + Torts case list down. Crim starts today; Contracts whenever I get around to it.

18 days until I'm no longer a 1st quarter 1L. That's silly.


Just to clarify - you have 4 substantive courses on the quarter system??!! That is cruel.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:07 pm

Borhas wrote:it's not about beating others, the only competition is against my own vices... what motivates me is the excellence I demand from myself, especially in my work since it's a representation of myself.

at least that's what I tell myself

You are an incredible tool.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sr1986 and 3 guests