1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TigerBeer

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby TigerBeer » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:11 am

I'm dropping out if I do poorly (T10). So either way I win, I think.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:20 am

TigerBeer wrote:I'm dropping out if I do poorly (T10). So either way I win, I think.

Why are you attending law school?

TigerBeer

Postby TigerBeer » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:27 am

BruceWayne wrote:
TigerBeer wrote:I'm dropping out if I do poorly (T10). So either way I win, I think.

Big law or "good" fed govt. If I end up doing badly enough that I have no shot at either I don't think it's worth throwing more money into the pot.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:33 am

TigerBeer wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

Big law or "good" fed govt. If I end up doing badly enough that I have no shot at either I don't think it's worth throwing more money into the pot.

If you drop out you will already be down a sizable sum of money correct? On top of that, if the only way you are willing to be a lawyer is if you get an extremely prestigious job, you really should only attend HYS. Going to a top 10 means that if you network and hustle you will be able to get a decent job; just not necessarily one at Williams and Connolly or the appellate section of the Crim Division of DOJ. It sounds like you don't actually want to be a lawyer. In which case, even if you get Biglaw or a "good" fed govt. any law school is probably a bad idea.

TigerBeer

Postby TigerBeer » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:42 am

BruceWayne wrote:
TigerBeer wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

If you drop out you will already be down a sizable sum of money correct? On top of that, if the only way you are willing to be a lawyer is if you get an extremely prestigious job, you really should only attend HYS. Going to a top 10 means that if you network and hustle you will be able to get a decent job; just not necessarily one at Williams and Connolly or the appellate section of the Crim Division of DOJ. It sounds like you don't actually want to be a lawyer. In which case, even if you get Biglaw or a "good" fed govt. any law school is probably a bad idea.

Well, it's a bit too late for that now.

Anyway, I don't feel like the type of thing I'm looking for is "extremely prestigious." I just want something that'll let me pay my loans back quickly. And yeah, I know what it means to be at a T10. The grades get you the interview, blah blah. I'm just saying, if I don't even have the grades to get the interview, then it's probably better to quit rather than throw good money after bad, no?

And no, I don't especially want to be a lawyer. But I want to be an accountant, actuary, financial analyst, or waiter even less, so.

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:51 am

My newest motivation is making memes for every major subject I work through.

--ImageRemoved--

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:00 pm

TigerBeer wrote:Anyway, I don't feel like the type of thing I'm looking for is "extremely prestigious." I just want something that'll let me pay my loans back quickly. And yeah, I know what it means to be at a T10. The grades get you the interview, blah blah. I'm just saying, if I don't even have the grades to get the interview, then it's probably better to quit rather than throw good money after bad, no?

You said you were looking for either biglaw or "good" fed work; either of those are going to be pretty prestigious. However, if you're willing to take anything that will let you pay your loans back, then it makes more sense for you to stay in law school than to drop out.

The reason for this is your school's LRAP which could pay your loans for you. All the T10 schools have one, but most of them limit your eligibility to actual legal employment. If you drop out and take a $40K/yr non-legal job, then LRAP won't help you. But if you stick it out and end up getting a $40K/yr legal job, then your school's LRAP should pay your student loans off for you. Sure, you won't be making much even after your loans are taken care of, but at least your loans aren't eating you alive anymore.

If you're actually interested in holding legal work long-term, even if it's not great or well-paying work, then it can make more sense to finish through to the end.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:06 pm

Currently sitting in the library trying to finish all the readings for the rest of the semester so I can kick it into 100% final prep mode. God damn internet is distracting though.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:30 pm

2 outlines (Civ Pro/Torts) + Torts case list down. Crim starts today; Contracts whenever I get around to it.

18 days until I'm no longer a 1st quarter 1L. That's silly.

jdubb990

Postby jdubb990 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:17 pm

Classes are over, how many hours a day is everybody putting into studying? 7-9hrs solid efficient studying for me is about the max, after that I'm just so tired its kind of pointless unless I'm doing something that is mechanical like making flash cards.

rowlf

Postby rowlf » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:33 pm

To what extent is everyone incorporating rules/reasoning from dissents in their outlines? I'm not doing that much of this. Should I be? Thanks.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:48 pm

rowlf wrote:To what extent is everyone incorporating rules/reasoning from dissents in their outlines? I'm not doing that much of this. Should I be? Thanks.

how much did your prof focus on it?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:59 pm

rowlf wrote:To what extent is everyone incorporating rules/reasoning from dissents in their outlines? I'm not doing that much of this. Should I be? Thanks.

Depends on the class, case and topic. I find civ pro/crim dissents particularly useful for counterarguments. I don't pay much attention to torts dissents, and to be fair, the tort cases themselves. The E&E should be my fucking torts teacher.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:45 am

IAFG wrote:i hate everything and everyone and want to die.

mbusch22

Postby mbusch22 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:17 am

Holly Golightly wrote:

+1

I laughed out loud at this.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:45 am

beach_terror wrote:

Depends on the class, case and topic. I find civ pro/crim dissents particularly useful for counterarguments. I don't pay much attention to torts dissents, and to be fair, the tort cases themselves. The E&E should be my fucking torts teacher.

I want your Torts class. :(

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:43 am

Holly Golightly wrote:

My fucking computer bluescreened, and I cannot for the life of me fix it. I have a partial backup, but I'm still going to lose a bunch of shit, namely my redone civ pro outline.

Oh yeah, it's my birthday. AWESOME

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:37 pm

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:47 pm

Do they make December 1 the date we can start applying for summer jobs just to make sure we all want to kill ourselves???

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:19 pm

skoobily doobily wrote:My newest motivation is making memes for every major subject I work through.

--ImageRemoved--

lol made my morning

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:17 pm

bostonian wrote:Image

seems kind of hard to do that by yourself. we might need to get together. i foresee mutual gains from trade in our future.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:43 pm

it's not about beating others, the only competition is against my own vices... what motivates me is the excellence I demand from myself, especially in my work since it's a representation of myself.

at least that's what I tell myself

blerg

Postby blerg » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:58 pm

The library is so empty today. You'd think it'd light the competitive fire under me, but it's just depressing.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:39 pm

Kretzy wrote:2 outlines (Civ Pro/Torts) + Torts case list down. Crim starts today; Contracts whenever I get around to it.

18 days until I'm no longer a 1st quarter 1L. That's silly.

Just to clarify - you have 4 substantive courses on the quarter system??!! That is cruel.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:07 pm

Borhas wrote:it's not about beating others, the only competition is against my own vices... what motivates me is the excellence I demand from myself, especially in my work since it's a representation of myself.

at least that's what I tell myself

You are an incredible tool.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”