1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
beach_terror

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby beach_terror » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:31 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
goosey wrote: I seriously dont know how anybody can get through 1L single without getting laid.

FTFY

you are really at the brink huh?

I see many potential funny/ridiculous situations occurring on the eve of 21st

I'm past the brink. To quote the infinite wisdom of Young Joc: "It's goin down'

goosey: fixed this for you

stayway

Postby stayway » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:33 pm

beach_terror wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
goosey wrote: I seriously dont know how anybody can get through 1L single without getting laid.

FTFY

you are really at the brink huh?

I see many potential funny/ridiculous situations occurring on the eve of 21st

I'm past the brink. To quote the infinite wisdom of Young Joc: "It's goin down'

goosey: fixed this for you

I was just browsing the possible shot selections I could make on the 21st and then realized I could just do all of em.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:36 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
I was just browsing the possible shot selections I could make on the 21st and then realized I could just do all of em.

Tempted to try and refrain from shot taking in order to stay on prowl mode, but the likelihood of me exercising self-control when there is alcohol involved is non-existent.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:45 pm

One to go. Four hour conlaw exam with incredibly strict word limits and everybody being essentially done after 2.5 hours = expectations for a brutal, brutal curve. Bleh.

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:46 pm

Helmholtz wrote:One to go. Four hour conlaw exam with incredibly strict word limits and everybody being essentially done after 2.5 hours = expectations for a brutal, brutal curve. Bleh.

That sounds like about as much fun as poking yourself in the eye with a needle.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:48 pm

Baylan wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:One to go. Four hour conlaw exam with incredibly strict word limits and everybody being essentially done after 2.5 hours = expectations for a brutal, brutal curve. Bleh.

Everybody sat around for an hour and a half re-checking their answers and then when they got bored with that, they went through and did spelling/grammar checks. The 3.5 hour torts exam felt like it was done in fifteen minutes. The 4 hour conlaw exam felt like it took a day and a half.

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:54 pm

goosey wrote:
bostonian wrote:
goosey wrote: I seriously dont know how anybody can get through 1L single.

I haven't /self yet

I feel like law school is a very lonely experience, bc the only people that know what youre going through are your classmates---the rest of the outside world doesnt get it.

Yep. I have discovered this more than once. Being single sucks, but if it weren't for my friends here I probably would have dropped out about a month in.

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:58 pm

goosey wrote:I just wanted to be married so I could home to someone and be hugged :oops:
I feel like law school is a very lonely experience, bc the only people that know what youre going through are your classmates---the rest of the outside world doesnt get it.

I promise even a spouse doesn't get it. I am married and the only people in the world who understand what I am going through are on this message board and in classes with me. This is an experience unlike anything else I have ever experienced. No wonder lawyers are such a close knit group of folks. We go through hell to get there.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:04 pm

Dating a 2L ftw. All the understanding of a law student, half the stress of dating another 1L.

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:13 pm

IAFG wrote:Dating a 2L ftw. All the understanding of a law student, half the stress of dating another 1L.

and potential trophy husband/wife

wow. good looking out.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:15 pm

goosey wrote:
IAFG wrote:Dating a 2L ftw. All the understanding of a law student, half the stress of dating another 1L.

and potential trophy husband/wife

wow. good looking out.

Power couple.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:27 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Baylan wrote:

Everybody sat around for an hour and a half re-checking their answers and then when they got bored with that, they went through and did spelling/grammar checks. The 3.5 hour torts exam felt like it was done in fifteen minutes. The 4 hour conlaw exam felt like it took a day and a half.

yep...

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:47 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:I'm not even done with finals, BUT I'M DONE WITH CRIM!! THANK FUCKING GOD!

Hell yeah!!! Can't wait to file my book away in the bookshelf. Maybe I'll even have, like, a drink. Does beer expire?

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:51 pm

I watched a movie last night called Wake.

it was about this girl that goes to funerals whenever shes depressed. It was semi-interesting..until the end, when it got supremely dumb.

I wanted to watch precious, but it was too heavy for post-civ pro celebratory brain-waste

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:58 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Baylan wrote:

That is painful. Why even make the exam that long if there is no way to use the whole time... without tightening up the curve to hell and back

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:01 pm

evilxs wrote:
goosey wrote:I just wanted to be married so I could home to someone and be hugged :oops:

I promise even a spouse doesn't get it. I am married and the only people in the world who understand what I am going through are on this message board and in classes with me. This is an experience unlike anything else I have ever experienced. No wonder lawyers are such a close knit group of folks. We go through hell to get there.

I am convinced that 1L is some sort of dirty hazing ritual in order to bond us all together. My girlfriend doesn't get it. It was a source of a lot of fighting in the first month (and the last month) of the semester. The best way I've found to explain it to her, and anyone else that I've tried to explain it to is this: imagine that you're in a class with the same 100 people 15-20 hours a week, plus time in between classes. Now you're graded against how you do compared to all those people. And now those grades essentially determine your employment prospects and your career potential. Then tell me that I should go out and party instead of staying in on a Thursday night. Everything I've done this year has been with one of about three things in mind. 1. Good Grades 2. Keep Sane 3. Get a Summer Job.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:09 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:I'm not even done with finals, BUT I'M DONE WITH CRIM!! THANK FUCKING GOD!
Hell yeah!!! Can't wait to file my book away in the bookshelf. Maybe I'll even have, like, a drink. Does beer expire?
Yes. But drink it anyways.

How was your section's test? Ours was fucking brutal. I got worked. Trying not to think about it -- four days to study for a closed-book civ pro exam.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:37 am

goosey wrote:I seriously dont know how anybody can get through 1L single.

Consider yourself lucky that you didn't have to deal with a break-up in the middle of first semester 1L

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:38 am

clintonius wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:

How was your section's test? Ours was fucking brutal. I got worked. Trying not to think about it -- four days to study for a closed-book civ pro exam.

Our section was actually pretty moderate. Crim is my weakest subject (because I despise it) and even I felt confident about it. Doesn't mean I'll get a good grade, but it wasn't too hard. Also, closed-book Civ Pro? That's gotta suck.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:39 am

clintonius wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:

But food poisoning... or would that be alcohol poisoning?

Ours was okay. There's at least three other Section 5ers on here if they wanna weigh in. It was exceedingly similar to his past exams, for which I am thankful, but I also didn't see a ton of opportunities to distinguish oneself from the pack, so the curve might be a brutal. (Alternate options to the brutal curve conclusion are the "opportunities were there and I'm just a dunce" possibility and the opposite "I give the pack too much credit" theory, but my money's on brutal curve.)

Civ pro... closed book... how does that even work?? Do you each get like a Mac Mini to store part of your brain in? Or a Pensieve?

Edit: Haha you beat me to it with the weighing in!

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:45 am

ITT: NYU takes over the exam prep thread because they're the only TTT to have exams run into next week.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:47 am

GeePee wrote:ITT: NYU takes over the exam prep thread because they're the only TTT to have exams run into next week.

Don't hate cuz we're loving and social. Also, Michigan, I think.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:54 am

GeePee wrote:ITT: NYU takes over the exam prep thread because they're the only TTT to have exams run into next week.

Nah, not the only one. My misery endures until Monday afternoon.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:02 am

NYU really is doing us wrong with this Wednesday final.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:04 am

Brrrr. Wednesday is brutal. I think Monday is the last day at Fordham.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”