1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jdubb990

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby jdubb990 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:36 pm

We only have a short time left everybody! Almost done with 1st semester of law school! Make TLS proud and ball out on your exams!

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:35 am

Outlining K's right now. I fucking hate the two Gateway cases. Judge Easterbrook, you're an asshole.

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:39 am

TTH wrote:Outlining K's right now. I fucking hate the two Gateway cases. Judge Easterbrook, you're an asshole.

my teacher told me straight up "he's just wrong . . . and that's all there is to it" in so many words

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:46 am

skoobily doobily wrote:
TTH wrote:Outlining K's right now. I fucking hate the two Gateway cases. Judge Easterbrook, you're an asshole.

my teacher told me straight up "he's just wrong . . . and that's all there is to it" in so many words

My professor offered a defense of it on some law and economics horseshit, so we have to treat it as a jurisdictional split.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:02 am

TTH wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:

My professor offered a defense of it on some law and economics horseshit, so we have to treat it as a jurisdictional split.
LOL my K's professor is a UChi law and econ guy and even he didn't act like it was defensible

Postby 09042014 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:27 am

Easterbrook really fails big time in not distinguishing Hill from ProCD. Having the more terms inside the box is the entire reason it was allowed in the first place.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:37 am

In Ks, we just learned offer last week. 9 weeks of remedies to start the term. Thank goodness this is the class I've "kicked" in order to focus on doing well in my other 3 exams.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:01 am

Hai,

I hate outlining.

Bye.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:17 am

Justice Stevens,

I hate you for not breaking the 4-4 deadlock in both Asahi and Burnham. What's your effing problem man.

You're an asshole

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:17 am

beach_terror wrote:Justice Stevens,

I hate you for not breaking the 4-4 deadlock in both Asahi and Burnham. What's your effing problem man.

You're an asshole

On the bright side, this gives you good stuff to talk about on exams. Stream of commerce/distant third party suits and sufficiency of tag are interesting areas for discussion as well, because of the variation in hypotheticals where each seems fortuitous at times, but totally straightforward in others (hence why the court hasn't decided them).

BunkMoreland

Postby BunkMoreland » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:59 am

Having read this thread, it feels good to be a 2L with a job.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:14 pm

Kretzy wrote:In Ks, we just learned offer last week. 9 weeks of remedies to start the term. Thank goodness this is the class I've "kicked" in order to focus on doing well in my other 3 exams.
Ha, you guys using the Dawson book too, then?

goosey

Postby goosey » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:18 pm

some days I feel super-ready...other days I freak out.

Today I set up my rest-of-the-semester schedule and realized I'm in good shape [thank you tls for "outline from the beginning" advice]..I have 5-6 days before each final, and one take home, which I don't think I will need to prep very much for. What do you guys think about prepping for take homes? Aside from creating an MPC v Common Law chart and my outline itself, I don't think I'll be doing any more than reading it a few dozen times to make sure I know it well enough.

Will probably use reading period to prep for civ pro which is my first exam, and then the 5 days after civ pro I will devote all day, every day to torts, which is closed book. But yeah..I feel ready..and when I sit here and do brain-vomit onto word and just talk to myself about the law in each class, I realize I know a lot more off the top of my head than I thought.

Good day.
count on tomorrow to make me cry

Mroberts3

Postby Mroberts3 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:49 pm

I'm starting to regret my study habits this semester. I generally feel ok about my outlines and my grasp of the material/exams. However, I probably spent way too much time reading the casebook. It's frustrating because I came into 1L knowing from TLS not to get lost in the details. While I didn't case brief, reading the casebook and being prepared for class/understanding the discussion made me feel a false sense of security. I realize now that I should have been reading more supplements during the semester and outlining earlier.

Oh well, I generally feel like I'll be ready come December so things could be worse.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:55 pm

Mroberts3 wrote:I'm starting to regret my study habits this semester. I generally feel ok about my outlines and my grasp of the material/exams. However, I probably spent way too much time reading the casebook. It's frustrating because I came into 1L knowing from TLS not to get lost in the details. While I didn't case brief, reading the casebook and being prepared for class/understanding the discussion made me feel a false sense of security. I realize now that I should have been reading more supplements during the semester and outlining earlier.

Oh well, I generally feel like I'll be ready come December so things could be worse.

Personally, just starting in heavy with the supplements now. I feel like listening/over-prepping for class will end up being a benefit. Having a grasp of what your teacher thinks shouldn't be undervalued.

There was a subtle hint in my crim class this week that I'm sure 90% people missed in regard to a topic that'll be on the final. Now I know to really focus on understanding that topic.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:55 pm

double post, woops
Last edited by beach_terror on Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

R4NDM H3RO

Postby R4NDM H3RO » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:08 pm

Anyone going home/taking a break during Thanksgiving?

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:16 pm

beach_terror wrote:Justice Stevens,

You're an asshole

My thoughts exactly!

screwsandboalts

Postby screwsandboalts » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:30 pm

what are you guys doing for civpro? i have a pretty good outline thats almost up to date and ive looked/gone through the basic civpro supplements, but is there anything i haven't heard of/anything you guys have found particularly helpful for studying for exams?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:07 am

screwsandboalts wrote:what are you guys doing for civpro? i have a pretty good outline thats almost up to date and ive looked/gone through the basic civpro supplements, but is there anything i haven't heard of/anything you guys have found particularly helpful for studying for exams?

I feel pretty good about applying PJ, SMJ, and venue. I have no idea how my teacher is planning on testing choice of law or the rules though, ugh.

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:11 pm

screwsandboalts wrote:what are you guys doing for civpro? i have a pretty good outline thats almost up to date and ive looked/gone through the basic civpro supplements, but is there anything i haven't heard of/anything you guys have found particularly helpful for studying for exams?

making a table of all the rules...its helping cement the info into my head..I also have one column for cross-references which helps me tie the rules together. I like it. And if your exam is open book, I think this will be hugely helpful. On my crim midterm, my table of MPC v CL crimes got me through 90% of the exam--i only used my outline to make sure I wasn't missing nuances.

I think overall tables, flowcharts, etc will be much more useful in civ pro than an outline. I plan on taking each topic from my outline and turning it into a flow chart--the process will help learn the material, and more than that, it will be a quick reference on exam day...and the outline will just be a fallback.

solotee

Postby solotee » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:03 am

Goal tomorrow is to finish the rest of the readings for the semester: 120 pages of casebook material (fast reading). That should free up some time to exclusively focus on exam prep. Time to get pumped!

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:44 pm

solotee wrote:Goal tomorrow is to finish the rest of the readings for the semester: 120 pages of casebook material (fast reading). That should free up some time to exclusively focus on exam prep. Time to get pumped!

Probably going to do this over Thanksgiving break.

Feeling good about Civ Pro right now. Today's goal is to re-outline SMJ, supplemental and removal. Just finished up personal jurisdiction, kind of amazed how little sense it made to me in the first few weeks of class compared to rereading the material now.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:18 am

This next month is going to be one hell of an exercise in humility.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:03 am

beach_terror wrote:This next month is going to be one hell of an exercise in humility.

it'll be fine until the grades come out. in some ways, i can't wait to see some people taken down a notch, and i'd be happy to see others affirmed in my mind as the brilliant people i know them to be. in others...good god it's gonna suck if i do poorly.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”