1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
beach_terror

Platinum

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Post by beach_terror » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:54 am

kalvano wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Depends on your class. My teacher loved quotes, and I mean lovedddd quotes. So in my exam, if I was talking about Stevens/Powell from Shaffer, I'd quote their exact words.

Then for the rules, for Twombly/Iqbal I'd initially cite to 8(a)(2) (I think thats it) and then quote twombly's "plausibility" language.

Quotes?

That's rough.
I found it made me understand civ pro so much more though. It was a pain gathering them, but having a one page outline full of quotes about purposeful availment made analogizing so much easier.

She also told me about the quotes during office hours, and didn't ever say it in class, so sucks to be someone who didn't go to office hours.

beach_terror

Platinum

kalvano wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Depends on your class. My teacher loved quotes, and I mean lovedddd quotes. So in my exam, if I was talking about Stevens/Powell from Shaffer, I'd quote their exact words.

Then for the rules, for Twombly/Iqbal I'd initially cite to 8(a)(2) (I think thats it) and then quote twombly's "plausibility" language.

Quotes?

That's rough.
I found it made me understand civ pro so much more though. It was a pain gathering them, but having a one page outline full of quotes about purposeful availment made analogizing so much easier.

She also told me about the quotes during office hours, and didn't ever say it in class, so sucks to be someone who didn't go to office hours.

beach_terror

Platinum

kalvano wrote:

Quotes?

That's rough.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:56 am

beach_terror wrote:I found it made me understand civ pro so much more though.

X3.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:07 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rejectmaster

Bronze

Post by rejectmaster » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:07 pm

to all iterations of beach_terror

that sounds like it would work well on an uncapped exam

however we have a 3 hr exam capped at 3K words so i have to be parsimonious in applying authority so quotes will probably be avoided

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:17 pm

rejectmaster wrote:parsimonious
--ImageRemoved--
?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:18 pm

Can't even describe how disappointed I am in how my Ks exam went yesterday.

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:26 pm

my exams... I thought I did "well." i based my reaction with other people's reactions on the exam. I don't feel I bombed anything... nor do I feel like i aced anything.

I think that is strange...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:30 pm

I feel the same way uvahoo.

I guess everybody being used to getting good grades combined with none of us ever having taken a law school exam makes it really hard to gauge.

I could be convinced that I made anywhere from Cs to As

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:53 pm

Yeah, I really have no idea how my exams turned out. I felt pretty good about one of them and quite "meh" about the other two...but many of the people I talked to felt the same way. Thanks to the curve, it seems like how you "feel" about your exams doesn't really matter, unless you're absolutely sure that you really fucked things up or truly didn't know key parts of the material.

rejectmaster

Bronze

Post by rejectmaster » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:07 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Yeah, I really have no idea how my exams turned out. I felt pretty good about one of them and quite "meh" about the other two...but many of the people I talked to felt the same way. Thanks to the curve, it seems like how you "feel" about your exams doesn't really matter, unless you're absolutely sure that you really fucked things up or truly didn't know key parts of the material.
and even then - you might truly think you didn't know key parts of the material but made it appear that you did

mountaintime

Bronze

Post by mountaintime » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:11 pm

On my contracts exam, I forgot to mention the two most obvious cases for one of the hypos, but felt really good besides that hickup. :cry:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:18 pm

I feel okay about Ks, but that doesn't mean much because literally everyone in the class felt good about Ks. Mainly because he gives very similar exams each semester.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:34 pm

Oof, starting to feel bad for some of my peers. Some people analyzed subject-matter jurisdiction instead of personal jurisdiction for the first question of our exam. The question specifically said jurisdiction over D or their property :roll: ... 50 points down the drain right there. (how did question 2 not tip them off when it asked for 1332 or 1331 jurisdiction over the same claim). While its inevitable I missed some shit (maybe a bunch), I'm at least confident I can read questions properly.

kxz

New

Post by kxz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:05 pm

That's ok. Brings down the curve ;).

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:22 pm

God, I need a BLL for crim. If I had one, I'd be done studying.

Crim,

Die in a fire

beach

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:24 pm

Argh I need to motivate myself to study for torts but I'm having trouble blocking out the images of yesterday. Post-traumatic exams disorder, FTL.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:26 pm

beach_terror wrote:God, I need a BLL for crim. If I had one, I'd be done studying.

Crim,

Die in a fire

beach
LoL BLL will only help so much for crim since its she'll give statutes.

what a slut.

rsx

New

Post by rsx » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:34 pm

Dear beach terror,

I have a civ pro prof who also loves quotes. If there is any chance that you would be willing to share your outline of quotes I would be indebted to you forever.

Love
rsx

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:37 pm

PM me your email

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Melkaba

New

Post by Melkaba » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:42 pm

romothesavior wrote:Can't even describe how disappointed I am in how my Ks exam went yesterday.
Given some discussions with a couple of friends, I'm pretty sure that the exam blindsided everyone.

Doesn't help that I've been trying to study for Torts today (I could barely even do it yesterday after that final), but the combination of my brain almost running on E and me seemingly getting ill does not help things.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:49 pm

Melkaba wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Can't even describe how disappointed I am in how my Ks exam went yesterday.
Given some discussions with a couple of friends, I'm pretty sure that the exam blindsided everyone.

Doesn't help that I've been trying to study for Torts today (I could barely even do it yesterday after that final), but the combination of my brain almost running on E and me seemingly getting ill does not help things.
I hope so man (girl?)... I felt awful after yesterday and I would be really surprised if I got over median. I felt about the exact opposite as I did after property.

I also feel ya on the studying thing. I have barely touched torts, mostly because it feels useless now that Ks has likely molested my GPA.

Hope you get to feeling better. We're almost done...

ogurty

Bronze

Post by ogurty » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:56 pm

In the last few minutes of my crim exam, I was going over the (ridiculously difficult) MC section, because there were a few questions I had narrowed down to 2 possibilities. One of them, I marked C, and I realized C was obviously wrong. So, 1 minute left, I changed it to B. Then, walking out, I remembered that the question was one of those "which of these is NOT true ..."
Been kicking myself ever since..

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:02 pm

No energy to study for last exam. I was usually waking up around 7 or so to study for the other exams, but today I woke up at like 9, dicked around for a while, and then finally go to the coffee house to study (where I have been pretty unproductive - I'm just sitting here making flashcards from information in my outline for battery, assault, etc.). I still haven't even finished the outline for torts, and I really don't feel like doing it. To top it off, I think our professor expects us to be able to talk about some cases in our discussion, so I actually have to add that to my list of things to review.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”