1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
fathergoose

Silver

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Post by fathergoose » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:30 am

kalvano wrote:Did you catch question 2, I think it was, the toaster ad? And how it had an imprint of the guys signature in the ad?

That made me lol when I realized my sweet little RS 46 analysis didn't mean shit.
Haha yea I did with about 5 minutes left. Didn't even edit my 46 analysis just skipped a line threw a "however" in there and just blasted away until time was called

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:31 am

fathergoose wrote:
kalvano wrote:Did you catch question 2, I think it was, the toaster ad? And how it had an imprint of the guys signature in the ad?

That made me lol when I realized my sweet little RS 46 analysis didn't mean shit.
Haha yea I did with about 5 minutes left. Didn't even edit my 46 analysis just skipped a line threw a "however" in there and just blasted away until time was called

It was a 7 or 8 point question. I think he was looking for both, since he didn't explicitly say anything about sale of goods like he usually does.

I like that even he admits that, under exam time pressure, he would only get maybe 85% of the issues on a test he made.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:36 am

kalvano wrote:It was a 7 or 8 point question. I think he was looking for both, since he didn't explicitly say anything about sale of goods like he usually does.

I like that even he admits that, under exam time pressure, he would only get maybe 85% of the issues on a test he made.
Yea. He is actually a pretty cool dude. I've gone and shot the shit with him in his office before about economics stuff and I think he just really loves the intellectual process. No matter the subject.

And I was surprised that more people I talk to didn't catch how blatantly he pulled stuff from the old exams.

bostonian

Bronze

Post by bostonian » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:40 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
goosey wrote:
fathergoose wrote:
kalvano wrote:4 hour finals make my ass hurt. I can't decide if that's because the chair was uncomfortable or because I was violated.

However, praise be to the prof who plagiarizes his own past exams and provides you with model answers that you were allowed to take into the test.
FTMFW

I thought I was just having a really intense moment of deja vu. He barely changed anything.
:shock: :shock:

they actually do this???
http://abovethelaw.com/2009/12/visiting ... acts-exam/
If only he had done that today.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:42 am

just looked at our new curve and omg...A- and above grades must be a minimum of 20% of the class, max of 30%

so basically...top 30% can get A- :-o
it was like top 15% before this semester [they just changed it this sem]

how will this effect jobs?
will the fact that there is someone with a 3.7 gpa coming out of a T2 but ranking in the top 25% vs top 15% make a difference? good, bad, or no difference?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:48 am

fathergoose wrote:
kalvano wrote:It was a 7 or 8 point question. I think he was looking for both, since he didn't explicitly say anything about sale of goods like he usually does.

Yea. He is actually a pretty cool dude. I've gone and shot the shit with him in his office before about economics stuff and I think he just really loves the intellectual process. No matter the subject.

And I was surprised that more people I talk to didn't catch how blatantly he pulled stuff from the old exams.
He is the smartest guy I think I've ever met, no exaggeration.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:53 am

goosey wrote:just looked at our new curve and omg...A- and above grades must be a minimum of 20% of the class, max of 30%

will the fact that there is someone with a 3.7 gpa coming out of a T2 but ranking in the top 25% vs top 15% make a difference? good, bad, or no difference?
Geez. My school is still top 15% can get A's, then 60% can get B+, B, B-, leaving the rest to C and lower. Then again, once I get past mandatory 1L classes the curve changes to what you stated above. I can't think about this right now. I would LOVE to get a B+ or higher, but everyone else wants that too.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:57 am

as stars burn wrote:
goosey wrote:just looked at our new curve and omg...A- and above grades must be a minimum of 20% of the class, max of 30%

Geez. My school is still top 15% can get A's, then 60% can get B+, B, B-, leaving the rest to C and lower. Then again, once I get past mandatory 1L classes the curve changes to what you stated above. I can't think about this right now. I would LOVE to get a B+ or higher, but everyone else wants that too.

our curve doesnt change 2L...they said that the new curve is more reflective of what other law schools have, but i dont know. and basically..I just want to know how it changes my job prospects/chances at keeping my scholarship.

technically, if its easier for me to get an A, its easier for the rest of the class too...so to 33% is still top 33% right?

uci2013

Bronze

Post by uci2013 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:59 am

fathergoose wrote:
uci2013 wrote:Wow that would be against our honor code I think. Cool if your school allows that. Basic fill in the blanks, or at least pre-written rule explanations would have been nice.
I've wondered about this. Professor's give you old exams with questions and sometimes model answers and then let you have open note/open book exams which have the same issues, if not the same exact questions. How does that not violate an honor code in some sense?
I've only had modified open books so far where the book was allowed but no notes, but you have a good question. For those with take homes and access to all their notes, there is nothing to stop you from having practice exams in front of you. And I know my civ pro today had a near copycat essay from one of the practice exams.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:01 am

Pretty sure I will be getting Cs on any curve. FML

kxz

New

Post by kxz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:08 am

Just pray for the rest of your class to do worst.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:09 am

kxz wrote:Just pray for the rest of your class to do worst.
Jesus would not like that attitude.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:02 am

Sakura3210 wrote:
fathergoose wrote:
mths wrote:Good thing you're never going to have to deal with contracts again
at least not until next semester, when we have it again.
Ouch. Do not want. That said, I've got a 2nd course of Civ Pro.
Wait what? We're at the same school. How is this possible?

Also, T minus 28 minutes until Contracts. fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:33 am

Three hours until first exam. Having LSAT flashbacks.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:08 am

here at Tulane they just change the curve so that:

top35% A/A-
next 50% B+/B/B-
bottom 15% C+ or worse

...which leads us to wonder how many people will end up with a 4.0? seems like, theoretically, there could be a large number of people all tied for the number 1 spot.

not that it matter since I'll prob end up in the bottom 2% anyways

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:17 am

Damn, they're changing the curve on you guys?

rejectmaster

Bronze

Post by rejectmaster » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:20 am

can't study civ pro anymore

but also can't shake the feeling that i don't actually know anything

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:32 am

So glad CivPro is over. I ended up really liking the class when I was studying at the end... but the exam was a total beast. Feel good about some parts, feel lousy about others, but there's not all that much I can do now. I wrote a lot, but I'm pretty sure a good portion of what I wrote made little to no sense.

Only have Contracts left and I have no desire to study. I <3 that my prof decided to experiment with us by giving a ton of exams rather than a cumulative final.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:34 am

rejectmaster wrote:can't study civ pro anymore

but also can't shake the feeling that i don't actually know anything
I'd gladly study civ pro for you if you want to take this shit crim of my hands.

rejectmaster

Bronze

Post by rejectmaster » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:43 am

what do you guys recommend as a good authority balance for writing a civ pro exam? would you recommend using cases to articulate the rules (that seemed like the cases' purpose in class)? i'm only asking because the prof's memos for past exams don't mention any authority and include only assertions so i'm not sure exactly what he's looking for, and his response was "do what you think makes sense"

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:47 am

rejectmaster wrote:what do you guys recommend as a good authority balance for writing a civ pro exam? would you recommend using cases to articulate the rules (that seemed like the cases' purpose in class)? i'm only asking because the prof's memos for past exams don't mention any authority and include only assertions so i'm not sure exactly what he's looking for, and his response was "do what you think makes sense"
Use the rules, since they are the basis for everything.

Cite cases as necessary to clarify points of the rules.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rejectmaster

Bronze

Post by rejectmaster » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:48 am

word

good advice, thanks

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:50 am

Depends on your class. My teacher loved quotes, and I mean lovedddd quotes. So in my exam, if I was talking about Stevens/Powell from Shaffer, I'd quote their exact words.

Then for the rules, for Twombly/Iqbal I'd initially cite to 8(a)(2) (I think thats it) and then quote twombly's "plausibility" language.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:52 am

beach_terror wrote:Depends on your class. My teacher loved quotes, and I mean lovedddd quotes. So in my exam, if I was talking about Stevens/Powell from Shaffer, I'd quote their exact words.

Then for the rules, for Twombly/Iqbal I'd initially cite to 8(a)(2) (I think thats it) and then quote twombly's "plausibility" language.

Quotes?

That's rough.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:52 am

beach_terror wrote:Damn, they're changing the curve on you guys?
here, they changed it right before I matriculated. Which was great, since my schly package says I have to maintain a 3.0. 3.0 use to be the median and now the median is at about 3.25. Meaning, I have to be in like the top65% to keep it. Win?

goosey, did your's change before you matriculated or after?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”