1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby as stars burn » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:55 am

fathergoose wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Eff torts.

It has to be better than the other four we had. It just seems like my life has been one long library session since we got our memo in November. I just want to get through torts and then move into the bar.


+1. I want to drink enough to forget my name after my torts final. Holy God. I'm just so exhausted.

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby goosey » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:02 am

uci2013 wrote:
goosey wrote:how many things is too much to have with you on test day...this is what im looking at right now


7. a 60 pg document of pre-written answers [will get binding or ill go crazy]


Wow that would be against our honor code I think. Cool if your school allows that. Basic fill in the blanks, or at least pre-written rule explanations would have been nice.



your school doesnt allow you to write out the rules in paragraph form? how would that be any different than an outline with good grammar?

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby fathergoose » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:04 am

as stars burn wrote:+1. I want to drink enough to forget my name after my torts final. Holy God. I'm just so exhausted.


I miss the naive days of september when I thought this was going to be a breeze. It may be hard for everyone else but it was going to be easy for me. I was different.

I want to go punch that guy in the nuts.

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby goosey » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:05 am

fathergoose wrote:
as stars burn wrote:+1. I want to drink enough to forget my name after my torts final. Holy God. I'm just so exhausted.


I miss the naive days of september when I thought this was going to be a breeze. It may be hard for everyone else but it was going to be easy for me. I was different.



+1

"as long as I do the work all semester..." :roll:

kxz
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby kxz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:08 am

Ravens win! Back to studying now. . .

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby fathergoose » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:09 am

goosey wrote:"as long as I do the work all semester..." :roll:


Why doesn't someone just tell us at the beginning of a semester, find the best 2L outline for the same professor that you can, eat sleep and drink that outline for three months, know it inside out and backwards, and then just do every practice exam from your prof you can physically get your hands on.

Oh and if you have time, read for class.

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby fathergoose » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:10 am

kxz wrote:Ravens win! Back to studying now. . .

Houston snatches defeat from the jaws of victory yet again. At least Foster got enough points for me to win my FF playoff game.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:11 am

as stars burn wrote:
fathergoose wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Eff torts.

It has to be better than the other four we had. It just seems like my life has been one long library session since we got our memo in November. I just want to get through torts and then move into the bar.


+1. I want to drink enough to forget my name after my torts final. Holy God. I'm just so exhausted.

That is EXACTLY what I plan on doing after my Torts final.

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby goosey » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:13 am

fathergoose wrote:
goosey wrote:"as long as I do the work all semester..." :roll:


Why doesn't someone just tell us at the beginning of a semester, find the best 2L outline for the same professor that you can, eat sleep and drink that outline for three months, know it inside out and backwards, and then just do every practice exam from your prof you can physically get your hands on.

Oh and if you have time, read for class.


I think I disagree with that.

I am REALLY glad I did everything I did all semester, but I was caught off-gaurd with how difficult finals time is, despite all that work.

I dont even want to imagine what it would have been like without all that work. And its hard to know what the best outline is for the class without knowing whats correct/incorrect, which you cant at the beginning of the semester. I had 3 outlines from my torts professor...and all 3 had blatant errors on them in one place or another. I would never trust somebody else's outlines

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby fathergoose » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:16 am

Interesting. I guess I was lucky. Got a hold of great outlines early in the semester. I certainly did all the readings from the casebooks and supplements, edited the outlines as I saw fit, but I did it on my time frame and in big chunks so I could see the big picture. I tried recover the readings to be prepared for class but that went out the window in October.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby kalvano » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:18 am

4 hour finals make my ass hurt. I can't decide if that's because the chair was uncomfortable or because I was violated.

However, praise be to the prof who plagiarizes his own past exams and provides you with model answers that you were allowed to take into the test.

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby fathergoose » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:20 am

kalvano wrote:4 hour finals make my ass hurt. I can't decide if that's because the chair was uncomfortable or because I was violated.

However, praise be to the prof who plagiarizes his own past exams and provides you with model answers that you were allowed to take into the test.

FTMFW

I thought I was just having a really intense moment of deja vu. He barely changed anything.

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby goosey » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:21 am

fathergoose wrote:
kalvano wrote:4 hour finals make my ass hurt. I can't decide if that's because the chair was uncomfortable or because I was violated.

However, praise be to the prof who plagiarizes his own past exams and provides you with model answers that you were allowed to take into the test.

FTMFW

I thought I was just having a really intense moment of deja vu. He barely changed anything.

:shock: :shock:

they actually do this???

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby JCougar » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:22 am

fathergoose wrote:
goosey wrote:"as long as I do the work all semester..." :roll:


Why doesn't someone just tell us at the beginning of a semester, find the best 2L outline for the same professor that you can, eat sleep and drink that outline for three months, know it inside out and backwards, and then just do every practice exam from your prof you can physically get your hands on.

Oh and if you have time, read for class.


I think reading the cases actually really helped me apply rules to a factual situation. I don't think I would have understood everything if I had just worked from an outline/E&E.

I didn't waste time briefing, but reading the casebook really a) helped me memorize the rules, and b) helped me put them into context.
Last edited by JCougar on Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby kalvano » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:22 am

fathergoose wrote:
kalvano wrote:4 hour finals make my ass hurt. I can't decide if that's because the chair was uncomfortable or because I was violated.

However, praise be to the prof who plagiarizes his own past exams and provides you with model answers that you were allowed to take into the test.

FTMFW

I thought I was just having a really intense moment of deja vu. He barely changed anything.


I didn't notice until the guy called 10 minutes, and I had a "oh wait" moment. Grabbed that book and started throwing in some extra "howevers". Too bad all the questions weren't pulled directly like that.

I know I completely got destroyed by the "implied promise" question. Aside from that, cautiously optimistic about my "B".

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby kalvano » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:23 am

goosey wrote:
fathergoose wrote:
kalvano wrote:4 hour finals make my ass hurt. I can't decide if that's because the chair was uncomfortable or because I was violated.

However, praise be to the prof who plagiarizes his own past exams and provides you with model answers that you were allowed to take into the test.

FTMFW

I thought I was just having a really intense moment of deja vu. He barely changed anything.

:shock: :shock:

they actually do this???



Damn near word for word. Only changed the party's names and a couple of points.

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby fathergoose » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:23 am

goosey wrote:they actually do this???


To be fair it was a 6 essay 4 hour exam and I think he just threw it in as a freebie to all the students who actually went through the old exams.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby kalvano » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:24 am

JCougar wrote:
fathergoose wrote:
goosey wrote:"as long as I do the work all semester..." :roll:


Why doesn't someone just tell us at the beginning of a semester, find the best 2L outline for the same professor that you can, eat sleep and drink that outline for three months, know it inside out and backwards, and then just do every practice exam from your prof you can physically get your hands on.

Oh and if you have time, read for class.


I think reading the cases actually really helped me apply rules to a factual situation. I don't think I would have understood everything if I had just worked from an outline/E&E.

I didn't waste time briefing, but reading the casebook really a) helped me memorize the rules, and b) helped me put them into context.


Reading the cases is beneficial because professors are lazy and tend to pull facts directly from cases. Especially in multiple choice.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:25 am

goosey wrote:
fathergoose wrote:
kalvano wrote:4 hour finals make my ass hurt. I can't decide if that's because the chair was uncomfortable or because I was violated.

However, praise be to the prof who plagiarizes his own past exams and provides you with model answers that you were allowed to take into the test.

FTMFW

I thought I was just having a really intense moment of deja vu. He barely changed anything.

:shock: :shock:

they actually do this???

http://abovethelaw.com/2009/12/visiting-professor-at-nyu-makes-a-mess-of-1l-contracts-exam/

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby fathergoose » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:25 am

kalvano wrote:I didn't notice until the guy called 10 minutes, and I had a "oh wait" moment. Grabbed that book and started throwing in some extra "howevers". Too bad all the questions weren't pulled directly like that.

I know I completely got destroyed by the "implied promise" question. Aside from that, cautiously optimistic about my "B".

Ah that was the one I skipped and kept for the end. I just danced around actually answering it and just threw all the canned rules I had it hoping to pick up some low hanging partial credit.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby kalvano » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:26 am

fathergoose wrote:
goosey wrote:they actually do this???


To be fair it was a 6 essay 4 hour exam and I think he just threw it in as a freebie to all the students who actually went through the old exams.


Did you catch question 2, I think it was, the toaster ad? And how it had an imprint of the guys signature in the ad?

That made me lol when I realized my sweet little RS 46 analysis didn't mean shit.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:27 am

kalvano wrote:I didn't notice until the guy called 10 minutes, and I had a "oh wait" moment. Grabbed that book and started throwing in some extra "howevers". Too bad all the questions weren't pulled directly like that.

I know I completely got destroyed by the "implied promise" question. Aside from that, cautiously optimistic about my "B".

Not trying to be a bitch, genuinely curious: is a B a good grade at your school?

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby JCougar » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:28 am

kalvano wrote:
JCougar wrote:
fathergoose wrote:
goosey wrote:"as long as I do the work all semester..." :roll:


Why doesn't someone just tell us at the beginning of a semester, find the best 2L outline for the same professor that you can, eat sleep and drink that outline for three months, know it inside out and backwards, and then just do every practice exam from your prof you can physically get your hands on.

Oh and if you have time, read for class.


I think reading the cases actually really helped me apply rules to a factual situation. I don't think I would have understood everything if I had just worked from an outline/E&E.

I didn't waste time briefing, but reading the casebook really a) helped me memorize the rules, and b) helped me put them into context.


Reading the cases is beneficial because professors are lazy and tend to pull facts directly from cases. Especially in multiple choice.


I saw quite a few fact patterns that either completely or nearly matched up with the cases we read. One of them was kind of tricky, though, because the situation was exactly the same as one of our cases, but the facts were changed around just enough so that a totally different rule applied.

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby goosey » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:28 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
kalvano wrote:I didn't notice until the guy called 10 minutes, and I had a "oh wait" moment. Grabbed that book and started throwing in some extra "howevers". Too bad all the questions weren't pulled directly like that.

I know I completely got destroyed by the "implied promise" question. Aside from that, cautiously optimistic about my "B".

Not trying to be a bitch, genuinely curious: is a B a good grade at your school?



yeah, B is below median at my school. a B would make me /self

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby kalvano » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:29 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
kalvano wrote:I didn't notice until the guy called 10 minutes, and I had a "oh wait" moment. Grabbed that book and started throwing in some extra "howevers". Too bad all the questions weren't pulled directly like that.

I know I completely got destroyed by the "implied promise" question. Aside from that, cautiously optimistic about my "B".

Not trying to be a bitch, genuinely curious: is a B a good grade at your school?


It's a "B" curve, I believe. But a pretty hard one...I don't think they give out many "A"s. I might be mistaken as I haven't paid much attention to the curve and such. I figure worrying about it won't help me study or change the grades I get.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rockosmodernlife, shineoncrazydiamond, TheSpanishMain, Yahoo [Bot] and 14 guests