1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7241
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby beach_terror » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:24 pm

JCougar wrote:
rejectmaster wrote:i don't want to presume that anyone is writing bullshit

but maybe the additional writing is "unnecessary" or "superfluous" - like, its still valid; though it doesn't really contribute anything to the answer, there's no reason not to include it if you have time.

that's how i comfort myself without resorting to the self-help technique of degrading others' work


Superfluous is probably a better word, but I like to think of it as bullshit because it makes it easier for me to avoid it during exams. Not trying to degrade anyone...

If there was an emoticon that could flip you the bird right now..

Omerta
Posts: 381
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Omerta » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:25 pm

emorystud2010 wrote:All i have left is leg-reg. I need this thread to actually motivate me (and all other emory ppl) to study.


Nobody knows wtf is going on in LegReg. Half the people I talked to said they hadn't written an outline and weren't planning to (they're probably lying). There will be 5-10 people who think they are the next administrative law genius and study their balls off. Getting above them will be hard, getting just below them will be relatively easy because nobody else is putting much effort into preparing for the class. In terms of returns/effort, legreg studying will have a huge payoff.

I can't tell for the life of me how Contracts went today... super straightforward exam. No sneaky issues; I'm really worried about the curve. I feel like it was impossible to distinguish myself.

User avatar
skoobily doobily
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:40 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby skoobily doobily » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:29 pm

Omerta wrote:
emorystud2010 wrote:All i have left is leg-reg. I need this thread to actually motivate me (and all other emory ppl) to study.


Nobody knows wtf is going on in LegReg. Half the people I talked to said they hadn't written an outline and weren't planning to (they're probably lying). There will be 5-10 people who think they are the next administrative law genius and study their balls off. Getting above them will be hard, getting just below them will be relatively easy because nobody else is putting much effort into preparing for the class. In terms of returns/effort, legreg studying will have a huge payoff.

I can't tell for the life of me how Contracts went today... super straightforward exam. No sneaky issues; I'm really worried about the curve. I feel like it was impossible to distinguish myself.


I told myself I would study leg reg tonight. I didn't sleep last night, moved to the UG library when the LS library closed and then back to LS when the sun rose. I may or may not die before I get a chance to pass leg reg.

rejectmaster
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:20 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby rejectmaster » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:30 pm

what is legreg!?!?!

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7241
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby beach_terror » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:32 pm

rejectmaster wrote:what is legreg!?!?!

Presumably legal research.

User avatar
grrrstick
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:58 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby grrrstick » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:32 pm

So glad torts is over soon.

If I intentionally and with some malice cause someone to apprehend physical harm, but that apprehension is clearly unreasonable, and they run away into a street and are struck by a car as a result, what intentional torts am I liable for?

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby JCougar » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:39 pm

I only have one exam left, and it's Torts. And I despise torts. I've got 2.5 days to learn to love it, I guess.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby traehekat » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:39 pm

Just got crushed by Contracts. We had a 75 min issue spotter followed by 2 1/2 hour multiple choice section. We had a break in between the two and when were told to stop typing/writing for the issue spotter, everyone just looked up and was like, "What the fuck was that shit?"

I feel pretty bad about that exam, but I honestly can't see how anyone would feel that GOOD about it, so... yeah. On to the next one.

Omerta
Posts: 381
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Omerta » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:48 pm

beach_terror wrote:
rejectmaster wrote:what is legreg!?!?!

Presumably legal research.



Legislation and Regulation. 2 credit baby's first admin law course.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7241
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby beach_terror » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:54 pm

Dear god, civil procedure is infinitely more interesting that crim law.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby 09042014 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:55 pm

I got fucking owned on Contracts today. I ran out of time on the damages section and had to fucking hurry. Yikes. My only hope is that everyone thought it was hard.

rejectmaster
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:20 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby rejectmaster » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:56 pm

beach_terror wrote:Dear god, civil procedure is infinitely more interesting that crim law.


crim law is definitely the most straightforward

and the only one of my current subjects i knew existed before law school (other than torts, i guess.. but i would never have been able to tell you what a "tort" is)

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7241
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby beach_terror » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:01 pm

rejectmaster wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Dear god, civil procedure is infinitely more interesting that crim law.


crim law is definitely the most straightforward

and the only one of my current subjects i knew existed before law school (other than torts, i guess.. but i would never have been able to tell you what a "tort" is)

Dunno man, a test for 1332 jurisdiction seems infinitely more straightforward than a premeditation/deliberation forumla, IMO.

rejectmaster
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:20 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby rejectmaster » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:02 pm

people who took totally open book civ pro exams -

should i even bother bringing my "rules supplement" (presuming the rules i need ot know are in my outline)

seems like another piece of garbage to waste time looking through

User avatar
Mroberts3
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:10 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Mroberts3 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:04 pm

rejectmaster wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Dear god, civil procedure is infinitely more interesting that crim law.


crim law is definitely the most straightforward

and the only one of my current subjects i knew existed before law school (other than torts, i guess.. but i would never have been able to tell you what a "tort" is)


Not taking crim this semester but I can still say with 100% certainty that it is better than civ pro. Civ pro needs to die a horrible death. The day I care about rule 19a2(A)#ii$7& (why is the capital letter lower in the outline anyway?) is the day I wish I would die a horrible death.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7241
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby beach_terror » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:05 pm

rejectmaster wrote:people who took totally open book civ pro exams -

should i even bother bringing my "rules supplement" (presuming the rules i need ot know are in my outline)

seems like another piece of garbage to waste time looking through

I used it briefly today to just double check timings on 12(b)(6) 12(c) 50 and 56 motions. It can't hurt, you might as well.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7241
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby beach_terror » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:06 pm

Mroberts3 wrote:
rejectmaster wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Dear god, civil procedure is infinitely more interesting that crim law.


crim law is definitely the most straightforward

and the only one of my current subjects i knew existed before law school (other than torts, i guess.. but i would never have been able to tell you what a "tort" is)


Not taking crim this semester but I can still say with 100% certainty that it is better than civ pro. Civ pro needs to die a horrible death. The day I care about rule 19a2(A)#ii$7& (why is the capital letter lower in the outline anyway?) is the day I wish I would die a horrible death.

I loved civil procedure :oops:

rejectmaster
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:20 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby rejectmaster » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:06 pm

beach_terror wrote:
rejectmaster wrote:people who took totally open book civ pro exams -

should i even bother bringing my "rules supplement" (presuming the rules i need ot know are in my outline)

seems like another piece of garbage to waste time looking through

I used it briefly today to just double check timings on 12(b)(6) 12(c) 50 and 56 motions. It can't hurt, you might as well.


did you have a full year or 1 semester civ pro class

User avatar
Mroberts3
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:10 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Mroberts3 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:08 pm

I'm just bitter because I felt prepared for K and Torts because the exams were exactly like old exams so I felt good. Civ Pro is whole new format with nothing to go on so I have no idea what to expect.

Also because we learned all the rules but spent no time putting them all together so I know civ pro, and I don't know civ pro.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7241
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby beach_terror » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:09 pm

rejectmaster wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
rejectmaster wrote:people who took totally open book civ pro exams -

should i even bother bringing my "rules supplement" (presuming the rules i need ot know are in my outline)

seems like another piece of garbage to waste time looking through

I used it briefly today to just double check timings on 12(b)(6) 12(c) 50 and 56 motions. It can't hurt, you might as well.


did you have a full year or 1 semester civ pro class

Just a semester, had my final today.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19658
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby dailygrind » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I got fucking owned on Contracts today. I ran out of time on the damages section and had to fucking hurry. Yikes. My only hope is that everyone thought it was hard.


i had the opposite problem. i ran out of things to say with 20 minutes on the clock and started rehashing half dead issues. pretty sure i missed something huge. not feeling good about that.

User avatar
Gamecubesupreme
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:17 pm

I feel like I've missed something big for all three of my exams.

I'm talking about potential grade-changer type of big.

Is this a normal feeling?
Last edited by Gamecubesupreme on Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rejectmaster
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:20 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby rejectmaster » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:19 pm

beach_terror wrote:
rejectmaster wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
rejectmaster wrote:people who took totally open book civ pro exams -

should i even bother bringing my "rules supplement" (presuming the rules i need ot know are in my outline)

seems like another piece of garbage to waste time looking through

I used it briefly today to just double check timings on 12(b)(6) 12(c) 50 and 56 motions. It can't hurt, you might as well.


did you have a full year or 1 semester civ pro class

Just a semester, had my final today.



ok

ours is a full year but we have a final at the end of each sememester (though i'm not sure if this one's actually a final) so figure we have done half as much as you have.. we've basically only done jurisdiction, diversity, and a handful of motions (we are well behind the other classes) so that means, i guess, that we've covered a fraction of the rules you have

rejectmaster
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:20 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby rejectmaster » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:34 pm

also this is really tangential but i decided to check out the job board to see what i will soon (not) be qualified to apply to

and there are a lot of 1L summer patent/IP jobs requiring a "technical" background. i studied math/chemistry in college. good to go, right?

MINUS

"we require a technical background, in any engineering field, physics, or computer science"


LICK MY BUTTHOLE

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby mths » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:40 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I got fucking owned on Contracts today. I ran out of time on the damages section and had to fucking hurry. Yikes. My only hope is that everyone thought it was hard.

Go make yourself feel better by judging people in the SF thread




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fosterman90, lovesthelaw, StaviTavi1290 and 13 guests