1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
PirateCap'n

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby PirateCap'n » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:28 am

MBZags wrote:I'm jealous that you guys have open-note exams. Everything is on lockdown for me.

Same here. 4 exams and all are/were closed book and note. It was horrible for contracts and it going to be REALLY bad for Civ. Pro.

ReesesPieces15

Postby ReesesPieces15 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:30 am

PirateCap'n wrote:
MBZags wrote:I'm jealous that you guys have open-note exams. Everything is on lockdown for me.

Same here. 4 exams and all are/were closed book and note. It was horrible for contracts and it going to be REALLY bad for Civ. Pro.

Contracts and Civ pro is closed for me...I just keep reminding myself that everyone else has no notes either :-)

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:42 am

ReesesPieces15 wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

Contracts and Civ pro is closed for me...I just keep reminding myself that everyone else has no notes either :-)

What really bothers me about it is that it punishes folks for not being able to memorize well as opposed to not being able to apply the law to the facts. It would actually be more "fair" if everyone had notes/books. I can apply the law to the facts when I have the law with me, but my memory just isn't that great for being able to recall every single little detail that the professor mentioned. (For practical purposes, I don't intend to do much litigation, so it's not like I'm going to have to be pulling stuff out of thin air without being able to look it up). Thus, I would prefer that everyone were put on equal footing and given a chance to apply the law to fact as opposed to being rewarded for who memorizes best. But, life ain't fair, so I guess I can just deal with it. /semi-rant

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:50 am

ready to dominate Ks...just want this week over with already...

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:52 am

bostonian wrote:

I would fail all of my exams if they were like that.

On the bright side, we don't have to cite case names on any of them.

goosey

Postby goosey » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:09 am

PirateCap'n wrote:
ReesesPieces15 wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

What really bothers me about it is that it punishes folks for not being able to memorize well as opposed to not being able to apply the law to the facts. It would actually be more "fair" if everyone had notes/books. I can apply the law to the facts when I have the law with me, but my memory just isn't that great for being able to recall every single little detail that the professor mentioned. (For practical purposes, I don't intend to do much litigation, so it's not like I'm going to have to be pulling stuff out of thin air without being able to look it up). Thus, I would prefer that everyone were put on equal footing and given a chance to apply the law to fact as opposed to being rewarded for who memorizes best. But, life ain't fair, so I guess I can just deal with it. /semi-rant

I think it evens out in a sense because everyone is in the same boat---yeah, some people may be able to memorize better, but spitting out what they memorized wont help them much. On the other hand, if you have done a ton of practice exams and practiced applying the law to the facts, then those principles will be pretty well-hammered into your brain..and even if you cant regurgitate the exact rule number, I think if you simply discuss it with an obvious grasp of the material, the fact that you dont know the exact rule number won't matter much

kxz

Postby kxz » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:10 am

Why am I studying on a Saturday night? Fml

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:19 am

just watched house, which will be my last break between now and Friday till 5pm. then blackout is a reasonable certainty.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:43 am

kxz wrote:Why am I studying on a Saturday night? Fml

Same question I asked myself . . . I'm going to be studying until about 3, then I'm waking up at 8 to continue. I'm beginning to realize the implications of my success (or failure) on these exams.

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:52 am

I've been a little too calm about this whole exam process.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:14 am

I have the prettiest contracts outline EVER.

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:15 am

Holly Golightly wrote:I have the prettiest contracts outline EVER.

Screw. Contracts.

kxz

Postby kxz » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:17 am

I have pretty tabs!

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:21 am

I printed mine out a few hours ago and just beamed with confidence as I looked over how beautiful it is.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:25 am

Charles Barkley wrote:

Screw. Contracts.

Agreeeeeeeeeeeeeed

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:25 am

Stanford4Me wrote:

I printed mine out a few hours ago and just beamed with confidence as I looked over how beautiful it is.

lol, mine is utter shit, but at least it's pretty.

kxz

Postby kxz » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:33 am

Prettiness can only go so far.

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:52 am

I think contracts is starting to click for me. I've always understood the information. I've just struggled applying it to my professors practice problems.

I think the main reason for the improvement is the use of a checklist, which everyone on here recommends, but I had never done in contracts before.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:54 am

Charles Barkley wrote:I think contracts is starting to click for me. I've always understood the information. I've just struggled applying it to my professors practice problems.

I think the main reason for the improvement is the use of a checklist, which everyone on here recommends, but I had never done in contracts before.

Checklists for contracts is where it's at. I think it saved me from the bottom 5% grade I deserve.

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:58 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
Charles Barkley wrote:I think contracts is starting to click for me. I've always understood the information. I've just struggled applying it to my professors practice problems.

Checklists for contracts is where it's at. I think it saved me from the bottom 5% grade I deserve.

Yeah, the checklist saves me from stupid mistakes... like forgetting about the statute of frauds. :oops:

Do you think this is okay for a checklist ?(not sure if you can answer this)

I just made a list a few hours ago... I think it hits just about everything.

Goods?
Merchants?
Offer
Acceptance
SOF
Consideration
Promissory Estoppel
Voluntary Defenses
Material breach?
Remedies
Interpretation / Parol Evidence
Conditions

Note - my exam is closed book so i need something short and sweet to write out quickly.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:13 am

I've got my K outline down to 13.5 pages, but I can't get it any smaller without taking out important information. I was shooting for 10.

This is going to agitate me. Unlike Property, I think I'm going to actually have to rely on this a bit during the exam -- and I don't have time to sift through something that's this long.

I'm really going to have to commit more of this to memory and go off a check sheet.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:39 am

Hmmm... Create a ToC for the long outline and create a 2-page attack outline?

That's what I did for tortz but then again I only wrote 4k words so according to TLS wisdom I am median at best. :mrgreen:

(FWIW I probably AM median at best)

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:36 am

Civ Pro tomorrow, I think I'm just going to review my outlines and make sure I like them, but otherwise relax and read Getting to Maybe some more. I've made a GTM outline on things to be sure to do on the exam, the tips in the back are gold.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:38 am

i hope los blancos and jcougar are not on the east coast

that is way too late to be up studying

ReesesPieces15

Postby ReesesPieces15 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:49 am

If there is a contract for goods and services but predominantly services (ie: catering services) does the statute of frauds dictate there must be a writing if the entire thing is well over 500$?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”