1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dailygrind

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby dailygrind » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:04 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
clintonius wrote:Also helpful was the civ pro book in the same series (though my professor was the author, so I suppose it may be more helpful for me than for others).

Ha, yeah, having a book by your prof is always immensely helpful. I had the same thing in Crim Law, my prof wrote a hornbook. In fact, when I visited him during office hours to discuss my struggling with a concept, his response was "buy my book and read it, and if you're still confused, come back and we'll talk". :P

For most people, I think the Glannon E&E or the Glannon Guide are TCR for Civ Pro.

low?

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:07 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
clintonius wrote:Also helpful was the civ pro book in the same series (though my professor was the author, so I suppose it may be more helpful for me than for others).

Ha, yeah, having a book by your prof is always immensely helpful. I had the same thing in Crim Law, my prof wrote a hornbook. In fact, when I visited him during office hours to discuss my struggling with a concept, his response was "buy my book and read it, and if you're still confused, come back and we'll talk". :P

For most people, I think the Glannon E&E or the Glannon Guide are TCR for Civ Pro.

For this reason, having Bonnie and Abraham in the same semester = big-time win. (I also had Rutherglen, but I don't think the Employment Discrimination hornbook would've helped in CivPro. Considering how I did yesterday, though, anything might have been worth a shot.)

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:13 pm

Freer's hornbook on Civ Pro is excellent.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:14 pm

i'm told abraham = amazing prof but straight b+ for like everyone in the class. while that would be nice because it frees you up to study for other classes and still get a b+, it would be annoying if you were naturally gifted at torts but couldn't make it over b+, or if it was ur last ditch attempt to get a good grade or something.

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:22 pm

romothesavior wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
clintonius wrote:Anybody else read Chirelstein for contracts? It's incredibly helpful. BUT. In his section about promises to make gifts, his illustration involves a family member promising to pay off a niece's law school loans, "Up to a limit of $10,000."

chirelstein's little book is fantastic. abraham's little torts book is also phenomenal. i've been told that all of those little books in the concepts and insights series are good, actually.

I have been trying all week to get my hands on Chirelestein. None of the St. Louis Borders have it, the WUSTL bookstore has literally every supplement known to man (including many of the Cases and Concepts Series) EXCEPT Chirelstein, and none of my 2L or 3L homies has it. I am going to give Barnes and Noble a try (and maybe even SLU's bookstore, even though they suck), but it is looking more and more like it is physically impossible to get Chirelstein in St. Louis.

I have a copy if you want to borrow it. I read 1 chapter and decided I didn't like it.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:40 pm

romothesavior wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
clintonius wrote:Anybody else read Chirelstein for contracts? It's incredibly helpful. BUT. In his section about promises to make gifts, his illustration involves a family member promising to pay off a niece's law school loans, "Up to a limit of $10,000."

chirelstein's little book is fantastic. abraham's little torts book is also phenomenal. i've been told that all of those little books in the concepts and insights series are good, actually.

I have been trying all week to get my hands on Chirelestein. None of the St. Louis Borders have it, the WUSTL bookstore has literally every supplement known to man (including many of the Cases and Concepts Series) EXCEPT Chirelstein, and none of my 2L or 3L homies has it. I am going to give Barnes and Noble a try (and maybe even SLU's bookstore, even though they suck), but it is looking more and more like it is physically impossible to get Chirelstein in St. Louis.

I have a copy of Chirelstein that I don't need. Hit me up if you want to borrow it. I have to say, though, Farnsworth on Contracts is much better and much more in depth (which is why I don't really need Chirelstein anymore).

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:41 pm

J-tow10 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
dailygrind wrote:

I have a copy if you want to borrow it. I read 1 chapter and decided I didn't like it.

Jinx.

I seriously didn't see this post until I posted mine.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:46 pm

dailygrind wrote:i'm told abraham = amazing prof but straight b+ for like everyone in the class. while that would be nice because it frees you up to study for other classes and still get a b+, it would be annoying if you were naturally gifted at torts but couldn't make it over b+, or if it was ur last ditch attempt to get a good grade or something.
He is amazing, but it does take something special to get out of the heart of the curve. (The actual number for B+'s is about 2/3 of the class.) As far as the "naturally good at torts" thing goes, though, it's important to know how Abraham's class works. The entire 3.5-hour exam is one page long. He's not concerned with whether you can spot a zillion issues and apply statutes or whatever. He assumes you can do that, and considers it not much different than undergrad work. He cares whether you can throw down analytically. Why should the law be a certain way? What policy/value choices are we making if we declare this or that to be someone's duty? What are we declaring about property rights when we declare something a nuisance, and what are we further deciding by deciding to remedy the situation by, alternatively, an award of damages or an injunction? What about economic factors? And so on, and so on, and so on. Most students just don't impress him/insult his intelligence enough to sway him from giving them B+'s.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:51 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
dailygrind wrote:i'm told abraham = amazing prof but straight b+ for like everyone in the class. while that would be nice because it frees you up to study for other classes and still get a b+, it would be annoying if you were naturally gifted at torts but couldn't make it over b+, or if it was ur last ditch attempt to get a good grade or something.
He is amazing, but it does take something special to get out of the heart of the curve. (The actual number for B+'s is about 2/3 of the class.) As far as the "naturally good at torts" thing goes, though, it's important to know how Abraham's class works. The entire 3.5-hour exam is one page long. He's not concerned with whether you can spot a zillion issues and apply statutes or whatever. He assumes you can do that, and considers it not much different than undergrad work. He cares whether you can throw down analytically. Why should the law be a certain way? What policy/value choices are we making if we declare this or that to be someone's duty? What are we declaring about property rights when we declare something a nuisance, and what are we further deciding by deciding to remedy the situation by, alternatively, an award of damages or an injunction? What about economic factors? And so on, and so on, and so on. Most students just don't impress him/insult his intelligence enough to sway him from giving them B+'s.

sounds pretty cool. i'm pretty down with theoretical work, and i'm told that he's one of those profs you just gotta take before you graduate, too.

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:12 pm

Two down, just torts to go. Con laws marathon of questions has exhausted me

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:36 pm

vanwinkle wrote:That's a little bizarre to me though.

Just talked to her, she basically said that we (my study group) are finding ambiguities/problems with the fact pattern that people last year didn't when they took it. Oddly enough, this was the final from last year, which begs the question - what the eff was the class of 2012 smoking when they took the exam?

She also said that me trying establish an independent basis for SMJ wasn't included in the rubric for the problem, but would be grounds for "extra points" on the exam. Feeling pretty good now 8)

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:04 pm

beach_terror wrote:Freer's hornbook on Civ Pro is excellent.

I <3 the Freer BarBri lectures. Worth the money and then some.

Melkaba

Postby Melkaba » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:24 pm

Screw Contracts, man.

That is all.

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:37 pm

Melkaba wrote:Screw Contracts, man.

That is all.

blasphemy. i love Ks.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:52 pm

beach_terror wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:That's a little bizarre to me though.

Just talked to her, she basically said that we (my study group) are finding ambiguities/problems with the fact pattern that people last year didn't when they took it. Oddly enough, this was the final from last year, which begs the question - what the eff was the class of 2012 smoking when they took the exam?

She also said that me trying establish an independent basis for SMJ wasn't included in the rubric for the problem, but would be grounds for "extra points" on the exam. Feeling pretty good now 8)

So, you know what you're doing. If something feels wierd on the exam, it probably is. Deal with it quickly so you can get to what the exam question is focused on. Best case you get extra points, worst case your prof knows why you're answering the way you did if you just read everything wrong, and will probably still award you points for the rest of your analysis if that were true.

You know what you're doing, just make sure on exam day that you be cool and actually do it.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:52 pm

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:54 pm

J-tow10 wrote:
Melkaba wrote:Screw Contracts, man.

That is all.

blasphemy. i love Ks.
I want to hate it. I want to hate my professor. I want to rage at all the time wasted in that class when I could have been saving baby seals or playing video games. But I just may have learned more in that class than all my other ones combined, and it has definitely altered my day-to-day thought process the most. I found myself frowning at the ambiguous language in the split checks/alcohol/large party mandatory gratuity disclaimers on the menu where I ate lunch today. My brain is broken.

edit for quote tag fail
Last edited by clintonius on Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:58 pm

That meme produced a solid LOL in the library, Fox.

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:02 pm

Fall 1L is over!!!

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:04 pm

ChattTNdt wrote:Fall 1L is over!!!

How many beers deep are you so far?

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:10 pm

Wow, finally done with a law school exam. It's a weird feeling.

blerg

Postby blerg » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:14 pm

ChattTNdt wrote:Fall 1L is over!!!

SO JEALOUS. 11 more days :(

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:21 pm

keg411 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Freer's hornbook on Civ Pro is excellent.

I <3 the Freer BarBri lectures. Worth the money and then some.

I love his hornbook. For determining the Hanna prong on whether an FRCP is "on point" he gives you exactly what your professor is looking for analysis wise.

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:53 pm

i got semi-murdered by my 8 hours crim take home, which, I ran out of time for and had to rush at the end b/c I accidentally spent 30 minutes answering a question that wasnt asked.

I did not get an A. I will be lucky with a B+

kxz

Postby kxz » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:38 pm

studying for torts. FML

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”