1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JazzOne

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby JazzOne » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:35 pm

goosey wrote:
SmittenMitten wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
SmittenMitten wrote:I am in the library but I could be home with my dog/watching Top Chef all stars..so...

or vomiting, amiright?

valid.

Since I had my first exam- I have stopped vomiting and started migraines.

I have gotten more migraines this semester than I wish to count. they suck.

I will be so glad when I am done with my last exam.

on a side note, I've now decided not to even look at torts until I am done with my civ pro exam on the 15th--torts is 6 days later on the 21st. smart or stupid decision?

Six days is plenty, especially if you kept up all semester.

Also, have you tried those hot/cold head patches? I very rarely get migraines (as in, I can count them on one hand), but the only thing that helps at all is the patch on my forehead.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:36 pm

six days is probably plenty even if you hadn't kept up all semester

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:37 pm

rejectmaster wrote:six days is probably plenty even if you hadn't kept up all semester

Of course. I'm cool with two days for a class I haven't read one word for. But I'm a 2L, and 1L is different.

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:44 pm

JazzOne wrote:Six days is plenty, especially if you kept up all semester.

Also, have you tried those hot/cold head patches? I very rarely get migraines (as in, I can count them on one hand), but the only thing that helps at all is the patch on my forehead.

I've kept up all semester. But he has these "authors dialogues" throughout the book that I noticed he loves taking short answer questions out of--so I want to be able to go back and re-read all of them. Also, I noticed that some of his old exam questions are hypotheticals taken straight out of the book, so I wanted to go back and do all the hypos too (or at least think about them and how I would answer them). I also wanted to re-read the cases he loves, because he sometimes ask short answer questions about those cases. Plus he has like 3984973 old exams on file that I'd like to take. Just worried about getting through it all. But I guess you're right..bc if its 5 days of JUST torts [I'm not counting the 15th because I will prob not want to study after my civ pro exam], I will prob get through...I hope.

I've never tried them..actually, I can feel a migraine coming on and if I take asprin RIGHT then, I am fine. If I miss the boat, I am done for, and I can do anything on earth after that but it will not go away until I sleep it off in a pitch black room.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:50 pm

goosey wrote:

I've kept up all semester. But he has these "authors dialogues" throughout the book that I noticed he loves taking short answer questions out of--so I want to be able to go back and re-read all of them. Also, I noticed that some of his old exam questions are hypotheticals taken straight out of the book, so I wanted to go back and do all the hypos too (or at least think about them and how I would answer them). I also wanted to re-read the cases he loves, because he sometimes ask short answer questions about those cases. Plus he has like 3984973 old exams on file that I'd like to take. Just worried about getting through it all. But I guess you're right..bc if its 5 days of JUST torts [I'm not counting the 15th because I will prob not want to study after my civ pro exam], I will prob get through...I hope.

I've never tried them..actually, I can feel a migraine coming on and if I take asprin RIGHT then, I am fine. If I miss the boat, I am done for, and I can do anything on earth after that but it will not go away until I sleep it off in a pitch black room.

I probably wouldn't re-read the cases. If you really want to review them, log on to Westlaw and look at the case briefs and head notes. I have created entire outlines just with Westlaw head notes (without actually reading the cases), and I'm not doing too shabby. Law Review and all that shit, woot woot.

Oh, and the head patches don't actually make the pain go away. They just kind of cover it up long enough to relax and sleep. Seriously, hit Walgreens or CVS if it's a problem. Probably doesn't work for everyone, but I was amazed at how well it helped me relax.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:58 pm

I am so fucking tired and sick of studying right now, good lord. I just have to review Hanna for my Erie sprint outline, and I'm done for the night. But I cannot bring myself to do it - also Hanna and Byrd for some reason keep making me think of ice cream, and I have no idea why.

I think I'm losing my mind.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:01 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Image

hyperbole and a half?

I'm obsessed with it.

Now, back to learning ALL the crim!

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:02 pm

JazzOne wrote:
goosey wrote:

Oh, and the head patches don't actually make the pain go away. They just kind of cover it up long enough to relax and sleep. Seriously, hit Walgreens or CVS if it's a problem. Probably doesn't work for everyone, but I was amazed at how well it helped me relax.

I take over the counter stuff, however I have heard that a large amount of caffeine will reduce the pain. Seriously.

Also-my doctor gave me this stuff that is like an injection but it actually shoots the medicine through your pores in a vapor...but he only had one and when you take it (shoot it) it should instantly cure your migraine. Since I get ocular migraines, without any real warning, I haven't used this magical thing yet because I am so paranoid that I will need it during a final. I have been saving it.

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:07 pm

JazzOne wrote:Oh, and the head patches don't actually make the pain go away. They just kind of cover it up long enough to relax and sleep. Seriously, hit Walgreens or CVS if it's a problem. Probably doesn't work for everyone, but I was amazed at how well it helped me relax.

ohh ok, will have to check that out. I'm a cave(wo)man and usually just tie a scarf around my head REALLY tight and go to sleep

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:08 pm

goosey wrote:
JazzOne wrote:Oh, and the head patches don't actually make the pain go away. They just kind of cover it up long enough to relax and sleep. Seriously, hit Walgreens or CVS if it's a problem. Probably doesn't work for everyone, but I was amazed at how well it helped me relax.

ohh ok, will have to check that out. I'm a cave(wo)man and usually just tie a scarf around my head REALLY tight and go to sleep

Wow.

As somebody who just recently broke their wrist- I think I'd rather re-break my wrist then have a bad migraine.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:13 pm

At what point do you start to get diminishing returns from practice exams? I took 3 full ones and a few problems from other schools for CivPro and 2 full ones and 2 problems (all from my professor) for Torts. I feel like you "get" how to generally answer the question for a given class after 2 exams and that rewriting past exam problems was more beneficial after that. Anyone else have thoughts about this? I'd be interested to hear what other people think.

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:15 pm

SmittenMitten wrote:
goosey wrote:

Wow.

As somebody who just recently broke their wrist- I think I'd rather re-break my wrist then have a bad migraine.

I agree..they suck.

and omg...I can NOT study for another second. Seriously. I just want to quit school. ahhh.

I havent studied enough for crim..I just dont know *what* to study b/c its a take home and I feel like I understand all the concepts..Ive done all the practice questions she's given us throughout the semester..read all of dressler's supplement...but havent put in nearly as much work as I have been for civ pro...crim final on friday...maybe I should devote 5 hours of tomorrow to crim stuff.

how did you ppl study for crim?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:17 pm

Omerta wrote:At what point do you start to get diminishing returns from practice exams? I took 3 full ones and a few problems from other schools for CivPro and 2 full ones and 2 problems (all from my professor) for Torts. I feel like you "get" how to generally answer the question for a given class after 2 exams and that rewriting past exam problems was more beneficial after that. Anyone else have thoughts about this? I'd be interested to hear what other people think.

The thing is, law school works on a forced curve. Sure, you'll have diminishing returns in terms of personal improvement. But, grades are not perfectly correlative of how good you are. They are quantized to a certain extent, and they are based on the performance of your peers.

My point is this: If the 14th practice test gets you to the point where you're better than the next guy, then it was worth it, even if your personal improvement was only marginal. The forced competition creates an entirely different dynamic, and you should do as much as possible to test better than your classmates.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:19 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Omerta wrote:At what point do you start to get diminishing returns from practice exams? I took 3 full ones and a few problems from other schools for CivPro and 2 full ones and 2 problems (all from my professor) for Torts. I feel like you "get" how to generally answer the question for a given class after 2 exams and that rewriting past exam problems was more beneficial after that. Anyone else have thoughts about this? I'd be interested to hear what other people think.

The thing is, law school works on a forced curve. Sure, your returns diminish after a few tests in terms of how much better your getting. But, grades are not perfectly correlative of how good you are. They are quantized to a certain extent, and they are based on the performance of your peers.

My point is this: If the 14th practice test gets you to the point where you're better than the next guy, then it was worth it, even if your personal improvement was only marginal. The forced competition creates an entirely different dynamic, and you should do as much as possible to test better than your classmates.

I worded the first portion of my post very poorly. Talking from your past experience, at what point- if any- did you find time spent doing something else a more efficient use of time than taking practice exams? It's a pretty conjectural question, but I'd be interested to hear what you think.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:25 pm

Omerta wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

The thing is, law school works on a forced curve. Sure, your returns diminish after a few tests in terms of how much better your getting. But, grades are not perfectly correlative of how good you are. They are quantized to a certain extent, and they are based on the performance of your peers.

I worded the first portion of my post very poorly. Talking from your past experience, at what point- if any- did you find time spent doing something else a more efficient use of time than taking practice exams? It's a pretty conjectural question, but I'd be interested to hear what you think.

I think practice tests are the best way to review the material and practice applying it to facts. There are only so many ways the rules can be applied. Doing the practice tests will help you see some of the obscure issues that you might miss if you were addressing that issue for the first time on a three-hour exam. But having done the practice test, you can include the obscure point in the test, should a similar issue arise.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:29 pm

Erie after Hanna (as far as my course went on the Erie line of cases)

III. Final Test
a. 1) likelihood that applying federal law will affect the outcome of the case
i. 1) discouragement of forum shopping and 2) avoidance of inequitable administration of the laws
b. Federal interest in applying its rule
c. State’s interest in applying its rule
IV. Hanna’s rule on FRCP
a. Is a FRCP on point? No (state law) – Yes (apply Sibbach does it really regulate procedure?) Yes (apply FRCP, No apply state rule).

Does that look accurate? Basically Hanna's FRCP will probably never be violated unless a bunch of people drop the ball (Congress, SCOTUS, advisory committee, etc).

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:42 pm

First off, a vent about Erie. No, its not that I don't understand it. In fact, I spent 3 days studying it and perfecting my understanding of it prior to the final. The professor spent the majority of our final review session covering it (since its what students during the session seemed most shaky on), so I figure I have an advantage by understanding it pretty well...and then he has nothing about Erie on the test (and no its not one of those "maybe it was just me who missed it" situations.

I sort of wonder how exam scoring goes. For example, in a 30 point question, lets say there are 3 big issues to cover. And lets say I discussed 2 of them, but went really in depth and had a chance to be really thorough. I just hope they don't set a ceiling, and say "oh its 10, 10, and 10. You miss one of them, and you get max 20". I just hope that real good analysis on the prominent issues I did find makes up for failure to find some of the more subsidiary ones.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:54 pm

dakatz wrote:I sort of wonder how exam scoring goes. For example, in a 30 point question, lets say there are 3 big issues to cover. And lets say I discussed 2 of them, but went really in depth and had a chance to be really thorough. I just hope they don't set a ceiling, and say "oh its 10, 10, and 10. You miss one of them, and you get max 20". I just hope that real good analysis on the prominent issues I did find makes up for failure to find some of the more subsidiary ones.

It depends on your professor because they all grade differently. Then again, I don't know if it makes me feel better or worse knowing :? .

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:57 pm

Only one left!!

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:01 pm

BriaTharen wrote:Only one left!!

*high five*

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:28 pm

After taking three practice exams and looking at model answers, I feel very good about my Property exam tomorrow morning. Cognitively, at least. I accidentally left my outline at home for the last one and just tested from memory, and I did great and spotted virtually every issue.

Yet I still find myself emotionally nervous as hell. I was cool up until this point. I hope I can sleep tonight and have a clear mind. This is my make or break point of debtors prison v. decent life ahead. Going to the most inferior of the T20 when it comes to job prospects doesn't help much. I need to somehow get out of this mentality before my exam. I'm sure everyone will be pretty nervous, but I want to walk in there and not worry.

I still probably need to review estates one more time tonight, and maybe think about policy questions some (because our professor always has one policy question), but after that, I'm printing out a new copy of my outline and being done with it.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:35 pm

dakatz wrote:First off, a vent about Erie. No, its not that I don't understand it. In fact, I spent 3 days studying it and perfecting my understanding of it prior to the final. The professor spent the majority of our final review session covering it (since its what students during the session seemed most shaky on), so I figure I have an advantage by understanding it pretty well...and then he has nothing about Erie on the test (and no its not one of those "maybe it was just me who missed it" situations.

I sort of wonder how exam scoring goes. For example, in a 30 point question, lets say there are 3 big issues to cover. And lets say I discussed 2 of them, but went really in depth and had a chance to be really thorough. I just hope they don't set a ceiling, and say "oh its 10, 10, and 10. You miss one of them, and you get max 20". I just hope that real good analysis on the prominent issues I did find makes up for failure to find some of the more subsidiary ones.

that sucks nuts. i spent a fair amount of time looking at erie cuz i figure it's one of the big points of civ pro, but who knows wtf's going to come down.

anyway, i'm donezo for the night, civ pro tomorrow. once more unto the breach, dear friends.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:42 pm

are we allowed to post a past exam our teacher has on our web portal in order to get feedback from other posters?

Melkaba

Postby Melkaba » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:55 pm

Alright, I've done this well getting to the exam phase without being hopefully nervous. But it seems like at this moment everything is just rushing in like a raging flood and the dam of my mind is barely holding on to well all of those negative thoughts. Up until this point, simple "study as best as you can and just do as best as you possibly can, for better or for worse" stuff got me in a pretty good mental state in comparison to a lot of my other classmates. But I guess now it's the realization that "oh crap, my first exam is in 12 hours!" that really hit things going.

At the very least, it's open notes, 5 questions with a 300 word limit with three very specific question types (hypo, statute identification, definition) in three hours. Despite my outline being a behemoth 70 pages, I know quite enough to the point where I'd only have to use it to cite case page numbers (which we have to do). Plus, since I'm going to be typing everything, this will be the first time in awhile that my abnormally fast typing speed will come in handy since stupid text-role-playing back in America Online chatrooms back when I was like 12.

I just really, really, really hope I can maintain this momentum and not become a staggering nervous wreck by 9am tomorrow.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:58 pm

Melkaba wrote:Alright, I've done this well getting to the exam phase without being hopefully nervous. But it seems like at this moment everything is just rushing in like a raging flood and the dam of my mind is barely holding on to well all of those negative thoughts. Up until this point, simple "study as best as you can and just do as best as you possibly can, for better or for worse" stuff got me in a pretty good mental state in comparison to a lot of my other classmates. But I guess now it's the realization that "oh crap, my first exam is in 12 hours!" that really hit things going.

At the very least, it's open notes, 5 questions with a 300 word limit with three very specific question types (hypo, statute identification, definition) in three hours. Despite my outline being a behemoth 70 pages, I know quite enough to the point where I'd only have to use it to cite case page numbers (which we have to do). Plus, since I'm going to be typing everything, this will be the first time in awhile that my abnormally fast typing speed will come in handy since stupid text-role-playing back in America Online chatrooms back when I was like 12.

I just really, really, really hope I can maintain this momentum and not become a staggering nervous wreck by 9am tomorrow.

Trust me, we all feel this way. My roommate and I were just talking about how even though we feel really well prepared, we both feel incredibly nervous. Just no way to know how we're gonna do.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”