1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
traehekat

Gold

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Post by traehekat » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:24 pm

los blancos wrote:Outlining Crim is like bashing head into brick wall
yeah its weird. crim seems like the easiest stuff to understand during class and doing the reading, but somehow when i sat down to outline i started to get all confused, especially with our professor having a pretty even focus on both MPC and common law (hard to keep everything straight).

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:39 pm

swc65 wrote:

So is Law and Econ- and the library closed at 8 tonight!! WTF Ive never been there on a Saturday so was totally surprise.
Woah, 8? Pretty sure our reading room closes at at 2 AM every night.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:40 pm

traehekat wrote:
yeah its weird. crim seems like the easiest stuff to understand during class and doing the reading, but somehow when i sat down to outline i started to get all confused, especially with our professor having a pretty even focus on both MPC and common law (hard to keep everything straight).
Completely agree. Same thing happening with me. This was our professor's first time teaching crim and it was disorganized as hell. Then again - curve.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:43 pm

traehekat wrote:
Make Tables; one column for MPC, one for CL.
It's death to put together, but I think (hope) it will work.

Speaking of death, am outlining ConLaw (if outlining means copying/re-organizing old outlines from my prof, which for me it does :lol:).

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:58 pm

keg411 wrote:
Speaking of death, am outlining ConLaw (if outlining means copying/re-organizing old outlines from my prof, which for me it does :lol:).
Con law is just so disorganized cause the topics range from impeachment to the dormant commerce clause. there is limited logical connection between everything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:07 pm

keg411 wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Make Tables; one column for MPC, one for CL.
It's death to put together, but I think (hope) it will work.

haha here is a word-for-word electronic "sticky note" i made a few weeks ago:
consider making chart for crim with common law/mpc forks
haven't done it, but i'm liken that we're thinking the same thing lol.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:12 pm

Yeah, I'm getting annoyed with my con law outline. So whenever something is taking me too long to figure out, I just bold it and move on. So, I'll think I'm done, but really have a few hours of going back and actually doing giant sections. Or organizing them.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:53 pm

I already organized the thing starting a few weeks ago (because if you take a step back it's not that hard), it's just the tedium of putting all the cases and doctrinal information in. In an ideal world, I finish both ConLaw and Property by tomorrow, but I dunno if that will end up happening.

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:05 pm

My ConLaw exam is closed book/note. We have covered a ton of information and 95+ cases. I feel like I understand the concepts and would ace the exam if I was allowed to have an outline but I don't know how to even begin memorizing all that I need to memorize. Does anyone have any tips or materials to share that could help me study for a closed ConLaw exam?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:12 pm

I can send anyone my Crim MPC/COL charts (and outline if you need it). I did well in Crim so maybe it will be of some help, PM me.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:16 pm

jbarl1 wrote:My ConLaw exam is closed book/note. We have covered a ton of information and 95+ cases. I feel like I understand the concepts and would ace the exam if I was allowed to have an outline but I don't know how to even begin memorizing all that I need to memorize. Does anyone have any tips or materials to share that could help me study for a closed ConLaw exam?
this is relevant to my interests

Baylan

Bronze

Post by Baylan » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:56 pm

Property exam is closed book/note. Last exam. Shorted time period between two exams this semester. There is a special place in hell for Betty (she's the registrar and schedules this shit).

Paichka

Bronze

Post by Paichka » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:03 am

My Con Law I exam was also closed book. If you'd like my conlaw attack sheet (which breaks things down into helpful mnemonics), PM me and I'll email it to you.

What I did was I made a load of flash cards to quiz myself about various concepts and cases that I thought might be important -- you probably don't have enough time to do that now, though, I'd imagine.

I think one of the most helpful things to do is to make sure to group everything together in your brain by subject:

I. Congressional Power

Commerce Clause + Limitations
Taxing & Spending + Limitations
Section 5 Powers + Limitations
Preemption
Privileges & Immunities
Dormant Commerce Clause

II. Executive Power

Nondelegation Doctrine
Appointment & Removals
Foreign Affairs
War and Military Action
Executive Privileges & Immunities

III. Judicial Power

Judicial Review and its Limitations (standing, PQ doctrine, prohibition on advisory opinions, etc)

IV. State Action

General Rule
Exceptions -- Entanglement/Public Function

Once you have it all in your head that way, it's a lot easier to call up the information as needed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:28 am

Paichka wrote:My Con Law I exam was also closed book. If you'd like my conlaw attack sheet (which breaks things down into helpful mnemonics), PM me and I'll email it to you.

What I did was I made a load of flash cards to quiz myself about various concepts and cases that I thought might be important -- you probably don't have enough time to do that now, though, I'd imagine.

I think one of the most helpful things to do is to make sure to group everything together in your brain by subject:

I. Congressional Power

Commerce Clause + Limitations
Taxing & Spending + Limitations
Section 5 Powers + Limitations
Preemption
Privileges & Immunities
Dormant Commerce Clause

II. Executive Power

Nondelegation Doctrine
Appointment & Removals
Foreign Affairs
War and Military Action
Executive Privileges & Immunities

III. Judicial Power

Judicial Review and its Limitations (standing, PQ doctrine, prohibition on advisory opinions, etc)

IV. State Action

General Rule
Exceptions -- Entanglement/Public Function

Once you have it all in your head that way, it's a lot easier to call up the information as needed.
My exam is a bit more than two weeks away, which is plenty of time for flash cards for me. I was planning on making a bunch in addition to the ones I am already using for general things (like parts of the Constitution). Your breakdown looks helpful so thanks! I PM'd you for your attack outline, thanks for offering it.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:30 am

Splitting a bottle of wine (over a few hours of course) makes writing this appellate brief so much better.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:01 am

traehekat wrote:
Dunno if we did anything based on the common law once... All of his hypos were centered around the MPC and occasional state/federal statutes.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:02 am

jbarl1 wrote:My ConLaw exam is closed book/note. We have covered a ton of information and 95+ cases. I feel like I understand the concepts and would ace the exam if I was allowed to have an outline but I don't know how to even begin memorizing all that I need to memorize. Does anyone have any tips or materials to share that could help me study for a closed ConLaw exam?
I dunno if this works for everyone or if its feasible (dunno how long your outline is), but try writing out your entire outline. Once I write something down on paper it becomes really easy to remember.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:03 am

los blancos wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Dunno if we did anything based on the common law once... All of his hypos were centered around the MPC and occasional state/federal statutes.
You are lucky.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:03 am

Baylan wrote:Property exam is closed book/note.
Wow, that REALLY sucks. Good luck!

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:15 am

I think that 1367 and the preclusion doctrines were meticulously designed to be frustrating.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:31 am

YourCaptain wrote:I think that 1367 and the preclusion doctrines were meticulously designed to be frustrating.
core concepts are really simple. applying them, not so much. especially when you throw in the 1441(c) dilemma. at least 40% of my civ pro studying has been devoted to understanding supp. jurisdiction and removal under 1441(c). makes erie look like paint by numbers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:36 am

pleasetryagain wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:I think that 1367 and the preclusion doctrines were meticulously designed to be frustrating.
core concepts are really simple. applying them, not so much. especially when you throw in the 1441(c) dilemma. at least 40% of my civ pro studying has been devoted to understanding supp. jurisdiction and removal under 1441(c). makes erie look like paint by numbers.
like RAP in property, i plan on barely studying/understanding supp. jurisdiction and praying it isn't heavily tested on the exam.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:38 am

traehekat wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:
like RAP in property, i plan on barely studying/understanding supp. jurisdiction and praying it isn't heavily tested on the exam.
I KNOW that it will be heavily tested on my exam. along with the CAFA class action joinder/aggregation stuff. I MUST understand it.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:38 am

I sent the spreadsheet/outline to all those that PM'ed me, if anyone else is interested let me know.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:53 am

BarbellDreams wrote:I sent the spreadsheet/outline to all those that PM'ed me, if anyone else is interested let me know.
ty, very solid it looks like.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”