1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Holly Golightly

Gold

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Post by Holly Golightly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:00 am

I'm pretty sure life is trolling me. There is no ungodly reason for me to be awake right now...so here I am, outlining in bed. :(

skoobily doobily

Bronze

Post by skoobily doobily » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:01 am

just found out half of my torts exam is closed note, the other half is open note but closed book.

grrrrrr.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:02 am

Desert Fox wrote:
denimchickn wrote:From the looks of it, pretty much everyone on this forum is a 12(b)(7)...
Looks at outline. Then LOLs
i dunt git it :oops:

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:09 am

beach_terror wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
denimchickn wrote:From the looks of it, pretty much everyone on this forum is a 12(b)(7)...
Failure to join a party.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:16 am

Apparently multiple people aren't being allowed to take the final in my crim class. That really sucks for them . . . I can only imagine how I would feel if that happened to me. Sheesh.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:17 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Failure to join a party.
Oh, social. Got it.

/wrists

blerg

Bronze

Post by blerg » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:23 am

Stanford4Me wrote:Apparently multiple people aren't being allowed to take the final in my crim class. That really sucks for them . . . I can only imagine how I would feel if that happened to me. Sheesh.
Why?

skoobily doobily

Bronze

Post by skoobily doobily » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:24 am

blerg wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:Apparently multiple people aren't being allowed to take the final in my crim class. That really sucks for them . . . I can only imagine how I would feel if that happened to me. Sheesh.
Why?
That would be an absolute nightmare. cheating?

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:28 am

skoobily doobily wrote:
blerg wrote:
Why?
Poor attendance, I believe. It's amazing how many people have missed a butt load of classes even after the professor sends them e-mails warning them that if they continue to miss they won't be allowed to take the final. New York UniversiTTTy for you.

(I still love you, NYU)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:02 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:
blerg wrote:
Why?
Poor attendance, I believe. It's amazing how many people have missed a butt load of classes even after the professor sends them e-mails warning them that if they continue to miss they won't be allowed to take the final. New York UniversiTTTy for you.

(I still love you, NYU)
omg that would be awful. I would fail civ pro.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:11 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:
blerg wrote:
Why?

(I still love you, NYU)
If you regularly skip class, I think that's a fair punishment. By regularly, I mean missing at least 25% of the classes.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:14 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:
blerg wrote:
Why?

(I still love you, NYU)
as much as that sucks, that's just stupid.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:15 pm

beach_terror wrote: If you regularly skip class, I think that's a fair punishment. By regularly, I mean missing at least 25% of the classes.
We're all adults, and paying a lot of money for law school. Why shouldn't we be able to skip classes? I have multiple professors who teach nothing that will be relevant to my exams, and if I don't want to wake up at 7am to go hear my prof wax poetic about nonsense, I don't feel I should have to.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:33 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
beach_terror wrote: If you regularly skip class, I think that's a fair punishment. By regularly, I mean missing at least 25% of the classes.
We're all adults, and paying a lot of money for law school. Why shouldn't we be able to skip classes? I have multiple professors who teach nothing that will be relevant to my exams, and if I don't want to wake up at 7am to go hear my prof wax poetic about nonsense, I don't feel I should have to.
I don't have an issue with occasional skipping. But when you flagrantly skip to the point of a teacher emailing you and warning you (as well as violating the ABA policy), that shows the responsibility of a high schooler on the verge of dropping out. You're right, we're adults, doing shit we don't necessarily want to do comes with the territory.

Going to LS is a voluntary choice, if you can't meet the bare minimum class attendance and ignore teacher warnings to start showing up, you're a fucking moron and deserve not to take your final. My view might be a bit different if they weren't repeatedly warned.

bostonian

Bronze

Post by bostonian » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:43 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
I don't have an issue with occasional skipping. But when you flagrantly skip to the point of a teacher emailing you and warning you (as well as violating the ABA policy), that shows the responsibility of a high schooler on the verge of dropping out. You're right, we're adults, doing shit we don't necessarily want to do comes with the territory.

Going to LS is a voluntary choice, if you can't meet the bare minimum class attendance and ignore teacher warnings to start showing up, you're a fucking moron and deserve not to take your final. My view might be a bit different if they weren't repeatedly warned.
I suppose if they were warned then they knew what they were getting into, but in general, that's ridiculous. If you didn't learn the material, then you won't do well on the final. The only rationale for such a policy is that the professor fears that people who didn't go to class learned the material on their own and will do well on finals anyway, showing that class itself is useless. The only thing reminiscent of high school here is the fact that they are taking attendance. For one of my classes I learned everything from supplements and virtually nothing in class. I went to class, but basically so I could see my classmates; I never really paid attention. Simply not going to class wouldn't have had a big impact.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:46 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
when you attend law school you're not just some mass consumer. you're a living breathing representation of the school. given the school's interest in protecting its reputation/student caliber, and the fact that attendance requirements are easy to discover well before you come to lawl school, i think it's fair for them to require you to come.*

*devil's advocate. i would never have gone to civ pro this semester if i weren't worried about being barred from taking the exam.

kxz

New

Post by kxz » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:47 pm

bostonian wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

I suppose if they were warned then they knew what they were getting into, but in general, that's ridiculous. If you didn't learn the material, then you won't do well on the final. The only rationale for such a policy is that the professor fears that people who didn't go to class learned the material on their own and will do well on finals anyway, showing that class itself is useless. The only thing reminiscent of high school here is the fact that they are taking attendance. For one of my classes I learned everything from supplements and virtually nothing in class. I went to class, but basically so I could see my classmates; I never really paid attention. Simply not going to class wouldn't have had a big impact.
It's a professional school. If you don't choose to go to class, that's your choice imo.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bostonian

Bronze

Post by bostonian » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:51 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
We are at Northwestern anyway. Apparently not at some other schools. :|

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:53 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:00 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
This.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:02 pm

Holly Golightly wrote: omg that would be awful. I would fail civ pro torts.
...fucking 9am's lol

how could people continue to skip after being emailed by the prof?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:19 pm

Thirteen wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
This.

Aren't two of our classes explicit in their "no required attendance" policy?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:21 pm

I think some of you might be missing my point. If you're professor doesn't take attendance/doesn't care - then do whatever you want. But if they actually take attendance and express to you that you're skipping so many classes that you might face some sort of punishment, and you STILL don't go, then you deserve whatever's coming your way. The same holds true in all other aspects of life, law school should be no different.

The professor's reasoning is irrelevant, they're still your superior and in charge of your grades.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:22 pm

mths wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote: omg that would be awful. I would fail civ pro torts.
...fucking 9am's lol

how could people continue to skip after being emailed by the prof?
Blind grading?

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:30 pm

beach_terror wrote:I think some of you might be missing my point. If you're professor doesn't take attendance/doesn't care - then do whatever you want. But if they actually take attendance and express to you that you're skipping so many classes that you might face some sort of punishment, and you STILL don't go, then you deserve whatever's coming your way. The same holds true in all other aspects of life, law school should be no different.

The professor's reasoning is irrelevant, they're still your superior and in charge of your grades.
deserve? isn't that a moral judgment? sort of like how people who smoke weed "deserve" the punishments coming their way, even if weed isn't bad?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”