1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
keg411

Platinum

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread (ROUND 2 SUCKAS)

Post by keg411 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:13 pm

goosey wrote:I am sick and cant get myself un-blah'd enough to accomplish anything significant. help.
If you have a cold/allergies -- real sudafed. Don't take the fake stuff and don't take the generic brand.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:15 pm

td6624 wrote:today i printed out all my notes

not sure why
Easier to burn in a fit of rage when you're done.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:38 pm

Had my first exam today. Civil brocedure. Thought it went pretty well, but it was FAR harder than her old PTs that I did. After talking with my friends, I am fairly confident that I nailed all the issues (or at least put down a coherent analysis, which should get me some points). I also wrote more words than most of the people I talked to, which seems to have a pretty strong correlation to grades, or at least in my experience. So here's to hoping?

The really frustrating thing about the exam was that she specifically told us we did not need to know individual cases, but just the rules from them. Then in the short answer section she asked us, "What was the holding of Iqbal and how will it affect litigation federal court in the future?" or something like that. I know what you're probably thinking (Iqbal was a big case), but we barely even covered it. We talked about it for a day and never came back to it. Plus when she told us not to worry about individual cases, no one studied the individual cases. I was very fortunate that I was able to remember what the answer was in the last 5 minutes of the exam, and I spit out a decent answer. I don't think I ever even read the case, but I somehow miraculously pulled something out of my ass. It sounds like about half the class missed the question entirely.

One more week, and 1L is done forever. So incredibly hard to believe...

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:35 am

romothesavior wrote:Had my first exam today. Civil brocedure. Thought it went pretty well, but it was FAR harder than her old PTs that I did. After talking with my friends, I am fairly confident that I nailed all the issues (or at least put down a coherent analysis, which should get me some points). I also wrote more words than most of the people I talked to, which seems to have a pretty strong correlation to grades, or at least in my experience. So here's to hoping?

The really frustrating thing about the exam was that she specifically told us we did not need to know individual cases, but just the rules from them. Then in the short answer section she asked us, "What was the holding of Iqbal and how will it affect litigation federal court in the future?" or something like that. I know what you're probably thinking (Iqbal was a big case), but we barely even covered it. We talked about it for a day and never came back to it. Plus when she told us not to worry about individual cases, no one studied the individual cases. I was very fortunate that I was able to remember what the answer was in the last 5 minutes of the exam, and I spit out a decent answer. I don't think I ever even read the case, but I somehow miraculously pulled something out of my ass. It sounds like about half the class missed the question entirely.

One more week, and 1L is done forever. So incredibly hard to believe...
Our teacher did the same thing. We spent like 10 minutes on Iqbal and I didn't even know what it was. Luckily my roomie had to know it and she spent 5 minutes telling me about it, and i quickly added it to my outline, so, while my answer to the question wasn't good, I don't think I lost all of the points.

Baylan

Bronze

Post by Baylan » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:44 am

Turned in my take home for the BS random class that my school makes us take as 1Ls. That could very easily be a bigger pile of bullshit than my exams. No one has any idea what to do with that.

Cinco de Mayo will be awesome.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:24 pm

td6624 wrote:today i printed out all my notes

not sure why
No rollover printing?

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:38 pm

I fucking hate Property and my Property Professor. She has crammed 2 months worth of information in our last 2 days of class. Talk about super-terrible time management. Do I know anything about Mortgages, Deeds and Easements? Nope, because she taugh all of it in 2 days. Awful class. Just awful. And the final is in 11 days. Ks in 7 days! Bring it.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:43 pm

rad law wrote:Anyone have some solid future interest problems with answers they can send me?
When is your exam? I don't have any on hand but the book "A Possessory Estates and Future Interests Primer" by Peter Wendel is gold. Lots of practice problems and a run-through of the material. It's $4 on Amazon and you can always overnight it.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:33 pm

Property is done. Wrote almost 4000 words in 2.75 hrs. I have no clue how I did. I feel okay to good, which probably means I got a B or B+ on the "inverse feeling" scale. But I wrote a shitton and think I identified most if not all of the shit. Fuck waiting sucks. Oh well, on to Con and Crim next week.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:16 pm

two weeks till Blackout Town.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:00 pm

Quick, someone teach me Civ Pro (FRCP) in 5 easy sentences.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:05 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Quick, someone teach me Civ Pro (FRCP) in 5 easy sentences.
PJ/SMJ/venue/transfer/removal
Erie
Discovery
Jury trial
Claim/issue preclusion

donezo

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:10 pm

as stars burn wrote:
rad law wrote:Anyone have some solid future interest problems with answers they can send me?
When is your exam? I don't have any on hand but the book "A Possessory Estates and Future Interests Primer" by Peter Wendel is gold. Lots of practice problems and a run-through of the material. It's $4 on Amazon and you can always overnight it.
i learned future interests 100% from law in flash and gilberts

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:08 pm

Well property was exactly as little fun as I expected it to be.

uzpakalis

Bronze

Post by uzpakalis » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:25 pm

Con law just pwn'd me...there goes my shot at t14.... :cry:

....and employment, sigh :x

Rurik

Bronze

Post by Rurik » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:36 pm

uzpakalis wrote:Con law just pwn'd me...there goes my shot at t14.... :cry:

It's a good thing actual exam performance and the feeling you have after taking an exam are inversely related.

uzpakalis

Bronze

Post by uzpakalis » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:59 pm

Rurik wrote:

It's a good thing actual exam performance and the feeling you have after taking an exam are inversely related.
Will you call my prof and tell her that?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

geekrocker37

Bronze

Post by geekrocker37 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:04 pm

Rurik wrote:

Not necessarily true...

mbusch22

Bronze

Post by mbusch22 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:52 pm

fathergoose wrote:Well property was exactly as little fun as I expected it to be.
It feels so good to be done with that though. HUGE load of info off our shoulders. One More Week. I've got a bottle of Jameson Waiting.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:53 pm

mbusch22 wrote:
fathergoose wrote:Well property was exactly as little fun as I expected it to be.
It feels so good to be done with that though. HUGE load of info off our shoulders. One More Week. I've got a bottle of Jameson Waiting.
I need to redeem myself for passing out at the end of semester party last year.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:58 pm

I have absolutely no idea what to do to prepare for crim law. My outline is done, I've read the Dressler, I feel like I understand everything from my outline... but now what? Even though I feel the stuff, I feel so ill-prepared. She's never taught the course before, so she has no practice exams, and has given us almost no indication of what to expect with this exam. Ugh... I feel like I'm going to get owned on Monday.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:59 pm

DONE. TEQUILA'O'CLOCK. ITS GO TIME.

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:59 pm

romothesavior wrote:I have absolutely no idea what to do to prepare for crim law. My outline is done, I've read the Dressler, I feel like I understand everything from my outline... but now what? Even though I feel the stuff, I feel so ill-prepared. She's never taught the course before, so she has no practice exams, and has given us almost no indication of what to expect with this exam. Ugh... I feel like I'm going to get owned on Monday.
There are practice exams for 1 of 5 of my 1st year courses. For that class...2 exams. I feel your pain.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:01 pm

mbusch22 wrote:
I feel about 50 times better being done with that than I was after torts. Even if I did have to resort to copying from the textbook to justify grandma's ramp.

inchoate_con

Bronze

Post by inchoate_con » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:05 pm

as stars burn wrote:
I know "someone" that scanned the entire book. Send me a PM

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”