1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JCougar

Gold

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Post by JCougar » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:58 pm

bostonian wrote: Except you get paid to attend those boring meetings. When someone's paying me a lot of money, I'm willing to put up with a lot of shit. When I'm paying someone else, not so much.
Except that there's rules in place by both the schools and the ABA, and you have to follow them. Law school isn't only about learning the law. It's also about training you how to act like a professional. And that means following the rules -- even if they're pointless and they don't make practical sense. It's not a new revelation that 90% of class time is wasted time, whether it be law school or any other school. That doesn't mean you can blow off responsibility if it's explicitly been expected of you.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:04 pm

Holly Golightly wrote: OMG CAN YOU TELL ME MORE ABOUT REAL LIFE AND BEING AN ADULT PLEASE?!?!?!?!??!?!?! AND HOW IT RELATES TO GOING TO MY HORRIBLE CIVIL PROCEDURE CLASS THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CIVIL PROCEDURE????
Sure, I can tell you more.

The world is an irrational place. Therefore, you have to do many things that are completely pointless and a waste of your time to satisfy irrational powers that have power over you. No matter how much it blows, you still have to do it.

If your professor doesn't take attendance, than it's up to you what you want to do with your time. But if they explicitly spell out that you have to be there for a certain number of classes, and you're not there for that number of classes, and you get banned from taking the final, I have no sympathy for you.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:35 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Oh my god shut up.

bostonian

Bronze

Post by bostonian » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:10 pm

LOUD NOISES

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:17 pm

I should never have mentioned it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:19 pm

bostonian wrote:LOUD NOISES

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:20 pm

Sorry for sounding like people's dad, but just can't believe people who did well enough to get into NYU could be that irresponsible.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:24 pm

JCougar wrote:Sorry for sounding like people's dad, but just can't believe people who did well enough to get into NYU could be that irresponsible.
A 3.8 in Mayan Pottery and prep-course-boosted 170 do not a professional make, and that's not even considering those worthless splitters

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:34 pm

Sucks for those people. But did they know about it? If they knew about the rule, then they played with fire and got burned. If it was just some out of the blue thing, then that's crap.

Also, I'm pretty sure attendance is not an ABA rule. All of my profs have their own policies.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:41 pm

Cougar, what are you doing not gunning you gunning gunner mcgunnerson?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:42 pm

ITT: WUSTL outcasts try to cut down people at NYU out of spite and jealousy.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:43 pm

kalvano wrote:
Thirteen wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
beach_terror wrote: If you regularly skip class, I think that's a fair punishment. By regularly, I mean missing at least 25% of the classes.
We're all adults, and paying a lot of money for law school. Why shouldn't we be able to skip classes? I have multiple professors who teach nothing that will be relevant to my exams, and if I don't want to wake up at 7am to go hear my prof wax poetic about nonsense, I don't feel I should have to.
This.

Aren't two of our classes explicit in their "no required attendance" policy?
Probably. I didn't really pay attention when the profs were discussing that stuff.

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:47 pm

romothesavior wrote:Sucks for those people. But did they know about it? If they knew about the rule, then they played with fire and got burned. If it was just some out of the blue thing, then that's crap.

Also, I'm pretty sure attendance is not an ABA rule. All of my profs have their own policies.
Yeah, it actually is an ABA rule. Schools have to verify that students have attended at least 80% of classes. If profs want to impose stricter standards they can, but they're can't (or at least aren't supposed to) go lower than that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:49 pm

king3780 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Sucks for those people. But did they know about it? If they knew about the rule, then they played with fire and got burned. If it was just some out of the blue thing, then that's crap.

Yeah, it actually is an ABA rule. Schools have to verify that students have attended at least 80% of classes. If profs want to impose stricter standards they can, but they're can't (or at least aren't supposed to) go lower than that.
Interesting. My profs all sorta do their own thing, I don't think attendance is too strict at WUSTL.

Glad to hear the ABA is more concerned with students sitting through pointless lectures than they are about the rampant oversaturation of the legal market. Fuckers.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:52 pm

stratocophic wrote:
JCougar wrote:Sorry for sounding like people's dad, but just can't believe people who did well enough to get into NYU could be that irresponsible.
A 3.8 in Mayan Pottery and prep-course-boosted 170 do not a professional make, and that's not even considering those worthless splitters
Fucking spiller losers.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:53 pm

romothesavior wrote:ITT: WUSTL outcasts try to cut down people at NYU out of spite and jealousy.
Hah. :)

I don't have any problem with people at NYU. Kudos to them. It just wasn't previously in the realm of possibilities in my mind that someone would blow off their classes to that extent there -- no matter how pointless classes are. If you ask me, that would be an incredible opportunity that I wouldn't want to waste.
Last edited by JCougar on Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:54 pm

king3780 wrote:

And how do the schools verify this when most profs don't take attendance?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:58 pm

beach_terror wrote:
bostonian wrote:LOUD NOISES
win

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:58 pm

JCougar wrote:
romothesavior wrote:ITT: WUSTL outcasts try to cut down people at NYU out of spite and jealousy.

I don't have any problem with people at NYU. Kudos to them. It just wasn't previously in the realm of possibilities in my mind that someone would blow off their classes to that extent there -- no matter how pointless classes are. If you ask me, that would be an incredible opportunity that I wouldn't want to waste.
no matter how pointless? if you went into class and they were talking about rainbows and butterflies in civ pro, you'd still be attending? one of my classes this semester was pretty fucking awful, and if there weren't any attendance policies i would have attended probably about half of them.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:01 pm

dailygrind wrote:
JCougar wrote:

no matter how pointless? if you went into class and they were talking about rainbows and butterflies in civ pro, you'd still be attending? one of my classes this semester was pretty fucking awful, and if there weren't any attendance policies i would have attended probably about half of them.
But the key question is whether there was an explicit policy. If you knew that missing rainbows and butterflies hour would lead to you failing the course, of course you would be there. My Ks class the last few weeks has been totally pointless... basically a huge circle jerk of students giving their uneducated thoughts. We all moan about it, but we still go so we don't get in trouble.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:03 pm

nevermind

holly already asked

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:05 pm

dailygrind wrote: no matter how pointless? if you went into class and they were talking about rainbows and butterflies in civ pro, you'd still be attending? one of my classes this semester was pretty fucking awful, and if there weren't any attendance policies i would have attended probably about half of them.
I'm really only talking about classes where there are attendance policies. If there's no requirement to attend, you can use your own judgement. But schools have plenty of good reasons to impose their own attendance policies...part of it helps build professionalism.

I haven't had a class yet where it was worthless to attend, though. The one that comes closest for me also has the strictest attendance policy (no more than 3 absences all semester).

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:06 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
king3780 wrote:

I can't say how individual profs deal with it, but my guess is the ones that don't care just report to the dean that everyone in the class met the attendance requirement, the dean doesn't question it and submits it to the ABA and the ABA doesn't question it. If the dean or ABA says anything, the prof "lost" his attendance sheets or something like that. I think how strictly schools comply with the rule is a case-by-case basis. My school makes a big deal about. Other schools apparently don't.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:10 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
king3780 wrote:

My only class that took attendance was LRW.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:15 pm

king3780 wrote: I can't say how individual profs deal with it, but my guess is the ones that don't care just report to the dean that everyone in the class met the attendance requirement, the dean doesn't question it and submits it to the ABA and the ABA doesn't question it. If the dean or ABA says anything, the prof "lost" his attendance sheets or something like that. I think how strictly schools comply with the rule is a case-by-case basis. My school makes a big deal about. Other schools apparently don't.
attendance sheets? seriously? we have 55 minute classes and the prof starts talking on minute one and doesn't stop. Only way he'll know you're not there is if he calls on you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”