1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
beach_terror

Platinum

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Post by beach_terror » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:58 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Currently dragging ass in the library, not in the mood to reread the torts E&E for the 8th time.

I just want to get a bottle of rum and play FIFA 11 all winter break.
tell me about it i've been reading the same sentence for the 5th time right now
I've been sitting in the library today just watching shows on Hulu.

I've been here for 3 hours.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:06 pm

beach_terror wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Currently dragging ass in the library, not in the mood to reread the torts E&E for the 8th time.

I just want to get a bottle of rum and play FIFA 11 all winter break.
tell me about it i've been reading the same sentence for the 5th time right now
I've been sitting in the library today just watching shows on Hulu.

I've been here for 3 hours.
eek. i've been here for only 2 you're not that ahead

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:53 pm

goosey wrote:i thought I did awesome on civ pro--starting to think I was *very* wrong...the more I talk to people the more I am like omg I messed up..and not just bc I am taking their word over my own--but because I know they're right! I can now count 4 questions off the top of my head I got wrong on the multiple choice.

who knows how many others there are :-/

there was this one question about a limited liability partnership..he sat there naming where all the partners resided--it was about subject matter jurisdiction. He said they were incorporated in Michigan and principal place of business was michigan. I thought "its a corporation, they have two places of citizenship"---but apparently a partnership can still be "incorporated" and then not have only 2 places of citizenship, since partnerships=wherever the partners are. So basically, I thought it was a corporation and treated it as such.

so basically, I got both questions about that fact pattern wrong, b/c I dont know anything about business :cry: :cry: :cry:

Stop talking to people about the exam.

lightsandbuzz

New

Post by lightsandbuzz » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:59 pm

Just woke up from an accidental hour-long nap on the couch while I was attempting to outline for crim law. Can't wait for this exam.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:05 pm

Goosey, I second Kalvano's advice on not talking to others. There are little benefits, and extremely high costs.

Just some advice, whenever I find myself with something on an exam that I'm unsure of fact-wise, I state I'm making an assumption and then analyze under that assumption. After, I make the opposite assumption, and analyze under that. If you encounter something like this again where you feel like you're making an inference to go either way, split your analysis.
[I'm unsure of whether an LLC being incorporated changes it to a corporation or if it's still an LLC, here I'm going to analyze under the assumption that it incorporating does not change it being an LLC]

then

[Now, I'm operating under the assumption that an LLC being incorporated does in fact change the LLC to a corporation]
This is probably why my word count on my exams gets exceedingly high, but better safe than sorry IMO.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

uci2013

Bronze

Post by uci2013 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:17 pm

Done! Woo-hoo!

Good luck to those still taking exams. And thanks to those of you who answered my civ pro question earlier in the week.

If I do well I will have to credit Law in a Flash, Glannon and practice exams. I feel worst about crim - but we only had one practice exam and midterm to look at and this exam was not what I expected given those two things. Where I had 5 practice exams to look at, I at least felt like I knew what to expect.

Charles Barkley

Bronze

Post by Charles Barkley » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:22 pm

Finished as well. Thanks to everyone who helped me during the process.

Good luck to everyone else still truckin' along.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:35 pm

kalvano wrote:
goosey wrote:i thought I did awesome on civ pro--starting to think I was *very* wrong...the more I talk to people the more I am like omg I messed up..and not just bc I am taking their word over my own--but because I know they're right! I can now count 4 questions off the top of my head I got wrong on the multiple choice.

who knows how many others there are :-/

there was this one question about a limited liability partnership..he sat there naming where all the partners resided--it was about subject matter jurisdiction. He said they were incorporated in Michigan and principal place of business was michigan. I thought "its a corporation, they have two places of citizenship"---but apparently a partnership can still be "incorporated" and then not have only 2 places of citizenship, since partnerships=wherever the partners are. So basically, I thought it was a corporation and treated it as such.

so basically, I got both questions about that fact pattern wrong, b/c I dont know anything about business :cry: :cry: :cry:

Stop talking to people about the exam.
+1. We call that post mortem-ing an exam over here. The only thing it does is make you feel like shit. Don't do it.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:38 pm

beach_terror wrote:Goosey, I second Kalvano's advice on not talking to others. There are little benefits, and extremely high costs.

Just some advice, whenever I find myself with something on an exam that I'm unsure of fact-wise, I state I'm making an assumption and then analyze under that assumption. After, I make the opposite assumption, and analyze under that. If you encounter something like this again where you feel like you're making an inference to go either way, split your analysis.
[I'm unsure of whether an LLC being incorporated changes it to a corporation or if it's still an LLC, here I'm going to analyze under the assumption that it incorporating does not change it being an LLC]

then

[Now, I'm operating under the assumption that an LLC being incorporated does in fact change the LLC to a corporation]
This is probably why my word count on my exams gets exceedingly high, but better safe than sorry IMO.
cant do that on multiple choice :-/

and yeah..I need to stop talking to ppl about it. But its like crack--I mean, if I knew what being a crack head was like, I would imagine its a little something like this: you know its bad for you, but you just *have* to do it. just this one last time. except its never the last time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:42 pm

Oh, multiple choice... gross. I have that on my torts exam on Tuesday

go4hls

New

Post by go4hls » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:43 pm

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNE. AND. DONE.

Thank you and good bye. :D

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:18 pm

anyone know anything about failure to warn in torts

is there generally no failure to warn--for ex, crazy lady that you knwo is crazy and you just let her keep walking without calling 911

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:29 pm

must.finish.strong.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:37 pm

...and done!

Baylan

Bronze

Post by Baylan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:58 pm

goosey wrote:anyone know anything about failure to warn in torts

is there generally no failure to warn--for ex, crazy lady that you knwo is crazy and you just let her keep walking without calling 911
Unless you have an affirmative duty (create the harm, special relationship, contractual relationship, gratuitious undertaking, etc.) there is no duty to warn or to help.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:02 pm

nooyyllib wrote:must.finish.strong.
I could go for a Jeffrey right about now

uci2013

Bronze

Post by uci2013 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:12 pm

as stars burn wrote:
Baylan wrote:Who still has exams?

1 to go... Monday.. 9:30am... Civ Pro death.
My LAST one starts in 5.5 hours. Praise God. I'm at the point where I just want it to be over. I'm 1200 miles from my fiancé, and cannot wait to fly home in a few days. Plus, of course, get absolutely obliterated tonight. I contemplated bringing a bottle of vodka with me to the exam at school so I can take a few shots right after the exam.
Oh man 1200 miles away from fiance has to be super tough. Enjoy your time with him after finals.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:18 pm

uci2013 wrote:
as stars burn wrote:
Baylan wrote:Who still has exams?

1 to go... Monday.. 9:30am... Civ Pro death.
My LAST one starts in 5.5 hours. Praise God. I'm at the point where I just want it to be over. I'm 1200 miles from my fiancé, and cannot wait to fly home in a few days. Plus, of course, get absolutely obliterated tonight. I contemplated bringing a bottle of vodka with me to the exam at school so I can take a few shots right after the exam.
Oh man 1200 miles away from fiance has to be super tough. Enjoy your time with him after finals.
I seriously dont know how anybody can get through 1L single. If I didnt have my fiance, I'd probably have gone crazy. I think you can take comfort in knowing that him being 1200 miles away really doesnt matter. My fiance works about 5 miles away from my school and I have seen him 4 times total all semester. He might as well have lived 1200 miles away because we essentially just have a phone relationship. But i cant wait to see him after the 21st :D

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:21 pm

goosey wrote: I seriously dont know how anybody can get through 1L single.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBDF04fQKtQ

bostonian

Bronze

Post by bostonian » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:22 pm

I haven't /self yet

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:23 pm

goosey wrote:I seriously dont know how anybody can get through 1L single.
No baby mama, no drama.
beach_terror wrote:I could go for a Jeffrey right about now
I'll take a shot of 151

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:24 pm

goosey wrote: I seriously dont know how anybody can get through 1L single without getting laid.
FTFY

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:27 pm

I'm not even done with finals, BUT I'M DONE WITH CRIM!! THANK FUCKING GOD!

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:27 pm

beach_terror wrote:
goosey wrote: I seriously dont know how anybody can get through 1L single without getting laid.
FTFY
you are really at the brink huh?

I see many potential funny/ridiculous situations occurring on the 21st
Last edited by stayway on Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:29 pm

bostonian wrote:
I haven't /self yet
I think I cried once a week starting from the middle-ish of September...and even being engaged and only having far-away support was really frustrating. I just wanted to be married so I could home to someone and be hugged :oops:
I feel like law school is a very lonely experience, bc the only people that know what youre going through are your classmates---the rest of the outside world doesnt get it. But atleast with your significant other, you just have that constant support where even if they dont totally understand, you still have someone that isnt your competition that you can go home to and be like "kjshdkjhskjfhds!!!!!!" and theyll still love you :)

ps-what does ftfy mean?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”